Global Warming...New Report...and it ain't happy news

Steve 41oo

Reply Tue 30 Oct, 2007 03:06 pm
you know ican for several years now i have been dying to light that fuse and send the rocket and you several miles rightwards out of here.
0 Replies

blatham

Reply Tue 30 Oct, 2007 03:23 pm
miniTAX wrote:
blatham wrote:
What I can contribute is a fair understanding of some of the most effective and commonly used propaganda methods.

Hi Blatham,
So you must be highly interested in this kind of institutionalized propaganda:
Quote:
Start with its funding. CCS comes to states promising to bring money with them to pay for their greenhouse-gas reduction development. Who foots the bill? Several foundations on the global warming panic train: the Rockefeller Brothers Fund, The (Ted) Turner Foundation, The Heinz Endowments, the Energy Foundation, and many others. For example, the state of Washington is paying only $200,000 for CCS' services -- half of what their cheap process has cost in other states.

Then CCS controls the entire policy development: the agenda, scheduling and oversight of their meetings; the CO2 reduction options that stakeholders consider; analysis (which is not an examination of cost/benefit or climate impact) of those options; the voting process; the changing and/or elimination of options; and the writing of all meeting minutes, presentations and reports.

... much more here. Hope you enjoy the reading on those "enviros toadies" (copyright Robert Kennedy, sort of). Wink

Could you please indicate where you see underlying financial interests behind this funding? Does the Rockefeller family, for example, have substantial holdings in alternate energy technologies? We'll note that as a granting foundation, they've given grant money to AEI.

The Energy foundation I'd not heard of before. It's partners are, as it happens, the same folks who are mentioned as donors at the beginning of the McNeil Newshour on PBS.

Turner, like the other two groups above, tend to support liberal causes (though clearly not exclusively, ie the AEI grants noted above).

But please look at the difference here between, one the one hand, vast corporate interests who are concerned about reductions in profits and on the other hand, charitable foundations giving money to organizations and individuals working in the community. These are not at all comparable.
0 Replies

blatham

Reply Tue 30 Oct, 2007 03:25 pm
Just noticed your post now, walter. Gad you are a quick fellow. Love ya.
0 Replies

miniTAX

Reply Tue 30 Oct, 2007 03:36 pm
blatham wrote:
OK. So it is obvious right off the top that these chaps are going nowhere else on GW than pro-business, anti-regulation. And they are going to propagandize (precisely in the mode of AEI, Heritage, and Cato...which is why they were set up initially...see Krugman's new book, Chapter 6, section "Building an Intelligensia" for details).

You got it blatham. If rightists are skeptical of AGW and leftists are believers, that means GW is a political issue, not a science issue.
Remember when the US supreme court decided that CO2 should be regulated by EPA: all republicans were against, all democrats were for. Man, you couldn't find a more partisane issue.

Anyway, feel lucky that in N America, you have (nearly) 2 sides of the debate. In Europe, we don't have that chance, for now.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Tue 30 Oct, 2007 03:40 pm
miniTAX wrote:
Anyway, feel lucky that in N America, you have (nearly) 2 sides of the debate. In Europe, we don't have that chance, for now.

We have got Halloween. And more and more people are believing that the world was created 6,000 years ago here, too. I could imagine, your ideas will get a lot more followers on medium-term as well.
0 Replies

miniTAX

Reply Tue 30 Oct, 2007 03:43 pm
blatham wrote:
But please look at the difference here between, one the one hand, vast corporate interests who are concerned about reductions in profits and on the other hand, charitable foundations giving money to organizations and individuals working in the community. These are not at all comparable.
Corporate always adapt and make money whatever the fashion du moment is. Du Pont (quotas selling), GE, AREVA (nuclear), Citibank, Goldman Sachs (hot air trading) , Google and many others have much at stake too for appearing "green".
So I think your mantra about "corporate toadies" is just at best naive, at worst red herring.
Money rules, left or right. Some are more or less hypocrite that others that's all.
0 Replies

ican711nm

Reply Tue 30 Oct, 2007 03:46 pm
Steve 41oo wrote:
you know ican for several years now i have been dying to light that fuse and send the rocket and you several miles rightwards out of here.

Been there, done that--many times! (8.523 miles)

Why do you want to light my fuse too?

Is it because you don't like my questions?

Or is it because you don't like their answers?
0 Replies

georgeob1

Reply Tue 30 Oct, 2007 03:50 pm
blatham wrote:

Why not?? The self interest of the "vast corporate interests" is obvious and open for all to see. The self interest of the activists and the various grant-making functionaries of the foundations is no less real: it is merely less obvious and less transparent. Is the greed and interest of a corporation in protecting the value of its assets necessarily of less civic merit than the prejudices of activists and grant-makers?

