16. Brazil 11.2
17. Kazakhstan 9.0
18. Norway 7.7
19. Azerbaijan 7.0
20. India 5.8

Top 20 countries 1224.5 (95%)
Rest of world 68.1 (5%)
World total 1,292.6

NOTES: Proved reserves are estimated with reasonable certainty to be recoverable with present technology and prices.
Source: Oil & Gas Journal, Vol. 103, No. 47 (Dec. 19, 2005). From: U.S. Energy Information Administration. http://www.eia.doe.gov/emeu/international/petroleu.html
transferred to next link

http://www.eia.doe.gov/emeu/international/contents.html
World Crude Oil Production, 1973-2004
Million Barrels per Day

http://www.eia.doe.gov/oiaf/ieo/index.html
Future
0 Replies

username

Reply Mon 28 Apr, 2008 07:50 pm
You may find this hard to credit, but I'm as much in favor of reducing our dependence on foreign oil as anyone on this topic, but they've been drilling in the Bakken for more than twenty years now, which provides a pretty good timeline to judge results, and here's a petroleum engineer's not-overly-technical take on it. http://www.theoildrum.com/node/3868

Total production is rising because so many new wells have been going in, but yield per well is down. Overall it seems to yield good oil, but in comparatively small quantities compared with what is thought of in the oil community as a good oil field. And he thinks that the USGS figures on recoverability are pretty unlikely, and if I remember correctly it would yield only about 0.4% of the oil we get from abroad. Which ain't a whole lot.

Parenthetically, I suspect that one thing our descendants are going to be very, very pissed at us about is our wasting petroleum on one-time uses, like gasoline--you burn it up and it's gone. It's the base material for literally thousands of other, more durable uses (remember the line from "The Graduate": "One word: Plastics"), (I exclude thin plastic grocery bags from meritorious uses), and we're literally throwing it to the four winds, and they're gonna be really mad.
0 Replies

Lash

Reply Tue 29 Apr, 2008 02:52 pm
It is likely that the geologists paid high money by very desperate oil companies and families to locate said "plenty of oil" have been using all their expertise---knowing what geological events and terrains are more likely to yield oil---

I think there is likely not plenty of oil to find.

Never fear about the oil crisis. We'll be bombing for freshwater soon enough... Very Happy
0 Replies

Lash

Reply Tue 29 Apr, 2008 02:54 pm
BTW-- It is too pricey to extract oil from shale and tar.

In the short term, I started biking...
0 Replies

ican711nm

Reply Tue 29 Apr, 2008 06:35 pm
http://epw.senate.gov/public/index.cfm?FuseAction=Minority.Blogs&ContentRecord_id=f80a6386-802a-23ad-40c8-3c63dc2d02cb
As of December 20, 2007, over 400 prominent scientists--not a minority of those scientists who have published their views on global warming--from more than two dozen countries voiced significant objections to major aspects of the alleged UN IPCC "consensus" on man-made global warming.

THE DISSENTS OF THE SCIENTIFIC DISSENTERS

…………………………………………………………….
The CO2 parts per million (ppm) in the atmosphere has increased since the beginning of the industrial revolution, but the average global temperature has been fluctuating since then until 1975. From 1975 to 2005, CO2 ppm in the atmosphere increased more than 14%, while the average global temperature increased less than 0.23%. Also from 1975 to 2005 the sun's irradiance increased more than 0.07%. Since 2005, the sun's irradiance has decreased, and so has the average global temperature, even though the CO2 ppm in the atmosphere has continued to increase.
0 Replies

okie

Reply Tue 29 Apr, 2008 09:42 pm
username wrote:
You may find this hard to credit, but I'm as much in favor of reducing our dependence on foreign oil as anyone on this topic, but they've been drilling in the Bakken for more than twenty years now, which provides a pretty good timeline to judge results, and here's a petroleum engineer's not-overly-technical take on it. http://www.theoildrum.com/node/3868

Total production is rising because so many new wells have been going in, but yield per well is down. Overall it seems to yield good oil, but in comparatively small quantities compared with what is thought of in the oil community as a good oil field. And he thinks that the USGS figures on recoverability are pretty unlikely, and if I remember correctly it would yield only about 0.4% of the oil we get from abroad. Which ain't a whole lot.

Parenthetically, I suspect that one thing our descendants are going to be very, very pissed at us about is our wasting petroleum on one-time uses, like gasoline--you burn it up and it's gone. It's the base material for literally thousands of other, more durable uses (remember the line from "The Graduate": "One word: Plastics"), (I exclude thin plastic grocery bags from meritorious uses), and we're literally throwing it to the four winds, and they're gonna be really mad.

