HABIB - released from US detention, but still "suspect".

Phoenix32890

Reply Fri 28 Jan, 2005 07:05 am
Msolga- I had this long reply to this post, but I hit the wrong button, and blew it away! Rolling Eyes I will attempt to reconstruct it.

Quote:
This is what is making many of us so very angry. That our government is so blindly subservient to the US government's position on terrorism that it fails to uphold the basic rights of it's own citizens.

This is beginning to sound quite different from what has been mentioned before. Apparently the real anger is no really about Mr. Habib in particular, but that Australians believe that their government is blindly following American policy.

Quote:
During the same period the Oz government has intervened on behalf of Australians accused of drug offences in Asia.

Did it ever occur to Australians that the reason that the government did NOT intervene in Mr. Habib's behalf, was that they agreed with the American stance on terrorism, but possibly did not want to fuel a political backlash within the country?

Quote:
Furthermore the Australian government has denied knowledge of his torture, despite US documents stating the opposite.

Again, apparently, what happened to Mr. Habib had the tacit approval of the Australian government. Secondly, the word "torture" is often bandied about. I think that there is disagreement amongst many people as to what constitutes, "torture".
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Fri 28 Jan, 2005 07:16 am
Phoenix32890 wrote:
[...] the word "torture" is often bandied about. I think that there is disagreement amongst many people as to what constitutes, "torture".

Not really. The USA signed this as well:

"Convention against Torture and Other Cruel, Inhuman or Degrading Treatment or Punishment"

Quote:
For the purposes of this Convention, the term "torture" means any act by which severe pain or suffering, whether physical or mental, is intentionally inflicted on a person for such purposes as obtaining from him or a third person information or a confession, punishing him for an act he or a third person has committed or is suspected of having committed, or intimidating or coercing him or a third person, or for any reason based on discrimination of any kind, when such pain or suffering is inflicted by or at the instigation of or with the consent or acquiescence of a public official or other person acting in an official capacity. It does not include pain or suffering arising only from, inherent in or incidental to lawful sanctions.
Source
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Fri 28 Jan, 2005 07:18 am
Hmmm - I think it goes well beyond torture.

The majority of Australians never approved of Iraq II.

I think the current government DOES, genuinely, believe the same way as the American government does, sadly.

However, most governments, including your other Iraq ally, the UK, was not so blind as to allow the incarceration without open charge, legal personhood status, recourse re treatment, trial etc etc of its citizens in the indefensible situation of Guantanamo which your own army legal people and, now, your own courts, do not uphold.

One can suspect a citizen of something, and support their being tried and interrogated, but not consent without protest to their appalling treatment at the hands of an ally - I am aware of no other western nation which has done this.

In my view it is shameful.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Fri 28 Jan, 2005 07:22 am
As for torture being bandied about, your administration has been shown to have supported treatmet which is forbidden by the international agreements your country has signed, Phoenix - and for which they would shrilly and rightly have condemened any other country!!!!! Or terrorist organisation....but, we do not expect better form the evil terrorists, do we?

Have our countries no better standards to adhere to - especially of they are to go about invading other countries, and murdering their citizens, because we believe (or say we do) we have a moral high ground from which to do so?
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Fri 28 Jan, 2005 07:26 am
dlowan wrote:

In my view it is shameful.

Regarding that the UK has as strong anti terrorism laws as the USa - and that they just let those Guantamo go home, I would say, if I were an Australian, 'very shameful'.

Which brings me back to Phoenix' argument that Australia didn't have anti-terrorism laws at that time: following this logic, at least those persons from Iran, Iraq, Syria, Jordania, Pakistan etc had had to be released at once.

However, I've thought that they were trying to keep them under US law.

No, under martial law it was.

Wrong again, I think.

Never mind, some Wild West Law.
0 Replies

McGentrix

Reply Fri 28 Jan, 2005 07:38 am
Another example of taking a believing what a terrorist says. No wonder Osama has so many followers, he is just assumed to be innocent by them.
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Fri 28 Jan, 2005 07:42 am
This is beginning to sound quite different from what has been mentioned before. Apparently the real anger is no really about Mr. Habib in particular, but that Australians believe that their government is blindly following American policy.

No, read the thread from the beginning, Phoenix. The anger is that this has happened to Mr Habib. It wouldn't have happened (not to this extent, anyway) had the Australian government been less compliant in it's relationship to the US government.
0 Replies

McGentrix

Reply Fri 28 Jan, 2005 07:44 am
It also wouldn't of happened if Mr. Habib had not been actively assissting terrorists.
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Fri 28 Jan, 2005 07:46 am
Walter Hinteler wrote:
..Which brings me back to Phoenix' argument that Australia didn't have anti-terrorism laws at that time: following this logic, at least those persons from Iran, Iraq, Syria, Jordania, Pakistan etc had had to be released at once.

