Global Warming...New Report...and it ain't happy news

Ionus

Reply Tue 9 Feb, 2010 05:03 pm
@parados,
You have to go back at least 15 posts of yours to find any mention of Global Warming. Obviously Shakespeare and Global Warming are two things you have convinced yourself that you know about and having made a fool of yourself in Global Warming you now think the time is right to convince people of your overall stupidity by misquoting Shakespeare. You started by getting the quote wrong and then tried to blame Shakespeare for plagiarism of your "works". Can you see the green type at the top of the page ?
0 Replies

Ionus

Reply Tue 9 Feb, 2010 05:18 pm
@parados,
Quote:
"Ionus guide to being an idiot".
If I were writting such a guide, you would be the subject as your argument on Global Warming is driven by enthusiasm without knowledge. You misquoted Shakespeare in what is obviously a fool's attempt to appear important and knowledgable but followed it up by a hurried google of enough random and inapplicable quotes to remove any doubt about your ego driven nature. You dont want people to believe in Global Warming, you want them to believe in you.
Quote:
You told us you know more about him than I do.
This is an interesting statement. Do you feel threatened in everything you do ? Perhaps you can show me where I said that, or did you just imagine it because everyone hates you ? Did you imagine Global Warming too ?
0 Replies

Ionus

Reply Tue 9 Feb, 2010 05:25 pm
@parados,
Your attempt to derail the thread means you have given up on Global Warming as too hard. Perhaps this thread is more to your liking :
able2know.org/topic/32397-1

I dont hate you, parody, no more than I would hate a dog who barks loudly but runs away.

Tell us why Ice Ages occurred, and what was the highest temp and the highest amount of carbon we have had previously in the atmosphere ? I come to bury parados, not to praise Global Warming.
parados

Reply Tue 9 Feb, 2010 05:29 pm
@Ionus,
That would be an attempt at Julius Ceaser Ionus. Can you tell me the 5 plays I alluded to?

So.. what do you think about the Middle Ages Ice Age?
Ionus

Reply Tue 9 Feb, 2010 05:39 pm
@parados,
Quote:
Can you tell me the 5 plays I alluded to?
Yes.

Quote:
So.. what do you think about the Middle Ages Ice Age?
Again, your lack of knowledge is alarming. The Middle Ages experienced temps warmer than today for many decades. Perhaps that fits into your'" blame those nasty human beings" theory of natural cycles ? By what mechanism ?

The earth has had 10 times more carbon in the atmosphere in the past...what happened then ?
spendius

Reply Tue 9 Feb, 2010 05:42 pm
@Ionus,
Everybody had to wear night vision glasses??
Ionus

Reply Tue 9 Feb, 2010 05:58 pm
@spendius,
Quote:
Everybody had to wear night vision glasses??
Very Happy Yes, it was just before the end of the world. It was a tremendous setback for Global Warming Thuggees when the world ended. Of course the green movement was very young then, about 500 million years ago, but their methods of decreasing carbon have got us where we are today, where an increase of 5% is far more worrying than was the 1,000% more carbon that we had back then.
0 Replies

ican711nm

Reply Tue 9 Feb, 2010 08:21 pm
http://www.ncdc.noaa.gov/img/climate/research/global-jan-dec-error-bar-pg.gif
http://www.ncdc.noaa.gov/img/climate/research/global-jan-dec-error-bar-pg.gif
Jan-Dec Global Mean Temperature over Land & Ocean
http://www.cru.uea.ac.uk/cru/data/temperature/nhshgl.gif
Average Annual Global Temperature 1850-2009
http://www.cru.uea.ac.uk/cru/data/temperature/nhshgl.gif
Average Annual Global Temperature 1850-2009
http://epw.senate.gov/public/index.cfm?FuseAction=Minority.Blogs&ContentRecord_id=f80a6386-802a-23ad-40c8-3c63dc2d02cb
As of December 20, 2007, more than 400 prominent scientists from more than two dozen countries have voiced significant objections to major aspects of the alleged UN IPCC "consensus" on man-made global warming.

