Global Warming...New Report...and it ain't happy news

Walter Hinteler

Reply Tue 4 Mar, 2008 01:08 pm
As a smoker, I really should agree with okie here.

But as much as they tried to help the tobacco industry, as much .... well different topic.

One of the main speakers in New York was Václav Klaus: I admit to be a bit sceptical about his relevant academic merits.
On the other hand, he's a "Prof. ing.", a "CSc", and Dr.hon.mult. as well.
He might thus have more than the $1000 which the other participatants got (travel expenses and hotels were paid for all by heartland, of course, as well).
0 Replies

blatham

Reply Tue 4 Mar, 2008 01:12 pm
You are working very hard to miss the point, okie.

Exxon, or other such entities in this situation, will seek out and fund ONLY scientists who hold ideas agreeable to Exxon's interests (though we note that, as the piece says, some of the contributors aren't scientists).

Consider a lawyer who has to try and convince a jury that his client is a 'nice guy'. He will seek out and put on the stand ONLY those people who testify in a manner agreeable to his client's interests. They may be honest people, but because they are selected in the manner they are selected, and for that purpose, the judge or jury would be rather foolish to accept their accounts as 'truth'. Particularly if:
1) a much larger group of people taken at random testify to the opposite
1) the lawyer's small group is being paid by the lawyer
0 Replies

okie

Reply Tue 4 Mar, 2008 01:48 pm
blatham wrote:
You are working very hard to miss the point, okie.

You are working just as hard to miss my point.

Quote:
Exxon, or other such entities in this situation, will seek out and fund ONLY scientists who hold ideas agreeable to Exxon's interests (though we note that, as the piece says, some of the contributors aren't scientists).

Many pro global warmers are just as non-scientist, blatham. And economists and folks from other disciplines are appropriately there at the conference to provide insight into the effects of stringent environmental laws upon the economy, just one example. Also, you admit the scientists may have already formed an unbiased opinion prior to Exxon seeking them out, so whats your beef, blatham?

Quote:
Consider a lawyer who has to try and convince a jury that his client is a 'nice guy'. He will seek out and put on the stand ONLY those people who testify in a manner agreeable to his client's interests. They may be honest people, but because they are selected in the manner they are selected, and for that purpose, the judge or jury would be rather foolish to accept their accounts as 'truth'. Particularly if:
1) a much larger group of people taken at random testify to the opposite
1) the lawyer's small group is being paid by the lawyer

The prosecution will provide evidence and experts just as biased, blatham. For example, you act as though the U.N. or the IPCC is an unbiased entity and it is not. It is a political body, not a scientific body to begin with. The judge should not throw out the evidence of the defense because it runs counter to the other side, but instead he should weigh the evidence, and fairly look at the evidence from both sides. That is what is being put forth here.

Nobody is claiming the conference in New York is the final answer, but it does present evidence that deserves consideration. You are making a mistake to dismiss many scientists here simply because you don't like their conclusion.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Tue 4 Mar, 2008 01:50 pm
okie wrote:

Nobody is claiming the conference in New York is the final answer, but it does present evidence that deserves consideration. You are making a mistake to dismiss many scientists here simply because you don't like their conclusion.

Indeed, the scientic world was shaken (and woken) up by that conference like by an earthquake.
0 Replies

ican711nm

Reply Tue 4 Mar, 2008 08:20 pm
parados wrote:
ican711nm wrote:
parados wrote:
Writing "fallacious" in big blue letters doesn't change anything ican. Your argument is still the same.

YES, MY ARGUMENT IS THE SAME VALID ARGUMENT.

I love your claim that it is "fallacious" for me to point you should use the global figures instead of the US figures if you are talking about global irradiance. It is quite funny for you to make such a claim.

FALLACIOUS! THE SUN'S IRRADIATION INTENSITY IS INDEPENDENT OF WHICH PART OF THE GLOBE IS EXAMINED FOR TEMPERATURE TRENDS. I'M SURPRISED THAT YOU DID NOT DETERMINE FOR YOURSELF THAT I DID NOT USE THE US TEMPERATURE TREND TO DETERMINE THE GLOBAL TEMPERATURE TREND.

If the sun's irradiation is independent of the part of the globe then explain why the readings from NASA do NOT correlate with your source? :wink:

NASA disagrees with my source!

Quote:

NATURALLY MY FIRST SOURCE FOR THE GLOBAL TEMPERATURE TREND WAS:

image deleted fro clarity.
Trend in global average Temperature 1880 to 2007-- error corrected
Interesting since there is no way to accurately read that graph and claim the increase in temperature over the time frame you listed was only .5C.

My previous post was about a different time period than was the post prior to that! I was illustrating that the time periods are consistent enough to show that humans have little to do with the amount of CO2 in the atmosphere and global heating.

Quote:

MY SECOND SOURCE WAS:
ftp://ftp.ncdc.noaa.gov/pub/data/anomalies/annual.land_and_ocean.90S.90N.df_1901-2000mean.dat
1880 thru 2007 Yearly Mean Measurements Atmospheric CO2
That's interesting since your second source doesn't result in the .5C you claimed either.

