Global Warming...New Report...and it ain't happy news

Walter Hinteler

Reply Wed 24 Aug, 2022 12:20 pm
@Mame,
That is not the reason at all, because before this plant was put into operation on Heligoland, people were dependent on ships transpoting the drinking water there.
(My original command as a reserve officer was on a navy freshwater tanker, on which the civilian crew was to be replaced by the military in the event of defence. [But I had that changed as soon as possible.)
0 Replies

MontereyJack

Reply Wed 24 Aug, 2022 12:23 pm
@hightor,
Anybody who rhinks the earth is flat and antarctica does not exist but is an unbroken wall o c ice around the flat southern surface as bulma does, is not someone whose grip on reality i would rely on.
hightor

Reply Wed 24 Aug, 2022 12:25 pm
@MontereyJack,
What if they don't believe that dinosaurs ever existed?
MontereyJack

Reply Wed 24 Aug, 2022 12:28 pm
@hightor,
Yeah. That too.
0 Replies

roger

Reply Wed 24 Aug, 2022 01:17 pm
@hightor,
Well, I ain't never seen one. Explain that!
izzythepush

Reply Wed 24 Aug, 2022 01:24 pm
@roger,
Your memory's not what it was.

roger

Reply Wed 24 Aug, 2022 01:54 pm
@izzythepush,
I've seen a few lizards in my time.
0 Replies

bulmabriefs144

Reply Thu 25 Aug, 2022 12:34 pm
@hightor,
The point being though, that all of this is so much propaganda.

There isn't a "water table". These same environmentalists talked to Virginians about this stuff, but five or ten years later (I think I heard this crap in college, actually, so maybe even 15+), we still have green grass. Meanwhile, Utah, Arizona, Nevada, and California are all screwed up. So is the Sahara area.

If water is well managed, it doesn't do this:
https://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2015/09/17/14/2C6ABDD900000578-3238480-Scorched_An_area_that_would_be_under_water_if_the_lake_was_full_-a-26_1442496437934.jpg
hightor

Reply Thu 25 Aug, 2022 02:04 pm
@bulmabriefs144,

Quote:
we still have green grass.

Of course there's green grass in Virginia. It gets 40-50 inches of rain a year. It has nothing to do with the water table. I'm not surprised that you consider hydrology to be "crap", along with paleontology and geography.

Quote:
If water is well managed, it doesn't do this

You mean closing the taps on all water customers who rely on melting snow to feed the rivers and fill the reservoirs in the Western USA? What's the right way to manage water during a thousand year drought?
bulmabriefs144

Reply Thu 25 Aug, 2022 02:31 pm
@hightor,
I don't consider it to be crap. There is a valid purpose for hydrology. That's not shaming people into letting you steal their water.

I consider climate alarmism to be as valid as the book of Revelation. Which is to say, if we accept or reject one, we must accept/reject the other. And so, I removed that book from my Bible. It's nonsense, and so is this.

Arizona and Nevada haven't been in thousand year drought.

Death Valley might qualify, but this doesn't literally mean 1000 years
https://www.nps.gov/deva/learn/news/death-valley-experiences-1-000-year-rain-event.htm
“A 1000-year event doesn't mean it happens once per 1000 years, rather that there is a 0.1% chance of occurring in any given year."

Actual places in Chile might have been deserts for thousands of years.

The solution is not to steal water but use what you have nearby. Or don't live there.

0 Replies

bulmabriefs144

Reply Thu 25 Aug, 2022 08:08 pm
@hightor,
And I don't consider geography or paleontology to be complete crap. The whole throwing out the baby with the bathwater.

For the average trip around the country, a road atlas is perfectly fine. But I'm not convinced that a globe is more accurate than a road map. In fact, I think it's far more distorted.

Likewise, I am currently watching a paleontology study that cats were way older than the Egyptian theory. And how a pope killing off cats (witchcraft stuff) contributed to Black Plague. Paleontology, and its cousin archaeology, are fine.