However, I've thought that they were trying to keep them under US law.

No, under martial law it was.

Wrong again, I think.

Never mind, some Wild West Law.

Laughing Or simply whatever they could get away with?
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Fri 28 Jan, 2005 07:46 am
McGentrix wrote:
It also wouldn't of happened if Mr. Habib had not been actively assissting terrorists.

REPEAT: It hasn't been proved!
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Fri 28 Jan, 2005 08:14 am
McGentrix wrote:
Another example of taking a believing what a terrorist says.

A bit about "presumption of the law", like "Innocent until proven guilty".

Presumptions in law give the fact finder, judge or jury, a starting position from which to hear the evidence. The presumption of innocence is a starting position in evidence. If there is no evidence heard, then the presumption of innocence dictates an acquittal. The presumption of innocence is based upon the premise that most people obey the law; but since, obviously, not everyone does, the system allows for the rebuttal of the presumption by placing the burden of proof upon the state to come forth with sufficient evidence to rebut the presumption. In a criminal case that burden of proof is beyond reasonable doubt .

Going back to the Romans, the most important case of this law in the USA has been:

COFFIN v. U.S., 156 U.S. 432 (1895)

"The principle that there is a presumption of innocence in favor of the accused is the undoubted law, axiomatic and elementary, and its enforcement lies at the foundation of the administration of our criminal law. [156 U.S. 432, 454] It is stated as unquestioned in the textbooks, and has been referred to as a matter of course in the decisions of this court and in the courts of the several states. See 1 Tayl. Ev. c. 5, 126, 127; Wills, Circ. Ev. c. 5, 91; Best. Pres. pt. 2, c. 1, 63, 64; Id. c. 3, 31-58; Greenl. Ev. pt. 5, 29, etc.; 11 Cr. Law Mag. 3; Whart. Ev. 1244; 2 Phil. Ev. ( Cowen & Hill's Notes) p. 289; Lilienthal's Tobacco v. U. S., 97 U.S. 237 ; Hopt v. Utah, 120 U.S. 430 , 7 Sup. Ct. 614; Com. v. Webster, 5 Cush. 320; State v. Bartlett, 43 N. H. 224; Alexander v. People, 96 Ill. 96; People v. Fairchild, 48 Mich. 31, 11 N. W. 773; People v. Millard, 53 Mich. 63, 18 N. W. 562; Com. v. Whittaker, 131 Mass. 224; Blake v. State, 3 Tex. App. 581; Wharton v. State, 73 Ala. 366; State v. Tibbetts, 35 Me. 81; Moorer v. State, 44 Ala. 15.

"Greenleaf traces this presumption to Deuteronomy, and quotes Mascardius Do Probationibus to show that it was substantially embodied in the laws of Sparta and Athens. On Evidence, pt. 5, 29, note. Whether Greenleaf is correct or not in this view, there can be no question that the Roman law was pervaded with the results of this maxim of criminal administration, as the following extracts show:

'Let all accusers understand that they are not to prefer charges unless they can be proven by proper witnesses or by conclusive documents, or by circumstantial evidence which amounts to indubitable proof and is clearer than day.' Code, L. 4, tit. 20, 1, l. 25.

'The noble (divus) Trajan wrote to Julius Frontonus that no man should be condemned on a criminal charge in his absence, because it was better to let the crime of a guilty person go unpunished than to condemn the innocent.' Dig. L. 48, tit. 19, l. 5.
'In all case of doubt the most merciful construction of facts should be preferred.' Dig. L. 50, tit. 17, l. 56.

'In criminal cases the milder construction shall always be preserved.' Dig. L. 50, tit. 17, 1, 155, 2.

