Global Warming...New Report...and it ain't happy news

Walter Hinteler

Reply Thu 15 Nov, 2007 01:31 pm
Carbon Monitoring for Action (CARMA) is a massive database containing information on the carbon emissions of over 50,000 power plants and 4,000 power companies worldwide .... and gives some really interesting details:

http://i11.tinypic.com/7wzbxuc.jpg

Carbon Monitoring for Action (CARMA)

Quote:
CARMA is produced and financed by the Confronting Climate Change Initiative at the Center for Global Development, an independent and non-partisan think tank located in Washington, DC.

The objective of CARMA.org is to equip individuals with the information they need to forge a cleaner, low-carbon future. By providing complete information for both clean and dirty power producers, CARMA hopes to influence the opinions and decisions of consumers, investors, shareholders, managers, workers, activists, and policymakers. CARMA builds on experience with public information disclosure techniques that have proven successful in reducing traditional pollutants.
0 Replies

okie

Reply Thu 15 Nov, 2007 05:00 pm
ican711nm wrote:
okie wrote:

I have been following this argument, but not really knowing where it was going, but ican, what are your qualifications in terms of professional background to make these assertions? And given the conclusion you present, what exactly is the cause of CO2 rising, and when will it plateau out and begin to trend the other way?

Professional background = graduate degrees in engineering and business administration, more than 30 years in computer systems research and development, and more than 20 years in aviation piloting, flight instructing, chartering, and weather forecasting.

I don't know for certain the answer to your second set of questions, and I believe, neither does anyone else. For example: I don't know whether or not CO2 is actually rising or falling more or less than it has from time to time in past milennia or centuries. Past causes for the releases of CO2 into the atmosphere have been volcanoes, meterorites, earthquakes, fires and other combustions (human and lighting caused), and human and other animal exhalations.

Note: CO2 = Carbon Dioxide molecule(s); H2O = water molecule(s); O2 = Oxygen molecule(s); N2 = Nitrogen molecule(s).

From personal experience, I do know a lot about our atmosphere under various conditions.

(1) In any region of the atmosphere at any given temperature and pressure, the density of molecules whose molecular weight is greater than that of H2O, is strongly dependent on the density of H2O in that region. For example, the density of O2 is decreased by increases of H2O and is increased by decreases of H2O.

These O2 variations at various atmospheric pressures and temperatures have been repeatedly demonstrated to me by the lower performance of my aircraft engines--jet, turbine, and piston--in regions of high humidity (i.e., high H2O density), and their higher performance in regions of low humidity (i.e., low H2O density). Probably the densities of CO2 and N2 in the atmosphere are similarly affected by humidity.

(2) At a given altitude and humidity, the density of O2 is decreased when the temperature is increased, causing the performance of my aircraft engines to be reduced.

(3) At any given humidity and temperature, the density of O2 is decreased when increasing altitude, causing the performance of my aircraft engines to be reduced.

(4) Increases in any two out of three, or all three--humidity, temperature and altitude--cause the performance of my engines to be reduced greater amounts.

I conclude that the higher the humidity in a given region of the atmosphere the lower is the density of O2 molecules in that region. So I further conclude the same is true for the density of CO2 (or any of the other heavier molecules like N2) in such a region.

When the earth warms, more H2O is evaporated from surface water into various regions of the atmosphere, thereby decreasing the density of CO2 and O2 in those regions. Furthermore, the greater the humidity in a given region, the greater is the likelihood of precipitation of that H2O, and the CO2 mixed with it, back to the surface. When the density of CO2 in those regions is reduced, the effect of CO2 in those regions on the average temperature of the earth, is reduced. It appears to me that the actual amount of CO2 in the various regions of the atmosphere at any given time of year, is influenced more by the density of H2O in those regions at those times than it is by human caused combustion.

Thanks, ican, I commend you for informative and thought provoking information. I have another question for you.

We know, or at least I read that the moon's average temperature is roughly -23 C I think I read, which compares to Earth at around +16 C. So we have a swing of 39 degrees Centigrade between the average temperatures of the two bodies, Earth with its atmosphere of greenhouse qualities, and the moon with virtually none. Of course, the temperature swings are very drastic from the dark side of the moon to the light side, day and night, so the highs and lows of the moon are far higher and lower than that of the earth.

So my feeble brain says yes, as the so-called greenhouse effect increases in proportion to the makeup of the atmosphere, which is obviously due to alot more than CO2, probably more due to water vapor, the temperature swings from daytime high to nighttime lows should become less, so the highs during the day should be lower and the lows at night should be higher. This of course takes the entire globe as an average and ignores all the regional variational changes. I don't know if you agree with that, but my question is this, and maybe it has been obvious to everybody else, but based on CO2 alone, what increase in greenhouse or atmosphereic quality factor, expressed as a small fraction of a percent, is there and has this been calculated? And of course if it has been calculated, how is it meaningful if the same has not been done or can be done for water vapor, methane, and all the rest?