Pretty good post, username, especially the link on the Bakken Formation. I think some people are counting their chickens before they hatch on that subject.

I do have to ask the question however, what would you power all the cars, trucks, planes, ships, and trains with out here if you aren't going to use oil? If you are honest, there simply is not a better energy source right now that has been proven viable on a commercial scale, beyond a few small electric or hybrid cars that are only marginally more economical than purely gasoline powered. Oil really has fueled our standard of living, in my opinion, and I see no other alternative that could have accomplished it to the level of today. The world is enjoying a standard of living never before witnessed in the history of man.
0 Replies

miniTAX

Reply Wed 30 Apr, 2008 02:30 am
username wrote:
Parenthetically, I suspect that one thing our descendants are going to be very, very pissed at us about is our wasting petroleum on one-time uses, like gasoline--you burn it up and it's gone.

A 1975 American consumes as much fossil fuel (CO2 per capita basis) as a 2008 American, yet produced half the current wealth (in constant $ GDP per capita).
So are you blaming your parents for being "wasteful" and providing you a good, secure and confortable life that most of the energy starved humanity is deprived of ?
That's a PC reasonning which only holds water for a citizen from a rich country but doesn't make any sense to billions of people deprived of the benefits of fossil fuels and yearning for a better life with more energy.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Wed 30 Apr, 2008 05:43 am
miniTAX wrote:

A 1975 American consumes as much fossil fuel (CO2 per capita basis) as a 2008 American, yet produced half the current wealth (in constant $ GDP per capita).

Do you have a link to those data?
0 Replies

miniTAX

Reply Wed 30 Apr, 2008 07:03 am
Walter Hinteler wrote:

Do you have a link to those data?
Use this online DB, Walter
http://devdata.worldbank.org/query/default.htm
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Wed 30 Apr, 2008 07:14 am
Thanks, miniTAX.
0 Replies

Lash

Reply Wed 30 Apr, 2008 12:33 pm
I agreed with farmer at the beginning of the semester, and told the prof that I believed temps have fluctuated historically...mentioned the Ice Age but, unless he's photoshopping a lot of real estate, the changes are pretty dramatic and recent.

Kilimanjaro and several other traditionally snowcapped mountains have far less snow-- The projected break up of some significant ice shelves are happening many years sooner than expected... The deal Gore mentioned (me quoting Al Gore...takes aspirin) about the thickness of the ice related to our subs finding space to surface was interesting.

I had noticed myself (as has about everyone) the severity of hurricanes and the like due to warmer seas...

So, even if we don't buy Gore and the doom sayers--
the ice is melting, which
leaves more ocean to absorb rather than reflect sunlight (heat), which
makes the seas hotter, which
begins a cycle of hotter water, less ice...

I know this is simplistic, but an issue, don't you think?
0 Replies

Lash

Reply Wed 30 Apr, 2008 12:35 pm
Kilimanjaro: pics and blurb
0 Replies

Foxfyre

Reply Wed 30 Apr, 2008 12:54 pm
I think most of us on the AGW skeptic side are not in disagreement that the Earth has been in a warming trend since the so-called 'little ice age' and you might say it has been in a warming trend since the last full blown ice age with some pretty signficant fluctuations of global weather/temperatures etc. during that period.

Nor are we disputing the snow has melted on Kilimanjaro though a number of climate experts are on record as disputing that it is unusual for the snow to melt on Kilimanjaro from time to time.

We have recently posted some pretty strong evidence that the polar bears are not threatened as Gore would have us believe and also that the arctic ice melt is also not unprecedented or particular unusual.

The bottom line is that climate does change and we may definitely be in a hot pocket for now. We are skeptical that human activity has had a great deal to do with this on anything other than local level--urban heat from all the asphalt, concrete, and energy exhaust of course makes the temperatures much warmer over urban areas and certainly cutting down large forests, etc. will change the immediate climate of that particular area.

We also note that the quality of life for humans and creatures on Earth is usually easier and more pleasant when the Earth is at its warmest and becomes quite difficult and sparse when the Earth is at its coldest; thus we do not see the ramifications of global warming as being necessarily detrimental in the grand scheme of things.

It is a generic 'we' that I use here and I do not presume to speak for anybody other than myself and whomever might agree with this summary assessment.

