To drink milk or not to drink milk...?

farmerman

Tue 30 Jan, 2018 09:09 pm
@Lash,
I dont believe the claims by either the 1 or A2 people. A lot of the A2 stuff is marketing.

Remember, a guernsey cow is a producer pf A2 (proline) in its beta Carotene(Thats why they call it "golden Guernsey milk")

Theve been testing the crap out of A1 v A2 in Europe (Us has remained silent till the A2 corporation starts asking for research here).

The claims of itchyness and disease resistance can get a little confusing when red in the journals. Its gotten so that any regional school with a dairy program (Penn State v Cornell) often have different conclusions about several o the components of milk.
The best marketing is still "try to ditinguish yourself" maybe people will flock to your product.

The guernsey cow dairy industry always had commanded a premium based on Beta Carotene content and butterfat. Now theyve added the A2 stuff but the market for milk is just "tanking" all over the US.

0 Replies

Lash

Tue 30 Jan, 2018 09:33 pm
I don’t try to convince other people, but just like anybody who’s been really ill and then find health and really want to help other people, I’ll say there’s a lot of poison in our food - in our cows, chickens, fruit, and vegs.

Believe it, don’t believe it, but you might want to read more about it.

https://www.authoritydiet.com/a1-vs-a2-cows-milk-what-difference-benefits-nutrition/

farmerman

Tue 30 Jan, 2018 11:27 pm
@Lash,
neither do I. Im just a bit more skeptical about all these "food studies". I always like to see who or what sponsors em, or who's bhind "DOT COM websites.."Follow the money" especially when somebody preaches health and beauty , is still a good way to start our studies.

glitterbag

Tue 30 Jan, 2018 11:55 pm
@farmerman,
I am seldom hungry in the morning so I have started up again drinking a cup of coffee usually followed by a small glass of orange juice. If I still don't want any food I wait a few more hours and either have a little yogurt or a glass of milk. My husband only uses skim milk so I doctor it up with either a little half and half or cream. I get really shaky, clammy and will get a stabbing pain in my stomach if i go too long without eating something. The small glass of doctored milk holds me over until I can prepare a proper meal.

And no, I don't have diabetes or hypoglycemia.....and I'm under a doctors care......but I have to say, I wonder sometimes if any of my doctors actually attended classes during medical school, or maybe they just didn't study.
0 Replies

Lash

Wed 31 Jan, 2018 05:24 am
@farmerman,
I laughed. You’re definitely not more skeptical about food than I am.

My search for what’s unhealthy in my food wasn’t done online, but in doctor’s offices through diagnoses, and trial and error eating and drinking to see what makes me sick and what relieves debilitating suffering.

When I found what improved my health and reduced pain, I began to share it.

I found narratives online just to share what improved my health and the quality of my life.

I’d never seen the health.com site until yesterday when I googled A1 A2 for a copy and paste explanation.

A1milk causes me severe abdominal pain and bloating and additional debilitating conditions. A2 doesn’t. Cheese from cows does; goat cheese doesn’t. For women of a certain age, the ability to get calcium is pretty important.

I wanted other women who have adverse reactions to milk to know there is a possible solution.

If I can’t get A2, I have to go without.

These are facts.

If you don’t believe the reasoning behind why A2 is ok for a lot of people and A1 is not, of course, that’s your prerogative, but I interact with a multitude of people who have identical sensitivities and cannot drink A1 milk.

I guess that’s fuller disclosure of my experience. No argument intended.
izzythepush

Wed 31 Jan, 2018 05:35 am
@Lash,
No idea what you mean; over here A1 is one of the main roads between London and the North, and the A2 connects London to Dover.

Broadly speaking we haver three types of milk, full fat, semi skimmed and skimmed. There's also UHT, but there's no demand for that.

hightor

Wed 31 Jan, 2018 05:47 am
I don't see much need for consuming human milk past early childhood and the lifelong consumption of milk products from other species seems not only unnecessary but rather weird as well. I think the dairy industry is only a step up from the sugar industry when it comes to questionable marketing practices.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Wed 31 Jan, 2018 05:49 am
Looks like everybody selects or deselects based on individual personal body needs, as it should be.
0 Replies

Lash

Wed 31 Jan, 2018 05:56 am
@izzythepush,
One perspective.

https://www.google.com/amp/www.independent.co.uk/life-style/food-and-drink/features/cows-milk-for-the-lactose-intolerant-the-turning-pint-9704759.html%3famp

There's a milk war going on Down Under and there are signs that our own milk industry may be entering similar combat. If the battle reaches anything like the same scale as Australia's, millions of people who believe that they are lactose intolerant could find themselves able to return to commercial milk, thanks to a so-called "A2 version" now on sale. With a staggering one in five Brits now avoiding cows' milk, believing that they are intolerant to it, that's a lot of folk.

"Originally, all cows produced milk containing only the A2 beta-type protein," explains Professor Sebely Pal, the leading researcher in nutrition at Curtin University in Perth, who led a new study that was funded by the milk producer a2 Milk. "But owing to a genetic mutation in European herds, another milk protein emerged – A1 – and spread throughout many countries. Today, milk with the A1 protein makes up the majority of milk in our fridges."

It is this A1 milk, according to her study – the world's first on humans – that can cause people discomfort, while milk that contains the A2 protein and no A1 protein is much easier on the digestive system.
izzythepush

Wed 31 Jan, 2018 06:00 am
@Lash,
It's not something I was aware of. I don't have any problems drinking milk. I don't drink milk on its own because I don't like it, but I have it in tea, coffee and cereal, use it for cooking and baking. Never a day goes by without me having some form of cheese though, because I love it.
Lash

Wed 31 Jan, 2018 06:13 am
@izzythepush,
You’re lucky!

Common opinions are that nobody needs cow’s milk except baby cows, but some people are addicted to it or need a non-pill calcium resource.

I like having the option I occasionally.
Lash

Wed 31 Jan, 2018 06:16 am
Dys and peeps talk about raw milk.

https://able2know.org/topic/123731-1#post-3431228
0 Replies

izzythepush

Wed 31 Jan, 2018 10:44 am
@Lash,
Lactose intolerance doesn't seem to be such an issue over here, my gut instinct is that it's got something to do with the 200+ additives banned in Europe but deemed safe for Americans to eat.
Lash

Wed 31 Jan, 2018 11:41 am
@izzythepush,
I know you are correct. It’s worth moving to another country to get affordable, healthy food. People like me with a multitude of food sensitivities have to spend $3.50 for six eggs laid by chickens who haven’t been fed GMO food or injected with hormones. Of the eight types of fresh fish offered, only two were not farm raised (fed GMO grains or pig ****)... The cost is astronomical for me.

If I thought my kids would move, I’d be packing.
izzythepush

Wed 31 Jan, 2018 11:50 am
@Lash,
That's a lot of money, free range eggs are cheaper than that over here. They're about 89p for six, that works out at US$1.26.

Food additives are one of the reasons I'm concerned about Brexit.
0 Replies

jerlands

Wed 31 Jan, 2018 01:00 pm
@tsarstepan,
This is actually a complicated question. Raw milk is the most wholesome. A2 milk (guernsey, goat, buffalo, camel, human) is most easily broken down. Milk however is one of those foods that are highly reactive in the body largely because of the ill health of most americans. Pasteurization will not only destroy all the beneficial bacteria and enzymes but also change protein structures so the body doesn't recognize them and essentially drinking it can activate the immune system.
0 Replies

jerlands

Wed 31 Jan, 2018 01:04 pm
It's like eating anything... you only want to consume wholesome products (which is a bit difficult in america.)
0 Replies

jerlands

Wed 31 Jan, 2018 01:07 pm
@Lash,
Lash wrote:

You’re lucky!

Common opinions are that nobody needs cow’s milk except baby cows, but some people are addicted to it or need a non-pill calcium resource.

I like having the option I occasionally.

Kefir is an easy to produce probiotic food that has great health benefits.
0 Replies

farmerman

Wed 31 Jan, 2018 01:44 pm
@Lash,
Quote:
My search for what’s unhealthy in my food wasn’t done online, but in doctor’s offices through diagnoses
. Ive found that two thing phyicians know **** about
1. pharmacology

2nutrition.

Still, you sound sincere in your choices but you must be aware that youre talking about 1 amino acid component that has severl functions.

Youre right, most all bovids are A2 initially. A1 components of Beta Carotene arent exclusive, they form a spectrum of percentages of A1 to A2.
SO, if you spend too much (or think you do), move to farm country and buy raw milk from Guernsey herd dairies.

As far as eggs, you live in NYC?? When we still bought eggs they were never more than 2$ a dozen for walkabout- garden scratch fed chickens supplemented with field corn and marigold pods (like goldfinches, they love it)

0 Replies

TomTomBinks

Wed 31 Jan, 2018 02:07 pm
@tsarstepan,
I go through stages of drinking none at all for months to then drinking one or more large glasses a day for a week or so. Don't know what that's about... but I do love the taste of milk. We have two small children so there's always milk in the house. It's 2%, but that's out of habit. We should probably switch over to whole milk.