Global Warming...New Report...and it ain't happy news

kuvasz

Reply Mon 13 Aug, 2007 06:54 am
arctic is not anarctic, they are a world apart.
0 Replies

parados

Reply Mon 13 Aug, 2007 07:13 am
Quote:
Also, will it take a bunch of bloggers to keep NASA honest? Not only does this article discuss 1934 being the warmest year in the U.S. instead of 1998 as commonly reported, but it also discusses the heat island effect which has been downplayed, but obviously is a significant factor. People are now beginning to document the erroneous conditions that cause erroneous temperature recordings at many weather stations. Yes, the internet is truly a beautiful thing in regard to some issues. Information cannot be doctored and boilerhoused without somebody figuring it out.

It seems some people can't tell the difference between the US and the world.
0 Replies

hamburger

Reply Mon 13 Aug, 2007 05:34 pm
ENERGY SHORTAGE ? DID SOMEONE SAY ENERGY SHORTAGE ? Laughing
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
last weekend north-america's largest powerboat race - the thousand island poker run - took place on lake ontario and the st. lawrence river .
500 of the biggest , baddest and fastest boats were in the area zooming across the water .
these aren't family cruisers but serious 300 to 500 hp boats !
i have to admit , it's quite a sight to see and HEAR them run under full power .
we went down to the lake a couple of times to see and hear them zoom past .
i guess each boat probably consumes more fuel during the one week stay than my car uses in a year of 5,000 to 6,000 miles of driving .
so , when i hear of the energy crunch and i'm being encouraged to walk , bike , take public transportation to conserve energy and cut pollution , i say : "WHAT ENERGY SHORTAGE ? WHERE IS THE POLLUTION PROBLEM ?
hbg(still driving an eight year old car)

and here they zoom along kingston's waterfront !
http://www.downtownkingston.ca/images/pokerrun.gif

see for beautiful pictures :
THOUSAND ISLANDS POKER RUN
0 Replies

mysteryman

Reply Mon 13 Aug, 2007 05:40 pm
Al Gore and all of the other celebs preaching about global warming would have more credibility if they would give up their large homes,private planes,boats,limo's and everything else.

As long as they continue to live that life while telling me I have to change,I will ignore them.

I will drive my pickup truck as much as I want,I will run my a/c in my house as much as I want,and I will continue to live my life MY WAY.
0 Replies

okie

Reply Mon 13 Aug, 2007 08:01 pm
You will be a global warming criminal, MM, if certain people get in power. I'm not trying to be funny. Some extremists want to criminalize your lifestyle. Believe me, we dodged a big bullet when Gore failed to dig up a few more fraudulant votes in Florida.
0 Replies

blatham

Reply Mon 13 Aug, 2007 08:34 pm
okie insisted
Quote:
I'm not trying to be funny.

Perhaps not. But how can we tell?
0 Replies

Cycloptichorn

Reply Tue 14 Aug, 2007 10:20 am
I'm generally against the burning of hydrocarbons to get around. But...

http://www.technologyreview.com/Biztech/19128/

Quote:
Making Gasoline from Bacteria
A biotech startup wants to coax fuels from engineered microbes.
By Neil Savage

The biofuel of the future could well be gasoline. That's the hope of one biotech startup that on Monday described for the first time how it is coaxing bacteria into producing hydrocarbons that could be processed into fuels like those made from petroleum.

LS9, a company based in San Carlos, CA, and founded by geneticist George Church, of Harvard Medical School, and plant biologist Chris Somerville, of Stanford University, had previously said that it was working on what it calls "renewable petroleum." But at a Society for Industrial Microbiology conference on Monday, the company began speaking more openly about what it has accomplished: it has genetically engineered various bacteria, including E. coli, to custom-produce hydrocarbon chains.

To do this, the company is employing tools from the field of synthetic biology to modify the genetic pathways that bacteria, plants, and animals use to make fatty acids, one of the main ways that organisms store energy. Fatty acids are chains of carbon and hydrogen atoms strung together in a particular arrangement, with a carboxylic acid group made of carbon, hydrogen, and oxygen attached at one end. Take away the acid, and you're left with a hydrocarbon that can be made into fuel.

"I am very impressed with what they're doing," says James Collins, codirector of the Center for Advanced Biotechnology at Boston University. He calls the company's use of synthetic biology and systems biology to engineer hydrocarbon-producing bacteria "cutting edge."

In some cases, LS9's researchers used standard recombinant DNA techniques to insert genes into the microbes. In other cases, they redesigned known genes with a computer and synthesized them. The resulting modified bacteria make and excrete hydrocarbon molecules that are the length and molecular structure the company desires.

