Global Warming...New Report...and it ain't happy news

okie

Reply Fri 27 Jun, 2008 10:55 am
Cycloptichorn wrote:

What about companies who artificially create their demand? For example, those who engage in non-competitive practices, or who use their money to bribe politicians in Washington to make them the only game in town (such as the lovely Halliburton)? Are they relying on the 'free market?' There is no such thing as a 'free market.' The very term posits a level playing field that simply does not exist.

Cycloptichorn

There are anti-trust laws that supposedly address what you are talking about, and laws that govern price fixing.

Nobody is stopping anyone from competing with Halliburton, cyclops. If it is so lucrative of a business, how come they don't have the competition you think they lack? And by the way, they do have competiton in many of the areas of business that they conduct. Just because you don't know about it doesn't mean it doesn't exist.
0 Replies

Cycloptichorn

Reply Fri 27 Jun, 2008 10:56 am
okie wrote:
Cycloptichorn wrote:

What about companies who artificially create their demand? For example, those who engage in non-competitive practices, or who use their money to bribe politicians in Washington to make them the only game in town (such as the lovely Halliburton)? Are they relying on the 'free market?' There is no such thing as a 'free market.' The very term posits a level playing field that simply does not exist.

Cycloptichorn

There are anti-trust laws that supposedly address what you are talking about, and laws that govern price fixing.

Nobody is stopping anyone from competing with Halliburton, cyclops. If it is so lucrative of a business, how come they don't have the competition you think they lack? And by the way, they do have competiton in many of the areas of business that they conduct. Just because you don't know about it doesn't mean it doesn't exist.

Um, do the words 'no-bid contract' mean anything to you? Someone IS denying them competition, and I think it's pretty easy to figure out that it is the people who used to run the company and now sit in the Executive branch.

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies

okie

Reply Fri 27 Jun, 2008 11:00 am
On the subject of ice, this story that Arctic ice may all melt this summer.

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,372542,00.html

Two observations, one being that Rush said today his climatological source says there is more Arctic ice now than there was last year, so the likelihood that the ice will melt is very low, considering it didn't last year, and my second observation which I have not heard anyone wonder about, if the ice is all disappearing, where are the catastrophic sea level rises that we have been hearing about for years, from Al Gore and all the other doomsdayers? How come we aren't already seeing catastrophic flooding along low lying ocean front areas everywhere around the world?
0 Replies

okie

Reply Fri 27 Jun, 2008 11:04 am
Cycloptichorn wrote:
okie wrote:
Cycloptichorn wrote:

Cycloptichorn

Um, do the words 'no-bid contract' mean anything to you? Someone IS denying them competition, and I think it's pretty easy to figure out that it is the people who used to run the company and now sit in the Executive branch.

Cycloptichorn

Um, no bid contracts are for a purpose, look it up, and this administration is not the first to give no bid contracts to many companies, including Halliburton. Clinton and many other presidents have done the same thing, as it is standard procedure for jobs that the government needs doing. Time constraints and companies that are very good at what they do, with unique and valuable expertise, not due to non competition but because of excellence of service and capability, are just a couple reasons for no bid contracts.

Instead of knee jerk talking points, cyclops, study these issues just a little and it would be enlightening.
0 Replies

parados

Reply Fri 27 Jun, 2008 11:08 am
okie,

A little bit of science for you. The arctic ice floats so when it melts the sea doesn't rise. It is the melting of ice on Greenland and Antarctica that will cause the sea level rise.

Yes, the colder winter created more ice in the Arctic this year but scientists were surprised by how fast it is melting. If Rush is your science source then no wonder you are so uninformed.
0 Replies

Cycloptichorn

Reply Fri 27 Jun, 2008 11:08 am
okie wrote:
On the subject of ice, this story that Arctic ice may all melt this summer.

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,372542,00.html

Two observations, one being that Rush said today his climatological source says there is more Arctic ice now than there was last year, so the likelihood that the ice will melt is very low, considering it didn't last year, and my second observation which I have not heard anyone wonder about, if the ice is all disappearing, where are the catastrophic sea level rises that we have been hearing about for years, from Al Gore and all the other doomsdayers? How come we aren't already seeing catastrophic flooding along low lying ocean front areas everywhere around the world?

