Global Warming...New Report...and it ain't happy news

georgeob1

Reply Wed 1 Feb, 2012 10:12 am
@parados,
parados wrote:

Quote:
At 3% wind power is still a niche industry.

And you completely ignore that it will by 20% of power in 2030.

It is easy to ignore something that doesn't yet exist and which, based on experience so far appears to be extremely unlikely.

The simple fact remains that wind power costs about three times as much as readily available conventional sourcers of power, and that the 20% share you (very unrealistically) forecast would therefore involve a roughly 40% increase in the cost of the electrical energy consumed in the country. Such an increase in the cost of a commodity so ubiquitous and fundamental to economic activity would have a profoundly adverse effect on our economic activity and our competitiveness in an increasingly competitive world.
0 Replies

oralloy

Reply Wed 1 Feb, 2012 06:50 pm
@parados,
parados wrote:
I never said wind would be 100% of our energy needs. That would be your strawman.

No strawman. You may not say it, but there are plenty who do.
0 Replies

MontereyJack

Reply Wed 1 Feb, 2012 09:09 pm
Really? Name two.
oralloy

Reply Wed 1 Feb, 2012 09:58 pm
@MontereyJack,
MontereyJack wrote:
Really? Name two.

Pass.

If you'd like to discuss the reality that renewables can never supply 100% of our energy needs, I might be game for limited discussion however.
0 Replies

H2O MAN

Reply Sat 11 Feb, 2012 08:34 am

Himalayan glaciers have lost no ice in the past 10 years, new study reveals
parados

Reply Sat 11 Feb, 2012 12:04 pm
@H2O MAN,
From your link
Quote:

"The total amount of ice lost to Earth's oceans from 2003 to 2010 would cover the entire United States in about 1 and one-half feet of water," Wahr said.

Read more: http://www.foxnews.com/scitech/2012/02/09/himalayan-glaciers-have-lost-no-ice-in-past-10-years-new-study-reveals/?intcmp=features#ixzz1m67B2ciU

0 Replies

H2O MAN

Reply Sat 11 Feb, 2012 12:08 pm

No ice loss in 10 years, the ice coverage has actually expanded.
MontereyJack

Reply Sat 11 Feb, 2012 01:11 pm
Didn't read it very thoroughly, did you, H2? That headline is total misdirection, when the body of the article, and the study, say the Himalayas in fact are losing ice, tho not as much as one previous calculation, loss 4 billion tons a year. Lower altitude glaciers and ice caps are losing 150 billion tons of ice a year. That's what your own cite says. Even Fox News can't spin that. 90% of the world's glaciers are melting. Sea level is rising. Climate change is real, and we're doing it.
0 Replies

MontereyJack

Reply Sat 11 Feb, 2012 02:06 pm
And here's a rather more unbiased account (i.e. non-Fox-News) report of the same study, which in fact shows that when we look at all the earth's ice, including particularly Greenland and the Antarctic, which are far more extensive than the Himalayas (and which, for some reason, guess what, Fox doesn't talk about), ice loss amounts to 385 billion tons a year.

http://green.blogs.nytimes.com/2012/02/08/from-2-satellites-the-big-picture-on-ice-melt/?src=recg
RABEL222

Reply Sat 11 Feb, 2012 02:18 pm
@MontereyJack,
I wonder why they call it fox news? Wouldent fox propaganda network be more appropriate?
oralloy

Reply Sun 12 Feb, 2012 06:49 am
@H2O MAN,
H2O MAN wrote:
No ice loss in 10 years, the ice coverage has actually expanded.

What ever came of those scientists' efforts to cover up the fact that snow levels in the Cascades are increasing?

They succeed in sweeping everything under the rug?
oralloy

Reply Sun 12 Feb, 2012 06:50 am
@RABEL222,
RABEL222 wrote:
I wonder why they call it fox news? Wouldent fox propaganda network be more appropriate?

Not at all. They may not be to my own personal tastes, but Fox does a decent job of presenting accurate news.
0 Replies

parados

Reply Sun 12 Feb, 2012 08:16 am
@oralloy,
If you had read the story oralloy, you would have known that the statement you quoted was false.
oralloy

Reply Sun 12 Feb, 2012 08:29 am
@parados,
parados wrote:
If you had read the story oralloy, you would have known that the statement you quoted was false.

Perhaps. But I was not interested in the article or the quote. I was just curious about whether people had managed to successfully suppress the data from the Cascades.
parados

Reply Sun 12 Feb, 2012 08:32 am
@oralloy,
Why would they need to suppress the data? Do you even have any evidence of them suppressing data?

Oh.. it's just a narrative of pretending that something is happening so you can claim it's a conspiracy. Do you need to go out and buy more tinfoil?
oralloy

Reply Sun 12 Feb, 2012 08:40 am
@parados,
parados wrote:
Why would they need to suppress the data?

They don't. People who suppress data do it because they are dishonest.

parados wrote:
Do you even have any evidence of them suppressing data?

Well, there was all the squawking from the scientists whose data was being suppressed. It seems that good scientists object to having bad scientists censor their data for political reasons.

parados wrote:
Oh.. it's just a narrative of pretending that something is happening so you can claim it's a conspiracy. Do you need to go out and buy more tinfoil?

The idea of scientific integrity has nothing to do with tinfoil.
parados

Reply Sun 12 Feb, 2012 10:41 am
@oralloy,
Your lack of any evidence to support your contention DOES have a lot to do with tin foil.
oralloy

Reply Sun 12 Feb, 2012 11:54 am
@parados,
parados wrote:
Your lack of any evidence to support your contention DOES have a lot to do with tin foil.

You are confused. I did not make a contention. I asked for an update on a subject.
parados

Reply Sun 12 Feb, 2012 12:45 pm
@oralloy,
I guess we need an update on your diagnosis of dementia oralloy.

I didn't make a contention in that statement according to you just an update on a subject.
oralloy

Reply Sun 12 Feb, 2012 01:15 pm
@parados,
parados wrote:
I guess we need an update on your diagnosis of dementia oralloy.

I didn't make a contention in that statement according to you just an update on a subject.

No, according to me you said a lot of nonsense about tinfoil. And you didn't provide any information to answer my question.

Admittedly I wasn't looking to you for the information in question, but since you brought up the subject of "what you said according to me".....