Marijuana: beyond the social biases

kickycan

Reply Sun 30 Jan, 2005 10:23 am
Cyracuz wrote:
Yea, doesn't making plants that grow in nature against the law strike you as a bit.... unnatural?

Aaah, a fellow Bill Hicks fan, I see.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Sun 30 Jan, 2005 03:04 pm
I thought I just noticed BPB's ear twitch...
0 Replies

joefromchicago

Reply Mon 31 Jan, 2005 09:54 am
Instigate wrote:
We should decriminalize pot because its basically uncontrollable.

So is murder.

Instigate wrote:
There would probably be an intitial surge in use were it to be decriminalized, but I think it would eventually fall to the levels that we see now.

Upon what evidence do you base this prediction?
0 Replies

joefromchicago

Reply Mon 31 Jan, 2005 09:56 am
Cyracuz wrote:
And because it's pot I smoke I can see that it's necessary too.

"Necessary" in what sense?
0 Replies

paul andrew bourne

Reply Mon 31 Jan, 2005 02:09 pm
"When is killing someone justified in your mind?"
By Paul Andrew Bourne, MSc. (candidate); BSc. (Hons); Dip. Edu.

As an individual who believes in freedom of expression within the construct of not infringing on someone's rights, the Bible gives the impression that killing is justifiable. On the other hand, many moralists argue that the taking of someone's life is a "sin". Because I am not aware of the "realness' of sin, when is the taking of life justifiable?
0 Replies

blueveinedthrobber

Reply Mon 31 Jan, 2005 02:13 pm
Re: "When is killing someone justified in your mind?&qu
paul andrew bourne wrote:

As an individual who believes in freedom of expression within the construct of not infringing on someone's rights, the Bible gives the impression that killing is justifiable. On the other hand, many moralists argue that the taking of someone's life is a "sin". Because I am not aware of the "realness' of sin, when is the taking of life justifiable?

when the bitch deserves it?
0 Replies

paul andrew bourne

Reply Mon 31 Jan, 2005 02:24 pm
"bitch!"

I must begin that words are social construct but their means are understood therein. As such, in order that we gain from each other socialization, we need to respect all culture. With this position, the word "bitch" denotes negativity to which does not add quality to a discourse and as such let us avoid those word. The reason here is our world is already experiencing enough of this construct.

With this base, let us refocus our mind on the discourse.
0 Replies

Bella Dea

Reply Mon 31 Jan, 2005 02:34 pm
You never hear about all the people killed by high drivers but you sure can't ignore all those killed by drunk drivers.

You never hear about some guy getting stupid at a bar because he's high and smashing in some other guys face but you'd be lying if you'd never hear of a guy stabbing some other guy over a girl because he was drunk.

When you're drunk you get loud, obnoxious and sometimes violent (liquid courage).

When you're high you get philosophical and hungry.

Why is it that alcohol is legal and pot isn't?
0 Replies

paul andrew bourne

Reply Mon 31 Jan, 2005 06:49 pm
Mystery

The question that you have posed is a mystery or is it not?.
0 Replies

Instigate

Reply Mon 31 Jan, 2005 07:09 pm
joefromchicago wrote:
Instigate wrote:

So is murder.

The only parallels between murder and marijuana is that they are both uncontrollable and they are both illegal. The similarities end there. Marijuana use harms only the user, it is a victimless crime.

I am not advocating legalization, only the decriminalization(no punishment, only seizure of contraband)) of small amounts for personal use, 1 to 2 ounces or a plant or two. Laws addressing the smuggling of cannabis and possesion with intent to distribute(the supply side) should remain as they are.

joefromchicago wrote:
Instigate wrote:
There would probably be an intitial surge in use were it to be decriminalized, but I think it would eventually fall to the levels that we see now.

Upon what evidence do you base this prediction?

Its based primarily upon the theory, as I have observed it, that the illegality of marijuana possesion is a poor deterent to its use. People who want to smoke pot are going to smoke it. The punishment for possesion of marijuana is merely a nuisance to most people who are caught. Some probabtion, a little community service, fines etc. Every person I know that has been arrested for possesion has gone back to smoking the stuff after they have fulfilled the terms of their punishment. The laws dont work very well, they just cost money.
0 Replies

theantibuddha

Reply Tue 1 Feb, 2005 08:15 am
Re: "bitch!"
paul andrew bourne wrote:
With this base, let us refocus our mind on the discourse.

And I thought -I- was being pretentious. I've got to try harder.

I mean... Additionally I had presupposed a certain element of exacerbated verbosity and formality within the general tone of my vocabulary though contemporaneous comparison reveals that perhaps my degree of effort was insufficient to the task at hand.

