Global Warming...New Report...and it ain't happy news

parados

Reply Mon 16 Jun, 2008 03:57 pm
miniTAX wrote:
parados wrote:
The equator area of the globe bulges because of the centrifigul force but gravity is stronger. Even if the "wobble" causes the earth's crust to slip around, water is still a fluid and the increase in sea level in one place will be offset by decrease somewhere else unless the amount of water increases.
Not exactly the same thing but apropos centrifugal force, the Earth revolution period is slowing about 2 ms every day. If the sea is rising (either by thermosteric effect, or by melting of Greenland & Antarctica ice shelves) as stated by AGWers, then, the equator must be swelling and the slowing must be accelerating (red dotted line). But it is not accelerating, it is decelerating (green line) !

Interesting statement about how sure you are that rising sea levels MUST cause deceleration.

Can you show me your modeling for that? Can you show me how your modeling in no way resembles the modeling for climate change?
0 Replies

ican711nm

Reply Mon 16 Jun, 2008 06:31 pm
parados wrote:
miniTAX wrote:
parados wrote:
The equator area of the globe bulges because of the centrifigul force but gravity is stronger. Even if the "wobble" causes the earth's crust to slip around, water is still a fluid and the increase in sea level in one place will be offset by decrease somewhere else unless the amount of water increases.
Not exactly the same thing but apropos centrifugal force, the Earth revolution period is slowing about 2 ms every day. If the sea is rising (either by thermosteric effect, or by melting of Greenland & Antarctica ice shelves) as stated by AGWers, then, the equator must be swelling and the slowing must be accelerating (red dotted line). But it is not accelerating, it is decelerating (green line) !

Interesting statement about how sure you are that rising sea levels MUST cause deceleration.

Can you show me your modeling for that? Can you show me how your modeling in no way resembles the modeling for climate change?

The actual modeling is based on maintaining a relatively constant angular momentum for a relatively frictionless spinning object. Spread a constant mass of such an object over a greater radius, it will spin slower; spread that same mass over a lesser radius, it will spin faster.

When spinning on a rotating relatively low friction platform, one can vary ones rpm by raising and lowering ones arms. The more outstretched the arms the slower the rotation; the less outstretched the arms the faster the rotation. Absent a rotating platform one can witness the same phenomenum by watching a spinning figure skater on ice do the same thing.

So--other things constant--when the water level at the equator is increased, the earth will spin slower; when the water level at the equator is decreased, the earth will spin faster.
0 Replies

parados

Reply Mon 16 Jun, 2008 07:10 pm
Nice try ican. Now tell us how the wobble affects the angular momentum. :wink: Then you can explain how dark and light affect it too.

By the way, in case you had problems reading the graph miniTax posted, the earth is slowing down.
0 Replies

ican711nm

Reply Mon 16 Jun, 2008 08:19 pm
parados wrote:
Nice try ican. Now tell us how the wobble affects the angular momentum. :wink: Then you can explain how dark and light affect it too.

By the way, in case you had problems reading the graph miniTax posted, the earth is slowing down.

MiniTaxe's graph shows that the rate of deceleration of the earth's rate of spin is actually decreasing, when its rate of deceleration should actually be increasing if the sea level at the equator were actually increasing.

The wobble of the earth's spin axis makes both the location of the earth's equator wobble and the direction of the vector of the earth's angular momentum wobble.

The wobble of light and dark make both the depth of sea level at the equator wobble and the magnitude of the vector of the earth's angular momentum wobble.

