Global Warming...New Report...and it ain't happy news

Cycloptichorn

Reply Fri 27 Jul, 2007 09:22 am
okie wrote:
Less paperwork, less stalling, less wasted time. I have known people that have tried to get permits to build a mine and mill. This takes years. The technology to do it is readily available, but to satisfy every group, every bureaucracy that is involved, including countless town meetings, blah blah, blah. A company announcing a plan to open a mine is to lawyers what throwing red meat is to a den of lions. The biggest problem is people that really are obstructing and do not want mines, period, so they use the permit process as one tool to obstruct, and some of these people work in government. You have a myriad of problems, including bureaucracies that may compete with each other over the jurisdiction even before the process begins. Before it is over, many lawsuits may be filed. Thick books could be written about this, concerning even just single projects. If the project is ever built, then it is forgotten and the band of lawyers and obstructionists go onto their next victim somewhere else to play out the next few years of similar excruciating events. It is the lawyers that are benefiting the most.

It is bad enough to just try to drill one oil well, let alone build something more substantial.

I don't disagree that the lawyers will siphon the blood off of anything they can. But I don't think that people who live in a town, who don't want a mine built close to them, should be ignored. It is their town after all, and if there are significant concerns about the mine affecting the quality of life, those concerns need to be addressed before we just go digging a hole.

I would note that companies do build new factories, railroads, highways, and mines here from time to time - so people are getting work done even though they have to jump through the environmental hoops. Naturally, my solution to this would be to have a more streamlined process of environmental review, but that involves nation-wide standards administered by an EPA which is more powerful then the current one, so I doubt you'd be on board for such a thing.

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies

okie

Reply Fri 27 Jul, 2007 10:32 am
Actually, I would disagree somewhat. Speaking of people, it is their town in one sense, but not really, as this country should honor individual property rights, and if I own a piece of property, I should be able to do with it whatever I wish to do with it as long as it fulfills the laws and zoning. A town has no right to obstruct me based on their feelings, or that they don't want something there. A town has to show that something violates a law, but often something meets the regulations, but groups will file suit based on frivilous grounds just because they don't like you. That should not be allowed.
0 Replies

Cycloptichorn

Reply Fri 27 Jul, 2007 10:36 am
okie wrote:
Actually, I would disagree somewhat. Speaking of people, it is their town in one sense, but not really, as this country should honor individual property rights, and if I own a piece of property, I should be able to do with it whatever I wish to do with it as long as it fulfills the laws and zoning. A town has no right to obstruct me based on their feelings, or that they don't want something there. A town has to show that something violates a law, but often something meets the regulations, but groups will file suit based on frivilous grounds just because they don't like you. That should not be allowed.

But, that's called 'zoning.' The vast majority of the time, when people want to build a large installation or mine or whatever, the land they want to build it on is not originally zoned for such things. The companies in question have to apply for a change in the zoning of the land, and that's where they hit the roadblocks from citizens who don't want to see a factory go up in their town, unless it is going to be a clean one.

If it wasn't for the fact that the things you mention spew waste into the atmosphere, and not just on to your land, you wouldn't see the resistance that you see. But the building of these industrial complexes affects not only the land they are on, but the air and water of the entire region. Gotta keep that stuff in mind when building, and yes, that makes it much more expensive. Tough titty.

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Fri 27 Jul, 2007 10:37 am
Well, okie, what you wrote above sounds .... well, I wouldn't like to live in a place/town/county/country where laws are disregarded voluntarily by authorities.
0 Replies

mysteryman

Reply Fri 27 Jul, 2007 10:42 am
Cycloptichorn wrote:
okie wrote:

But, that's called 'zoning.' The vast majority of the time, when people want to build a large installation or mine or whatever, the land they want to build it on is not originally zoned for such things. The companies in question have to apply for a change in the zoning of the land, and that's where they hit the roadblocks from citizens who don't want to see a factory go up in their town, unless it is going to be a clean one.

If it wasn't for the fact that the things you mention spew waste into the atmosphere, and not just on to your land, you wouldn't see the resistance that you see. But the building of these industrial complexes affects not only the land they are on, but the air and water of the entire region. Gotta keep that stuff in mind when building, and yes, that makes it much more expensive. Tough titty.