'In cases of doubt it is no less just than it is safe to adopt the milder construction.' Dig. L. 50, tit. 17, l. 192, 1. [156 U.S. 432, 455] Ammianus Marcellinus relates an anecdote of the Emperor Julian which illustrates the enforcement of this principle in the Roman law. Numerius, the governor of Narbonensis, was on trial before the emperor, and, contrary to the usage in criminal cases, the trial was public. Numerius contented himself with denying his guilt, and there was not sufficient proof against him. His adversary, Delphidius, 'a passionate man,' seeing that the failure of the accusation was inevitable, could not restrain himself, and exclaimed, 'Oh, illustrious Caesar! if it is sufficient to deny, what hereafter will become of the guilty?' to which Julian replied, 'If it suffices to accuse, what will become of the innocent?' Rerum Gestarum, lib. 18, c. 1. The rule thus found in the Roman law was, along with many other fundamental and human maxims of that system, preserved for mankind by the canon law. Decretum Gratiani de Presumptionibus, L. 2, T. 23, c. 14, A. D. 1198; Corpus Juris Canonici Hispani et Indici, R. P. Murillo Velarde, Tom. 1, L. 2, n. 140. Exactly when this presumption was, in precise words, stated to be a part of the common law, is involved in doubt. The writer of an able article in the North American Review (January, 1851), tracing the genesis of the principle, says that no express mention of the presumption of innocence can be found in the books of the common law earlier than the date of McNally's Evidence (1802). Whether this statement is correct is a matter of no moment, for there can be no doubt that, if the principle had not found formal expression in the common-law writers at an earlier date, yet the practice which flowed from it has existed in the common law from the earliest time.

"Fortescue says: 'Who, then, in England, can be put to death unjustly for any crime? since he is allowed so many pleas and privileges in favor of life. None but his neighbors, men of honest and good repute, against whom he can have no probable cause of exception, can find the person accused guilty. Indeed, one would much rather that twenty guilty persons should escape punishment of death than that one innocent person should be condemned and suffer capitally.' De Laudibus Legum Angliae (Amos' translation, Cambridge, 1825). [156 U.S. 432, 456] Lord Hale (1678) says: 'In some cases presumptive evidence goes far to prove a person guilty, though there be no express proof of the fact to be committed by him; but then it must be very warily pressed, for it is better five guilty persons should escape unpunished than one innocent person should die.' 2 Hale, P. C. 290. He further observes: 'And thus the reasons stand on both sides; and, though these seem to be stronger than the former, yet in a case of this moment it is safest to hold that in practice, which hath least doubt and danger,-'Quod dubitas, ne feceris." 1 Hale, P. C. 24.

"Blackstone (1753-1765) maintains that 'the law holds that it is better that ten guilty persons escape than that one innocent suffer.' 2 Bl. Comm. c. 27, marg. p. 358, ad finem.

"How fully the presumption of innocence had been evolved as a principle and applied at common law is shown in McKinley's Case (1817) 33 State Tr. 275, 506, where Lord Gillies says: 'It is impossible to look at it [a treasonable oath which it was alleged that McKinley had taken] without suspecting, and thinking it probable, it imports an obligation to commit a capital crime. That has been and is my impression. But the presumption in favor of innocence is not to be redargued by mere suspicion. I am sorry to see, in this information, that the public prosecutor treats this too lightly. He seems to think that the law entertains no such presumption of innocence. I cannot listen to this. I conceive that this presumption is to be found in every code of law which has reason and religion and humanity for a foundation. It is a maxim which ought to be inscribed in indelible characters in the heart of every judge and juryman, and I was happy to hear from Lord Hermand he is inclined to give full effect to it. To overturn this, there must be legal evidence of guilt, carrying home a decree of conviction short only of absolute certainty.' "
0 Replies

McGentrix

Reply Fri 28 Jan, 2005 08:38 am
Do you know the circumstances of Mr. Habib's arrest? I don't.

Al I can go by is "Oct 5 - Mr Habib is arrested by Pakistani police, suspected of training with al-Qaeda in Afghanistan. "

Why was he a suspect? What was he doing that would have led to his arrest? I assume he wasn't going door-to-door selling girl scout cookies.
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Fri 28 Jan, 2005 08:53 am
McGentrix

Events till now, allegations & the whole damn saga!:

msolga wrote:
Events following Habib's arrest
January 28, 2005 - 3:35PM/the AGE

Chronology of events since Mamdouh Habib's arrest in Pakistan in October, 2001:

2001 July - Mamdouh Habib visits Pakistan looking to resettle his family from Sydney.

Oct 5 - Mr Habib is arrested by Pakistani police, suspected of training with al-Qaeda in Afghanistan.

Oct-Nov - Mr Habib is interviewed by the Australian Security Intelligence Organisation (ASIO) and federal police.

Jan - Media reports Mr Habib is in custody in Egypt and has been tortured.

April 18 - The Australian government confirms he has been arrested and is in US custody in Afghanistan.

May 4 - Mr Habib is transferred to the US military base at Guantanamo Bay, Cuba. He is interviewed by Australian officials. Sends his first letters to his family claiming he is innocent and had been kidnapped.

Oct - An Australian lawyer working with detainees at Guantanamo Bay says Mr Habib and fellow Australian detainee David Hicks are being tortured.

