Global Warming...New Report...and it ain't happy news

okie

Reply Thu 17 Dec, 2009 08:02 pm
@H2O MAN,
H2O MAN wrote:

Ionus wrote:

Are they greenies or anti-nationalists ??

Interesting question...

They are Marxists. If anyone is in doubt, listen to the applause following the comments by Hugo Chavez blaming the world's ills on capitalism. The ghost walking around there was capitalism, according to the Chavez. Listen to the applause, folks. There should be no doubt that this is all about politics, not science. Totally and absolutely 100% politics.

okie

Reply Thu 17 Dec, 2009 09:26 pm
@okie,
I wonder if capitalism is also to blame for this, according to Chavez? But this would have nothing to do with climate or the temperature of the oceans, I am sure, so I doubt seriously those guys have things like this in their computer models?

http://www.foxnews.com/static/managed/img/Scitech/Deep_Sea_Volcano_a_monster_397x224.jpg

A robotic arm collects samples at the West Mata Volcano nearly 4,000 feet beneath the Pacific Ocean, south of Samoa. Scientists have captured on video fiery bubbles of molten lava, calling it a major geological discovery. Federal ocean scientists are presenting the video in San Francisco at a geophysics conference on Thursday, Dec. 17, 2009.

http://www.foxnews.com/scitech/2009/12/17/scientists-watch-deep-sea-volcano-time/
Walter Hinteler

Reply Fri 18 Dec, 2009 03:54 am
@okie,
okie wrote:

I wonder if capitalism is also to blame for this, according to Chavez? But this would have nothing to do with climate or the temperature of the oceans, I am sure, so I doubt seriously those guys have things like this in their computer models?

This is the first time that scientists are able to look closely at the way ocean islands and submarine volcanoes are born - certainly tangentially related to climate.
H2O MAN

Reply Fri 18 Dec, 2009 04:42 am
@Walter Hinteler,
You would be amazed just how much CO2 is being released by this type of event... maybe Obama's EPA needs to shut it down Wink

Approximately 93 percent of the planets CO2 is found in it's oceans.

Ionus

Reply Fri 18 Dec, 2009 04:45 am
@H2O MAN,
I think we are all aware now the Global Warming Thuggees only like massaged data. If Dopehagen has its way we will be paying for those vents so they had better shut them down.
H2O MAN

Reply Fri 18 Dec, 2009 05:35 am
@Ionus,
Ionus wrote:

I think we are all aware now the Global Warming Thuggees only like massaged data.

Agreed. Obama, Gore and the rest of "the Global Warming Thuggees" are embracing fiction.

1. the class of literature comprising works of imaginative narration, esp. in prose form.
2. works of this class, as novels or short stories: detective fiction.
3. something feigned, invented, or imagined; a made-up story: We've all heard the fiction of her being in delicate health.
4. the act of feigning, inventing, or imagining.
5. an imaginary thing or event, postulated for the purposes of argument or explanation.
6. Law. an allegation that a fact exists that is known not to exist, made by authority of law to bring a case within the operation of a rule of law.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Fri 18 Dec, 2009 05:42 am
@Ionus,
Ionus wrote:
If Dopehagen has its way we will be paying for those vents so they had better shut them down.

Indeed. And our children and children's children will be thankful that we finally got the idea to keep/get them alive.
H2O MAN

Reply Fri 18 Dec, 2009 05:58 am
@Walter Hinteler,
Walter Hinteler wrote:

Ionus wrote:
If Dopehagen has its way we will be paying for those vents so they had better shut them down.

Indeed. And our children and children's children will be thankful that we finally got the idea to keep/get them alive.

Indeed. Our stepping back and recognizing this hoax for what it is, is what our children and their children will be thankful for.
okie

Reply Fri 18 Dec, 2009 09:41 am
@okie,

Old Hugo probably mis-identified the ghost walking around Copenhagen, it was probably instead somebody named Karl. I wonder if Obama can straighten him out when he arrives to save the day?
Laughing Laughing
0 Replies

okie

Reply Fri 18 Dec, 2009 09:56 am
@Ionus,
Ionus wrote:

I think we are all aware now the Global Warming Thuggees only like massaged data. If Dopehagen has its way we will be paying for those vents so they had better shut them down.

Rush was talking this morning about a goodly percentage of Russian weather stations data was not used simply because of some arbitrary reason chosen. It seems that such practices are turning out to have been commonplace in regard to temperature records. I am waiting for another foot to drop in regard to other data, that being the CO2 data gathering, massaging, and recording.
0 Replies

H2O MAN

Reply Fri 18 Dec, 2009 10:06 am
We, in our present form, have walked the earth for about 120,000 years.

During that time there have been 20 sudden global warmings. In most of these sudden warmings the temperatures rose by about
18 degrees over a span of 20 years. Right now the Copenhagen Clowns are freaking out over a rise of 1.5 degrees in 100 years.

There have been about 142 mass extinctions since life began on the earth about 3.8 billion years ago.
These mass extinctions were not caused by man. They were caused by nature.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Fri 18 Dec, 2009 10:26 am
@H2O MAN,
H2O MAN wrote:

Indeed. Our stepping back and recognizing this hoax for what it is, is what our children and their children will be thankful for.