Stephen del Cardayre, a biochemist and LS9's vice president for research and development, says the company can make hundreds of different hydrocarbon molecules. The process can yield crude oil without the contaminating sulfur that much petroleum out of the ground contains. The crude, in turn, would go to a standard refinery to be processed into automotive fuel, jet fuel, diesel fuel, or any other petroleum product that someone wanted to make.

Next year LS9 will build a pilot plant in California to test and perfect the process, and the company hopes to be selling improved biodiesel and providing synthetic biocrudes to refineries for further processing within three to five years. (See "Building Better Biofuels.")

But LS9 isn't the only company in this game. Amyris Biotechnologies, of Emeryville, CA, is also using genes from plants and animals to make microbes produce designer fuels. Neil Renninger, senior vice president of development and one of the company's cofounders, says that Amyris has also created bacteria capable of supplying renewable hydrocarbon-based fuels. The main difference between the companies, Renninger says, is that while LS9 is working on a biocrude that would be processed in a refinery, Amyris is working on directly producing fuels that would need little or no further processing.

Amyris is also working on a pilot production plant that it expects to complete by the end of next year, and it also hopes to have commercial products available within three or four years. (See "A Better Biofuel.") Both companies say they want to further engineer their bacteria to be more efficient, and they're working to optimize the overall production process. "The potential for biofuels is huge, and I think theirs [LS9's] is one possible solution," Renninger says.

Indeed, many technology approaches are needed, says Craig Venter, cofounder and CEO of Synthetic Genomics, of Rockland, MD, which is also applying biotechnology to fuel production. "We need a hundred, a thousand solutions, not just one," he says. "I know at least a dozen groups and labs trying to make biofuels from bacteria with sugar."

Venter's company is also working on engineering microbes to produce fuel. The company recently received a large investment from the oil giant BP to study the microbes that live on underground oil supplies; the idea is to see if the microbes can be engineered to provide cleaner fuel. Another project aims to tinker with the genome of palm trees--the most productive source of oil for biodiesel--to make them a less environmentally damaging crop.

LS9's current work uses sugar derived from corn kernels as the food source for the bacteria--the same source used by ethanol-producing yeast. To produce greater volumes of fuel, and to not have energy competing with food, both approaches will need to use cellulosic biomass, such as switchgrass, as the feedstock. Del Cardayre estimates that cellulosic biomass could produce about 2,000 gallons of renewable petroleum per acre.

Producing hydrocarbon fuels is more efficient than producing ethanol, del Cardayre adds, because the former packs about 30 percent more energy per gallon. And it takes less energy to produce, too. The ethanol produced by yeast needs to be distilled to remove the water, so ethanol production requires 65 percent more energy than hydrocarbon production does.

The U.S. Department of Energy has set a goal of replacing 30 percent of current petroleum use with fuels from renewable biological sources by 2030, and del Cardayre says he feels that's easily achievable.

If they can get it to work off of cellulose instead of sugar, that really will be something.

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies

hamburger

Reply Tue 14 Aug, 2007 10:51 am
just to add to my earlier OUTRAGE :
we try to GO GREEN quite a bit :
- trash separation and recycling ,
- less driving ,
- switched to energy saving bulbs ,
- cut down on heating , air-condditioning and watering
- upgraded house insulation and a few other things .

but when we see how energy is wasted WILLFULLY , we do feel some outrage !
to add injury to insult : over the weekend - when the big powerboats and trucks to haul them were being refuelled - kingston had THE LOWEST GASOLINE PRICES IN CANADA ! (they are usually in the top range)

coincidence , you say ?
not likely ! BIG OIL supports the event and what better way to make those powerboat owners happy than to reduce gasoline prices .
hbg (GRRR ! Evil or Very Mad )
0 Replies

georgeob1

Reply Tue 14 Aug, 2007 11:24 am
Would you them propose to restrict the freedom of others to do as they choose in areas involving the use of energy? On what basis would youdetermine which uses were sufficiently beneficial and which not? How would you enforce these rules? Do you think that such a structure of regulation might have a few undesirable side effects?
0 Replies

High Seas

Reply Tue 14 Aug, 2007 12:03 pm
Hamburger - I checked Canadian gas prices over time in all provinces >
http://www.ontariogasprices.com/Price_By_County.aspx?state=ON&c=can
and see no particular conspiracy (!) by oil companies extant; the same pattern persists for most past time periods.
0 Replies

High Seas

Reply Tue 14 Aug, 2007 02:38 pm
http://www.economist.com/images/ga/2007w33/GreenPlane.jpg

P.S. to Hamburger - a plane you will love! As and when it's invented, that is Smile
http://www.economist.com/daily/news/displaystory.cfm?story_id=9642282&top_story=1
0 Replies

okie

Reply Tue 14 Aug, 2007 09:21 pm
blatham wrote:
okie insisted
Quote:
I'm not trying to be funny.

Perhaps not. But how can we tell?