I/we think it unlikely that whatever is causing any global warming at this time, humans are unlikely to have any power to significantly change that, and our energies should be focused on helping people adjust to changing climate and improving their lot in life within the climate that exists for them.
0 Replies

Lash

Reply Wed 30 Apr, 2008 01:00 pm
I agree that there's nothing to do about it.
0 Replies

username

Reply Wed 30 Apr, 2008 01:07 pm
There are 400 years of fairly well-documented human observation of the Canadian Arctic, and the Northwest Passage has been ice-choked throughout that peiod. That occasional voyages of small, Arctic-adapted boats several times made very difficult trips through it (and most of the time couldn't), does not negate the fact that it's doing something that seems markedly different now. It's apparently turning into an ice-free passage for LARGE boats (and we're talking boats that require a mile to make a turn, while the boats that got thru before were 50 to 100 footers, which could sneak thru much smaller openings, and at need could survive winters frozen in the ice, which happened to them, which tankers just would not). Sorry, but things are just not the same there.
0 Replies

username

Reply Wed 30 Apr, 2008 01:08 pm
Anf, fox, just about all of the glaciers on earth are melting at record rates, not just Kili.
0 Replies

ican711nm

Reply Wed 30 Apr, 2008 01:28 pm
http://epw.senate.gov/public/index.cfm?FuseAction=Minority.Blogs&ContentRecord_id=f80a6386-802a-23ad-40c8-3c63dc2d02cb

As of December 20, 2007, over 400 prominent scientists--not a minority of those scientists who have published their views on global warming--from more than two dozen countries voiced significant objections to major aspects of the alleged UN IPCC "consensus" on man-made global warming.

THE DISSENTS OF THE SCIENTIFIC DISSENTERS
Quote:

http://epw.senate.gov/public/index.cfm?FuseAction=Minority.SenateReport#report

Atmospheric scientist Dr. James P. Koermer, a Professor of Meteorology and the director of the Meteorological Institute at Plymouth State University dismissed man-made global warming fears. "Global warming hysteria is based to a large extent on the unproven predictions of climate models. These numerical models are based on many simplified approximations of very complicated physical processes and phenomena," Koermer wrote to EPW on December 3, 2007. "My biggest concern is their [computer models'] lack of ability to adequately handle water vapor and clouds, which are much more important as climate factors than anthropogenic contributors. Until we can realistically simulate types of clouds, their optical thicknesses, and their altitudes, which we have a difficult time doing for short-term weather forecasts, I can't have much faith in climate models," Koermer wrote. "Another major reason that I remain skeptical is based on what I know about past climate changes that occurred before man walked on earth. I am more amazed with how relatively stable climate has been over the past 15,000 or so years, versus the large changes that frequently appeared to take place prior to that time. I also can't ignore some of the recent evidence presented by some very well respected astrophysicists on solar variability. Most meteorologists including me have always been taught to treat the sun's output as a constant--now I am not so sure and I am intrigued by their preliminary findings relating to climate," he concluded.

…………………………………………………………….
The CO2 parts per million (ppm) in the atmosphere has increased since the beginning of the industrial revolution, but the average global temperature has been fluctuating since then until 1975. From 1975 to 2005, CO2 ppm in the atmosphere increased more than 14%, while the average global temperature increased less than 0.23%. Also from 1975 to 2005 the sun's irradiance increased more than 0.07%. Since 2005, the sun's irradiance has decreased, and so has the average global temperature, even though the CO2 ppm in the atmosphere has continued to increase.
0 Replies

Lash

Reply Wed 30 Apr, 2008 02:28 pm
So, peanut gallery: Does the melting have the potential to affect the jet stream?
0 Replies

Foxfyre

Reply Wed 30 Apr, 2008 04:31 pm
username wrote:
Anf, fox, just about all of the glaciers on earth are melting at record rates, not just Kili.

Even assuming that you are correct, "record" is relative as all verifiable 'records' we are privy to have occurred in the last nanosecond of global history.
0 Replies

Foxfyre

Reply Wed 30 Apr, 2008 04:38 pm
Lash wrote:
So, peanut gallery: Does the melting have the potential to affect the jet stream?

As the nuttiest of the peanuts, I don't have a clue. But here is a sort of interesting discussion that takes absolutely no position on that whatsoever:

Excerpt
Quote:
Held, the NOAA scientist, said temperature records on Earth go back more than 100 years, and tree rings and ocean cores can help researchers estimate climate even further back in time. But satellite measurements didn't start until the late 1970s. That makes it harder to differentiate natural fluctuations in the jet streams from human-induced changes.

The ancient Greeks and Romans built aqueducts in parts of North Africa that today are nothing but desert, Wallace said. So it's possible jet streams were shifting long before people started pumping out massive quantities of greenhouse gases.

"At this point, it's possible what we're seeing is a fluke. It's possible it's a real, long-term trend unrelated to global warming," he said. "It's also certainly possible it is connected to global warming."

WHOLE ARTICLE HERE
0 Replies