How often must you show your lack of understanding of the situation, Okie?

Arctic ice completely melting is a real problem, but the catastrophic problem is when ANTARCTIC ice starts to melt off fast. The sea levels don't rise when arctic ice melts, b/c the stuff is already floating on the water. Antarctica is on a rocky continent, and most of the ice is trapped. If that ice were to break off and slide into the ocean - it doesn't even really have to melt much to do this - it would rise the level of the seas all over the world, with disastrous effect.

As for Rush's 'climatology guy,' I think that he is about, yeah, 100% wrong. I would need to see some links to scholarly articles showing that all these news reports are in fact incorrect, or something at least... I do see a lot of right-wingers throwing this around online, unsourced, as an assertion. There doesn't seem to be much attention paid to the fact that this year's ice floes are extremely thin compared to the norm.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/earth/main.jhtml?xml=/earth/2008/06/27/eaice127.xml

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies

okie

Reply Fri 27 Jun, 2008 11:18 am
parados wrote:
okie,

A little bit of science for you. The arctic ice floats so when it melts the sea doesn't rise. It is the melting of ice on Greenland and Antarctica that will cause the sea level rise.

Yes, the colder winter created more ice in the Arctic this year but scientists were surprised by how fast it is melting. If Rush is your science source then no wonder you are so uninformed.

I had the impression the doomsdayers included Arctic Ice melting as part of the reason, Parados. It seems to me we should start seeing something more than the very tiny effects if any of the predictions were to be taken seriously.

Rush communicates with professional people that he trusts, so it isn't altogether what he has concluded on the subject.

By the way, one article said it may have been ice free 20,000 years ago. What caused it then, Prehistoric man's campfires?
0 Replies

Foxfyre

Reply Fri 27 Jun, 2008 11:28 am
Rebuttal to the article re melting Arctic ice posted by Cyclop. The ice is melting yes as it always has from time to time, but the 'doom and gloom' forcast is a number years away as is usually the case with global warming doom and gloom forecasts. The article I have linked also suggests a realistic positive side to melting Arctic ice:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/science/nature/7461707.stm
0 Replies

old europe

Reply Fri 27 Jun, 2008 11:29 am
okie wrote:
I had the impression the doomsdayers included Arctic Ice melting as part of the reason, Parados. It seems to me we should start seeing something more than the very tiny effects if any of the predictions were to be taken seriously.

Maybe your impression was wrong, then...
0 Replies

parados

Reply Fri 27 Jun, 2008 11:39 am
okie wrote:
parados wrote:
okie,

What science says vs your impression is quite different okie. Maybe you should actually look at the science.
Quote:

Rush communicates with professional people that he trusts, so it isn't altogether what he has concluded on the subject.
Another "impression" you have it seems. Look at the science vs what Rush say.
Quote:

By the way, one article said it may have been ice free 20,000 years ago. What caused it then, Prehistoric man's campfires?
It may have been? You don't even have evidence it was and already you are blaming CO2? For someone that derides any science on the other side you like to throw out crap that you can't support.
0 Replies

Cycloptichorn

Reply Fri 27 Jun, 2008 11:42 am
Foxfyre wrote:
Rebuttal to the article re melting Arctic ice posted by Cyclop. The ice is melting yes as it always has from time to time, but the 'doom and gloom' forcast is a number years away as is usually the case with global warming doom and gloom forecasts. The article I have linked also suggests a realistic positive side to melting Arctic ice:

Are you kidding me? A realistic positive side to major environmental changes? The impact on our society will be tremendous if these things happen, Fox, and the fact that shipping lanes will be opened up isn't worth much when our traditional food growing areas are hard hit.

It's sort of like claiming that, in a coal mine, when the canary is dying, it's a good thing; look at all that room the cage took up and how often we had to feed the damn thing.... the height of idiocy to not think there will be any side effects to this.

Whether it is man-made or not, it's still going to be a serious problem for our entire species. You would be smart to acknowledge this.