Cycloptichorn

But its not just things like mies that get blocked.
My GF and I bought some property to build a new house on.
The county has told us we are not allowed to build on it,even though its zoned for residential use.

Their excuse is that it qualifies as a "wetland" because a small part of it floods when it rains.

That small part is on the other side of the property.
0 Replies

Cycloptichorn

Reply Fri 27 Jul, 2007 10:43 am
mysteryman wrote:
Cycloptichorn wrote:
okie wrote:

Cycloptichorn

The county has told us we are not allowed to build on it,even though its zoned for residential use.

Their excuse is that it qualifies as a "wetland" because a small part of it floods when it rains.

I think you could probably successfully challenge that in court.

Did you check with the city to make sure it's okay to build on before you bought the land?

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies

mysteryman

Reply Fri 27 Jul, 2007 10:46 am
Cycloptichorn wrote:
mysteryman wrote:
Cycloptichorn wrote:
okie wrote:

Cycloptichorn

I think you could probably successfully challenge that in court.

Did you check with the city to make sure it's okay to build on before you bought the land?

Cycloptichorn

Yes we did,and it is zoned residential.
Its a 5 acre plot of land,and the part that floods is on a very small part of land.
I have treid to challenge it,and they claim that it meets the federal definition of a "wetland",and therefore nothing can be built on it.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

mysteryman wrote:

Just appeal against their decission. (Though I don't understand it: either it's wetland or in a residental zone; that should be clear for the most stupid bureaucrat - he even could see it black on white or how the plan might be printed.)
0 Replies

okie

Cycloptichorn wrote:
okie wrote:

Cycloptichorn

Mines and mills are not placed in towns 99% of the time. In the old days, some towns grew up around mines, but they came with and after the mines. I am referring to mines located miles from nowhere, perhaps in the National Forest or on BLM land, and all the regulations have been met, but people oppose the mine just because they don't want it there and don't like mines. Often the people opposing it don't live even close to it, or even in the same state.
0 Replies

Cycloptichorn

Reply Fri 27 Jul, 2007 10:48 am
okie wrote:
Cycloptichorn wrote:
okie wrote:

Cycloptichorn

Mines and mills are not placed in towns 99% of the time. In the old days, some towns grew up around mines, but they came with and after the mines. I am referring to mines located miles from nowhere, perhaps in the National Forest or on BLM land, and all the regulations have been met, but people oppose the mine just because they don't want it there and don't like mines. Often the people opposing it don't live even close to it, or even in the same state.

I have no doubt that there are plenty of environmental hard-liners out there who are obstructionist on this issue... but I don't really see a problem with that. If we have a high bar to reach in order to build industry in America, this equals a net gain in environmental cleanliness, which is more important to me then having a tire factory in my town.

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies

okie

Reply Fri 27 Jul, 2007 10:51 am
Its a net gain for China or Saudi Arabia or somewhere else, cyclops. You love to criticize Chinese junk, just one example, but one of the reasons some industries are leaving this country is obstructionism.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Fri 27 Jul, 2007 10:52 am
Well, so try to get Chinese or Saudi Arabian or somewhere else's law introduced to the USA, okie.
0 Replies

Cycloptichorn

Reply Fri 27 Jul, 2007 10:55 am
okie wrote:
Its a net gain for China or Saudi Arabia or somewhere else, cyclops. You love to criticize Chinese junk, just one example, but one of the reasons some industries are leaving this country is obstructionism.

Obstructionism, or rising environmental standards amongst the populace of the nation?

If other countries are rushing to ruin their environment, I don't refer to that as a 'net gain' for them.

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies

georgeob1

Reply Fri 27 Jul, 2007 12:50 pm
I believe that our environmental laws in general do far more good than bad. However they are inevitably managed by bureaucrats whose concepts of time are usually very different from that of those seeking a permit. Moreover the laws unintentionally permit a good deal of mischief by intervenors whose opposition to a proposed construction plan is often based on unrelated motives, but for whom the environmental permitting process is a useful weapon.

Wetlands are a hot issue among environmental agencies and I have encountered them misusing the law as a bludgeon to force property owners to buy and set aside from development "compensatory wetland creation" as a precondition for approving an otherwise innocuous construction project. The law doesn't permit them to force you to do this, but they just continue finding faults in the proposal until the applicant "gets the message" and invests in some set-aside for them.

