The bandaid auto puzzle

Reply Thu 20 Feb, 2003 10:40 pm
Can you figure out how I fixed the air conditioning on my car with half a bandaid? I was on a 200 mile trip with my wife on a 90 degree day when the air conditioner stopped working about half way there.
I pulled into a rest stop, opened the hood, fooled around, pretended I knew what I was doing, and accidentally noticed something. We didn't have a bandaid, so I went from car to car and got one. I fixed the A/C and made it work. That was over a year ago and it's still OK.
Clue: The car is an 1989 Caravan with over 200K on it.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 1,768 • Replies: 4
No top replies

Equus

Reply Fri 28 Feb, 2003 01:25 pm
How? This would be a great one for Car Talk on NPR radio.
0 Replies

BillyFalcon

Reply Sat 1 Mar, 2003 01:21 pm
Equus
You seem to be the audience.
The fact that the van is 14 yrs. old with 230,000 miles on it, is a clue to brittle hoses. this inclludes the very small vacuum hoses which come out of the firewall from the various dashboard controls. The air condioner is controlled by such tiny vacuum hoses. In looking, I gently moved those small hoses and noticed one with a crack or split in it. I held my finger on it and my wife was able to turn on the A/C.

I thought "a little piece of tape" just a tiny bit of tape. What has a tiny bit of tape? Voila! A bandaid! I rubbed the hose clean, put a bandaid (not the cloth part) around it and it's been OK ever since.

I sent the story/puzzle to Cartalk, but they didn't pick it up.

Thanks for your interest.
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Sat 1 Mar, 2003 03:12 pm
Billy Falcon- Nope, I was listening too, but I couldn't figure it out. Very clever!

Years ago, there was a hole in a large sewer pipe in my basement, probably due to putting chemicals in the pipes, because of clogs. My husband put electrical tape around the pipe, and covered the whole shootin' match with Shoe Goop, which is something that everyone should have in his home. When we moved, it was still holding. after at least 15 years!
0 Replies

BillyFalcon

Reply Sun 2 Mar, 2003 10:38 am
Phoenix, Thanks for the reply. Well, I just have to tell another, I split a water hose on my car in Gautemala. I was prepared. I had a replacement hose, but didn't want to change it on the road, My preparedness included both friction tape (for strength) and electrical tape( for water proofing). It got us through the day and that evening i replaced the hose.

I really don't know if they still sell friction tape. No I did not have duct tape.
0 Replies