Do you feel wobbly? :wink:
0 Replies

parados

Reply Mon 16 Jun, 2008 08:58 pm
ican711nm wrote:
parados wrote:

MiniTaxe's graph shows that the rate of deceleration of the earth's rate of spin is actually decreasing, when its rate of deceleration should actually be increasing if the sea level at the equator were actually increasing.
Yes, but your model assumed "So--other things constant" As you show us now, other things aren't constant so your model is faulty.
Quote:

The wobble of the earth's spin axis makes both the location of the earth's equator wobble and the direction of the vector of the earth's angular momentum wobble.
And you failed to include this in your modeling so your model is faulty.
Quote:

The wobble of light and dark make both the depth of sea level at the equator wobble and the magnitude of the vector of the earth's angular momentum wobble.
Really? That's nice. Can you quantify it for your model?
Quote:

Do you feel wobbly? :wink:
The only thing wobbling is your attempt to claim you have a valid model that is somehow better than the modeling done for global warming. I can point to a multitude of things you have not included in your model about how fast the earth should decelerate. Don't you think that failure to include something in the model invalidates the projection? Or is your standard really not a standard at all?
0 Replies

miniTAX

Reply Tue 17 Jun, 2008 02:42 am
parados wrote:

The influence of sea level change on earth's rate of rotation is no new modelling, see for example this google search. And the absence of global sea level rise evidenced by the earth's rotation speed has been addressed by Morner, see this paper for all relevant peer-reviewed papers : "Estimating future sea level changes from past records, Nils-Axel Morner, Global and Planetary Change, May 2003."

This kind of modelling can't be worse than modelling of oceans acidification since it's based on past observations of the earth rotation speed (eg based on tidal tables), astronomical parameters and precision timing.

You were ready to accept the "science" of ocean acidification without question, even if it's over simplistic and doesn't take into account biochemical reactions, so I'm sure you won't find it hard to accept that sea level change can be modelled through earth rotational speed. Unless, you don't accept it because you don't like the results Wink
0 Replies

parados

Reply Tue 17 Jun, 2008 06:51 am
miniTAX wrote:
parados wrote:

The influence of sea level change on earth's rate of rotation is no new modelling, see for example this google search. And the absence of global sea level rise evidenced by the earth's rotation speed has been addressed by Morner, see this paper for all relevant peer-reviewed papers : "Estimating future sea level changes from past records, Nils-Axel Morner, Global and Planetary Change, May 2003."

This kind of modelling can't be worse than modelling of oceans acidification since it's based on past observations of the earth rotation speed (eg based on tidal tables), astronomical parameters and precision timing.

You were ready to accept the "science" of ocean acidification without question, even if it's over simplistic and doesn't take into account biochemical reactions, so I'm sure you won't find it hard to accept that sea level change can be modelled through earth rotational speed. Unless, you don't accept it because you don't like the results Wink

Funny that you should mention accepting a model based on past observations, minitax (unless you don't like the results.)
0 Replies

ican711nm

Reply Tue 17 Jun, 2008 10:13 am
parados wrote:

The only thing wobbling is your attempt to claim you have a valid model that is somehow better than the modeling done for global warming. I can point to a multitude of things you have not included in your model about how fast the earth should decelerate. Don't you think that failure to include something in the model invalidates the projection? Or is your standard really not a standard at all?

I do not claim I have a perfectly valid model.
I do claim the IPCC's modeling done for global warming is not a perfectly valid model.
I do claim that the IPCC's model done for global warming is far less perfect that is my model.

In other words, I claim the IPCC's model done for global warming is worse than mine.
0 Replies

ican711nm

Reply Tue 17 Jun, 2008 10:24 am
THE DISSENTS OF THE SCIENTIFIC DISSENTERS

0 Replies

okie

Reply Wed 18 Jun, 2008 01:02 am
Satellite measured temperature of lower troposphere is virtually identical in May, 2008 to what it was in May, 1979, in fact 0.01 lower than it was 29 years ago when monitoring started. Whats up with that, Al?

http://www.junkscience.com/MSU_Temps/UAHMSUglobe.html

http://www.junkscience.com/MSU_Temps/UAHMSUglobe.csv

http://www.junkscience.com/MSU_Temps/Warming_Look.html
0 Replies

parados

Reply Wed 18 Jun, 2008 07:35 am
I guess "what's up with that" is you are using a number that is manufactured from other sources instead of the actual numbers from MSU site.

