Global Warming...New Report...and it ain't happy news

Foxfyre

Reply Mon 4 Feb, 2008 02:15 pm
From the EPA (emphasis mine)

Quote:
CFLs or other fluorescent light bulbs are an extremely energy-efficient lighting option. These light bulbs are significantly more energy efficient than incandescent light bulbs because they require less energy to provide the same amount of light. The use of fluorescent light bulbs, rather than incandescent light bulbs, reduces the release of mercury and greenhouse gases from coal-burning power plants. If every home in America replaced just one incandescent light bulb with an ENERGY STAR qualified CFL, it would save enough energy to light more than 3 million homes and prevent greenhouse gas emissions equivalent to those of more than 800,000 cars annually. Also, fluorescent light bulbs are more cost effective because they last up to 10 times longer than incandescent light bulbs. EPA strongly encourages the recycling of all mercury-containing light bulbs after they burn out
http://www.epa.gov/epaoswer/hazwaste/id/univwast/lamps/faqs.htm#8

So let's see. If replacing one bulb would accomplish all that, if we replaced ALL the bulbs currently in our home with CFLs, I think that would be a total of 32 bulbs give or take one or two in my house, According to the calculations in the quoted paragraph, we would then be saving enough energy to light more than 96 million homes and reduce greenhouse gas emissions the equivalent of that produced by more than 25.6 million automobiles. That would pretty much take care of all the energy needed for virtually all the homes in the USA and an offset of emissions for around 1/3 or so of the cars.

If it would be that easy to reverse AGW and/or meet IPPC standards, why wasn't that one of the suggested mandates?

Or did whoever wrote that miss something?
0 Replies

maporsche

Reply Mon 4 Feb, 2008 02:21 pm
Foxfyre wrote:
From the EPA (emphasis mine)

Quote:
CFLs or other fluorescent light bulbs are an extremely energy-efficient lighting option. These light bulbs are significantly more energy efficient than incandescent light bulbs because they require less energy to provide the same amount of light. The use of fluorescent light bulbs, rather than incandescent light bulbs, reduces the release of mercury and greenhouse gases from coal-burning power plants. If every home in America replaced just one incandescent light bulb with an ENERGY STAR qualified CFL, it would save enough energy to light more than 3 million homes and prevent greenhouse gas emissions equivalent to those of more than 800,000 cars annually. Also, fluorescent light bulbs are more cost effective because they last up to 10 times longer than incandescent light bulbs. EPA strongly encourages the recycling of all mercury-containing light bulbs after they burn out
http://www.epa.gov/epaoswer/hazwaste/id/univwast/lamps/faqs.htm#8

So let's see. If replacing one bulb would accomplish all that, if we replaced ALL the bulbs currently in our home with CFLs, I think that would be a total of 32 bulbs give or take one or two in my house, According to the calculations in the quoted paragraph, we would then be saving enough energy to light more than 96 million homes and reduce greenhouse gas emissions the equivalent of that produced by more than 25.6 million automobiles. That would pretty much take care of all the energy needed for virtually all the homes in the USA and an offset of emissions for around 1/3 or so of the cars.

If it would be that easy to reverse AGW and/or meet IPPC standards, why wasn't that one of the suggested mandates?

Or did whoever wrote that miss something?

What a great idea Foxy.

Last Christmas I spent $200 on CFL bulbs and gave them away as presents.

And Home Depot last year gave away 1MM bulbs as part of a promotion for Earth Day (I think). I made sure to stop by there and support their efforts with a new recriprocating saw.
0 Replies

Foxfyre

Reply Mon 4 Feb, 2008 02:49 pm
Whoops, I didn't count the multiple bulbs in the bathrooms. Add I think 8 more bulbs to my total. Does fluroescent light provide accurate colors now? Used to if I used it to put on make up, I looked pretty ghastly once I got out into the sunlight and forget trying to match or coordinate colors for my hubby's ties under the fluroescent lights at Sears. But we can probably find ways around all those hurdles.

Now about the hazardous waste. How do we manage that?
0 Replies

hamburger

Reply Mon 4 Feb, 2008 02:50 pm
this is from WALMART's website on the subject :

Quote:
Save the Environment
When you change to Compact Fluorescent light bulbs, you take a step in the right direction to preserve energy resources and our environment for this generation and the next.