I realize the people with climate models crank in their variables, but I am trying to understand just how they are doing this, and trying to reduce the concept to something more simple to understand. I am posing this question at the risk of being called an idiot here, but I would anyway. I ask questions of people here that seem to know a clue about what they are talking about, and you seem to be one of those.
0 Replies

blatham

Reply Fri 16 Nov, 2007 07:40 am
Quote:
Scientists Fault Climate Exhibit Changes
Smithsonian Head Denies Politics Altered Arctic Show Message

By James V. Grimaldi and Jacqueline Trescott
Washington Post Staff Writers
Friday, November 16, 2007; Page A01

Some government scientists have complained that officials at the Smithsonian's National Museum of Natural History took steps to downplay global warming in a 2006 exhibit on the Arctic to avoid a political backlash, according to documents obtained by The Washington Post.

The museum's director, Cristián Samper, ordered last-minute changes to the exhibit's script to add "scientific uncertainty" about climate change, according to internal documents and correspondence.

Scientists at other agencies collaborating on the project expressed in e-mails their belief that Smithsonian officials acted to avoid criticism from congressional appropriators and global-warming skeptics in the Bush administration. But Samper said in an interview last week that "there was no political pressure -- not from me, not from anyone."

and further down the page...

Quote:
Samper, a candidate to become the 12th secretary of the Smithsonian following the ouster of Lawrence Small earlier this year, is scheduled to meet with the Board of Regents on Monday as they prepare to discuss another controversy: a $5 million donation from the American Petroleum Institute to fund the Natural History Museum's Ocean Initiative exhibit hall and Web site.
http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2007/11/15/AR2007111502550.html?nav=hcmodule
0 Replies

blatham

Reply Fri 16 Nov, 2007 08:07 am
Quote:
US power company linked to Bush is named in database as a top polluter
By Leonard Doyle in Washington

Published: 16 November 2007

An American power company with close financial links to President George Bush has been named as one of the world's top producers of global warming pollution.

The first-ever worldwide database of such pollution also reveals the rapid growth in global-warming emissions by power plants in China, South Africa and India. Power plants already produce 40 per cent of US greenhouse gas and 25 per cent of the world's.

But it is the enormous carbon footprint of Southern Company - among the largest financiers of Republican Party politicians - which has raised eyebrows. Southern's employees handed George Bush $217,047 to help him get elected, and they and the company have contributed an extraordinary $6.2m to Republican campaigns since 1990.
http://news.independent.co.uk/world/americas/article3166414.ece
0 Replies

okie

Reply Fri 16 Nov, 2007 10:07 am
What do you know, some logic on Arctic ice, as reported by NASA.

http://www.foxnews.com/video2/player06.html?111507/111507_sr_grapevine&Special_Report_Grapevine&Political%20Grapevine%3A%2011/15&Political%20Grapevine%3A%2011/15&Brit%20Hume&-1&Opinion&168.100&&&exp
0 Replies

blatham

Reply Fri 16 Nov, 2007 10:59 am

Quote:
Global warming over the past decade or so isn't all about coal, gasoline and other greenhouse gases, space scientists said Tuesday. Melting Arctic Ocean sea ice may have been caused by a reversal in the ocean's circulation that had been going on for about a decade, scientists from NASA and the University of Colorado said. Whether that reversal in direction was caused in large part by warmth generated by greenhouse gas is a question for another day...
"The events of the 1990s may well be a preview of how the Arctic will respond over longer periods of time in a warming world," he said

there ya go okie...I've even given you another site to visit. Pass it on to Brit.
http://antigreen.blogspot.com/
0 Replies

maporsche

Reply Fri 16 Nov, 2007 11:25 am
blatham wrote:
Quote:
Global warming over the past decade or so isn't all about coal, gasoline and other greenhouse gases, space scientists said Tuesday. Melting Arctic Ocean sea ice may have been caused by a reversal in the ocean's circulation that had been going on for about a decade, scientists from NASA and the University of Colorado said. Whether that reversal in direction was caused in large part by warmth generated by greenhouse gas is a question for another day...
"The events of the 1990s may well be a preview of how the Arctic will respond over longer periods of time in a warming world," he said

Of course it's a question for another day.....another day far, far away. It's enough that right now Fox can cast some doubt on the impact of CO2 and GW and ignore the predicted effects that GW could have on ocean circulation.

What a worthless article.
0 Replies

okie

Reply Fri 16 Nov, 2007 11:37 am
We wouldn't want to cast doubt on something that has been proven beyond a reasonable doubt now would we? Especially it can't be NASA, oh no, that is mutiny.
0 Replies

McGentrix

Reply Fri 16 Nov, 2007 11:47 am
Not Fox news, but and interesting read regardless.

Sun and global warming: A cosmic connection?
0 Replies

maporsche

Reply Fri 16 Nov, 2007 11:50 am
okie wrote:
We wouldn't want to cast doubt on something that has been proven beyond a reasonable doubt now would we? Especially it can't be NASA, oh no, that is mutiny.

Who is responsible for NASA's funding again?

Oh that's right, the Bush administration......very objective towards GW.
0 Replies

okie

Reply Fri 16 Nov, 2007 11:51 am
Who do you want to fund it, the Chicoms, or George Soros? Sheesh! It is getting weirder and weirder here on these threads.
0 Replies

maporsche

Reply Fri 16 Nov, 2007 11:59 am
okie wrote:
Who do you want to fund it, the Chicoms, or George Soros? Sheesh! It is getting weirder and weirder here on these threads.