Ask the investors in the nuclear powerplants in Washington State, Long Island NY and Sacramento CA that were designed licensed, and in some cases fully constructed, fuelled and ready to operate when activists of various types created enough public outrage to force the demolition of the plants and the loss of many billions in private investment funds. The arguments used by the advocates to achieve these outrages have since been proved to be fallacious, and the decades of safe operation of companion plants have given us all practical confirmation of the folly of it all. No one stops to consider how many thousands of tons of CO2 have since been added to the atmosphere by the fossil fuel-fired plants that replaced them.

Government has the power to seize assets and confiscate property in the course of its various regulatory functions. Activists who seek to steer these government actions in the name of their own fixed (and often nonsensical) ideas can harm the public interest every bit as much as can the greed of corporations. Your bland assertion that corporate self interest is inherently less justifiable than that of single issue zealots is logically indefensible.
0 Replies

miniTAX

Reply Tue 30 Oct, 2007 03:52 pm
Walter Hinteler wrote:
We have got Halloween. And more and more people are believing that the world was created 6,000 years ago here, too. I could imagine, your ideas will get a lot more followers on medium-term as well.
Wait to see the Kyoto fiasco grandeur nature for your "medium term". It's much sooner than you thought Walter.
Have you seen the latest "Time to ditch Kyoto" in Nature, the temple of GW alarmism ? (I'm imagining blatham scrambling to inquire the pedigree of those herectics and who they vote for, lol )
0 Replies

ican711nm

Reply Tue 30 Oct, 2007 04:06 pm
Then there's the George Soros Society.

GEORGE SOROS in his 1995 book, page 145, [i]Soros on Soros[/i], wrote:
I do not accept the rules imposed by others. If I did, I would not be alive today. I am a law-abiding citizen, but I recognize that there are regimes that need to be opposed rather than accepted. And in periods of regime change, the normal rules don't apply. One needs to adjust one's behavior to the changing circumstances.

Bruck, in The World According to Soros, page 58, wrote:
Tividar [George Soros's father] saved his family by splitting them up, providing them with forged papers and false identities as Christians, and bribing Gentile families to take them in. George Soros took the name Sandor Kiss, and posed as the godson of a man named Baumbach, an official of Hungary's fascist regime. Baumbach was assigned to deliver deportation notices to Jews and confiscate Jewish property. [Baumbach] brought young Soros with him on his rounds.

Michael Kaufman in his biography of George Soros, page 293, [i]Soros [/i], wrote:
My goal is to become the conscience of the world.

GEORGE SOROS in his 2000 book, page 337, [i]Open Society[/i], wrote:
Usually it takes a crisis to prompt a meaningful change in direction.

GEORGE SOROS on June 10, 2004 to the Associated Press, wrote:
These are not normal times.

GEORGE SOROS in the Washington Post, page A03 of November 11, 2003, wrote:
Ousting Bush from the White House is the central focus of my life. It's a matter of life and death.

GEORGE SOROS in the 2003 edition of his book, page 15, [i]The Alchemy of Finance[/i], wrote:
My greatest fear is that the Bush Doctrine will succeed--that Bush will crush the terrorists, tame the rogue states of the axis of evil, and usher in a golden age of American supremacy. American supremacy is flawed and bound to fail in the long run.

What I am afraid of is that the pursuit of American supremacy may be successful for a while because the United States in fact employs a dominant position in the world today.

GEORGE SOROS in his 2004 book, page 159, [i]The Bubble of American Supremacy[/i], wrote:
The principles of the Declaration of Independence are not self-evident truths but arrangements necessitated by our inherently imperfect understanding.

the Soros funded Campus Progress web site, in April 2005, wrote:
An Invitation to Help Design the Constitution in 2020 … [invitation to] a Yale law School Conference on The Constitution of 2020: a progressive vision of what the Constitution ought to be.

Sam Hananel in his associated Press article, December 10, 2004, wrote:
On December 9, 2004, Eli Pariser, who headed Soros's group Moveon PAC, boasted to his members, "Now the Democratic Party is our party. We bought it, we own it."
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Tue 30 Oct, 2007 04:07 pm
Yes, and Clinton, of course.
0 Replies

blatham

Reply Tue 30 Oct, 2007 04:32 pm
Quote:
You got it blatham. If rightists are skeptical of AGW and leftists are believers, that means GW is a political issue, not a science issue.

A false and unnecessary binary opposition. It is both. There are, of course, very many conservatives (and republicans) who share my views on AGW.
0 Replies

blatham

Reply Tue 30 Oct, 2007 04:39 pm
miniTAX wrote:
blatham wrote:
Corporate always adapt and make money whatever the fashion du moment is. Du Pont (quotas selling), GE, AREVA (nuclear), Citibank, Goldman Sachs (hot air trading) , Google and many others have much at stake too for appearing "green".
So I think your mantra about "corporate toadies" is just at best naive, at worst red herring.
Money rules, left or right. Some are more or less hypocrite that others that's all.