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies

hamburger

Reply Fri 27 Jun, 2008 12:25 pm
the airlines are slowing down and are saving a bundle - it may keep them from going under :

(you want to save some money too ? pls see below)

Quote:
Airlines slow down flights to save on fuel

JetBlue adds 2 minutes to each flight, saves $13.6 million a year in jet fuel

read complete article :
AIRLINES SLOWING DOWN

judging by the speed of drivers both on the main highways and in the city , i'd say that gasoline must still be pretty cheap .
i know you have to be at work on time ... but have you ever thought of leaving just a few minutes earlier ?
if you think you have a right to speed , go ahead but don't complain about high gas prices .

i'm sure some people don't like to hear that ... too bad if you can't see that you are cutting off your own nose .
of course , the saudis hope that you will drive even faster ... so go ahead , make the saudis happy .
http://web.mit.edu/arab/www/Pictures/Old_ASO/man2.jpg

Quote:
Slow Down a Little, Save a Lot of Gas

by Peter Valdes-Dapena
Tuesday, April 1, 2008

Speeding on the highway adds a surprising amount to your fuel costs.

With gas prices rising, gas-saving advice abounds: Drive more gently, don't carry extra stuff in your trunk, combine your shopping trips.

This is all sound advice but there's one driving tip that will probably save you more gas than all the others, especially if you spend a lot of time on the highway: Slow down.

In a typical family sedan, every 10 miles per hour you drive over 60 is like the price of gasoline going up about 54 cents a gallon. That figure will be even higher for less fuel-efficient vehicles that go fewer miles on a gallon to start with.

The reason is as clear as the air around you.

When cruising on the highway, your car will be in its highest gear with the engine humming along at relatively low rpm's. All your car needs to do is maintain its speed by overcoming the combined friction of its own moving parts, the tires on the road surface and, most of all, the air flowing around, over and under it.

Pushing air around actually takes up about 40% of a car's energy at highway speeds, according to Roger Clark, a fuel economy engineer for General Motors.

Traveling faster makes the job even harder. More air builds up in front of the vehicle, and the low pressure "hole" trailing behind gets bigger, too. Together, these create an increasing suction that tends to pull back harder and harder the faster you drive. The increase is actually exponential, meaning wind resistance rises much more steeply between 70 and 80 mph than it does between 50 and 60.

Every 10 mph faster reduces fuel economy by about 4 mpg, a figure that remains fairly constant regardless of vehicle size, Clark said. (It might seem that a larger vehicle, with more aerodynamic drag, would see more of an impact. But larger vehicles also tend to have larger, more powerful engines that can more easily cope with the added load.)

That's where that 54 cents a gallon estimate comes from. If a car gets 28 mpg at 65 mph, driving it at 75 would drop that to 24 mpg. Fuel costs over 100 miles, for example - estimated at $3.25 a gallon - would increase by $1.93, or the cost of an additional 0.6 gallons of gas. That would be like paying 54 cents a gallon more for each of the 3.6 gallons used at 65 mph. That per-gallon price difference remains constant over any distance.

Engineers at Consumer Reports magazine tested this theory by driving a Toyota Camry sedan and a Mercury Mountaineer SUV at various set cruising speeds on a stretch of flat highway. Driving the Camry at 75 mph instead of 65 dropped fuel economy from 35 mpg to 30. For the Mountaineer, fuel economy dropped from 21 to 18.

Over the course of a 400-mile road trip, the Camry driver would spend about $6.19 more on gas at the higher speed and Mountaineer driver would spend an extra $10.32.

Driving even slower, say 55 mph, could save slightly more gas. In fact, the old national 55 mph speed limit, instituted in 1974, was a response to the period's energy crisis.

read complete article :
GASOLINE STILL CHEAP
0 Replies

ican711nm

Reply Fri 27 Jun, 2008 01:22 pm
The primary causes of the inflated price of oil are:
1. The declining value of the dollar;
2. The rising international demand for oil;
3. The US ten-year old federal prohibitions against domestic oil drilling;
4. The US ten-year failure to develop an adequate substituite for oil.
0 Replies

okie

Reply Fri 27 Jun, 2008 02:28 pm
ican711nm wrote:

Pretty good list, ican. The primary reason for No. 4 is the fact that gasoline is still a pretty good buy, in comparison to other options, otherwise consumers would have changed their buying habits more than they have so far before now.
0 Replies

Foxfyre

Reply Fri 27 Jun, 2008 02:45 pm
Cycloptichorn wrote:
Foxfyre wrote:

Are you kidding me? A realistic positive side to major environmental changes? The impact on our society will be tremendous if these things happen, Fox, and the fact that shipping lanes will be opened up isn't worth much when our traditional food growing areas are hard hit.