But paleontology runs afoul when they try to place dinosaurs (which are in reptile/amphibian groups) with birds. Uhhhhh no?
https://reptilesbjat.weebly.com/uploads/2/0/3/5/20350587/7968457_orig.jpg
Here is a gator or something. Internal organs are actually close to mammals, honestly. Especially the liver and lungs.
https://www.renderhub.com/3d-horse/komodo-dragon-skeleton/komodo-dragon-skeleton-08.jpg
Komodo dragon. Again, a large critter has a skeletal structure more akin to a dog than a bird.

https://i.pinimg.com/originals/07/48/9b/07489b983bbfe8289bdb4072c089471c.png
While mammals and larger reptiles/amphibians have teeth, lungs, liver, and several other common organs, birds don't even eat food the same way. Hard beaks and use of rocks vs regular mouth, a gizzard rather than trachea and esophagus, none of the organs look mammalian. Lizards became mammals, not birds.
https://i0.wp.com/www.naturshowroom.com/wp-content/uploads/2020/04/Sooty-headed-bulbul-3-1-rotated.jpg?fit=1512%2C1512&ssl=1
Likewise, none of the bones are common to any lizard of amphibian.

Dinosaurs are goofy evolutionists trying to find a link between lizards and birds... when none actually exists. They assemble bones together and show movies like the following, and we the public buy it hook, line, and sinker.

Dinosaurs exist, yup yup yup!
Nope nope nope. Because a kid's movie is not objective proof.

So why do dinosaurs seem related to birds? Wild guess.

https://2.bp.blogspot.com/-TuCWA5-9Qds/Ve_eH6O6faI/AAAAAAAAQNw/IuBzZS4P2MM/s320/dinod050.jpg

Because they are cobbled together from bird bones (mixed with aquatic bones and the occasional cattle bones)

0 Replies

hightor

Reply Fri 26 Aug, 2022 03:57 am
Quote:
Arizona and Nevada haven't been in thousand year drought.

Rolling Eyes

Worst Drought in 1,000 Years Predicted for American West

Megadrought in Southwest Is Now the Worst in at Least 1,200 Years, Study Confirms
Walter Hinteler

Reply Fri 26 Aug, 2022 06:23 am
The Tibetan Plateau, also known as the "Water Tower" of Asia, supplies freshwater to nearly 2 billion people. Experts fear that the region could see a near-total freshwater storage collapse by 2050.

Climate change threatens terrestrial water storage over the Tibetan Plateau
Quote:
Abstract
Terrestrial water storage (TWS) over the Tibetan Plateau, a major global water tower, is crucial in determining water transport and availability to a large downstream Asian population. Climate change impacts on historical and future TWS changes, however, are not well quantified. Here we used bottom-up and top-down approaches to quantify a significant TWS decrease (10.2 Gt yr–1) over the Tibetan Plateau in recent decades (2002–2017), reflecting competing effects of glacier retreat, lake expansion and subsurface water loss. Despite the weakened trends in projected TWS, it shows large declines under a mid-range carbon emissions scenario by the mid-twenty-first century. Excess water-loss projections for the Amu Darya and Indus basins present a critical water resource threat, indicating declines of 119% and 79% in water-supply capacity, respectively. Our study highlights these two hotspots as being at risk from climate change, informing adaptation strategies for these highly vulnerable regions.

DW report: How climate change is driving water scarcity in Asia
0 Replies

bulmabriefs144

Reply Fri 26 Aug, 2022 07:31 am
@hightor,
That's not what a thousand year drought is either, guy.

A thousand year drought is not a record low drought.

It's when it doesn't rain in that area for a thousand years. But you say, not possible. Yeah actually, it is.

The rest is extreme sensationalism, not extreme climate.

Atacama Desert, Chile. The best example of this on Earth is the Atavama Desert. It gets four year droughts, and is used by NASA for clues about life on Mars.
https://www.powerofpositivity.com/chilean-desert-might-provide-clues-about-life-on-mars/
But actual Mars has had a thousand year drought.

Come back when that happens.

WORST IN ONE THOUSAND YEARS!!! Yes, but you know they will get rain.

The bigger problem is that thieving liberals have been taking other people's water for years rather than doing the hard work and desalinizing water.

