Global Warming...New Report...and it ain't happy news

Phil Dorrington

Reply Tue 9 Dec, 2014 03:32 am
@blatham,
May not be the 1st person with this idea or 2 - but as back-up options for an escalating / unresolved Global Warming crisis - do we know enough about Asteroid impacts ie. Links to Climate Change, Ice Ages etc. ? perhaps do some testing / extrapolation about the possibility of redirecting an Asteroid of the right (calculated) size to Earth to create a Dust Cloud to block some Sunlight.
What potential capacity is there to alleviate Sea Level rises by channelling / using pipework to redistribute rising Sea Water to inland Canyons / Valleys / Low-lying areas?

Phil Dorrington
Phil Dorrington

Reply Tue 9 Dec, 2014 03:46 am
@squinney,
I think it's about the litigation potential against the Big Oil companies for failing to warn of the Environmental consequences of burning fuel for about a century. A potential 6 Billion odd clients for a class action.
0 Replies

roger

Reply Tue 9 Dec, 2014 03:53 am
@Phil Dorrington,
I don't know. The Qattara Depression in Libya might do it if someone wanted to blast a channel to the Mediterranean. Might even green up the dessert when it finally raised the north African humidity.

I would be leery of creating dust clouds. It could surely get chilly if someone miscalculated.
0 Replies

Phil Dorrington

Reply Tue 9 Dec, 2014 05:02 am
@blatham,
What's the legal precedent / standing / policy I wonder in various parts of the world if your land is reclaimed by the Sea? Do you still own that patch of Sea? perhaps for a HouseBoat? Can you initiate legal proceedings against the Big Oil companies for failing to warn of the potential impacts of Climate change for about 100 years?
Phil Dorrington

Reply Tue 9 Dec, 2014 11:10 pm
@blatham,
http://news.yahoo.com/asteroid-dust-could-fight-climate-change-earth-132248031.html
parados

Reply Wed 10 Dec, 2014 10:09 am
@Phil Dorrington,
Yes. Anything the helps block sunlight from reaching the surface can do that. There have been a lot of different proposals from seeding the upper atmosphere with mylar strips to launching a lot of mirrors into low orbit that can be turned to reflect incoming sunlight.

The problem with all those proposals is nature can at anytime do much more than we can do. Let's say we cause an asteroid to crash into the earth then within the next year another asteroid crashes into earth on it's own. We now would have too much cooling based on nature's help.
0 Replies

Ionus

Reply Tue 21 Apr, 2015 11:33 pm
@Phil Dorrington,
Quote:
What's the legal precedent / standing / policy I wonder in various parts of the world if your land is reclaimed by the Sea? Do you still own that patch of Sea? perhaps for a HouseBoat?
There are precedents in Britain but I dont know if they are all the same . A little research may show...

Quote:
Can you initiate legal proceedings against the Big Oil companies for failing to warn of the potential impacts of Climate change for about 100 years?
No . It must be shown neglect after something is a proven fact eg asbestos, but even then if they are powerful eg cigarettes, you will have a fight on your hands .

Global Warming is not a proven fact . Science does not predict the future .
0 Replies

FBM

Reply Thu 23 Apr, 2015 02:02 am
http://www.theguardian.com/environment/climate-consensus-97-per-cent/2015/apr/21/university-offering-free-online-course-to-demolish-climate-denial?CMP=share_btn_tw

Quote:
University offering free online course to demolish climate denial
The University of Queensland’s course examines the science of climate science denial

The course coordinator is John Cook, University of Queensland Global Change Institute climate communication fellow, and founder of the climate science myth debunking website Skeptical Science. Cook’s research has primarily focused on the psychology of climate science denial. As he explains,

97% of climate scientists agree that humans are causing global warming; however, less than half of Australians are aware of humanity’s role in climate change, while half of the US Senate has voted that humans aren’t causing global warming. This free course explains why there is such a huge gap between the scientific community and the public. Our course looks at what’s driving climate science denial and the most common myths about climate change.