My previous post was about a different time period than was the post prior to that! I was illustrating that the time periods are consistent enough to show that humans have little to do with the amount of CO2 in the atmosphere and global heating.

Quote:

1900 -0.0281

1902 -0.1735
1903 -0.2929
1904 -0.3284
1905 -0.2159
1906 -0.1798
1907 -0.3467
1908 -0.3768
1909 -0.3808 +287.06°K

2005 +0.6046 + 287.06°K
2006 0.5394
2007 0.5484

So you used 2 sources but your math can not possibly result from what either source actually says?

Sure it can! Sure it did!

Is your math really that bad or is it your reading skill?

It's long past time for you to start to question your math and your reading skill rather than mine!
0 Replies

parados

Reply Wed 5 Mar, 2008 08:26 am
Quote:
F = fraction of atmospheric CO2 caused by humans = 0.05

H = human caused TnotS = F x TnotS
H = 0.05 x 0.4271 °K = 0.02136 °K
H = 0.02136 °K

% Temperature increase that is Human caused = TiHc = H / Ti = 100% x 0.02136 °K / 0.6365 °K = 3.36%
TiHc = 3.36%
A MINOR EFFECT!

Major error in your math.. (We will ignore your silly unsupported assumptions for now.)

F as presented includes ALL the CO2 in the atmosphere

If .05 of F is caused by humans then you can't multiply F by the % increase if you are trying to figure out the % caused by humans. To do so leaves out 95% of human caused warming based on your assumptions.

The only real thing we can do with your numbers is
Ti = .6365
Tnots = .4271 K

So we know that .4271 of warming can NOT be associated with solar irradiance. That is over half of the warming.

Until you present evidence in the form of checkable math that shows WHERE and HOW the human CO2 contributes to only .05% of the warming that is left your argument is nothing but bull **** and poor math.

It appears your argument is based on an assumption that if humans cause .05 of the atmospheric CO2 then they only contribute .00168 of the warming caused by CO2. Something that is completely ludicrous since atoms released by humans act no different from atoms released from other sources.
0 Replies

McGentrix

Reply Wed 5 Mar, 2008 08:40 am
Here's the video of the founder of the Weather Channel calling for a potential lawsuit against Al Gore.

(Compliments of Boortz.)
0 Replies

parados

Reply Wed 5 Mar, 2008 08:44 am
Now some simple math for you ican..

X is a solution.
Y is a substance found in X in a certain %.

If A contributes Y to X and B contributes and subtracts Y from X lets look at a simple scenario.

There are 20 grams of Y in X
B in the course of one hour contributes 19 grams of Y and removes 19 grams of Y from solution X

Now we start having A contribute 1 gram of Y per hour.

If after 5 hours there are only 22 grams of Y in X and we know for sure that A didn't remove any of Y, where did the other 3 grams of Y go assuming we haven't been monitoring the exact amounts that B is contributing and removing.

Where did the extra grams of Y in X come from? Why? Did B remove MORE of Y than it contributed during those 5 hours? If not explain why it didn't.
0 Replies

Foxfyre

Reply Wed 5 Mar, 2008 08:47 am
McGentrix wrote:
Here's the video of the founder of the Weather Channel calling for a potential lawsuit against Al Gore.

(Compliments of Boortz.)

Yes I've seen other reports of that. He feels the Weather Channel has gone off the deep end, capitulated to the leftwing wacko fringe of environmentalism, and has lost most of its integrity and usefulness in the process. All I can say to him is Kudos.
MORE HERE
0 Replies

parados

Reply Wed 5 Mar, 2008 08:48 am
McGentrix wrote:

(Compliments of Boortz.)

He forgot to mention just about every scientist is on Al Gore's side.

Plus the idiot thinks there is no increase in temperature in spite of all the science.
0 Replies

Foxfyre

Reply Wed 5 Mar, 2008 08:57 am
parados wrote:
McGentrix wrote:

(Compliments of Boortz.)

He forgot to mention just about every scientist is on Al Gore's side.

Plus the idiot thinks there is no increase in temperature in spite of all the science.

Idiot? I think not. If you are the least bit objective, you will at least read his briefs explaining his rationale and why he holds the opinions that he holds. Toward the bottom of the list is his explanation of how there is no consensus among scientists re AGW or even global warming period. You will find them here:
http://media.kusi.clickability.com/documents/Comments+on+Global+Warming1.pdf
0 Replies

parados

Reply Wed 5 Mar, 2008 09:13 am
The idiot said there was no increase in temperature. That makes him an idiot.

Whether the temperature increase is human caused or not, to deny the increase in temperature is to be an idiot. The science is pretty real. Even those here that don't believe it is human caused are showing good evidence that some of the warming is caused by solar irradiance. Anyone with half a brain has admitted there IS warming.
0 Replies

Foxfyre

Reply Wed 5 Mar, 2008 09:18 am
parados wrote:
The idiot said there was no increase in temperature. That makes him an idiot.