Quote:
Yeah...but we don't have to means to distribute it from the coasts to the Southwest and mountain states. And desalination is expensive. It's done in some places quite successfully but not on the level that would be required to supply drinking water and irrigation to a vast area of the country.

I never suggested they should. You weren't listening.

California needs to stop sucking on the teat of Arizona and Nevada. They can desalinize some of the water in their ocean, dump it into a freshwater reserve of some sort. This water and onlt this water is important.

The rest of the water in the Southwest needs to recirculate with small amounts drawn for tap, and then flushed back in. Yes, I'm suggesting blowing up the Hoover Dam.

The effect of water circulating through a land is cumulative. It nourishes grass growing along the banks. It evaporates and comes down as rain. It makes the land green. It floods and nourishes the crops after causing flood deaths (notice I didn't even use a comma there). Death is a natural part of life.

I read news that was basically about stealing water from the Rio Grande.
https://abq.news/2022/04/proposed-pipeline-wants-to-suck-water-that-feeds-the-rio-grande-over-200-miles-away/
Quote:
A current plan being proposed by Renewable Water Resources, a Denver development group that includes former Colorado Governor Bill Owens, wants to export 22,000 acre-feet of groundwater via a 200-mile pipeline from the San Luis Valley to the Colorado Front Range. Under the Colorado Water Plan, the Front Range needs more than 500,000 acre-feet of new annual water supply by 2050 to stave off shortages. Douglas County in Colorado is interested in the water.

This is why you are having a drought. Because you're ******* with the way that water naturally flows. Not because of "water table" because you stole it, and expected it to be like a giving tree. Local use of water is fully renewable. Distant outsourcing of water means that water is gone from the area. No more rain. No more floods.

Not "water table" . Water exploitation.

I looked up driest places in the world. One was in Egypt, another was west of Egypt (Sahara). But here's what they said about the one in Egypt. It was in Aswan, not to be confused with the Aswan Dam nearby, and in the picture you can see Egyptian ruins by a rather huge body of water. But said water is not able to flood. The extra water to do so is all sucked out, and put into a dam. I took history classes. I know that, again, alot of people died every time during their floods. But every flood brought intense fertility to the land. In Biblical times, we hear stories of leeks and grains in Egypt. This is more or less consistent with what we learned of history in Egypt. Now that area just has dry ruins. You can't eat ruins.
The teacher stopped talking abour history in Egypt and moved eventually to Greece and Rome, then Europe and finally America. If we're dumb about real water conservation (you can't keep water in a box, it has to flow), sooner or later, the teacher will move on from us to talk about some other country.
"Welp, America tried to make a go of this democracy thing, but the Democratic party, combined with raiding water, dried the whole country into a desert."

Israel uses its water well, and it turned in 50 years from a desert under Palestinians, into a green land under their guidance. This is actually mentioned in the Bible, they have always had the ability to manage water well.
https://www.israelunwired.com/israel-is-turning-the-desert-into-a-paradise-with-this-invention/
https://messianic-revolution.com/d29-11-the-land-of-israel-is-only-fertile-and-fruitful-when-the-israelites-live-there/
Quote:
The early 1900’s was when the Jews began to seek refuge from the anti-Semitism they were experiencing in Europe.

During this time, as more and more Jewish settlers came back to their land, the ground became more and more fruitful.

The hillsides began producing olive and pistachio trees and even rich bananas and mangos.

What was a bleak desert landscape transformed into an oasis in this part of the Middle East!

That’s right.

I’m saying there is a direct correlation between the land’s fruitfulness and the Jews living there.

Even the Gaza Strip was known as Israel’s Greenhouse that produced a whopping 50% of all kosher food products for the whole land of Israel until Israel succumbed to international pressure and handed the land back over to the Palestinians.

Big mistake.

Afterwards, in a very short time, the production of food dropped to the point where they can’t even feed the small Palestinian population living there now.

The takeaway here is simple.

When you do things God’s way, blessings result.
When you don’t do things God’s way, curses result.

