Global Warming...New Report...and it ain't happy news

Ionus

Reply Tue 19 May, 2015 09:01 pm
@FBM,
Quote:
We don't need no damn science! We have a political position!
At least one of you is honest about the real science behind GW . I didnt think you would be honest enough to admit it though .
0 Replies

Ionus

Reply Tue 19 May, 2015 09:26 pm
Look at all the ad hominems and straw men from people who are supposed to have science on their side but are scared to discuss real science . I'll take that as a win . Laughing
parados

Reply Wed 20 May, 2015 06:11 am
@Ionus,
Simple fact that I use to answer someone If Antarctic ice all melts the oceans will rise by over 200 feet. Facts are now scare tactics according to Ionus. Unless you want to argue that there isn't that much ice on Antarctica, Ionus. Science isn't on your side at all Ionus. You have provided nothing but rhetoric that isn't based on facts.
Ionus

Reply Wed 20 May, 2015 07:08 am
@parados,
Quote:
If Antarctic ice all melts the oceans will rise by over 200 feet
Right . But it wont rise due to GW will it ?
Ionus

Reply Wed 20 May, 2015 07:15 am
Hopefully we can get back to science . No one has proved that CO2 causes GW . No one has proved that any trending we may be able to discern (and that is a matter for debate all by itself) is caused by humans .
Olivier5

Reply Wed 20 May, 2015 08:01 am
@Ionus,
What would in your view constitute a reasonable, convincing proof of man-made GW?
0 Replies

parados

Reply Wed 20 May, 2015 11:30 am
@Ionus,
Ionus wrote:

Quote:
If Antarctic ice all melts the oceans will rise by over 200 feet
Right . But it wont rise due to GW will it ?

Hmm.. what causes ice to melt?
What happens to the oceans when the ice on Antarctica and Greenland melts?

When you want to argue that global warming won't cause ice to melt, you make yourself look like a fool Ionus. Whenever the globe warms for whatever reason will be global warming. When there is global warming ice will melt. Pretty simple stuff there Ionus.
Ionus

Reply Wed 20 May, 2015 09:13 pm
@parados,
No, Parados, you look like a fool when no one claims the Antarctic ice sheet will melt but you mention it, not for its scare value, but simply to show off your pathetic mathematical skills .

Quote:
Whenever the globe warms for whatever reason will be global warming.
Therein lies the extreme stupidity of the GWThuggees . The world can not warm unless man does it .

You are avoiding the science, arent you . Dont you have enough knowledge to debate it ? You have been a devotee of GW for years now...havent you read any of the science ?
Ionus

Reply Wed 20 May, 2015 09:23 pm
Lets ignore all the things that have produced climatic change in the past... the distribution of the continents with their mountain ranges, the ocean and air currents produced by those, the amount of shallow and deep water, the amount of volcanic activity, the solar cycles, the earth cycles, lets go green and blame one thing ...man . Naughty, awful man . Fits the libbies agenda, the greens agenda, the minorities, hell it fits everyone's agenda who had previously been saying how nasty man was as this is simply another stone to throw .
0 Replies

Ionus

Reply Wed 20 May, 2015 09:26 pm
GWThuggees need to prove three things :

1) The planet is getting hotter .

2) The sole cause of the planet getting hotter is man made CO2 (the greenhouse gas that has the smallest effect), Or of not the sole cause then apportion the amount by man .

3) The result will be catastrophic.
hawkeye10

Reply Wed 20 May, 2015 10:28 pm
@Ionus,
Ionus wrote:

GWThuggees need to prove three four things :

1) The planet is getting hotter . yes

2) The sole cause of the planet getting hotter is man made CO2 (the greenhouse gas that has the smallest effect), Or of not the sole cause then apportion the amount by man . Yes

3) The result will be catastrophic. No, that the result is a problem enough to look into seeing if we can change the result

4) That we have the financial AND skills ability to change the result

If these four points are satisfied then we need to look into forming a global government so that we have some chance of making it happen.
Ionus

Reply Thu 21 May, 2015 02:28 am
@hawkeye10,
Quote:
If these four points are satisfied then we need to look into forming a global government so that we have some chance of making it happen.
Strange how the UN seem to be the main proponents and were the instigators .
0 Replies

Olivier5

Reply Thu 21 May, 2015 05:23 am
@hawkeye10,
You forgot:

5) We care enough about the world we are leaving to our children and grandchildren to change our lifestyle... And that's a resounding "NO".

That primarily why some people resist the thought, I think. They want to protect the illusion that they actually give a toss for the next generation.

parados

Reply Thu 21 May, 2015 09:08 am
@Ionus,
Ionus wrote:

No, Parados, you look like a fool when no one claims the Antarctic ice sheet will melt but you mention it, not for its scare value, but simply to show off your pathetic mathematical skills .

Ionus wrote:

I will bet you that the poles have been ice free in the past and will be again in the future based on REAL science .

No one mentions it but YOU were willing to bet that they would be ice free? Amnesia or dementia?
hawkeye10

Reply Thu 21 May, 2015 10:11 am
@Olivier5,
Olivier5 wrote:

You forgot:

5) We care enough about the world we are leaving to our children and grandchildren to change our lifestyle... And that's a resounding "NO".

That primarily why some people resist the thought, I think. They want to protect the illusion that they actually give a toss for the next generation.

it is true that a nation that is willing to load the unborn up with debt and leave them a broken down infrastructure is not likely willing to sacrifice much to try to keep the planet healthy, but it is way too early to say. But I do note this underling attitude that any change in the Earth climate caused by humans would be bad and should be reversed at any cost, which is supremely dumb. Change can often be managed, and the Earth is going to die just as we are no matter what we do, so sacrificing ourselves for the good of Earth is pointless. We owe it to the unborn to keep the Earth livable, we should not be spinning our wheels and throwing away our wealth trying to keep the Earth as it is, or make it again like it was,

My current attitude is "wake me if someone proves that we have a problem to deal with". We are not there yet.
Olivier5

Reply Thu 21 May, 2015 10:22 am
@hawkeye10,
No, your current attitude is one of denial. But that's okay. I've given up on the capacity of our generation to do anything about it. Human beings are just what they are. We all say: Après moi le déluge.
hawkeye10

Reply Thu 21 May, 2015 10:26 am
@Olivier5,
Quote:
No, your current attitude is one of denial

What do we know that I am denying? I say that we know that the planet is getting hotter and that almost certainly humans are part of the reason. Do we know anything more?
MontereyJack

Reply Thu 21 May, 2015 10:44 am
@hawkeye10,
We know that we are playing the MAJOR part, yes.

hawkeye10

Reply Thu 21 May, 2015 10:45 am
@hawkeye10,
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/5/5f/All_palaeotemps.svg/1000px-All_palaeotemps.svg.png

Granted we are built to live on Earth so if the temp gets too far off of what we have now we are going to be in trouble, but I cant imagine that 10 degrees C increase is going to unmanageable. And no one expects that kind of increase. And we might be able to use our smarts to do something to the atmosphere to lower the temp even as we keep living as we are.

So why the freak out?

It makes no rational sense.
hawkeye10

Reply Thu 21 May, 2015 10:49 am
@MontereyJack,
MontereyJack wrote:

We know that we are playing the MAJOR part, yes.

We started majorly changing the Earth many thousands of years ago. This is old news.
0 Replies