Just saying that NASA's desire for funding casts the same doubts on it's results as a George Soros funded study on GW. I doubt you think that Soros funded study shouldn't be questioned on it's objectivity.

McGentrix's article is interesting in that it at least shows the debate going on between both sides. Your Fox piece was, like I said, worthless.
0 Replies

okie

Reply Fri 16 Nov, 2007 12:38 pm
So research funded by NASA is worthless? Or is it only when it is reported by Fox? What if I do a search and dredge up where someone else reported the NASA work, would that cure your paranoia?
0 Replies

maporsche

Reply Fri 16 Nov, 2007 12:41 pm
okie wrote:
So research funded by NASA is worthless? Or is it only when it is reported by Fox? What if I do a search and dredge up where someone else reported the NASA work, would that cure your paranoia?

Nowhere did I say it was worthless.

It just needs to be held to the same level of skepticism as you would hold any other research.

Now, Fox may have mis-represented NASAs research to serve the own needs or agenda, but without seeing the actual NASA report I would have no way to verify that is what happened here.
0 Replies

okie

Reply Fri 16 Nov, 2007 12:50 pm
by the way, in McGentrix article, this:

"When you look across much longer timescales, you also see changes only of about 0.1%. So just considering directly variations in energy coming from the Sun, this is not enough to explain the climatic changes we have seen and are seeing now."

That statement leaves me scratching my head because a quick calculation of the average temperature around the world is about 289 degrees above absolute zero, well, multiply the 0.01% by 289 yields 0.289 or about 0.3 degrees centigrade, which depending on where the argument ends up on how much global warming is occurring, that would account for roughly half of it right there. 0.01% is not a miniscule or meaningless factor when the energy of the sun is involved, so I have to wonder about scientists that dismiss it as insignificant. Half of a problem that has been ballyhooed as a problem that would be virtually the end of the human race and the earth. The whole thing is laughable. Now, throw in the effects of UV on cloud cover, it appears to me that Al Gore, the U.N., and all the other sky is falling crowd might want to investigate this a bit more.

To remind you maporsche, you said the Fox report on the research was worthless, so how can you say you never said it? You are as bad as Hillary.
0 Replies

maporsche

Reply Fri 16 Nov, 2007 12:59 pm
okie wrote:

To remind you maporsche, you said the Fox report on the research was worthless, so how can you say you never said it? You are as bad as Hillary.

Yes, the Fox REPORT on the research was worthless.

I did not say that the research ITSELF was worthless.

Furthermore, your question to me "So research funded by NASA is worthless?" implies that I somehow believe that ALL research funded by NASA is worthless, which I CERTAINLY never said (nor believe).

But, like ALL research, you should question possible motives and who's funding that research. I know you believe THAT statement Okie.
0 Replies

maporsche

Reply Fri 16 Nov, 2007 01:05 pm
okie wrote:

That statement leaves me scratching my head because a quick calculation of the average temperature around the world is about 289 degrees above absolute zero, well, multiply the 0.01% by 289 yields 0.289 or about 0.3 degrees centigrade, which depending on where the argument ends up on how much global warming is occurring, that would account for roughly half of it right there. 0.01% is not a miniscule or meaningless factor when the energy of the sun is involved, so I have to wonder about scientists that dismiss it as insignificant. Half of a problem that has been ballyhooed as a problem that would be virtually the end of the human race and the earth. The whole thing is laughable. Now, throw in the effects of UV on cloud cover, it appears to me that Al Gore, the U.N., and all the other sky is falling crowd might want to investigate this a bit more.

It's a 0.01% VARIANCE, meaning up AND down. The solar output has not been on a .01% upward trend for the last 50 years.
0 Replies

maporsche

Reply Fri 16 Nov, 2007 01:14 pm
I'll assume that this is the report that Fox news is referring to.

http://www.nasa.gov/vision/earth/lookingatearth/quikscat-20071001.html

I don't see NASA saying anything about CO2 or other greenhouse gases.
0 Replies

blatham

Reply Fri 16 Nov, 2007 01:46 pm
okie wrote:

You know, okie, given the changes in chinese society encouraged by western capitalist business interests, you could call them Chicaps and it would make just as much sense.
0 Replies

okie

Reply Fri 16 Nov, 2007 02:27 pm
maporsche wrote:
I'll assume that this is the report that Fox news is referring to.

http://www.nasa.gov/vision/earth/lookingatearth/quikscat-20071001.html

I don't see NASA saying anything about CO2 or other greenhouse gases.

So if Fox News reports the sun came up this morning, they are wrong, but if somebody else says it did, it is worthwhile. Great reasoning, maporsche.

By the way, the study was not about CO2, it was about the weather patterns and currents that help explain the melting. What causes the currents and weather patterns can be included in other studies, which should be obvious.

Brit Hume on Fox captured the essence of the study. Sorry you didn't get it. You are missing out on balanced reporting.
0 Replies