Global Warming...New Report...and it ain't happy news

username

Reply Wed 18 Jul, 2007 09:50 am
Hey, we've hit page 666. How appropriate for the topic is that?
0 Replies

username

Reply Wed 18 Jul, 2007 09:52 am
So of course as soon as I notice we're on page 666, I start page 667. Well at least we're post-Apocalyptic now.
0 Replies

hamburger

Reply Wed 18 Jul, 2007 11:19 am
"we're post-Apocalyptic now"

just trying to speed up trying to get away from it AS FAST AS POSSIBLE !

(what gives ? emoticons and "message body" don't seem to work ???)
hbg
0 Replies

okie

Reply Wed 18 Jul, 2007 12:31 pm
username wrote:

It has to be another sign of global warming doom. Global warming is causing everything now, you know?
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Wed 18 Jul, 2007 12:33 pm
Certainly. But invented by those communists with their small cars and little houses in Euriope, those poor have-nots, right okie?
0 Replies

maporsche

Reply Wed 18 Jul, 2007 12:35 pm
okie wrote:
username wrote:

It has to be another sign of global warming doom. Global warming is causing everything now, you know?

You know it's getting bad when I was listening to Brian and the Judge on Fox Radio this morning and there was a commercial (it said "brought to you by Fox News" as the end) about what listeners could do to combat GW, including washing out and reusing plastic baggies and only buying recycled goods (even if they cost more). Apparently even Murdoch is realizing that GW and methods used to help control it are not going to be disastorous to the economy, but instead will stimulate the economy and create a wealth of new jobs.

Fox News is finally on the bandwagon Okie....maybe it's time you hopped on?
0 Replies

okie

Reply Wed 18 Jul, 2007 01:04 pm
Walter Hinteler wrote:
Certainly. But invented by those communists with their small cars and little houses in Euriope, those poor have-nots, right okie?

I admire people that are frugal, and where land is more limited, then housing has to be more concentrated. I am not endorsing huge houses and wasteful living, but moderately more space is nice, Walter, so if it is available and the people can pay for it, good for them.
0 Replies

okie

Reply Wed 18 Jul, 2007 01:06 pm
maporsche wrote:

Fox News is finally on the bandwagon Okie....maybe it's time you hopped on?

Money making businesses will always jump on a gravy train, maporsche, even if they think the delivery of the gravy is not necessary.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Wed 18 Jul, 2007 01:15 pm
okie wrote:

I admire people that are frugal, and where land is more limited, then housing has to be more concentrated.

Yes, that's for what Europe is famous, those frugal German, French, Italian, Spanish, Russian etc meals in teeny-weeny rugged houses.
0 Replies

georgeob1

Reply Wed 18 Jul, 2007 01:19 pm
Walter seems to be a bit more testy than usual lately. Is it something in the summer air??
0 Replies

okie

Reply Wed 18 Jul, 2007 01:22 pm
Everybody is proud of their heritage, or at least most people. There would be something wrong if people did not. I admire the Germans, Walter, I worked for one for 4 years here when I was in school, only removed 1 generation from the old country.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Wed 18 Jul, 2007 01:29 pm
georgeob1 wrote:
Walter seems to be a bit more testy than usual lately. Is it something in the summer air??

No. But I really don't like it when it is said that we don't live in "residences" and drive small cars that this is a sign of how we are doing economically.

We = THE Eurpean = 47 countries (plus the Vatican, but there's a residence though the Papa-mobil isn't that big, too).
0 Replies

hamburger

Reply Wed 18 Jul, 2007 01:31 pm
george wrote :

"Walter seems to be a bit more testy than usual lately. Is it something in the summer air?? "

NO , it's global warming AND hitting 666 pages !

(and it's also loused up my "message body" line and emoticons . they refuse to work unles we do something to stop global warming , i'm sure .

please , either stop global warming or let me know how i can trick them to start working again for me !

i did post a help message already - but all anyone wants to talk about is global warming .
and i can't even express my emotions !!! - at least the exclamation mark works !!!) .
hbg
0 Replies

georgeob1

Reply Thu 19 Jul, 2007 01:58 am
Walter Hinteler wrote:
georgeob1 wrote:

No. But I really don't like it when it is said that we don't live in "residences" and drive small cars that this is a sign of how we are doing economically.

We = THE Eurpean = 47 countries (plus the Vatican, but there's a residence though the Papa-mobil isn't that big, too).

Yeah, but the Rottweiler Pope takes lots of room.

(I recognized the provocation and was just trying to stick a friendly finger in your eye. -- as you have done for me in similar suituations.) Smile
0 Replies

hamburger

Reply Thu 19 Jul, 2007 07:35 pm
george worote :

"just trying to stick a friendly finger in your eye"

you could have used the "fickle finger of fate" - one was just sold for $778 - estimate had been $300 !
hbg

http://www.lelands.com/App_Themes/Images/Auctions_Images/405/thumbnails/19579.jpg
0 Replies

High Seas

Reply Fri 20 Jul, 2007 01:05 pm
http://ocw.mit.edu/NR/rdonlyres/Nuclear-Engineering/22-00JSpring-2006/A50DA36D-AAFB-41E7-88A1-8404FFA45C89/0/chp_stresscrack.jpg

This is a sequence of four plots depicting a propagating stress field in 2 surfaces of varying elasticities - relevant to a recent query on this thread. The poster who was asking may, however, have been more interested in criticizing my - admittedly sadly deficient - literary skills than in getting an anwer to a question.....
0 Replies

High Seas

Reply Fri 20 Jul, 2007 01:17 pm
P.S. ....and this is a theoretical explanation (407 pages of it, so expect slow download) of what goes on in the above pictures:

http://wwwrses.anu.edu.au/~brian/pdfstrat.pdf
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Sun 22 Jul, 2007 11:50 pm
Quote:
It's official: the heavier rainfall in Britain is being caused by climate change, a major new scientific study will reveal this week, as the country reels from summer downpours of unprecedented ferocity.

More intense rainstorms across parts of the northern hemisphere are being generated by man-made global warming, the study has established for the first time ­ an effect which has long been predicted but never before proved.

The Independent: England under water: scientists confirm global warming link to increased rain
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Mon 23 Jul, 2007 12:33 am
This had been a topic earlier here, too:

http://i13.tinypic.com/520opwi.jpg

http://i18.tinypic.com/52zkbp1.jpg
(The Guardian, 23.07.07, page 18)

Online report
0 Replies

McTag

Reply Mon 23 Jul, 2007 01:04 am
In England this morning, several towns near the rivers Severn and Avon are flooded, and electricity supply has been shut down. Water supplies have stopped too, because of the power situation and because a water treatment works is inundated by floodwater.
Some railways and roads are closed.
Situation serious, unprecedented, and getting worse today.
0 Replies