The Bible also had stories on what happens when people turn away from God (and misuse the land and water they are given).
Quote:
13 “‘But the family of Israel turned against me in the desert. They did not follow my laws. They refused to obey my rules—even though people who obey my laws live because of them. They treated my special days of rest as if they were not important. They worked on those days many times. I decided to destroy them in the desert—to let them feel the full force of my anger. 14 But I did not destroy them. The other nations saw me bring Israel out of Egypt. I did not want to ruin my good name, so I did not destroy Israel in front of those other people. 15 I made another promise to those people in the desert. I promised that I would not bring them into the land I was giving them. That was a good land filled with many good things. It was the most beautiful of all countries!

16 “‘The people of Israel refused to obey my rules or to follow my laws. They treated my days of rest as if they were not important. They did all these things because their hearts belonged to their filthy idols. 17 But I felt sorry for them, so I did not destroy them. I did not completely destroy them in the desert. 18 I spoke to their children and told them, “Don’t be like your parents. Don’t make yourselves filthy with their filthy idols. Don’t follow their laws or obey their commands. 19 I am the Lord. I am your God. Obey my laws and keep my commands. Do the things I tell you. 20 Show that my days of rest are important to you. Remember, they are a special sign between us. I am the Lord, and these days show you that I am your God.”

21 “‘But the children turned against me and did not obey my laws. They did not keep my commands—even though people who obey my laws live because of them. They treated my special days of rest as though they were not important. So I decided to destroy them completely in the desert—to let them feel the full force of my anger. 22 But I stopped myself. The other nations saw me bring Israel out of Egypt. I did not want to ruin my good name, so I did not destroy Israel in front of those other people. 23 So I made another promise to those people in the desert. I promised to scatter them among the nations, to send them to many different countries.

24 “‘The people of Israel did not obey my commands. They refused to obey my laws. They treated my special days of rest as though they were not important, and they worshiped the filthy idols of their fathers. 25 So I gave them laws that were not good. I gave them commands that would not bring life. 26 I let them make themselves filthy with their gifts. They even began to sacrifice their own firstborn children. In this way I would destroy them. Then they would know that I am the Lord.’ 27 So now, son of man, speak to the family of Israel. Tell them, ‘This is what the Lord God says: The people of Israel said bad things about me and made evil plans against me. 28 But I still brought them to the land I promised to give them. They saw all the hills and green trees, so they went to all those places to worship. They took their sacrifices and anger offerings to all those places. They offered their sacrifices that made a sweet smell, and they offered their drink offerings at those places. 29 I asked the people of Israel why they were going to the high places. But that high place is still there today.'

30 “Since Israel did those things, speak to them and tell them, ‘This is what the Lord God says: You people have made yourselves filthy by doing the things your ancestors did. You have acted like a prostitute. You have left me to be with the horrible gods your ancestors worshiped. 31 You are giving the same kind of gifts. You are putting your children in the fire as a gift to your false gods. You are still making yourself filthy with these filthy idols today! Do you really think that I should let you come to me and ask me for advice? I am the Lord God. By my life, I swear that I will not answer your questions or give you advice! 32 You keep saying you want to be like the other nations. You live like the people in other nations. You serve pieces of wood and stone idols!’”

33 The Lord God says, “By my life, I swear that I will rule over you as king. But I will raise my powerful arm and punish you. I will show my anger against you! 34 I will bring you out of these other nations. I scattered you among these nations, but I will gather you together and bring you back from these countries. But I will raise my powerful arm and punish you. I will show my anger against you! 35 I will lead you into a desert as I did before, but this will be a place where other nations live. We will stand face to face, and I will judge you. 36 I will judge you as I judged your ancestors in the desert near Egypt.” This is what the Lord God said.

37 “I will judge you guilty and punish you according to the agreement. 38 I will remove all those who turned against me and sinned against me. I will remove them from your homeland. They will never again come to the land of Israel. Then you will know that I am the Lord.”

39 Now, family of Israel, this is what the Lord God says: “Whoever wants to worship their filthy idols, let them go and worship them. But later, don’t think you will get any advice from me. You will not ruin my name anymore—not when you continue to give your gifts to your filthy idols!”

