Global Warming...New Report...and it ain't happy news

maporsche

Reply Sat 27 Oct, 2007 09:07 am
spendius wrote:
mapie wrote-

Quote:
Are you saying that the 'intelligent designer' purposefully had the current artic landmasses closer to the equator millions of years ago so that in the 20th centuary we'd have oil that millions have died over, the earth is being polluted over, etc?

No. I said nothing like that. I was comparing beliefs derived from teleologies and wondering why one is believed and the other rejected.

Well then, I fail to see the similarities between the two beliefs.
0 Replies

blatham

Reply Sat 27 Oct, 2007 09:26 am
Quote:
I retract not one word of it.

Incidentally Bernie, as you often bring up the tobacco industry's PR campaigns, which I gather you approved of until quite recently, in such a way as to suggest that they were alone in being motivated by profit you might consider the following.

Last first. The relevance (to the GW debate) of the history of the tobacco industry relates to credibility. To protect profits, they lied to citizens/consumers on serious matters of health. They used front groups to deceive and place false information. We know now not to believe a word they say. Precisely the same set of factors are in place re GW and (mainly) the energy industries.

As to your earlier response to maporche, the science of the movement of crustal plates is well established science which is supported by a myriad of disciplines. Likewise are the disciplines related to establishing climate data over a range of locations over periods of time.

Your positing of plate movement and climate specifics of a location on that plate at some period of time as some sort of bona fide teleological proof is just silly. What might you not likewise claim constitutes a teleological proof, for goodness sakes. Your urine splashes off the urinal and a droplet lands on a particular spot on the bathroom floor so therefore a cogent case can be made for a Designer? Please.
0 Replies

spendius

Reply Sat 27 Oct, 2007 09:32 am
mappie wrote-

Quote:
Well then, I fail to see the similarities between the two beliefs.

The similarity is that they are both beliefs and thus there are psychological reasons why some people accept either or both or neither as true and those derive, however subtly, from self interest.
0 Replies

spendius

Reply Sat 27 Oct, 2007 09:55 am
I notice Bernie that you have edited out the part about what media had to gain from discouraging smoking. It was a share in a rather large pot of loot and it must have added to carbon emissions.

Isn't every talking head telling lies more or less the whole time?

I didn't say that I don't accept tectonic science. I asked what proof is there that the artcic plate was once in equatorial regions.

Quote:
Your positing of plate movement and climate specifics of a location on that plate at some period of time as some sort of bona fide teleological proof is just silly.

Well-assertions are silly and that's one. Positing is quite respectable I think. One is supposed to discuss what is posited and not just declare it silly.

Quote:
What might you not likewise claim constitutes a teleological proof, for goodness sakes.

fresco will set you straight on that. He's a Wittgenstein expert.

And I don't piss all over the bathroom floor either. You're projecting again. At the nozzle of the male urine disposal unit there is a mechanism of incalcuable complexity which imparts a twist to the jet of urine and thus enables men to direct it accurately. Females, alas, are not provided with such a system and there must be an explanation for this difference.

What would you posit Bernie?
0 Replies

blatham

Reply Sat 27 Oct, 2007 10:18 am
Quote:
I notice Bernie that you have edited out the part about what media had to gain from discouraging smoking. It was a share in a rather large pot of loot and it must have added to carbon emissions.
It is irrelevant. Get thee to a logic course.

Quote:
Isn't every talking head telling lies more or less the whole time?
This is so undiscerning as to be worse than useless.

Quote:
I didn't say that I don't accept tectonic science. I asked what proof is there that the artcic plate was once in equatorial regions.
Comparison of minerals, as the simplest example. Mineral deposits are distinct and unique and this allows mapping of zones of separation. For example, the eastward tip of Brazil and Cameroon. And in those two locations, not only will you find the same unique deposits but also the same spores (which last damn near forever) and other biological remains, and you'll find that the molecules of iron (which align to the poles while the rock solidifies) will be the same (the magnetic poles move over time, thus allowing this sort of mapping).