It's sort of like claiming that, in a coal mine, when the canary is dying, it's a good thing; look at all that room the cage took up and how often we had to feed the damn thing.... the height of idiocy to not think there will be any side effects to this.

Whether it is man-made or not, it's still going to be a serious problem for our entire species. You would be smart to acknowledge this.

Cycloptichorn

I have repeatedly stated that our emphasis should be focused on raising the standard of living and reducing the misery index based on known conditions instead of expending precious resources, energy, and passing counterproductive legislation geared to stopping AGW which probably isn't happening and, even if it is, will not be stopped by any reasonable means before the predicted doomsday.

Any way you slice it, warm periods are better than cold periods for humankind and most species on Earth. And the preponderance of credible scientific opinion is that any current warming trend is relatively slight and not likely to significantly increase.

Trying to alter normal planetary climate cycles is surely an exercise in futility and could even be dangerous for the health and welfare of humankind.

Certainly sensational alarmism based on bogus or flawed science should not be encouraged in any form.
0 Replies

parados

Reply Fri 27 Jun, 2008 03:04 pm
ican711nm wrote:

The US prohibited drilling anywhere in the US?

I call Bull ****.

Over 20,000 domestic wells completed in first half 2006

Yep, definitely Bull **** from you ican.
0 Replies

okie

Reply Fri 27 Jun, 2008 04:06 pm
Here are some numbers, Parados:

"The nation's undiscovered oil resources total about 139 Bbbls (billion barrels)," says the report. "Of that total, the MMS estimates that 86 Bbbls are offshore under the OCS, comprising 62 percent of the nation's resources. State waters and nonfederal onshore resources are the second largest potential source of production (21 percent), followed by Federal onshore oil resources (17 percent)."

Yet, as long as Congress and the president retain the federal moratoria that forbid most offshore drilling, the 85.9 billion barrels of crude offshore won't be tapped.

The May BLM report explains why most onshore oil won't be tapped, either. Of the 279 million acres of federal land "with potential for oil or natural gas resources," 60 percent is off limits to leases as a matter of federal statute or administrative policy. Another 23 percent is open to leases with "restrictions." These include such things as "lands that can be leased but ground-disturbing oil and natural gas exploration and development activities are prohibited" and "lands that can be leased, but stipulations ... limit the time of the year when oil and gas exploration and drilling can take place to less than 3 months."

A final 17 percent of federal land is open to oil drilling on more or less the same environmental terms as private land."

http://www.cnsnews.com/ViewCommentary.asp?Page=/Commentary/archive/200806/COM20080604c.html
0 Replies

ican711nm

Reply Fri 27 Jun, 2008 04:17 pm
parados wrote:
ican711nm wrote:

The US prohibited drilling anywhere in the US?

I call Bull ****.

Rolling Eyes
The US did not prohibit drilling anywhere in the US!

The US ten years ago prohibited oil drilling in ANWR and in several off-shore locations.

Your shifty-context translation of what I wrote is at best foolish and at worst fraudulent. You wrote: "The US prohibited drilling anywhere in the US?"

I wrote: The US ten-year old federal prohibitions against domestic oil drilling.

I did not write: The US ten-year old federal prohibitions against domestic oil drilling anywhere in the US. In the current context of our discussion here that ought to have been obvious to you. I'm betting that it was obvious to you.
0 Replies

okie

Reply Fri 27 Jun, 2008 04:25 pm
In regard to drilling, I believe the closer the rubber comes to the road, or the greater the price crunch, the more people will demand we drill for our own oil. I believe we will see increasing numbers of Democrat politicians actually change their position on this. The closer to reality that we become, and the further from idealism, the more it will become obvious that we will need to "drill our way out of this" Laughing . We won't drill ourselves completely out of this, but if we don't drill, the economic situation will only worsen.

Hopefully, McCain will change his position on ANWR before Obama does. If he doesn't, the Republicans goose is cooked for sure.
0 Replies

ican711nm

Reply Fri 27 Jun, 2008 04:27 pm
Again, just for you, parados.

0 Replies