One Compact Fluorescent light bulb keeps half a ton of greenhouse gas (CO2) out of our air.
Wal-Mart has over 100 million customers. That means if each customer bought just one compact florescent light bulb, it would:
Keep 22 billion lbs of coal from burning at power plants
Keep 45 billion lbs of GHG from being emitted
Equate to removing 700,000 cars worth of greenhouse gases from the air
Keep 700 million incandescent light bulbs from landfills

let's see :
100 million customers at ONE bulb = 700,000 cars/greenhouse gases
100 million customers at THIRTY bulbs = 21,000,000 cars/greenhouse gases

looks impressive , but ... there are about 200 million passenger cars registered in the USA (?) a/t one source - so that's only a 10 % reduction !
anyone have better info on cars ?

article in full :
WALMART
0 Replies

miniTAX

Reply Mon 4 Feb, 2008 02:51 pm
Foxfyre wrote:
So let's see. If replacing one bulb would accomplish all that, if we replaced ALL the bulbs currently in our home with CFLs, I think that would be a total of 32 bulbs give or take one or two in my house,
The 32 CFLs of your house, give or take one or two, is enough to light a little village in Africa or Amazonia and would help prevent numerous case of child mortality due to indoor wood burning smoke. Rolling Eyes

The only end effect of using CFLs, apart from a feel good illusion, is to induce more house lighting, just like more efficient fridges have led to widespread second fridge installations.
Jevons paradox, ma'm !
0 Replies

miniTAX

Reply Mon 4 Feb, 2008 02:57 pm
hamburger wrote:
One Compact Fluorescent light bulb keeps half a ton of greenhouse gas (CO2) out of our air.
Wal-Mart has over 100 million customers. That means if each customer bought just one compact florescent light bulb, it would:
Keep 22 billion lbs of coal from burning at power plants
Keep 45 billion lbs of GHG from being emitted
Equate to removing 700,000 cars worth of greenhouse gases from the air
Keep 700 million incandescent light bulbs from landfills

Inflated numbers from soap vendors http://forum-images.hardware.fr/images/perso/airforceone.gif
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Mon 4 Feb, 2008 02:59 pm
miniTAX wrote:

The only end effect of using CFLs, apart from a feel good illusion, is to induce more house lighting, just like more efficient fridges have led to widespread second fridge installations.

That might be so in your house, miniTAX, and in parts of the USA, but we reduced our electricity bill with such.
0 Replies

miniTAX

Reply Mon 4 Feb, 2008 03:01 pm
Foxfyre wrote:
Now about the hazardous waste. How do we manage that?
What for ? Mercury out of smokestacks is evil but mercury vapor in CFLs is OK since even labelling is not required (up until the next mercury hysteria) :wink:
0 Replies

Cycloptichorn

Reply Mon 4 Feb, 2008 03:03 pm
My electricity bill is lower due to CFL use. No doubt.

Minitax, you're just a hater on anything environmentally sound, why don't you admit it?

CFLs take much more mercury out of the air from reduced coal burning then they ever could release when they break - IF they break. I've never broken one yet and truth be told, is it all that common? They last much, much longer, so they aren't replaced near as often as conventional bulbs - less handling, less chance of breakage.

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies

miniTAX

Reply Mon 4 Feb, 2008 03:04 pm
Walter Hinteler wrote:
That might be so in your house, miniTAX, and in parts of the USA, but we reduced our electricity bill with such.
So the money saved from conservation can be spent elsewhere, for example in new energy devouring gadget. QED. That's reality Walter.
That's why the CO2 emission reduction paradigm to "save the climate" hasn't work and can't work.
0 Replies

Foxfyre

Reply Mon 4 Feb, 2008 03:04 pm
miniTAX wrote:
Foxfyre wrote:
So let's see. If replacing one bulb would accomplish all that, if we replaced ALL the bulbs currently in our home with CFLs, I think that would be a total of 32 bulbs give or take one or two in my house,
The 32 CFLs of your house, give or take one or two, is enough to light a little village in Africa or Amazonia and would help prevent numerous case of child mortality due to indoor wood burning smoke. Rolling Eyes

Jevons paradox, ma'm !

Which takes me back to my desk lamp I use to supplement the too few lumens of the CFLs in the ceiling/light assembly. And the one hubby (my business partner) uses on his desk. And the one we keep in reserve between the photocopier and fax machine/printer so we can see the recessed controls when one of these goes on the fritz. Do these offset the energy savings from using the CFLs? According to the EPA and Walmart, no I'm still saving energy. But I wonder by how much?

But your observation is that if we make energy so much cheaper, human nature is simply to think we can afford more energy using stuff. I don't think that can be taken out of the equation either. As computer stuff and related technologies have gotten cheaper, most folks are just adding more of them and/or upgrading to more powerful models.

And is it as energy efficient to produce a CFL as opposed to an incandescent bulb? If not, how much does the increased energy consumption in production offset the savings in public use? If we are going to save the planet from hell on Earth due to global warming, I do think it is important to know these things.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Mon 4 Feb, 2008 03:09 pm
Too be honest: I never really thaught that I would save the planet from hell on Earth due to climate change when I bought (and we use) energy efficient articles but nearly only that such saves money.