The course includes climate science and myth debunking lectures by the international team of volunteer scientific contributors to Skeptical Science, including myself, and interviews with many of the world’s leading climate science and psychology experts. Making Sense of Climate Science Denial is a seven-week program featuring interviews with 75 scientific experts, including Sir David Attenborough, Katharine Hayhoe, Richard Alley, Michael Mann, and Naomi Oreskes.

The course incorporates lessons in both climate science and psychology to explain the most common climate myths and to detail how to respond to them. Research has shown that myth debunking is most effective when people understand why the myth originated in the first place. For example, cherry picking (focusing on a small bit of convenient data and ignoring the rest) is one of the most common fallacies behind climate science myths.
Ionus

Reply Thu 23 Apr, 2015 02:48 am
@FBM,
Which part of the "science" has convinced you of man made global warming ?
0 Replies

hingehead

Reply Thu 23 Apr, 2015 03:36 pm
@FBM,
Just to prove Australia isn't a beacon of light

Australian taxpayers funding climate contrarian's methods with $4m Bjørn Lomborg centre

Our 'govern'ment propped up a $4million for University of Western Australia Business School to host Lomborg's 'don't spend money on carbon reduction, it's too expensive' consensus methodology.

http://www.theguardian.com/environment/planet-oz/2015/apr/23/australia-paying-4-million-for-bjrn-lomborgs-flawed-methods-that-downgrade-climate-change
ossobuco

Reply Thu 23 Apr, 2015 05:09 pm
@hingehead,
Let me mention this link to a recent thread of mine that got no interest. It doesn't deny global warming (et al) but goes local in another way.

Jonathan Franzen re climate change and immediate area care
http://able2know.org/topic/274480-1

I was a little slow to warm up to his NYer article but got more and more interested re his point of view.
http://www.newyorker.com/magazine/2015/04/06/carbon-capture
0 Replies

spooky24

Reply Thu 23 Apr, 2015 06:03 pm
@blatham,
Bickering about is pointless. There is nothing we can do about it anyway. "Green Energy technology" was a colossal and expensive failure. Trillions was wasted telling us what we already knew-that you can't put electrons in a box and move them from place to place. There is no miracle anywhere on the horizon for the next decade. The only solution is to cut consumption and how to do that without destroying a very fragile economy.

That is the question.
FBM

Reply Thu 23 Apr, 2015 08:27 pm
@hingehead,
Yeah, there's no shortage of wingnut denialism anywhere, as far as I can see.
RABEL222

Reply Thu 23 Apr, 2015 08:32 pm
@FBM,
Big business profit is what pushes denialism. Nothing more nothing less.
FBM

Reply Thu 23 Apr, 2015 08:36 pm
@RABEL222,
Yep. And then there's the people who just love to take the prima donna role by being knee-jerk contrarians on whatever topic arises. But on the large scale, yeah, Big Oil and whatnot spend a lot of $$ to resist the science with convincing, but empty, rhetoric.
0 Replies

Ionus

Reply Thu 23 Apr, 2015 09:00 pm
@hingehead,
But the billions spent around the world to promote Global Warming doesnt bother you ? How many scientists get paid to find GW ? If they dont find it, they dont get any more research grants .
0 Replies

Ionus

Reply Thu 23 Apr, 2015 09:02 pm
@spooky24,
No replies to your post because it was accurate and to the point...not enough emotion for these clowns, I suspect .
0 Replies

Ionus

Reply Thu 23 Apr, 2015 09:03 pm
@FBM,
Quote:
Yeah, there's no shortage of wingnut denialism anywhere, as far as I can see.
Yeah, there's no shortage of wingnut greenies anywhere, as far as I can see.
0 Replies

Ionus

Reply Thu 23 Apr, 2015 09:04 pm
@RABEL222,
Quote:
Big business profit is what pushes denialism. Nothing more nothing less.
Green radicalism is what pushes GW. Nothing more nothing less.
0 Replies

hingehead

Reply Thu 23 Apr, 2015 11:04 pm
Lomborgisms
https://fbcdn-sphotos-b-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-xpa1/v/t1.0-9/11174974_988831124475503_353212413117902742_n.png?oh=b66e74559c49d4a21368eef7b396c320&oe=55A01776&__gda__=1436474955_b21fbf6b3083eb4ef040f2b68aefec23