MSU numbers show May 1979 to be -.0165, not the -.017 your source uses. MSU also hasn't released May of 2008 yet.

Of course you should know about solar irradiance. You do know about that, don't you? May of 1979 had almost 1 w/m MORE of solar irradiance than May of 2008. Imagine that, if you will. Less irradiance but almost identical temperature. What's up with that, okie? Maybe you can explain it to us.
0 Replies

cjhsa

Reply Wed 18 Jun, 2008 07:51 am
The sun has been quiet lately.

I bet we continue to see global cooling.
0 Replies

miniTAX

Reply Wed 18 Jun, 2008 07:52 am
parados wrote:
I guess "what's up with that" is you are using a number that is manufactured from other sources instead of the actual numbers from MSU site.

MSU numbers show May 1979 to be -.0165, not the -.017 your source uses. MSU also hasn't released May of 2008 yet.
It has, at least one week ago : http://www.woodfortrees.org/plot/hadcrut3vgl/from:1998/plot/gistemp/from:1998/plot/uah/from:1998/plot/rss/from:1998

BTW, I'm sure you know -0.17 is -0.165 rounded to 2 decimals Wink

parados wrote:
Less irradiance but almost identical temperature. What's up with that, okie? Maybe you can explain it to us.
There is a time lag of months to years even decades (see for example Shaviv for an estimation of time constants) between a decrease in sun activity and Earth climate because of the huge buffer effect of oceans: that's why the summer solstice is in 2 days but the hottest months are not in June but July and August in the NH.
And yes, the Earth is continuously cooling, there is a very simple proxy for this: the more the cooling, the more hysterical AGWers become Wink
0 Replies

parados

Reply Wed 18 Jun, 2008 08:30 am
That's interesting minitax

http://www.woodfortrees.org/plot/rss/from:2008

The graph ends at 2008.3 which is not through May no matter how you try to adjust the graph.
0 Replies

miniTAX

Reply Wed 18 Jun, 2008 09:52 am
Parados,
Read the values with the link "raw data" at the bottom of the page.
You'll see 2008.33 which corresponds to May 2008.
Generally, the whole previous month's temperature is publish at around 4th to 10th of the following month (UAH is the first to publish, GISS is the last).
0 Replies

ican711nm

Reply Wed 18 Jun, 2008 09:57 am
THE DISSENTS OF THE SCIENTIFIC DISSENTERS

Quote:

http://epw.senate.gov/public/index.cfm?FuseAction=Minority.SenateReport#report

Swedish Geologist Dr. Wibjorn Karlen, professor emeritus of the Department of Physical Geography and Quaternary Geology at Stockholm University, critiqued the Associated Press for hyping climate fears. "Another of these hysterical views of our climate," Karlen wrote to EPW regarding the September 22, 2007 AP article predicting dire sea level rise. "Newspapers should think about the damage they are doing to many persons, particularly young kids, by spreading the exaggerated views of a human impact on climate," Karlen explained. "I have used the NASA temperature data for a study of several major areas. As far as I can see the IPCC "Global Temperature" is wrong. Temperature is fluctuating but it is still most places cooler than in the 1930s and 1940s," Karlen wrote. "The latest estimates of sea level rise are 1.31 mm/year. With this water level increase it will take about 800 years before the water level has increased by 1 m if not conditions change before that (very likely). Society will look very different at that time," he added.