Money, then, is at the root of everyone's motivation and there is nothing further to be discerned. Thus, when a wealthy man is found in his study with a bullet through his noggin and a gun in his hand, and when it is the case that two days earlier he took out an insurance policy providing that in the event of his death some ten million would be provided to his new wife, and if the policeman investigating finds clues that suggest murder, then it must be the case that the new wife, the policeman and the judge who will later hear this case are all equally lacking in credibility. Is that how you'd describe a further example of your thesis?
0 Replies

spendius

Reply Tue 30 Oct, 2007 06:40 pm
Getting a new wife is a quite sufficient motivation for any sensible bloke to blow his brains out once the honeymoon is over.
0 Replies

ican711nm

Reply Tue 30 Oct, 2007 07:03 pm
Walter Hinteler wrote:
Yes, and Clinton, of course.

Of course! She and he are regular members of the GSS (i.e., George Soros Society).

George Orwell in NINETEEN EIGHTY-FOUR, Part III, Chapter II, wrote:
Reality exists in the human mind, and nowhere else. Not in the individual mind, which can make mistakes, and in any case soon perishes: only in the mind of the [GSS], which is collective and immortal. Whatever the Party holds to be the truth, is truth. It is impossible to see reality except by looking through the eyes of the [GSS]. That is the fact that you have got to relearn, Winston. It needs an act of self-destruction, an effort of the will. You must humble yourself before you can become sane.
0 Replies

miniTAX

Reply Wed 31 Oct, 2007 02:53 am
blatham wrote:
Quote:

A false and unnecessary binary opposition. It is both. There are, of course, very many conservatives (and republicans) who share my views on AGW.
We do agree then Blatham.
So next time I bring up a story, please dont reply with petty investigative rhetorics like :" Writes for National Review Online. Has some pieces on "liberal bias in the press"...

Oh and how about this AGW skeptic, with impeccable liberal pedigree? A guy who managed to reconcile anti-corporate rant and AGW skepticism. Ah, the power of words :

Denis Rancourt

Quote:
I argue that by far the most destructive force on the planet is power-driven financiers and profit-driven corporations and their cartels backed by military might; and that the global warming myth is a red herring that contributes to hiding this truth. In my opinion, activists who, using any justification, feed the global warming myth have effectively been co-opted, or at best neutralized.
0 Replies

miniTAX

Reply Wed 31 Oct, 2007 03:03 am
maporsche wrote:

I hope your not suggesting that we are as addicted to French wine as we are to foreign oil.

If French wine (or any of the other things you mentioned) suddenly stopped flowing into the USA, would the economy collapse like it would if we suddenly stopped getting foreign oil. And let's not kid ourselves, if we stopped getting foreign oil, our consumer based economy WOULD collapse.

Pls minTAX listen to your brain.

"Addiction to foreign oil" is just a catch-phrase repeated ad nauseam by politicians and companies with an agenda but I don't think it's anywhere supported by facts. Americans are no more additected to oil than Japanese or Europeans. The difference is you have plenty national oil but 90% of your offshore reserves are forbidden to exploration et drilling for more than 25 years so you should be happy to burn other's oil and let yours intact.

If there is a democratic country in the world that would let its economy sink instead of tapping in its natural ressources, so the people of this country is stupid enough to deserve a second class economy.
Sorry all for the OT
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Wed 31 Oct, 2007 03:34 am
miniTAX wrote:
90% of your offshore reserves are forbidden to exploration et drilling for more than 25 years so you should be happy to burn other's oil and let yours intact.

And where exactly should those 90% be? I'd thaught that there have been millions of oil wells drilled in the US and there is nowhere and nothing to remain hidden.
0 Replies

miniTAX

Reply Wed 31 Oct, 2007 03:57 am
Walter Hinteler wrote:
And where exactly should those 90% be? I'd thaught that there have been millions of oil wells drilled in the US and there is nowhere and nothing to remain hidden.

Offshore ! West & Est coast and off the Alaskan shores.
I understand a recent democrat congres motion has prolonged the moratorium of offshore exploration & drilling decided a quarter century ago.
If you want to know more about it, EIA is a place to go otherwise we'll be way off topic.
0 Replies

Steve 41oo

Reply Wed 31 Oct, 2007 05:26 am
miniTAX wrote:
"Addiction to foreign oil" is just a catch-phrase repeated ad nauseam by politicians and companies with an agenda...
To do what? Everybody except you it seems knows America is dependent on foreign oil.
0 Replies