40 The Lord God says, “People must come to my holy mountain—the high mountain in Israel—to serve me! The whole family of Israel will be on their land; they will be there in their country. There you can come to ask me for advice, and you must come there to bring me your offerings. You must bring the first part of your crops to me there. You must bring all your holy gifts to me in that place. 41 Then I will be pleased with the sweet smell of your sacrifices. That will happen when I bring you back. I scattered you among many nations, but I will gather you together and make you my special people again. And all the nations will see it. 42 Then you will know that I am the Lord. You will know this when I bring you back to the land of Israel, the land I promised to give to your ancestors. 43 In that country you will remember all the evil things you did that made you filthy, and you will be ashamed. 44 Family of Israel, you did many evil things, and you should be destroyed because of them. But to protect my good name, I will not give you the punishment you really deserve. Then you will know that I am the Lord.” This is what the Lord God said.

45 Then the word of the Lord came to me. He said, 46 “Son of man, look toward the Negev, the southern part of Judah. Speak against the Negev Forest. 47 Say to the Negev Forest, ‘Listen to the word of the Lord. This is what the Lord God said: Look, I am ready to start a fire in your forest. The fire will destroy every green tree and every dry tree. The flame that burns will not be put out. All the land from south to north will be burned by the fire. 48 Then all people will see that I, the Lord, have started the fire. The fire will not be put out!’”

49 Then I said, “Oh, Lord God! If I say this, the people will say that I am only telling them stories.”

This is what happens in California. They have too damned many forests, which they don't maintain by cleaning underbrush. These forests dry out and then burn up. Part of California is desert, part of it is burning forest, it's all hellhole. Because they don't use their own resources, and they don't care properly for what they have. They don't care for those forests because they see them as too precious to cut. Clogged forests dry the land up, and then the land burns.

You have to manage land and water correctly. No hoarding, no diverting, and no allowing overgrowth. Virginia doesn't rain so much just because thety are lucky. It's because they ignored these assholes that told them water needs to be conserved. No, water is a renewable resource. It needs to flow. And we collect some if it for use, and dump it back in where it travels through plants and goes back to the rivers and lakes. The water cycle, not the water table.

Walter Hinteler

Reply Fri 26 Aug, 2022 09:43 am
The European Drought Observatory maps drought the way meteorologists map extreme weather: it maps watches, warnings and alerts based on a lack of rainfall, a lack of soil moisture, and stress to vegetation following a lack of moisture, respectively. In addition to the online map viewer, there is a comparison tool and a way to generate your own maps from the data, among other tools. As of early August, the Observatory says, 47 percent of EU territory is facing warning conditions, 17 percent in alert conditions. It’s been a bad summer.

http://i.imgur.com/facnm8pl.jpg
(Screenshot)

European Drought Observatory
0 Replies

hightor

Reply Fri 26 Aug, 2022 02:40 pm
@bulmabriefs144,
Quote:
The bigger problem is that thieving liberals have been taking other people's water for years...

A bigger problem is your bias – the water allocations were distributed in the 1920's, long before California became a bastion of liberal politics.

Quote:
California needs to stop sucking on the teat of Arizona and Nevada.

Actually, Arizona and Nevada should have never allowed their metropolitan areas to grow so large and the Colorado River should have been allowed to flow unimpeded into the Sea of Cortez. But what should've happened isn't what we're actually faced with.

Quote:
Yes, I'm suggesting blowing up the Hoover Dam.

I've forwarded this comment to the FBI.

Quote:
This is why you are having a drought.

Water mismanagement can cause shortages but it doesn't cause droughts, which are periods of below normal precipitation.

Quote:
They have too damned many forests, which they don't maintain by cleaning underbrush.

This bit of misinformation originated with Trump; it's not surprising that you would parrot it. The federal government owns and manages most of California's forests.

Quote:
Virginia doesn't rain so much just because thety are lucky.

No one said it was.

Quote:
It's because they ignored these assholes that told them water needs to be conserved.