Ecologist Dr. Patrick Moore, a Greenpeace founding member who left the environmental organization because he believed it had become too radical, rejected climate alarmism and lamented the efforts to silence climate skeptics. "It appears to be the policy of the [UK] Royal Society to stifle dissent and silence anyone who may have doubts about the connection between global warming and human activity. That kind or repression seems more suited to the Inquisition than to a modern, respected scientific body," Moore, the chief scientist for Greenspirit, wrote in a September 21, 2006 letter to the Royal Society accusing it of attempting to silence skeptics. "I am sure the Royal Society is aware of the difference between a hypothesis and a theory. It is clear the contention that human-induced CO2 emissions and rising CO2 levels in the global atmosphere are the cause of the present global warming trend is a hypothesis that has not yet been elevated to the level of a proven theory. Causation has not been demonstrated in any conclusive way," Moore wrote.
0 Replies

okie

Reply Wed 18 Jun, 2008 11:11 am
parados wrote:
That's interesting minitax

http://www.woodfortrees.org/plot/rss/from:2008

The graph ends at 2008.3 which is not through May no matter how you try to adjust the graph.

If I am reading the right numbers, parados, here they are for 2008:

2008 -0.046
2008.08 0.02
2008.17 0.089
2008.25 0.015
2008.33 -0.18

Which is actually another 0.01 less than Junk Science has listed.
0 Replies

okie

Reply Wed 18 Jun, 2008 11:14 am
miniTAX wrote:
There is a time lag of months to years even decades (see for example Shaviv for an estimation of time constants) between a decrease in sun activity and Earth climate because of the huge buffer effect of oceans: that's why the summer solstice is in 2 days but the hottest months are not in June but July and August in the NH.
And yes, the Earth is continuously cooling, there is a very simple proxy for this: the more the cooling, the more hysterical AGWers become Wink

Thanks for the point made, miniTAX. I have always intuitively known this, but it is nice to know the data supports it.
0 Replies

Foxfyre

Reply Wed 18 Jun, 2008 06:17 pm
So what do you guys think? More from the lunatic fringe to keep pumping nonsense to their disciples who are convinced we are all doomed? Or are they scrambling to find a new world crisis to keep the funding rolling in? (Interesting too that no reporter was willing to put his by line on this one.)

Today's Quakes Deadlier Than In Past
Study: Seismic Activity 5 Times More Energetic Than 20 Years Ago Because Of Global Warming

June 18, 2008

(AP) New research compiled by Australian scientist Dr. Tom Chalko shows that global seismic activity on Earth is now five times more energetic than it was just 20 years ago.

The research proves that destructive ability of earthquakes on Earth increases alarmingly fast and that this trend is set to continue, unless the problem of "global warming" is comprehensively and urgently addressed.

The analysis of more than 386,000 earthquakes between 1973 and 2007 recorded on the US Geological Survey database proved that the global annual energy of earthquakes on Earth began increasing very fast since 1990.

Dr. Chalko said that global seismic activity was increasing faster than any other global warming indicator on Earth and that this increase is extremely alarming.

"The most serious environmental danger we face on Earth may not be climate change, but rapidly and systematically increasing seismic, tectonic and volcanic activity," said Dr. Chalko.

"Increase in the annual energy of earthquakes is the strongest symptom yet of planetary overheating.

"NASA measurements from space confirm that Earth as a whole absorbs at least 0.85 Megawatt per square kilometer more energy from the Sun than it is able to radiate back to space. This 'thermal imbalance' means that heat generated in the planetary interior cannot escape and that the planetary interior must overheat. Increase in seismic, tectonic and volcanic activities is an unavoidable consequence of the observed thermal imbalance of the planet," said Dr. Chalko.

Dr. Chalko has urged other scientists to maximize international awareness of the rapid increase in seismic activity, pointing out that this increase is not theoretical but that it is an Observable Fact.

"Unless the problem of global warming (the problem of persistent thermal imbalance of Earth) is addressed urgently and comprehensively - the rapid increase in global seismic, volcanic and tectonic activity is certain. Consequences of inaction can only be catastrophic. There is no time for half-measures."
LINK
0 Replies

username

Reply Wed 18 Jun, 2008 11:36 pm
It's AP. Most of their stuff doesn't have a byline.
0 Replies