Certainly those who live in safety - who cares what others do? Everybody is his own neighbour.
Oh holy Saint Florian
Save my home
Light up someone else's.
H2O MAN

Reply Fri 18 Dec, 2009 12:53 pm
@Walter Hinteler,
Only morons buy into this man made global warming hoax.

It is a man made hoax!
0 Replies

Ionus

Reply Fri 18 Dec, 2009 04:32 pm
Has anyone seen in the data a two degree drop caused by Mt Pinatubo in the Philippines ? One relatively minor volcanic event and it has that sort of world wide effect. God help us if we have a major event but the fat in the economic system has been spent on cooling.
0 Replies

MontereyJack

Reply Fri 18 Dec, 2009 05:40 pm
re, ionus, well, no. You might, if you were looking, see a 0.73 degree C drop for a couple months, about 1.3 degree F, but not two degrees on any scale. And it didn't last long. Volcanic effects on temperature are temporary and transitory. Even the most violent eruptions only affect the weather for a year or two. And let's get our magnitudes straight, ionus. Pinatubo was not a comparatively minor eruption--it was a major one--one of the kind that only happens once or twice a century. It's not as if you see something like that every year, or even every decade. It was, for example, something like a dozen times as powerful as Mt. St. Helen's, which everyone in the States made such a big deal over. Tambora and Krakatoa in the 19th century were probably comparable, and they're about the only other ones that are--they are, in a word, rare. So, ionus, you can't suggest Pinatubo was in any sense, typical in magnitude or effect.

And even Pinatubo only affected temps for a year or two. That's because most of the emissions from volcanos are particulates or sulfate aerosols. They have a half life in the atmosphere of weeks to months, and after that they're washed out or settled out and have no further effect on temperatures.

Nor, contrary to loons like ican, do volcanos produce much carbon dioxide. It's just not what they spew. Sulphates, particulates, magma, yes; CO2, no. They are not a significant contributor to atmospheric CO2, nor to global warming.

If there were a series of massive volcanic events, certainly we might see a long volcanic winter. However it's nothing the earth has done in the last few tens of millions of years,maybe since the last major extinction event, 65 million years or so ago, and that probably had tie-ins with the projected asteroid impact that triggered things. Barring another asteroid, it doesn't look like that's somethingthe earth is getting ready to do now.
Ionus

Reply Fri 18 Dec, 2009 08:24 pm
@MontereyJack,
I should have metioned the time scale I was considering. I dont regard 100 years as important on the global climate scale. I was wrong to say it was relatively minor but I was comparing it in my mind to events like the Deccan Traps, or Siberia, or Yellowstone. Whilst Pinatubo is considered colossal, the events I was considering are not really on the scale.

Anyway, the reason I mentioned it is because it was regarded by geologists to have dropped the world temp by 2 degrees C for two years yet I cant recall ever seeing it in Global Warming numbers.

I am of the opinion that CO2 is not readily demonstrable as a greenhouse gas but the main pollutants of industry we also see in Volcanos and they produce cooling. Certainly water vapour is obviously a warming agent but some talk of replacing CO2 cars with ones that ONLY emit water vapour !!
0 Replies

MontereyJack

Reply Sat 19 Dec, 2009 11:11 am
ionus, when someone says they don't see climate scientists discussing a parrticular topic, it's usually because that person hasn't looked, not because it hasn't been examined and debated. Here, for example, is the IPCC's summary of current research on volcanoes (including Pinatubo):
http://www.ipcc.ch/ipccreports/tar/wg1/175.htm
(I had to change the 175 page number in the URL to 176 and 177 to get the succeeding pages in the section).

They make the same point I did, while a major eruption may have an effect for a year or two, maybe three, its output of aerosols and particulates drops off rapidly and its effects diminish rapidly. They don't talk about Tambora, but that was probably the largest eruption in the last thousand plus years at least. It was the probable cause of "The Year Without a Summer" in much of the world in 1816, and a cold 1817, but by 1818 things were pretty much back to normal. It had no lasting impact on climate.

To give some sort of scale, Pinatubo's effect on temp after four years was roughly half the effect of the cyclic change in the sun over its (nominally) 11 year cycle, and that solar effect is so small it's hard to pick out of the background noise of interannual weather variability. And even that small effect kept diminishing over time.

Volcanoes, in short, and their effect on climate, like all the other relevant variables, have in fact been researched and discussed. They just don't have a significat effect.

H2O MAN

Reply Sat 19 Dec, 2009 11:31 am
@MontereyJack,
MontereyJack wrote:

Volcanoes, in short, and their effect on climate, like all the other relevant variables,
have in fact been researched and discussed. They just don't have a significat effect.

Do have any proof to back up this claim?
0 Replies

MontereyJack

Reply Sat 19 Dec, 2009 11:39 am
Read the link, that's what it's there for.
H2O MAN

Reply Sat 19 Dec, 2009 12:09 pm
@MontereyJack,
The study of Volcanoes is ongoing and little is known about activity occurring underwater.
However, scientist do know that underwater volcanic activity does contribute the largest amount of CO2 to the atmosphere.
Volcanic activity has a significant effect on weather patters.