Whether the temperature increase is human caused or not, to deny the increase in temperature is to be an idiot. The science is pretty real. Even those here that don't believe it is human caused are showing good evidence that some of the warming is caused by solar irradiance. Anyone with half a brain has admitted there IS warming.

Is there no room in your objective, even handed, open minded world to consider that maybe there has actually been no significant increase in global temperature on any kind of broad scale? That anomalies occurring in heavily populated areas where temperatures are generally taken are just that, anomalies? Did you read what he had to say in the link?

He makes sense. I don't know if he is right or not. But he is persuasive. He is much more persuasive that Al Gore whose theories have been shown to be so full of holes that even the courts say that they must be taught with a disclaimer in the schools.
0 Replies

parados

Reply Wed 5 Mar, 2008 09:37 am
I read it and the guy sounds like an even bigger idiot.

He uses a chart of Europe to combat Mann's chart of global temperatures. The guy is still an idiot.

Even you can't think Europe is the globe. But it seems that this idiot does. So.. Is Europe the globe Fox? Tell us you don't think it sounds "reasonable" to claim it is.
0 Replies

Foxfyre

Reply Wed 5 Mar, 2008 09:44 am
parados wrote:

He uses a chart of Europe to combat Mann's chart of global temperatures. The guy is still an idiot.

Even you can't think Europe is the globe. But it seems that this idiot does. So.. Is Europe the globe Fox? Tell us you don't think it sounds "reasonable" to claim it is.

I didn't see anywhere that he claimed Europe was the globe. I do see that he considers the temperatures in Europe to be pertinent in assessing overall global climate change. Do you not think it is reasonable to include Europe in such assessment?
0 Replies

parados

Reply Wed 5 Mar, 2008 09:47 am
Foxfyre wrote:

He makes sense. I don't know if he is right or not. But he is persuasive. He is much more persuasive that Al Gore whose theories have been shown to be so full of holes that even the courts say that they must be taught with a disclaimer in the schools.

Wow.. Perhaps you should read the court ruling before making such sweeping claims.

The points the court references are pretty minor unsupported statements and have nothing to do with warming being caused by humans.

Quote:
Despite finding nine significant errors the judge said many of the claims made by the film were fully backed up by the weight of science. global temperatures are rising and are likely to continue to rise, that climate change will cause serious damage if left unchecked, and that it is entirely possible for governments and individuals to reduce its impacts.

http://business.timesonline.co.uk/tol/business/law/corporate_law/article2633838.ece

The items objected to were about predictions or claims that specific things could be attributed to global warming. The main theory was upheld by the court. So. .the courts disagree completely with John Coleman when he claims there is no warming. Coleman is an idiot.
0 Replies

okie

Reply Wed 5 Mar, 2008 09:53 am
parados wrote:

If you want to attack idiots, start with your friend Al, Parados.
0 Replies

Foxfyre

Reply Wed 5 Mar, 2008 09:59 am
parados wrote:
Foxfyre wrote:

Wow.. Perhaps you should read the court ruling before making such sweeping claims.

The points the court references are pretty minor unsupported statements and have nothing to do with warming being caused by humans.

Quote:
Despite finding nine significant errors the judge said many of the claims made by the film were fully backed up by the weight of science. global temperatures are rising and are likely to continue to rise, that climate change will cause serious damage if left unchecked, and that it is entirely possible for governments and individuals to reduce its impacts.

http://business.timesonline.co.uk/tol/business/law/corporate_law/article2633838.ece

The items objected to were about predictions or claims that specific things could be attributed to global warming. The main theory was upheld by the court. So. .the courts disagree completely with John Coleman when he claims there is no warming. Coleman is an idiot.

If you are going to be selective about what you take from the article, then so can I. I find this part the most constructive part (emphasis mine):

Quote:
Mr Justice Burton identified nine significant errors within the former presidential candidate's documentary as he assessed whether it should be shown to school children. He agreed that Mr Gore's film was "broadly accurate" in its presentation of the causes and likely effects of climate change but said that some of the claims were wrong and had arisen in "the context of alarmism and exaggeration".

In what is a rare judicial ruling on what children can see in the class-room, Mr Justice Barton was at pains to point out that the "apocalyptic vision" presented in the film was politically partisan and not an impartial analysis of the science of climate change
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Wed 5 Mar, 2008 10:06 am
I think - and I couldn't find anything contradictionary - that Mr Justice Burton's ruling was about if the Gore's film breached the 1996 Education Act.

It didn't - according to the ruling.

Now English and Welsh teachers can present the film in any way they wish, but they are under a duty to provide balance - "for instance, by explaining to pupils that some of the views expressed in the documentary were political, asking "What do you think about it?""
0 Replies

parados

Reply Wed 5 Mar, 2008 10:15 am
Which claims were wrong Fox?

It's quite easy to find the claims the court had issue with. In many cases they are the same ones I had issue with when I saw the film because they had been raised early on about the film. None of the claims the court had issue with concern whether warming is occurring or not.
0 Replies