Water conservation or the absence of it has no direct effect on the annual rainfall. Your statement is meaningless – you just wanted to call people "assholes".
bulmabriefs144

Reply Fri 26 Aug, 2022 10:47 pm
@hightor,
Liberal mentality exists outside liberalism proper, and has existed since ancient times, before there even was a liberal party much less an America. It's called feeling entitled to other people's land or property.

Here is an ancient example:
Quote:
12 When Isaac planted his crops that year, he harvested a hundred times more grain than he planted, for the Lord blessed him. 13 He became a very rich man, and his wealth continued to grow. 14 He acquired so many flocks of sheep and goats, herds of cattle, and servants that the Philistines became jealous of him. 15 So the Philistines filled up all of Isaac’s wells with dirt. These were the wells that had been dug by the servants of his father, Abraham.

16 Finally, Abimelech ordered Isaac to leave the country. “Go somewhere else,” he said, “for you have become too powerful for us.”

17 So Isaac moved away to the Gerar Valley, where he set up their tents and settled down. 18 He reopened the wells his father had dug, which the Philistines had filled in after Abraham’s death. Isaac also restored the names Abraham had given them.

19 Isaac’s servants also dug in the Gerar Valley and discovered a well of fresh water. 20 But then the shepherds from Gerar came and claimed the spring. “This is our water,” they said, and they argued over it with Isaac’s herdsmen. So Isaac named the well Esek (which means “argument”). 21 Isaac’s men then dug another well, but again there was a dispute over it. So Isaac named it Sitnah (which means “hostility”). 22 Abandoning that one, Isaac moved on and dug another well. This time there was no dispute over it, so Isaac named the place Rehoboth (which means “open space”), for he said, “At last the Lord has created enough space for us to prosper in this land.”

As you can see, water disputes are ancient. Instead of stealing the water of these people, he moved. The people of California would be wise to also move to an open space that nobody cares about.

Quote:
Actually, Arizona and Nevada should have never allowed their metropolitan areas to grow so large and the Colorado River should have been allowed to flow unimpeded into the Sea of Cortez. But what should've happened isn't what we're actually faced with.

I've been to Arizona's "metropolitan areas." Most aren't really that big. Arizona is not built up, with miles between populated areas.

Aside from Las Vegas (which was built on a desert to start with, and is freaking eerie during the day), most of Nevada isn't either.

That's an excuse and you know it.

California by contrast has many cities (482 of them!) and their largest city has roughly 3 times the population of Phoenix. But no, it's obviously because there are too many people in Arizona that it's dry.

Arizona lawns to everyone who isn't a billionaire.
https://elslandscapeaz.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/07/IMG00028-1024x768.jpg

California lawns on the other hand, I've seen. For the most part, they keep them very green, very manicured, and very unnatural. And a big portion is to do with water being from the Rio Grande and Hoover Dam areas.

I also lived in Arizona for half a year. Apartments had strict rules about reusing greywater. Arizona is being shamed about its population and water usage. They need to stop supplying water so they can make their lawns pretty.

Al Gore was on record in one of his books talking about the iceberg lettuce (he was talking about cheeseburgers, if I remember correctly). From memory, he said something about the tons and tons of water spent in Napa Valley to grow these eyesores, how they have virtually no nutrition, whereas cabbage is loaded with vitamin K and C, as well as being a source of manganese. I may have embellished a bit on the minerals, but the point that giant hypocrite was making was that enormous resources are spent on this crop with no nutritional value. Iceberg lettuce is 96% water. Cabbage by contrast, takes significantly less water because it is a normal crop. He also broke down grain-feeding and maybe even what it takes to grow tomatoes. I remember this because I was hungry afterwards.

Quote:
I've forwarded this comment to the FBI.

You do that. I'll explain to them that California has been systematically draining water ever since its tourist boom, with its unnatural water use, that they are an enemy of a free state that threatens water security, and it's time to pull the plug. I am certain they will side with me.

Though come to think of it, I imagine the FBI does know of me, but I'd have a hard time believing they would consider me a threat. Well, unless the whole government goes woke, and then they consider anyone who isn't far left a threat.

