Nissan Path Finder, or Toyota 4 runner?....

Reply Tue 25 Jan, 2005 07:14 pm
Does anyone have any experience with either of these vehicles? I am possibly looking to buy a used one, so any advise would be great....Thanks!
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 2,588 • Replies: 14
No top replies

shewolfnm

Reply Tue 25 Jan, 2005 07:55 pm
go to www.edmunds.com
they give alot of comparison ratings, reliability ratings, great help with vehicle pricing..etc.
it takes some digging around in the site but you will find some really valuable information.
0 Replies

roger

Reply Tue 25 Jan, 2005 07:58 pm
For what it's worth, I know a lady who had a pathfinder for years, and loved it. Finally traded into an Echo. No clue on the 4 runner.
0 Replies

Slappy Doo Hoo

Reply Tue 25 Jan, 2005 09:09 pm
What year(s) are you looking at?

Traditionally, the Pathfinder is going to be cheaper, and it's still an excellent truck. But obviously so is the Toyota.

They're both built on truck platforms, not car platforms like the Highlander, so they're not as car-like. The Toyota's build quality is slightly higher, but not by a huge margain.

Depending on the year/engine....the pre-V8 (6-cyl) 4Runners are slow, along with the 3.3L Pathfinders. I mean dogs. The 3.5L Pathfinder got a pretty huge jump in horsepower, something like 150/160 to 240hp. I think the first year of the 3.5 is 2001. So if you're looking in that year range, it's WELL worth getting that engine in the Nissan. Or if you're looking even newer, the V8 option in the 4Runner would make a world of difference. (don't even bring up gas mileage, they all suck).

Best way to go about, is drive both, figure which you have a preference for, drive and feel-wise, and go from there. Again, you'll spend more $$ on a comparable Toyota, so you got to figure out if it's worth it if you like it better. I'd personally lean towards a Nissan, just because I always thought the 4Runners held their value a little TOO much.
0 Replies

InTraNsiTiOn

Reply Tue 25 Jan, 2005 09:19 pm
The nissan i'm looking at is older, it's a 95. It has no rust, and it's an automatic. I havn't found out have many miles it has on it yet, as I was supposed to be at work when I was inquiring on it. ( I forgot to ask) It looks to be in great shape, and I really want it. I hope to take it for a test drive this week!
0 Replies

Slappy Doo Hoo

Reply Tue 25 Jan, 2005 09:22 pm
That's a good year too.

I would suggest, of course, having a mechanic do a pre-inspection if you're serious about buying it. You want to at least find out what repairs it needs/going to need soon. And check the title history.
0 Replies

InTraNsiTiOn

Reply Tue 25 Jan, 2005 09:31 pm
Well, its a good thing I work at a car dealership! I know all the mechanics, so I could probably get one of them to swing by and check it out for me!!
0 Replies

Slappy Doo Hoo

Reply Tue 25 Jan, 2005 09:34 pm
Well then there you go, you're all set.

You can even get the used car manager to help you determine what a good price is for the truck once you see it and get the mileage.
0 Replies

InTraNsiTiOn

Reply Tue 25 Jan, 2005 09:38 pm
Ahh, used car manager is prolly just a s crooked as the next car salesmen(no offense...lol) The place I work is trying to sell me a vehicle, but I ain't buying. Sales men can try to be so manipulative...Oh well, i'm strong...hehe
0 Replies

Slappy Doo Hoo

Reply Tue 25 Jan, 2005 09:45 pm
That sucks if the dealer you work at is like that. I'm not offended...there are some very good legit dealers, and unfortunately shady ones too.

Well, when you find the mileage and options, fill me in. I MAY be able to pull an auction report on is for you, and give you an idea what it's really worth. I just have to dig up an old password. And I won't even try to sell you anything!

Edmunds, Kelly, those guides online aren't always an accurate representation of what "real world" value is.
0 Replies

apoeticinjustice

Reply Tue 25 Jan, 2005 11:33 pm
I owned a 95 Pathfinder until just recently. I loved it. It was a very dependable vehicle, but like most SUV's it was hard on fuel. Also, like most SUV's they tend to roll over due to short wheel base and top heavy. I can speak to this last statement, as it is the reason I no longer have my Pathfinder. I hit black ice and went off the road in an October snowstorm. 5 vehicles hit the ditch within 1/2 mile, 3 cars and 2 SUV's. All 3 cars were able to be pulled out and drive away. Both SUV's rolled. It was a fun vehicle to drive, very comfortable, had a good engine with lots of power. Just don't roll it lol.
0 Replies

InTraNsiTiOn

Reply Wed 26 Jan, 2005 05:18 pm
The nissan has 185,000 kilometers on it. Also has a/t/c. I'm taking it for a test drive on friday when my dad comes down. He doesn't seem to mind the idea so far! Keeping my fingers crossed!!
0 Replies

Slappy Doo Hoo

Reply Wed 26 Jan, 2005 06:48 pm
Oh wait..you're not in the US. Disregard the pricing thing, it's a totally different market. Sorry.
0 Replies

InTraNsiTiOn

Reply Wed 26 Jan, 2005 06:48 pm
Yepper!!
0 Replies

InTraNsiTiOn

Reply Thu 27 Jan, 2005 08:27 pm
Well, nevermind. My dad won't co sign for the nissan(my mom got to him). Now the only way he's going to help me is if I buy something from the dealership where I work, which is pretty much a joke, so needless to say I wish they would have never "tried" to help me out. Seems I am no better with them or with out them. It's really too bad it's so hard to establich a credit rating these days. Ohwell, life goes on....Thanks for all the help, who knows maybe it'll be good for future reference!!
0 Replies