Quote:

http://epw.senate.gov/public/index.cfm?FuseAction=Minority.SenateReport#report
Chief Meteorologist Karl Spring of Duluth, Minnesota, who is certified by both the American Meteorological Society and the National Weather Association, expressed skepticism of former Vice President Al Gore's climate views. On the day Gore's Nobel Prize was announced in October 2007, Spring declared on KUWS radio, "I wouldn't pay a dime to see [An Inconvenient Truth] for many reasons." Spring then ridiculed Gore. "Politically, he's a left-wing nut. And he does things for other agendas." He added that Gore "takes facts and extrapolates them to such extremes," and he projects "a doomsday scenario." Meteorologist Kyly Underwood joined Spring in dismissing Gore's scientific opinions during on KUWS radio. "We need to be careful about where we get our information on global warming, and this debate unfortunately is driven by politicians." (LINK) & (LINK)

Quote:
Gwyn Prins of the London School of Economics and Steve Rayner of Oxford authored a report prominently featured in the UK journal Nature in October 2007 calling on the UN to "radically rethink climate policy," and they cautioned against a "bigger" version of Kyoto with even more draconian provisions. Prins and Rayner's report in the influential journal bluntly declared "... as an instrument for achieving emissions reductions [Kyoto] has failed. It has produced no demonstrable reduction in emissions or even in anticipated emissions growth." Their report was titled "Time to Ditch Kyoto" and was highlighted in an October 24, 2007 National Post article. "But as an instrument for achieving emissions reductions it has failed. It has produced no demonstrable reduction in emissions or even in anticipated emissions growth. And it pays no more than token attention to the needs of societies to adapt to existing climate change." The report also noted, "Kyoto's supporters often blame non-signatory governments, especially the United States and Australia, for its woes." The report continued, "But the Kyoto Protocol was always the wrong tool for the nature of the job." Prins and Rayner instead urged investment in new technologies and adaptation as the most promising method to deal with climate change. (LINK) Prins and Rayner also strongly dissented from the Kyoto style approaches advocated by the UN IPCC in a December 7, 2007 article in the Wall Street Journal. “This week in Bali, Indonesia, [UN] delegates are considering climate policy after the Kyoto Protocol expires in 2012. We will witness a well-known human response to failure. Delegates will insist on doing more of what is not working: in this case more stringent emissions-reduction targets, and timetables involving more countries. A bigger and ‘better’ Kyoto will be a bigger and worse failure,” they wrote. (LINK) Earlier in 2007, Prins and Rayner warned of creating ‘bizarre distortions in public policy” by downplaying adaptation to climate change. “Similarly, non-climate factors are by far the most important drivers of increased risk to tropical disease. For instance, one study found that without taking into account climate change, the global population at risk from malaria would increase by 100% by 2080, whereas the effect of climate change would increase the risk of malaria by at most 7%. Yet tropical disease risk is repeatedly invoked by climate-mitigation advocates as a key reason to curb emissions. In a world where political attention is limited, such distortions reinforce the current neglect of adaptation,” they wrote in February 2007 in the journal Nature. (LINK)

ican711nm

Reply Thu 11 Feb, 2010 03:45 pm
@ican711nm,
LATEST GLOBAL WARMING GOSPEL

The cold weather and heavy non-liquid precipitation this winter in the northern hemisphere, are due to the fact that prior global warming heated up surface water causing it to evaporate at a greater rate. Consequently, all that increase of H2O in the atmosphere shielded the globe enough from the sun's irradiance to cause the globe to become unusually colder, and all that extra H2O in the atmosphere precipitated in enormous amounts in non-liquid form.

HUZZAH! HUZZAH! ... HUZZAH!
Ionus

Reply Fri 12 Feb, 2010 03:11 am
@ican711nm,
It is a self correcting system, ican but we knew that didnt we...the local TV station is saying that the unusually cold weather in the northern and southern hemispheres is due to Global Warming, but didnt skip a beat in saying that the last decade was the hottest ever...ever ?? Since when ??? It has been a lot hotter in the past. It seems that even if it gets colder it is still hotter...Mass extinctions are associated with cooling, not warming. Here is hoping the first to become extinct is the Global Warming Thuggees.
0 Replies

mysteryman

Reply Fri 12 Feb, 2010 10:22 am
Heres an interesting article.

A weather forecaster with NOAA is predicting snow in all 50 states.
How does that jibe with global warming?

http://www.usatoday.com/weather/news/2010-02-11-nationwide-snow_N.htm?csp=hf
wandeljw

Reply Fri 12 Feb, 2010 10:25 am
@mysteryman,
Freak snowstorms indicate weather volatility. Weather volatility is an indication of global warming (climate change).
rosborne979

Reply Fri 12 Feb, 2010 10:52 am
@wandeljw,
wandeljw wrote:
Freak snowstorms indicate weather volatility. Weather volatility is an indication of global warming (climate change).

This is quite correct. Although I'm still not sure how much climate change is related to human activity, or just natural cycles.

