can ex sign his rights away if i'm not married?

boomerang

Reply Thu 10 Feb, 2005 09:23 am
This is my personal observation, not a legal one, but it is based on my experience and observation so I hope it is not out of line.

If your current boyfriend wants to adopt your child he should take the first step by marrying you. Establishing that groundwork while you have time and you don't have to look over your shoulder is a good idea.

Secondly, women I have known who have had imprisioned lovers have often found that the man learns that he can make them "pay" from afar by refusing to cooperate with anything the woman wants re: divorce, custody -- anything and everything. The men seem to feel that they have already had everything taken away from them and they often aren't willing to voluntarily relinquish anything else.

Custody, termination of rights, adoption and the like are a waiting game. Time and more time work in your favor. Getting the groundwork laid, getting things into the court record and being terribly more patient than you ever dreamed will work in your favor.
0 Replies

melissadarby

Reply Thu 10 Feb, 2005 12:09 pm
no, you not out of line at all! i love hearing the responses good or bad! i agree that my ex may not agree to terminate his rights... it's actually the response i expect. I am hoping by him knowing he won't have to pay child support will help his decision but you never know!
I didn't want to rush the marraige, i the guy i am with now would get married at any time....i guess it's sorta up to me and just given things i have been through in the past it's just some i don't want to rush unless i had too. According to my lawyer at this point it's not something to rush. I guess we'll just have to wait for my ex's response to the letter.........
0 Replies