Reply Tue 25 Jan, 2005 03:42 pm
I made some low-fat, peanut-butter, honey muffins and the interior of the muffins is great - moist, with a little crumb action - the problem is the exterior- on the outside the muffins are tough and dark. Some even looked a little burnt. I'm just using a non-stick spray on a large size muffin tin. Anyone know what causes this exterior toughness or how to prevent it?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 2 • Views: 3,452 • Replies: 7
No top replies

cavfancier

Reply Tue 25 Jan, 2005 03:54 pm
I would suggest just baking them at a slightly lower temperature. It's possible you have a hot oven.
Green Witch

Reply Wed 26 Jan, 2005 08:32 am
Thanks Cav, I was thinking of going from 400 to 375. I know with honey in a recipe there needs to be a good amount of heat to rise, but it also can burn. I assume a small heat reduction along with double acting baking powder should make it OK. This is a recipe I'm working on in a baking class (develope a low-fat, non-dairy breakfast muffin), so I'm still experimenting with the list of ingredients they gave us.
0 Replies

Ay Sontespli

Reply Thu 27 Jan, 2005 01:47 am
Low Fat + Peanut Butter?
Hi,
Just curious how low fat and peanut butter go together? I am a vegetarian and used to consume peanut butter quite freely for years ( back when I was a teen and could afford to!) Now I limit peanut butter to special occasions only.
I bake no fat, no egg muffins using applesauce in place of fat and an egg replacement product (arrowroot flour).
For cookie baking I have used stewed dates in place of fat, egg replacer and carob chips.
0 Replies

Green Witch

Reply Thu 27 Jan, 2005 09:01 am
They actually make low fat and reduced fat peanut butter now, don't know how they do it. Smuckers brand makes a good one.
The recipe makes 6 large muffins and only has a 1/2 cup of the peanut butter, so each muffin is not getting very much. Personally, I wouldn't even consider full nut fats as bad fats.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Thu 27 Jan, 2005 09:05 am
(Totally off subject, but for the last few days the phrase "tough muffins!" has lodged itself in my noggin. As in, "but mom, I want to go play in the snow wearing only my bathing suit!"/ "No."/ "Please? All the other kids do!"/ "Tough muffins!")
0 Replies

JPB

Reply Thu 27 Jan, 2005 11:01 am
Laughing Sozobe!

The only problem with low-fat peanut butter is that they oftentimes replace the fat with sugar and the glycemic index of the pb goes way up. If you get natural pb and put it in the fridge you can scrape off the fat because it's on the top but it's not necessary because it's a monosaturated fat to begin with.
0 Replies

muffinlover

Reply Tue 27 Mar, 2012 03:55 pm
@cavfancier,
You could use tinfoil. Put it over the muffin tops as soon as you see they are getting too dark. That will prevent them for getting burnt
0 Replies