Easy. I'd dress up in a goofy looking red suit like yours.
0 Replies

hamburger

Reply Wed 15 Aug, 2007 08:21 am
high seas wrote :

Quote:
and see no particular conspiracy (!) by oil companies extant; the same pattern persists for most past time periods.

i did not see any conspiracy either !
today - the power boaters left town yesterday - the price of gasoline went up again from about 88 cents/liter to the more usual 98 cents/liter .
all the boats had the names of their sponsors prominently displayed - noticed shell and esso among them , nothing wrong with that imo .

again , i'm NOT saying it's a conspiracy , but i would say there is a good chance that BIG OIL wanted to help the boaters with lower fuel prices -
and i don't believe that's a conspiracy .

on yesterday's local news , they asked the "common men" on our main street , what they thought was behind the drop in gas prices . "oh , i'm sure the GOVERNMENT figured the price of gas was too high and decided to drop it !" , answered the "common men" - i assure you , i'm not making this up !

the way i see it , the government usually gets blamed for high gas prices , they might as well get credit - undeservedly -when the price goes down Laughing !
hbg
0 Replies

High Seas

Reply Wed 15 Aug, 2007 10:41 am
Sorry, Hamburger, what the French call "histoires de fous" ("crazy stories") are so prevalent on this thread that I must have misread your previous post. Here's one more, by way of apology:

Quote:
Life Imitates Monty Python

* "I think I'd better come clean with you about this. It's, um, it's not a virus, I'm afraid. You see, a virus is what we doctors call very, very small. So small, it could not possibly have made off with a whole leg. What we're looking for here is, I think--and this is no more than an educated guess, I'd like to make that clear--is some multicellular life form with stripes, huge razor-sharp teeth, about 11 foot long, and of the genus Felis horribilis: what we doctors, in fact, call a 'tiger.' "--Dr. Livingstone (Graham Chapman), "Monty Python's The Meaning of Life," 1983

* "Japanese Biker Fails to Notice Missing Leg"--headline, Reuters, Aug. 14

http://www.opinionjournal.com/best/?id=110010471&ojrss=wsj
0 Replies

hamburger

Reply Wed 15 Aug, 2007 12:21 pm
high seas :
certainly no apology is needed !

as far as "histoires de fous" ("crazy stories") are concerned , i have always found that the best ones are not made up stories , but actual happenings and sayings . Laughing

some of the things happening and things that people are saying every day , may sound like "made up" stories but really are not - perhaps that's how we can all maintain a bit of sanity in this crazy world .

i've read that some phychiatrists claim that if one is not at least a "little bit crazy" , one is really not a well-functioning human being - perhaps that's why we are busily entering all kinds of things in a2k threads - keeps us from getting too whacky and morose :wink: Exclamation
(even emoticons are available to help us express ourselves ) .
take care !
hbg
0 Replies

High Seas

Reply Thu 16 Aug, 2007 12:58 pm
Hamburger - about psychiatry I know nothing, but certainly in mathematical economics (you recall, perhaps, I'm a mathematical modeler for financial applications) it's been demontrated conclusively that the formerly widespread theory of rational expectations simply doesn't survive when tested by experiment.

Much more probable variable behind corporate and currency valuations is what Keynes called "animal spirits" - take a look at what's going on right now!

Speaking of which I'm absolutely swamped by demands to run stress tests on several of my models (especially those involving discontinuities of the type described in catastrophe theory) so won't be posting for a while; keep well.
0 Replies

hamburger

Reply Thu 16 Aug, 2007 01:30 pm
high seas :
thanks for your interesting post !
let us know about your findings sometime - if that's possible and permissable (and don't get stressed !) .
hbg
0 Replies

Cycloptichorn

Reply Sat 18 Aug, 2007 09:53 am
Arctic sea ice at lowest recorded level ever

http://abcnews.go.com/Technology/wireStory?id=3493111

Guess that's just a natural thing, cycles of life, shut your f*cking mouth, hippies. Right?

Cycloptichonr
0 Replies

okie

Reply Sat 18 Aug, 2007 01:49 pm
You might want to read the article you posted, cyclops, as there might be another story within the story, which might indicate as much or more due to weather patterns as it does global warming.

"Unusually clear sky conditions have prevailed in the Arctic in June and July, promoting more sunshine at the time when the sun is highest in the sky over the region.

The center said this led to an unusually high amount of solar energy being pumped onto the Arctic ice surface, accelerating the melting process. Fairly strong winds also brought in some warm air from the south."
0 Replies

Cycloptichorn

Reply Sat 18 Aug, 2007 03:53 pm
Yeah, you're right. Weather patterns couldn't possibly be linked to global warming at all. Why, I don't know why anyone would possibly think such a thing. Everyone knows that all factors of our environment operate completely and totally separate from one another. Stupid f*cking hippies.

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies