What type of Music you listen to while painting, ...

Reply Wed 26 Jan, 2005 05:15 pm
What type of music, if any, you to while you are painting, sculpting, or doing anything that requires inspiration?

I, for one, listen to any music that will make my imagination fly Twisted Evil , specially dance music - as long as I can sing alone - old Jazz, music from when I was in college and few others.

What about you?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 1,362 • Replies: 11
No top replies

Portal Star

Reply Wed 26 Jan, 2005 06:19 pm
I try to match the mood I"m trying to emulate in the painting, and I listen to cd's with that mood from start to finish. It helps keep coherent feeling.

I have done a lot to Nine Inch Nails' "Fragile" cd's. Also, Amelie' sountrack, and the essential royal tennenbaums and rushmore sountracks.
0 Replies

shewolfnm

Reply Wed 26 Jan, 2005 06:42 pm
http://images.amazon.com/images/P/B00000I608.01._SCMZZZZZZZ_.jpg

This CD is my ' creative' music.
It is wonderful.
0 Replies

Jack Webbs

Reply Thu 27 Jan, 2005 12:13 am
I have recently repainted the interior of my home. Rather than hanging the old prints I had before I would like to hang some oil paintings.

This is something I have been putting off. I certainly cannot afford to buy from an art gallery. I am hoping to find paintings that are appropriate for my modest living room but not expensive. I visualize locating them under the dust in some junk shop but so far I have not been very lucky.

I am now considering a local community college as a source. Perhaps oils painted by students. I actually place more value in the personal creativity than the quality of the painting providing the work is not too awful.Smile Is this a good source do you believe or am I being to presumptuous?

the other day a friend gave me a painting of a French village that did not pass his wife's "cut" for redecorating their home. I was a bit reluctant to accept it at first but now that it has been hanging in the hallway it is growing on me! The more I see it the more I enjoy it. Quite unlike the prints I have had before that I soon got bored with and ignored until it was time to paint and I had to remove them.Smile
0 Replies

JLNobody

Reply Thu 27 Jan, 2005 10:12 am
Jack, look up Lightwizard and Ossobuco here on Able2KNow. They have lots of experience in this matter. I would suggest you look around in your town (with help of newspapers) to buy direct from local artists.
0 Replies

JLNobody

Reply Thu 27 Jan, 2005 10:24 am
Great. Rayvatrap's back. Havn't seen you in the art threads since last October.
When I'm painting with inspiration/enthusiasm there's no need for music. I usually have some classical music sounding on my CD player or NPR radio station, but I will not hear it if I've got a rush going. I used to think of using music to establish "mood", but--I don't know why--I don't do that anymore. I think that we generally perform best when doing "one-thing-at-a-time." This is what I think, not what I always do.
0 Replies

Rayvatrap

Reply Thu 27 Jan, 2005 11:02 am
Hey JLnobody, thank you for your PM, I try to reply but I'm restricted for lack of activity. I have being really busy trying to get some work done for the shows I'm taking part of this year, plus my computer exploded and I was without a pc for a while.

But I'm happy to be back Razz Thanks again! :wink:

I use music - not that hear what's playing at the time but from time to time I come out of my own world and like to hear something other than silence, also, I tend to paint at the rhythm of the music even though I don't hear it - just for the rush Twisted Evil .

Jack - like JL said, you might want to check around your area for local artists or collective shows - large collective shows - I don't know where you are located but if you are ever in NYC for the spring or summer, there are a few large collective shows from BWAC.org - check it out, you might see my work as well.
0 Replies

Jack Webbs

Reply Thu 27 Jan, 2005 11:32 am
Thanks JL Nobody and Rayvatrap.
0 Replies

Portal Star

Reply Thu 27 Jan, 2005 12:46 pm
what kind of a price range are you looking for?

what area are you in?

community college student work is okay, college is usually better. You can usually buy people's stuff while they're in (undergraduate) college for under $500.
0 Replies

eoe

Reply Thu 27 Jan, 2005 01:01 pm
I listen to whatever I'm feeling that day. Some days are made for Sinatra. Other days go better with Prince.

Ever think about prison art? Paintings done by prisoners. They're usually not too expensive and sometimes, pretty good. Of course, the idea of buying a painting done by a murderer is not very appealing for most but I doubt you'll ever know who the artist is or what crime was committed.

And then, some people would get a kick out of that.
0 Replies

Rayvatrap

Reply Thu 27 Jan, 2005 01:14 pm
eoe - That's an idea, where can you take a look at their work, now you have awaken my curiosity! Razz

I hear you, I like Sade, Cesaria Evora (I think that's how you spell it), Andrea Bocelli, Air Supply.... I can just keep going on!
0 Replies

Rayvatrap

Reply Thu 27 Jan, 2005 01:40 pm
Jack - I did a search and got this - hope it works for you
http://www.prisonart.org/
0 Replies