440v 3-phase TO 220v single-phase welder

Reply Wed 7 Feb, 2018 01:28 pm
I work for a welding company and am working on a ship that only has 440v 3-phase power. My welding machine requires 220v single-phase 50A. I assume the only way to do this is with a transformer. If there is a cheaper way I would like to go that route. If not I would like to know what type of transformer to buy and how to wire it up.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 0 • Views: 757 • Replies: 3
No top replies

dalehileman

Reply Wed 7 Feb, 2018 01:48 pm
@TrickyDicky,
Dick there are two diff kinds of 3-phase, one w/ central com and one without. The one with a com should give ya 3 x 220 v . However, 50 amp is quite a load and so you should first check with your Cap

https://www.belden.com/blog/data-centers/3-phase-power-wye-it-matters
dalehileman

Reply Thu 8 Feb, 2018 01:22 pm
@dalehileman,
So Tric, what'd he say
0 Replies

taopathway

Reply Tue 4 Dec, 2018 10:17 pm
@TrickyDicky,
don't take my word as you would a professional, from what I understand a three phase is Black Red Blue meaning circuit/breaker 1 is blck, 2 is red, 3 is blue, 4 is blckā€¦.., so each color or number is a single phase hence three phase. high voltage which 440 is considered if I remember correct is Brown Orange Yellow. so in theory you would have to hit one color twice to use that same phase. You cant technically do this since your double pole breaker could be one piece it would have to be separated by the following two phase breakers.

I read that you could run a distribution panel off of one phase and from there put a double pole50 a breaker
they make 3 phase step down transformers
0 Replies