Quote:
Your positing of plate movement and climate specifics of a location on that plate at some period of time as some sort of bona fide teleological proof is just silly.

Quote:
Well-assertions are silly and that's one. Positing is quite respectable I think. One is supposed to discuss what is posited and not just declare it silly.

Quote:
What might you not likewise claim constitutes a teleological proof, for goodness sakes.

fresco will set you straight on that. He's a Wittgenstein expert.

And I don't piss all over the bathroom floor either. You're projecting again. At the nozzle of the male urine disposal unit there is a mechanism of incalcuable complexity which imparts a twist to the jet of urine and thus enables men to direct it accurately. Females, alas, are not provided with such a system and there must be an explanation for this difference.

sorry spendi but it is silly. Nothing would fall outside of your teleological argument. If it is, then it is designed, ipso facto. It is entirely circular and entirely useless.

Posit to answer what question?
0 Replies

spendius

Reply Sat 27 Oct, 2007 11:45 am
For the "difference".
0 Replies

blatham

Reply Sat 27 Oct, 2007 12:02 pm
I'm sorry. Please compose a clear and complete sentence expressing what it is you wish to communicate to me.
0 Replies

spendius

Reply Sat 27 Oct, 2007 12:30 pm
Quote:

And you raised the subject not me.
0 Replies

blatham

Reply Sat 27 Oct, 2007 01:05 pm
Not interested.
0 Replies

spendius

Reply Sat 27 Oct, 2007 01:21 pm
As I said Bernie- you raised the matter.

You don't seem interested in the £105 billion either. In fact you show a marked lack of interest in a number of questions.

Science is all about challenging ideas.

Imagine anti-IDers having power and just dismissing anything that doesn't suit them with a superior wave of the hand.

You were asked to prove that human activity was the cause of GW and thus show it to be more than a belief inspired by your distaste, shall we say, for business corporations. And to prove that tobacco causes lung disease on its own when not abused.
0 Replies

hamburger

Reply Sat 27 Oct, 2007 05:02 pm
AMERICA'S FRESHWATER CRISIS
-----------------------------------------
global warning is also likely a contributor to a coming freshwater crisis .

Quote:
WEST PALM BEACH, Fla. -- An epic drought in Georgia threatens the water supply for millions. Florida doesn't have nearly enough water for its expected population boom. The Great Lakes are shrinking. Upstate New York's reservoirs have dropped to record lows. And in the West, the Sierra Nevada snowpack is melting faster each year.

see link for complete article :
0 Replies

spendius

Reply Sat 27 Oct, 2007 05:09 pm
If you read Mr Nehruh's book on India you will discover the whoever controls the water calls the shots. Oil is a minor matter. A sort of little local difficulty.

Imagine Saddam wondering if the Kurds might dam the river and start charging water tariffs and him being responsible for 26 million people.
0 Replies

ican711nm

Reply Sat 27 Oct, 2007 05:48 pm
maporsche wrote:
ican711nm wrote:

Another way is for America to develop its own oil fileds (e.g., ANWR) to offset the high cost of imported oil and its consequential high cost of energy production. Individuals and company's would then be able to afford to invest much more in the development of more efficient transport and other machines.

Please explain to me how much cheaper oil would be if we drilled in ANWR?

The oil companies still SELL the oil to Americans, it's not like the OIL in ANWR is free for all Americans, it gets sold to us by the oil companies. Last time I checked the price difference in local crude oil and oil in the Middle East was about $2.

Elementary economics! The more of a product that is available for sale, the lower the price will be for that product. Increasing the number of our own oil fields that are producing oil, the more oil will be produced, and the lower will be the price of the oil produced. It's called competitive pricing.
0 Replies

spendius

Reply Sat 27 Oct, 2007 05:54 pm
We all know that mate.