Quote:
Quote:
Virginia doesn't rain so much just because they are lucky.

No one said it was.

Actually, the way you said its rainfall, it was like you were stating they just happen to get good rainfall.

Quote:
Water mismanagement can cause shortages but it doesn't cause droughts, which are periods of below normal precipitation.

A drought is a shortage. Or rather, water being relocated from its natural area, creates drought. Water doesn't just magnetize to the river or lake it is from, a lake that is piped from say Australia to Las Vegas would totally dry out that area in Australia, lowering its natural precipitation. But I'm also convinced it screws with Las Vegas, too. The soil in Las Vegas isn't suited for that, and it screws with them.
0 Replies

hightor

Reply Sat 27 Aug, 2022 04:42 am
Swedish island holds ‘ugliest lawn’ contest to help conserve water
bulmabriefs144

Reply Sat 27 Aug, 2022 07:45 am
@hightor,
Sweden is a cold yet fertile land. Within years, this "contest" will turn it into a desert.

https://i.redd.it/jd40trg1p3531.jpg

What actual Swedish forests look like.

More of Greta Thunberg's idiocy.

https://cdn.mamamia.com.au/wp/wp-content/uploads/2019/09/25065821/greta-feature-image.jpg

https://www.gannett-cdn.com/presto/2019/09/23/USAT/e765d198-5f99-4a00-9402-a5fcb754cdc0-VPC_GRETA_THUNBERG_EMOTIONAL_DESK_THUMB.jpg?width=3200&height=1800&fit=crop

2/3 of this gal's pictures are of her making pouting faces.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Sat 27 Aug, 2022 09:40 am
A century and a half after the Challenger mission transformed our understanding of the seas, researchers meet to tackle the latest threats.

Scientists set for ocean crisis debate 150 years after ‘extraordinary’ expedition
Quote:
In a few days, several hundred researchers will gather in the UK to debate the crises facing the oceans – and to pay tribute to the expedition that first opened them up to scientific scrutiny.

Exactly 150 years ago, the Challenger expedition began a transformation in our understanding of the seas. It revealed the existence of myriad forms of life at every depth and showed the ocean floor was not a featureless plain, as then thought, but was peppered with mountain ranges and deep trenches.

“We now know that the oceans play a fundamental role in driving Earth’s chemical, physical and biological processes,” said Nick Owens, director of the Scottish Association for Marine Science. “They are crucial to the health of the planet and they are suffering from multiple threats today. Challenger began that understanding, and it is appropriate that we mark the expedition’s 150th anniversary by comparing the state of the oceans then and now.”

When Challenger set sail, the seas were hardly affected by global warming; acidification caused by the absorption of carbon dioxide was not a problem; and the millions of tonnes of plastic that now pollute our seas remained a distant threat. “The picture of the oceans that was revealed by Challenger provides us with a perfect baseline for looking at the state of our seas today,” said Owens, who will speak at the Challenger 150 conference which opens in London on 6 September.

Challenger sailed from Sheerness in December 1872 with a company of 250 sailors, engineers and marines – plus six scientists led by the Scottish naturalist Sir Charles Wyville Thomson. Over the next four years, the vessel, which was fitted with a steam engine for dredging, sailed 68,890 nautical miles across the Pacific, Atlantic and Southern oceans; took 133 scoops from the ocean floor; carried out 492 deep-sea soundings and made 263 serial water temperature observations along its route.

Apart from measuring sea depths, temperatures and currents, the expedition collected marine life from every part of the ocean. More than 100,000 species were collected, preserved and returned to the expedition’s headquarters in Edinburgh. It took a further 20 years to study these specimens, among which more than 4,700 new species of plants and sea life were discovered. The final report, completed by John Murray after Thomson’s death in 1882, ran to 50 volumes.

“It was an extraordinary achievement,” said the marine researcher Adrian Glover of the Natural History Museum, one of the hosts of the Challenger 150 conference. “Essentially, the Challenger expedition was the first multidisciplinary international science project.

