Help me convince my father to replace kitchen carpeting!

Reply Wed 26 Jan, 2005 09:14 pm
My parents live in an old (almost 100 years old) house that has been a work in progress since they bought it 20 years ago. The one room that has remained almost unchanged, and in my opinion, needs the most change, is their kitchen.

My dad installed a kind of carpeting (similar to what you see in office buildings I guess) many years ago, as a quick fix, with the promise to my mom that it would soon be replaced.

Rolling Eyes Now no matter how many times we bring it up, my father insists that there is nothing that can be done to the flooring except replace it with new carpet. He says the house has settled on that end and that he would have to get under the house with jacks and level it. (I'm sure I'm oversimplifying it but I'm not a big DIYer).

Does anyone have any insight or suggestions as to possible solutions for the interim. I suggested peel and stick tile but he says he thinks that it will make the fact that the floor is slightly unlevel more obvious. Says the carpet keeps it from being obvious. My dad has done wonderful things in all other rooms of the house so I don't know why I'm doubting him on this one. I guess I'm trying to champion my mom's cause for flooring in the kitchen that doesn't require a vacuum! Ha!

Any info you could offer would be appreciated!
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 891 • Replies: 7
No top replies

littlek

Reply Wed 26 Jan, 2005 09:36 pm
Threaten the hightened likelihood of fleas....?
0 Replies

roger

Reply Wed 26 Jan, 2005 11:59 pm
I can't imagine a carpeted kitchen. Not the way I cook, anyway. If there is an irregularity in the kitchen floor, he's probably right about the tile. Does plain old linoleum sound just too prosaic?
0 Replies

Montana

Reply Thu 27 Jan, 2005 01:09 am
I would think he could level the floor with sub-flooring. We bought our house almost 5 years ago with carpet in the kitchen as well and we have the same problem, but we are determined to have the problem fixed within the next few years with the plan on installing hard wood floors. I know someone else will come along to give some awesome advice on the issue, but I do know that the floor can be leveled from inside the house.
0 Replies

Montana

Reply Thu 27 Jan, 2005 01:18 am
I just did a search and found this

http://askgundaker.katabat.com/content/Event.asp?ASK=3.188

One way of doing it is your fathers way, but my way will be a bit on the expensive side, although worth it, in my opinion. He's best to hire someone to do this, but it can be done.
0 Replies

Montana

Reply Thu 27 Jan, 2005 01:21 am
Something else I found that caught my eye.

http://www.franklinfloors.com/self.htm
0 Replies

ChristyS

Reply Sun 13 Feb, 2005 07:55 pm
Thanks Montana, for your helpful information! I'm sorry it's taken so long for me to post a reply to you... we're preparing for an overseas move so it's been a little chaotic here!

You won't believe what my dad finally decided to do... he ordered new carpet! Isn't that hilarious? My poor mother! Thank you again for trying to help!
0 Replies

Montana

Reply Sun 13 Feb, 2005 09:40 pm
Christys
LOL! No problem. Hey, it could be worse ;-)

Good luck on your move and don't be a stranger. A2K is a pretty cool place to hang out :-D
0 Replies