It's why ladies pretend to be chaste.
0 Replies

Brand X

Reply Sat 27 Oct, 2007 05:55 pm
hamburger wrote:

Quote:
WEST PALM BEACH, Fla. -- An epic drought in Georgia threatens the water supply for millions. Florida doesn't have nearly enough water for its expected population boom. The Great Lakes are shrinking. Upstate New York's reservoirs have dropped to record lows. And in the West, the Sierra Nevada snowpack is melting faster each year.

When they speak of Georgia they mean Atlanta mostly...city planners and politicians have facilitated the overbuilding and overpopulating of that area which is more of a man made water shortage...although rainfall has been scarce. They're letting a billion gallons of water per day drain off Lake Lanier which is the main water supply to Atlanta mainly to save some stupid fresh water mussels from dying, but hey letting humans go extinct is what the enviro whakos and PITA want anyway.

Same goes for Florida as far as overdeveloping.
0 Replies

spendius

Reply Sat 27 Oct, 2007 06:02 pm
Fancy calling fresh water mussels "stupid".

You could get your speaking tour cancelled for such a disgraceful statement.
0 Replies

ican711nm

Reply Sat 27 Oct, 2007 06:18 pm
hamburger wrote:
i am not speaking of the oil refineries but the better utilization of the energy input .
i understand that currently "regular" gasoline engines "waste" appr, 60 % of the input energy . there are already more advanced engines that have a lower power loss ; i believe an example are turbo-charged engines .
there is also the use of exhaust gas to produce additional output rather than just discharging the exhaust gas .
the modern ship and airplane engines are far more efficient than those produced just twenty years ago . is there any reason to believe that the maximum point of output has already been reached ?
from what i read , more efficient energy use is an ongoing process .
hbg

Yes, more efficient energy use is an on going development process. Increasing the cost of that development process is a handicap and not an aid to that development process. Increasing the price of oil increases the cost of that development process, because it increases the cost of that which is employed by that development process.
0 Replies

maporsche

Reply Sat 27 Oct, 2007 08:20 pm
ican711nm wrote:
maporsche wrote:
ican711nm wrote:

Another way is for America to develop its own oil fileds (e.g., ANWR) to offset the high cost of imported oil and its consequential high cost of energy production. Individuals and company's would then be able to afford to invest much more in the development of more efficient transport and other machines.

Please explain to me how much cheaper oil would be if we drilled in ANWR?

The oil companies still SELL the oil to Americans, it's not like the OIL in ANWR is free for all Americans, it gets sold to us by the oil companies. Last time I checked the price difference in local crude oil and oil in the Middle East was about $2.

Elementary economics! The more of a product that is available for sale, the lower the price will be for that product. Increasing the number of our own oil fields that are producing oil, the more oil will be produced, and the lower will be the price of the oil produced. It's called competitive pricing.

Great! So how much cheaper will oil be? How much more oil will be on the market?
0 Replies

McGentrix

Reply Sat 27 Oct, 2007 08:32 pm
Brand X wrote:
hamburger wrote:

Quote:

When they speak of Georgia they mean Atlanta mostly...city planners and politicians have facilitated the overbuilding and overpopulating of that area which is more of a man made water shortage...although rainfall has been scarce. They're letting a billion gallons of water per day drain off Lake Lanier which is the main water supply to Atlanta mainly to save some stupid fresh water mussels from dying, but hey letting humans go extinct is what the enviro whakos and PITA want anyway.

Same goes for Florida as far as overdeveloping.

In New York, one resevoir was emptied because someone in the Canal system left the gates open to keep canal traffic flowing. Not a fresh water problem, but a beaurocratic one.
0 Replies

hamburger

Reply Sat 27 Oct, 2007 08:43 pm
i'm pleased to read that there really is NOT a freshwater supply problem in the united states looming .
i hope that will be communicated pronto to those who must be completely out of touch with the real situation .
hbg
0 Replies