July - Media reports that Mr Habib raised money for a blind cleric detained in the US on terrorism charges, and that he had been in touch with convicted terrorists in the 1990s.

Aug - Media reports that a NSW police report cleared Mr Habib of being a terrorist in 2001.

Oct - Habib's wife, Maha and son, Ahmed, attend federal parliament as guests of the Australian Greens during US President George W Bush's visit.

May - A former Guantanamo Bay prisoner, Briton Tarek Dergoul, claims Mr Habib was tortured in Egypt.

June - Attorney-General Philip Ruddock rules out trying Mr Habib and Mr Hicks in Australia. Mr Habib's lawyers launch a legal challenge to his detention after the US Supreme Court rules US courts can hear appeals from foreign detainees at Guantanamo Bay.

July - Further claims of Mr Habib's torture in Egypt are made by senior Qatari and Pakistani officials. Mr Habib named as one of nine inmates who will stand trial before a military commission.

Aug - Three Britons released from Guantanamo Bay say Mr Habib "was in a catastrophic state, mental and physical" and received no medical attention for recurrent bleeding suffered after being tortured in Egypt. A US investigation finds Mr Habib and Mr Hicks were not abused while detained by US captors.

Sept - Mr Habib faces a hearing before the US Combatant Status Review Tribunal.

Oct - US government alleges he had prior knowledge of the September 11 attacks, helped train the hijackers and had planned to hijack a plane himself.

Nov - Egypt seeks custody of five Guantanamo Bay detainees including a Ahmed Habib, believed to be Mamdouh Habib.

Dec - Lawyers say FBI emails and Red Cross report back up torture claims.

Jan 6 - US legal document says an Australian official watched as US agents tortured and photographed Mr Habib in Pakistan. Claim is denied by government.

Jan 11 - Announcement that Mr Habib is to be released without charge.

Jan 19 - Cost of return flight estimated at up to $500,000.

Jan 21 - Government says it won't follow US advice to shackle Mr Habib on return flight.

Jan 25 - Attorney-General seeks advice on seizing any profits made from Mr Habib selling his story.

Jan 27 - Lawyer Stephen Hopper alleges a prostitute was told to stand over Mr Habib and menstruate on him. Federal police chief Mick Keelty says Mr Habib won't be charged.

Jan 28 - Mr Habib leaves Cuba for Australia.

- AAP
0 Replies

McGentrix

Reply Fri 28 Jan, 2005 08:58 am
Yes, I saw that msolga, but where in that chronology does it tell why Mr. Habib was arrested? Where does it tell you what the results of "Mr Habib is interviewed by the Australian Security Intelligence Organisation (ASIO) and federal police. "?
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Fri 28 Jan, 2005 09:03 am
Quote:
Aug - Three Britons released from Guantanamo Bay say Mr Habib "was in a catastrophic state, mental and physical" and received no medical attention for recurrent bleeding suffered after being tortured in Egypt. A US investigation finds Mr Habib and Mr Hicks were not abused while detained by US captors.

So what was the deal with the prostitute at Guantanimo? Apparently, Mr. Habib was tortured in Egypt!
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Fri 28 Jan, 2005 09:08 am
It doesn't. And we don't know those details. All we know is what Oz & US governments have publicly said on the matter, McGentrix. Vague, isn't it?
I presume that had there was sufficient damaging evidence he would have been prosecuted. The US authorities certainly had enough time to do this - 3 years in detention. And without a doubt they would have had the full cooperation of the Australian government & ASIO.
0 Replies

McGentrix

Reply Fri 28 Jan, 2005 09:09 am
I'd like to know what kind of military base has hookers hanging around just so they can stand around menstruating on prisoners. Do you suppose they get healthcare for that sort of thing?
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Fri 28 Jan, 2005 09:13 am
Phoenix32890 wrote:
Quote:

So what was the deal with the prostitute at Guantanimo? Apparently, Mr. Habib was tortured in Egypt!

Jan 27 - Lawyer Stephen Hopper alleges a prostitute was told to stand over Mr Habib and menstruate on him.

It doesn't say WHERE it happened, PHOENIX

A US investigation finds Mr Habib and Mr Hicks were not abused while detained by US captors.

Well, they would, wouldn't they? :wink:
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Fri 28 Jan, 2005 09:18 am
McGentrix wrote:
I'd like to know what kind of military base has hookers hanging around just so they can stand around menstruating on prisoners ....

Wouldn't we all?
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Fri 28 Jan, 2005 10:29 am
msolga wrote:
McGentrix wrote:
I'd like to know what kind of military base has hookers hanging around just so they can stand around menstruating on prisoners ....

Wouldn't we all?

Very true.
0 Replies