a life divided, painting by artist who escaped Nazis

Vivien

Reply Sun 30 Jan, 2005 08:37 am
Some time ago Leicester Museum had a really moving exhibition of the work of this artist.

It came into my mind with the Holocaust anniversary and I thought it might interest some of you.

The exhibition was really well put together to show the atmosphere in Germany at the time, how Koelz had to escape quickly, the painting was cut up and given out to various friends for safekeeping. His daughter only learnt about it as an adult and set about tracking down the pieces - many are still missing.

link to museum website
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 1,013 • Replies: 2
No top replies

ossobuco

Reply Thu 17 Feb, 2005 10:18 pm
I was interested, Vivien, but didn't post. Am posting now to bump the thread up for attention...
0 Replies

Vivien

Reply Fri 18 Feb, 2005 04:02 am
thanks Osso

I don't think he was on the whole a great great artist - the small paintings shown in the exhibition were very average but the large painting and its story had a huge resonance.

It really was huge and painted with an anti war passion

The way the museum displayed it and had panels with a background following his story and the rise of the fascists in Germany and the holocaust was brilliantly done.

School groups visited and I think will have gained a terrific insight into that time from it.

His daughter was unaware of the painting and the story until after his death and continues to try to track down the missing pieces - they had a black and white photo of the painting before it was cut up, so in the display they were able to recreate the whole, putting in the missing pieces in black and white.
0 Replies