Any advice to repair a torn blank canvas

Reply Sat 29 Jan, 2005 01:28 pm
Hi, I have a blank canvas that has a five inch tear, its a large canvase 2' X 6' so it is worth repairing. The tear is in the upper half, somewhat centered. The canvas is primed with gesso. I have additional canvas - but do not know the proper glue or adhesive to adhere the canvas patch. I am assuming I would adhere the patch to the back of the canvas and fill the resulting void on the front of the canvas with layers of gesso. I would prefer to not get involved with exotic substances or mixtures that stem from renaissance preparations, but rather use conventional glues or adhesives. I know that might not be the smartest choice, but.....
I will eventually be painting on the canvas with acrylic medium. Thanks for your help in advance!
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 1,964 • Replies: 12
No top replies

Portal Star

Reply Sat 29 Jan, 2005 01:54 pm
At this point, I think it would be best to simply remove the staples and stretch new canvas over it. It's not worth having to fuss with once there's paint on it in the future if your repair doesn't work out.
0 Replies

JLNobody

Reply Sun 30 Jan, 2005 03:53 pm
jpmartdog, your plan sounds right to me, patching the tear on the back and then gessoing both the front and the back good. Gesso is a great glue. On the tear itself you might put some acrylic medium as well: it is a powerful glue and would harmonize with the gessor very well. I'm no expert on such matters (though I paint a lot with acrylic on canvas), but this is my hunch. good luck.
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Sun 30 Jan, 2005 05:11 pm
glue a patch with gesso and then how about putting apiece of masonite as a backing.
0 Replies

JLNobody

Reply Sun 30 Jan, 2005 05:28 pm
Good idea, Farmerman. What about a perfect fitting plywood?
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Sun 30 Jan, 2005 05:34 pm
I'd make two canvases around stretcher bars (the fat ones), if the tear would work our that you could do that.
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Sun 30 Jan, 2005 06:39 pm
Rethinking my board backing there would be a square "bump" on the front of the canvas.
0 Replies

JLNobody

Reply Sun 30 Jan, 2005 07:00 pm
That's why I suggested a "perfect fitting"....From frame to frame. It would be like glueing the canvas to a (plywood or masonite) backing.
0 Replies

Vivien

Reply Mon 31 Jan, 2005 01:12 am
canvas isn't too expensive - I'd go with Portal and restretch it with new canvas, not patch. You can use the canvas to make a couple of smaller ones then?

Having said that, a superb 6ft+ square painting by Kurt Jackson in a top London gallery was done on an old duvet cover (mounted on stretcher, wood?) with a large patch - so ......
0 Replies

shepaints

Reply Mon 31 Jan, 2005 08:26 am
Some use surgical needles and nylon thread to
sew up the tear using a sort of grid system. It
is then possible to patch the canvas on the
reverse side (the verso) with adhesive and gauze....this would eliminate the "bump" problem.

All too labour intensive....since it would seem
that a lot of hours will be invested in a canvas
of this size, I'd go with restretching with
new canvas.
0 Replies

JLNobody

Reply Mon 31 Jan, 2005 11:14 am
Vivien and Shepaints, that sounds right. It would seem that the problem would arise if the tear was on a painted canvas.
Have you recovered, Vivien?
0 Replies

Vivien

Reply Tue 1 Feb, 2005 09:41 am
yes thanks Very Happy . almost back to normal. Soon to start painting (buried in overdue paperwork at the moment Crying or Very sad )

I need to start painting as I've got several ideas buzzing and some exhibitions coming up and some new galleries to go and see.

Hoping to go to the Turner, Monet, Whistler exhibtion this month at Tate Britain and go to Cork street at the same time and see what's for sale in the contemporary galleries. (just to look I must add!)

Unfortunately the latest Kurt Jackson will be finished by then but for those of you who liked his work here's a link

Messum's - Kurt Jackson exhibition - nice site
0 Replies

shepaints

Reply Wed 2 Feb, 2005 08:02 am
Great link Vivien, thanks for introducing us to
that artist.
0 Replies