Wink
0 Replies

joefromchicago

Reply Tue 1 Feb, 2005 09:55 am
Instigate wrote:
joefromchicago wrote:
Instigate wrote:

So is murder.

The only parallels between murder and marijuana is that they are both uncontrollable and they are both illegal. The similarities end there. Marijuana use harms only the user, it is a victimless crime.

Then you don't contend that marijuana should be decriminalized because it is uncontrollable, right?

Instigate wrote:
I am not advocating legalization, only the decriminalization(no punishment, only seizure of contraband)) of small amounts for personal use, 1 to 2 ounces or a plant or two. Laws addressing the smuggling of cannabis and possesion with intent to distribute(the supply side) should remain as they are.

I don't understand your position. Are you suggesting that marijuana is more harmful than some other legal substances, such as tobacco and alcohol, and thus merits additional restrictions on its use?

Instigate wrote:
Its based primarily upon the theory, as I have observed it, that the illegality of marijuana possesion is a poor deterent to its use. People who want to smoke pot are going to smoke it. The punishment for possesion of marijuana is merely a nuisance to most people who are caught. Some probabtion, a little community service, fines etc. Every person I know that has been arrested for possesion has gone back to smoking the stuff after they have fulfilled the terms of their punishment. The laws dont work very well, they just cost money.

Or, in other words, it's based on a hunch.

Would your position change if you thought that marijuana usage would increase once it had been decriminalized?
0 Replies

Instigate

Reply Tue 1 Feb, 2005 09:02 pm
joefromchicago wrote:
Instigate wrote:
joefromchicago wrote:
Instigate wrote:

So is murder.

Then you don't contend that marijuana should be decriminalized because it is uncontrollable, right?

Wrong. I'm not sure how you came to that conclusion. There is no conflict between my statements. The "victimless" claim was merely an addendum to establish the primary difference between murder and marijuana.

joefromchicago wrote:
Instigate wrote:

I don't understand your position. Are you suggesting that marijuana is more harmful than some other legal substances, such as tobacco and alcohol, and thus merits additional restrictions on its use?

I have mentioned neither alcohol or tobacco in any of my posts on this thread. I have no clue what prompted your question nor do I find my statements to be particularly obscure or confusing.

joefromchicago wrote:
Instigate wrote:

Or, in other words, it's based on a hunch.

Would your position change if you thought that marijuana usage would increase once it had been decriminalized?

If you consider personal observations to be a hunch than I suppose thats what it is; however, I have located evidence that corroborates my statements. You may take issue with the location of this evidence but please take note of its various sources. Marijuana Decriminalization and its Impact on use

I suppose your question is now moot.
0 Replies

joefromchicago

Reply Tue 1 Feb, 2005 11:53 pm
Instigate wrote:
Wrong. I'm not sure how you came to that conclusion. There is no conflict between my statements. The "victimless" claim was merely an addendum to establish the primary difference between murder and marijuana.

You initially stated that marijuana should be decriminalized because it is "uncontrollable." Then you admitted that murder is also uncontrollable. If I can presume that you do not want to decriminalize murder, then "uncontrollability" is not a sufficient reason to decriminalize anything (if it were, then you'd be in favor of decriminalizing murder). And you pretty much admitted as much when you added that marijuana was a "victimless crime."

Instigate wrote:
I have mentioned neither alcohol or tobacco in any of my posts on this thread. I have no clue what prompted your question nor do I find my statements to be particularly obscure or confusing.

I didn't say that you mentioned alcohol or tobacco. I mentioned them in order to determine the reasons for your favoring decriminalization rather than legalization. As for your statements being obscure or confusing, you should see them from my vantage point.

Instigate wrote:
If you consider personal observations to be a hunch than I suppose thats what it is; however, I have located evidence that corroborates my statements. You may take issue with the location of this evidence but please take note of its various sources. Marijuana Decriminalization and its Impact on use

NORML doesn't know what the consequences of decriminalization will be any more than anyone else. At most, they can offer some reasonable hunches.

Instigate wrote:
I suppose your question is now moot.

No, it is not moot. Would your position change if you thought that marijuana usage would increase once it had been decriminalized?
0 Replies

puffthemajicdragonallday

Reply Fri 4 Feb, 2005 05:10 pm
jesus wept joe
0 Replies

joefromchicago

Reply Sat 5 Feb, 2005 11:32 am
puffthemajicdragonallday wrote:
jesus wept joe

No doubt. I would also add that Jesus laughed, Jesus burped, Jesus drank, Jesus had, on occasion, to see a man about a horse, Jesus walked, Jesus slept, Jesus sang, and, presumably, Jesus farted.

Your turn.
0 Replies