“Until then, science tended to be carried out by individuals working in small laboratories. Challenger changed that. It tackled geology, chemistry, biology and a host of other disciplines. It led to the birth of international interdisciplinary projects that now form the mainstay of research into topics such as climate change.”

At the time, most scientists thought the deep ocean floor was utterly uniform: a vast, flat expanse, filled with soft mud, said Erika Jones, curator of navigation and oceanography at the National Maritime Museum, Greenwich.

“Challenger showed this was definitely not the case. It came back with these amazing charts that showed mountain ranges, valleys and vast trenches deep below the waves.” The deepest of these is now known as the Challenger Deep. It lies 10,900 metres below the surface in the western Pacific Ocean and is the deepest-known point on the surface of the Earth.

It was also thought that the deep ocean could not support life because it was too dark and too cold, and pressures were far too great. Challenger changed that view as well, added Jones, whose book, The Challenger Expedition: Exploring the Ocean’s Depths ,will be published in October.

The species discovered by Challenger ranged from tiny shellfish to strange fish like the stargazing seadevil, Ceratias uranoscopus. However, the Challenger discovery that may have the greatest impact in coming years looked undramatic at the time. Dredging the Pacific seabed, the expedition brought up small nuggets of dark material covered with faint indentations. “These were polymetallic nodules, and we now know they litter the seabed in their trillions,” said Glover. The first nodule found by Challenger is on display in the Natural History Museum, he added.

These nodules are rich in manganese, nickel, cobalt and copper – used for making the electric cars, wind turbines and solar panels that are needed to replace the carbon-emitting lorries, power plants and factories wrecking our climate. Mining companies say their extraction should be an international priority. By dredging up nodules from the deep, we could help to halt the scorching of our planet’s ravaged surface, they argue.

Many marine scientists disagree. “It is hard to imagine how seabed mines could feasibly operate without devastating species and ecosystems,” says UK marine biologist Helen Scales – a view shared by David Attenborough, who has called for a moratorium on all deep-sea mining plans.

Along with overfishing and climate change, the issue will be debated at the conference. Mining companies say it should be relatively straightforward to suck up the nodules that litter the seabed. Many marine biologists disagree. The impact could be catastrophic, they say, though they acknowledge that this message can be difficult to get across.

“What is scary from a scientific point of view is that it is so difficult to demonstrate to the public how important these environments are for the health of the planet in terms of global nutrient cycling, carbon capture, and maintaining biodiversity,” said another keynote speaker, the marine chemist Katherine Duncan, of Strathclyde University.

“Images of the destruction of rainforests have a visceral impact but those of the ocean floor do not have that effect. A sponge is not as photogenic as an orang-utan.”

Yet the seabed has a lot to offer humanity, Duncan insisted. Her research involves a process known as pattern-based genome mining which she has used to study sediment cores extracted from the ocean floor 4,000 metres deep off the coast of Antarctica.

This work has already revealed the existence of two new species of marine bacteria, Pseudonocardia abyssalis and Pseudonocardia oceani, which make antimicrobial compounds and could one day be used to make new ranges of antibiotics.

Although a relatively new science, research on marine organisms has already created dozens of effective drugs. Examples include the sea squirt Ecteinascidia turbinata which attaches itself to mangrove roots: it was found to have anticancer properties and led to the development of Yondelis, a sarcoma and ovarian cancer drug. Similarly, an extract from the sea snail, Conus magus, has been used in synthetic form to create Prialt, a chronic pain drug. Corals, sea slugs, marine worms and molluscs have also been used to create promising medicines.

“The worry is that if we begin deep-sea mining without proper controls, we run the risk of destroying invaluable sources of medicines for the future,” added Duncan.

Other threats to the health of the oceans include overfishing. More than 150 million tonnes of fish are caught for human consumption every year, and it is now estimated that a third of the planet’s fish stocks are being exploited unsustainably.

However, it is climate change that is the ultimate threat, Owens said. “The oceans drive so many planetary processes and they are also absorbing most of the heat generated by our fossil fuel emissions. In the end, there is only so much they can take, and from what we have learned about impacts over the past 150 years, it is clear they cannot take much more without there being significant impacts on the planet.”