The first thing we would expect in any type of [otherwise] stable system would be turbulence as a result of the change in total energy available to the system.

ican711nm

Reply Fri 12 Feb, 2010 01:55 pm
@rosborne979,
Weather volativity is caused by global climate changes. Global climate changes are caused by nature's fluctuations.
georgeob1

Reply Fri 12 Feb, 2010 03:13 pm
@wandeljw,
wandeljw wrote:

While that is indeed an ovservable feature of some of the long range numerical simulations done based on postulated increases in atmospheric IR reflectivity, it is also an established fact that none of these simulations can be relied on any more than we can rely on a detailed weather forecast three weeks into the future. The reason, of course, is the fundamental unpredictability of the highly coupled and non linear dynamics of the atmosphere. It's called chaos by mathematicians, and it is a fundamental limitation of all such methods.

Unfortunately the AGW cultists overlook this, and many other things in advancing their cause - one which profoundly benefits the careers of its protagonists.

However, I find it amusing that, in the midst of a very cold winter, the AGW cultists have suddenly decided that "climate change" is a more appropriate term for the snake oil they so prodigiously sell.

Increasingly, the public isn't buying it.
Walter Hinteler

Reply Fri 12 Feb, 2010 03:22 pm
@georgeob1,
georgeob1 wrote:

However, I find it amusing that, in the midst of a very cold winter, the AGW cultists have suddenly decided that "climate change" is a more appropriate term for the snake oil they so prodigiously sell.

Really? That even you are so ignorant makes me a little wonder. Or not.

A simple online research or a look at your local library would show that this term is in use since years - even much longer outside the USA, e.g. it has never been called different in German. (And that's why you critics are mentioned here ... It's kind of peculiar funny, if it wasn't meant so serious by you and yours.)
rosborne979

Reply Fri 12 Feb, 2010 04:44 pm
@ican711nm,
ican711nm wrote:
Weather volativity is caused by global climate changes. Global climate changes are caused by nature's fluctuations.

That's true. But they can also be contributed to by human activities.

The question is, what relative proportion of climate change (which we already know is happening), is a result of human activity versus natural events. That's a much harder question to answer, and nobody has answered it yet (despite my having asked it several thousand posts ago).
Ionus

Reply Fri 12 Feb, 2010 04:50 pm
@Walter Hinteler,
Are you of the opinion that a hotter summer indicates Global Warming but a colder winter indicates Global Warming, all the while the average temp is getting hotter despite the effect of colder winter ????/
0 Replies

High Seas

Reply Fri 12 Feb, 2010 04:51 pm
@Walter Hinteler,
Walter Hinteler wrote:

georgeob1 wrote:

Really? That even you are so ignorant makes me a little wonder. Or not.[...].. It's kind of peculiar funny, if it wasn't meant so serious by you and yours.)

Hallo, Walter - since you know air and water turbulence, you'll also know the entire contents of this link >
http://www.grc.nasa.gov/WWW/K-12/airplane/nseqs.html
> which shows exactly how heat and cold exchanges can be symmetrical in fluids, starting with our air and waters Smile

P.S. This is a footnote, kindly study it carefully before you get into another argument:
Quote:
On this slide we show the three-dimensional unsteady form of the Navier-Stokes Equations. These equations describe how the velocity, pressure, temperature, and density of a moving fluid are related. The equations were derived independently by G.G. Stokes, in England, and M. Navier, in France, in the early 1800's. The equations are extensions of the Euler Equations and include the effects of viscosity on the flow. These equations are very complex, yet undergraduate engineering students are taught how to derive them in a process very similar to the derivation that we present on the conservation of momentum web page.

The equations are a set of coupled differential equations and could, in theory, be solved for a given flow problem by using methods from calculus. But, in practice, these equations are too difficult to solve analytically. In the past, engineers made further approximations and simplifications to the equation set until they had a group of equations that they could solve. Recently, high speed computers have been used to solve approximations to the equations using a variety of techniques like finite difference, finite volume, finite element, and spectral methods. This area of study is called Computational Fluid Dynamics or CFD.

The Navier-Stokes equations consists of a time-dependent continuity equation for conservation of mass, three time-dependent conservation of momentum equations and a time-dependent conservation of energy equation. There are four independent variables in the problem, the x, y, and z spatial coordinates of some domain, and the time t. There are six dependent variables; the pressure p, density r, and temperature T (which is contained in the energy equation through the total energy Et) and three components of the velocity vector; the u component is in the x direction, the v component is in the y direction, and the w component is in the z direction, All of the dependent variables are functions of all four independent variables. The differential equations are therefore partial differential equations and not the ordinary differential equations that you study in a beginning calculus class.
0 Replies

parados

Reply Fri 12 Feb, 2010 05:06 pm
@rosborne979,
rosborne979 wrote:

The question is, what relative proportion of climate change (which we already know is happening), is a result of human activity versus natural events. That's a much harder question to answer, and nobody has answered it yet (despite my having asked it several thousand posts ago).

That was in the IPCC report. I'm sure it has been posted here more than once in the discussion about natural vs man.