There is a clear conflict here between the rights and interests of the property owner and those of the public. Very hard to make any general statements about limits to this that aren't foolish in some applications. In recent years our appellate courts have moved to protect the property rights of the owners and have tightened the rules under which regulators (and zoning commissions) can be found to, in effect, be "taking" the property from the owner and therefore required to compensate him at fair value.

I believe the biggest problem we face in this area has to do with petroleum refineries, electrical power plants and transmission lines. There is a benefit to the general public in having enough of this infrastructure, but no one wants it in his/her neighborhood. As a result our plant capacity is overloaded and often unable to meet demand at peak periods.

Perhaps the worst example of this occurred in the early 1990s when at least three nuclear power plants, all nearing completion, (Shoreham in Long Island, Rancho Seco in Northern California, and WPPS #2 in Washington State) were stopped and dismantled as a result of the legal action of environmental intervenors motivated perhaps by the hysteria surrounding nuclear power. Plants of a proven design that cost upwards of 12 billion dollars in total and with a generating capacity of 3,700 MWE were abandoned largely at the action of NIMBYs. It was this that killed nuclear plant construction in this country. The message was clear - it is not possible to even estimate the cost and risk associated with the licensing process until the plant has been constructed and is licensed to operate. Under these conditions capital simply cannot be obtained for plant construction.
0 Replies

okie

Reply Fri 27 Jul, 2007 05:28 pm
Walter Hinteler wrote:
Well, so try to get Chinese or Saudi Arabian or somewhere else's law introduced to the USA, okie.

Whats your point, Walter?

One example of the point I am making here, is environmentalists apparently do not mind what they would consider to be plundering of other countries to drill oil wells, but no way do they want to allow drilling in less than 1% of ANWR.
0 Replies

okie

Reply Tue 31 Jul, 2007 11:34 pm
http://www.junkscience.com/MSU_Temps/Warming_Look.html

Most records for June have now been posted in the above. I notice one set of data for the Lower Troposphere is a whopping 0.09 C above average, 0.81C below the peak of 1998. Catastrophe is just around the corner.

http://www.junkscience.com/MSU_Temps/RSSglobe.html
0 Replies

okie

Reply Sun 5 Aug, 2007 09:17 pm
I'm sure that somehow - global warming has to be the cause of thicker Arctic ice causing problems for the whales?

http://www.signonsandiego.com/news/state/20070606-0759-ca-brf-cencoast-whaletally.html
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Sun 5 Aug, 2007 11:43 pm
Thanks, okie, for mentioning thos valuable sources.

-------------------

Quote:
The heatwave that has already killed hundreds across Eastern Europe is no aberration. Since 1880, the frequency of extremely hot days has nearly tripled and the length of heatwaves across the continent has doubled.

Previous studies have shown that climate change is likely to make heatwaves more common across Europe. In April for example, the UN Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change published a report linking a range of changes seen in Earth's weather and ecosystems to global warming (see: Climate change is here now, says major report). The latest study suggests that these effects are already being felt.

Paul Della-Marta of the University of Bern in Switzerland and his colleagues studied data collected between 1880 and 2005 by 54 temperature stations across Western Europe.

Extremely hot days are also three times as common now as they were 127 years ago, the researchers found. This greater frequency of very hot days is also what is driving the longer heatwaves, says Della-Marta. On average heatwaves lasted 1.5 days in 1880, but now last about 3 days. Some drag on for up to 13 days.

source/full report: New Scientist
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Mon 6 Aug, 2007 12:35 am
Oh, and now Jack Bauer, the hero of '24', takes on global warming.
0 Replies

okie

Reply Mon 6 Aug, 2007 09:28 am
Walter Hinteler wrote:
Thanks, okie, for mentioning thos valuable sources.

Thanks. I try to stay away from biased sources. I am distressed to know that global warming is now a "crime" according to your scientifically based sources, Walter. How long will it be before they round us all up for execution if we don't toe the line and get rid of our SUV's? By the way, I've never had one, but I do have other sources of global warming crime committing pieces of equipment.
0 Replies