To drink milk or not to drink milk...?

farmerman

Wed 31 Jan, 2018 02:12 pm
@TomTomBinks,
I like the tqste of milk with malt syrup or malt and chocolate. The only way I use milk by itself is with oatmeal or an apple dumpling
0 Replies

jerlands

Wed 31 Jan, 2018 02:17 pm
@Lash,
Lash wrote:

Taken from the research of my guru, Dr. Steven Gundry.

Gundry is a great health guru. I think he claims to eat something like 9 eggs a day (free range, farm sourced of course.) And so you probably know the only way to be adequately tested for nutritional deficiencies is through an integrative (or functional) medical practitioner.
centrox

Wed 31 Jan, 2018 03:28 pm
@jerlands,
jerlands wrote:
I think he claims to eat something like 9 eggs a day

So he's full of it literally as well?
jerlands

Wed 31 Jan, 2018 03:44 pm
@centrox,
centrox wrote:

jerlands wrote:
I think he claims to eat something like 9 eggs a day

So he's full of it literally as well?

You'd have to understand "one's man feast is another man's famine." Diet is really and truly individual specific but there are many generalities that are pertinent (I think Gundry recommends up to 4 eggs per day.)
0 Replies

coluber2001

Wed 31 Jan, 2018 04:10 pm
I don't drink milk because I get kidney stones if I do. Rice Dream, a brand of rice milk is excellent if you add a little sweetener to it.
jerlands

Wed 31 Jan, 2018 05:09 pm
@coluber2001,
coluber2001 wrote:

I don't drink milk because I get kidney stones if I do. Rice Dream, a brand of rice milk is excellent if you add a little sweetener to it.

Umm, milk actually isn't the culprit but among them are low magnesium and high amounts of red meat.
coluber2001

Wed 31 Jan, 2018 05:18 pm
@jerlands,
Maybe, I don't know. I know if I drink a quart of milk today tomorrow I will get a kidney stone. I know this from experience. However, I do eat small amounts of sour cream, yogurt, and parmesan cheese with no difficulties.
Below viewing threshold (view)
jcboy

Wed 31 Jan, 2018 06:00 pm
Drink milk? yep, we drink the 2%, the kids drink whole milk and we usually have a half a gallon of chocolate milk.
0 Replies

farmerman

Wed 31 Jan, 2018 06:00 pm
@coluber2001,
dietary sources of oxalates should be avoided by those with genetics that favor kidney stones. Rhubarb, Kale, Beets, peanuts, wheat germ, (Thats all I know, look up dietary oxalic acid sources, I dont think milk or meats are on that list)
coluber2001

Wed 31 Jan, 2018 06:23 pm
@farmerman,
It's nice having a list of foods to avoid for those prone to kidney stone attacks. I already know what foods to avoid and that's milk. I haven't had an attack in 10 years, but I know if I drink a quart of milk today I will have an attack tomorrow. It took a lot of pain and suffering to come to that conclusion. Back when I couldn't afford to even have a test run, I had to find it all out for myself.

A kidney stone attack is no laughing matter. Imagine someone punching you in the kidney every 2 seconds for 2 hours. That's what a kidney stone is like.
jerlands

Wed 31 Jan, 2018 06:51 pm
@coluber2001,
coluber2001 wrote:

It's nice having a list of foods to avoid for those prone to kidney stone attacks.

It's not so much the food as it is the metabolic syndrome resulting from improper diet. in other words.. it's not so much avoiding oxalates as it is ensuring their expulsion is working properly. If you have ever formed a kidney stone and from that time have not made significant dietary changes the true cause of the condition still exists in your body.
coluber2001

Wed 31 Jan, 2018 07:17 pm
@jerlands,
Somehow what I'm saying is not getting across. I have made dietary changes and I have eliminated kidney stones.
jerlands

Wed 31 Jan, 2018 07:28 pm
@coluber2001,
coluber2001 wrote:

Somehow what I'm saying is not getting across. I have made dietary changes and I have eliminated kidney stones.

I got that... I was merely stressing the importance of testing for nutritional deficiencies and trying to dispel the belief of food avoidance as the cure. Oxalic acid may be an anti-nutrient but the foods that are rich in it are important sources for nutrition.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Wed 31 Jan, 2018 09:03 pm
@coluber2001,
coluber2001 wrote:

You were eating kidney stones?
coluber2001

Wed 31 Jan, 2018 11:04 pm
@edgarblythe,
I eliminated the kidney stones by changing my diet.
edgarblythe

Thu 1 Feb, 2018 06:28 am
@coluber2001,
My mother in law had stone material that filled the entire kidney. She eventually had to lose the kidney. I'm not sure what she ate on a regular basis. I too believe that diet is mostly the key to such issues.
0 Replies

Turbine

Fri 2 Feb, 2018 12:21 pm
I drink milk pretty regularly. If it's supposed to bad for us now, I'll need some evidence.

I'm on the 2% train myself.
jerlands

Fri 2 Feb, 2018 02:18 pm
@Turbine,
Turbine wrote:

I drink milk pretty regularly. If it's supposed to bad for us now, I'll need some evidence.

I'm on the 2% train myself.

Well, if you're waiting on scientific studies you might as well take a seat. You'll find many institutions are funded by industry that don't have interest in whether or not food can help or harm the body.
Lash

Fri 2 Feb, 2018 05:20 pm
@jerlands,
This is completely true. Money trumps everything. From the ADA to the scientists who sign off on dietary guidelines.
0 Replies