Which is, I admit, not everyone's concern.
0 Replies

miniTAX

Reply Mon 4 Feb, 2008 03:11 pm
Foxfyre wrote:
And is it as energy efficient to produce a CFL as opposed to an incandescent bulb?
Yes it is. But if counting the energy to produce the much more complicated CFL and collecting & recycling it, not to speak of the incompatibilty with dimmers, the bleak light, the startup time (for closets or corridors, it sucks), the impossibility to stick it in fridges or ovens, CFLs suck. Or more precisely, banning incadescent bulbs sucks.
0 Replies

Foxfyre

Reply Mon 4 Feb, 2008 03:15 pm
miniTAX wrote:
Foxfyre wrote:
And is it as energy efficient to produce a CFL as opposed to an incandescent bulb?
Yes it is. But if counting the energy to produce the much more complicated CFL and collecting & recycling it, not to speak of the incompatibilty with dimmers, the bleak light, the startup time (for closets or corridors, it sucks), the impossibility to stick it in fridges or ovens, CFLs suck. Or more precisely, banning incadescent bulbs sucks.

Oh shoot. I forgot all about the closet lights and the oven light and the light over the sink and the one over the stove....though I think those might already be CFLs......and the refrigerator light. But if they won't work with our motion detectors and you can't use them in the fridge or in the oven, that is a problem.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Mon 4 Feb, 2008 03:17 pm
miniTAX wrote:
... not to speak of the incompatibilty with dimmers...

How do you call the "dimmers" which are used with lampes fluorescente compactes? They work perfectly well - and look at least similar to what is generally named dimmer.
0 Replies

Cycloptichorn

He's just throwing out every anti-environmentalist objection to them that he can think of.

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies

miniTAX

Cycloptichorn wrote:

Minitax, you're just a hater on anything environmentally sound, why don't you admit it?

CFLs take much more mercury out of the air from reduced coal burning then they ever could release when they break - IF they break. I've never broken one yet and truth be told, is it all that common? They last much, much longer, so they aren't replaced near as often as conventional bulbs - less handling, less chance of breakage.

Cycloptichorn
So if I am against a sucker trap, I'm against anything environmentally sound ? Come on CH !
I'm against the fact that the danger of mercury in CFL is not properly labelled. Maybe you know there is mercury vapour in it, but Joe Sixpack doesn't necessarily. Maybe Jim Hacker would like to salvage the electronic components for his indoor nuclear reactor prototype.
0 Replies

Cycloptichorn

Reply Mon 4 Feb, 2008 03:21 pm
miniTAX wrote:
Cycloptichorn wrote:

Cycloptichorn
So if I am against a sucker trap, I'm against anything environmentally sound ? Come on CH !
I'm against the fact that the danger of mercury in CFL is not properly labelled. Maybe you know there is mercury vapour in it, but Joe Sixpack doesn't necessarily. Maybe Jim Hacker would like to salvage the electronic components for his indoor nuclear reactor prototype.

That's darwinism at it's finest, friend.

The mercury danger coming out of coal smokestacks isn't labeled either, but I haven't seen you complaining about that. Same for the uranium.

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies

miniTAX

Reply Mon 4 Feb, 2008 03:22 pm
Walter Hinteler wrote:
miniTAX wrote:
... not to speak of the incompatibilty with dimmers...

How do you call the "dimmers" which are used with lampes fluorescente compactes? They work perfectly well - and look at least similar to what is generally named dimmer.
Dimmers (variators if you like) DON'T work on CFL. Maybe you'll find a few but most don't, just look at the wrapping. Mine tells this: "ne pas utiliser avec variateurs de lumières, commutateurs électroniques, cellules photoélectriques, minuteries et détecteur".
0 Replies

hamburger

Reply Mon 4 Feb, 2008 03:26 pm
minitax wrote :

Quote:
Jevons paradox, ma'm !

in canada , electricity was - and still is - relatively inexpensive . in ontario , electricity rates are currently TAX SUBSIDIZED because tha government fears the backlash that would result from FULL COST PRICING .
but we have seen the rates rise by about 7-8 % a year during the last few years and have been told that this trend will have to continue .
so i expect that within the next 5 years we'll be up by another 30-40% - IF we are lucky .
many people have ecome rather frugal in the consummption of eletricity - others think BIG BROTHER should pay Laughing

imo FULL COST pricing will bring electricity consumption down in a hurry - because all the shouting and screaming won't produce any electricity .

when it hits people in the pocketbook they'll start saving :wink:
hbg
0 Replies