Global Warming...New Report...and it ain't happy news

maporsche

Reply Fri 15 Jun, 2007 03:45 pm
maporsche wrote:
I read that "Dust-to-Dust" study, and we've discussed it in other threads (maybe even this one). It is full of holes and there are a few sites that debunk some of that research groups points.

It does need to be investigated, just using a more scientific and controlled approach.

It didn't for example take into account the energy needed to refine and transport the gasoline that these cars use.

It also added in research and development time for the Prius that it didn't add in for the Hummer and other vehicles. The 'study' states that the Prius took a lot of man hours to develop (because it's new) and the Hummer didn't because it's 50 years old and based on military design. So the Prius got a ton of costs associated with it that the Hummer didn't get allocated. EVERY new car has R&D time, in 10 years when this technology is everywhere, this R&D time for hybrid tech will be next to nothing.
0 Replies

okie

Reply Fri 15 Jun, 2007 05:26 pm
I agree with that observation. We should not relegate to the junk heap anything simply because the initial development might make it uneconomic for a while. Interesting that GM, Ford, and other companies chose not to invest as much into the design as Toyota, because they saw too much up front cost and no assurance they would recover the cost, so they played it too conservatively, and Toyota reaps the rewards of Prius now, however, it still remains to be seen if the hybrids will ever become a prolific design to be used for alot more models. Again, it should be observed that largely private enterprise perfected the hybrid design to where it stands today, not government programs.
0 Replies

Cycloptichorn

Reply Fri 15 Jun, 2007 07:38 pm
okie wrote:
I agree with that observation. We should not relegate to the junk heap anything simply because the initial development might make it uneconomic for a while. Interesting that GM, Ford, and other companies chose not to invest as much into the design as Toyota, because they saw too much up front cost and no assurance they would recover the cost, so they played it too conservatively, and Toyota reaps the rewards of Prius now, however, it still remains to be seen if the hybrids will ever become a prolific design to be used for alot more models. Again, it should be observed that largely private enterprise perfected the hybrid design to where it stands today, not government programs.

This is true, and a sterling example of why Green products can be quite profitable.

Look at it from a marketing point of view; there are a significant number of people who are interested in using products and services which come from greener sources, or create less waste during their usage. Businesses who cater to them help advance the technology which will eventually work its' way into MANY other applications (in many cases, we are seeing efficieny gains as the method of being 'greener').

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies

maporsche

Reply Fri 15 Jun, 2007 08:30 pm
okie wrote:

But let's keep in mind that it was also private enterprise that stole the electric car from all of those who wanted it and were willing to forego warrenties/parts to have it.

Private enterprise needs some government regulation to stay honest.

And a real impressive test of these private enterprises will be if they ever decide to come out with plug in electric hybrid designs. I will be first in line for one of those.
0 Replies

okie

Reply Fri 15 Jun, 2007 09:17 pm
maporsche wrote:
But let's keep in mind that it was also private enterprise that stole the electric car from all of those who wanted it and were willing to forego warrenties/parts to have it.

And a real impressive test of these private enterprises will be if they ever decide to come out with plug in electric hybrid designs. I will be first in line for one of those.

Who stole what? I'm not aware that anyone stole anything. There are electric cars you can buy now if you want one. They are not selling because they are so far not very practical to drive except a few blocks or a few miles, but don't work very well for all purpose driving all over the place, or at high speeds, without fear of the batteries going dead. Don't get me wrong, I think they have potential, especially if better batteries are developed, and I think we are on the verge of that.
0 Replies

maporsche

Reply Fri 15 Jun, 2007 10:44 pm
okie wrote:
maporsche wrote:

Who stole what? I'm not aware that anyone stole anything. There are electric cars you can buy now if you want one. They are not selling because they are so far not very practical to drive except a few blocks or a few miles, but don't work very well for all purpose driving all over the place, or at high speeds, without fear of the batteries going dead. Don't get me wrong, I think they have potential, especially if better batteries are developed, and I think we are on the verge of that.

GM stole the electric cars back from owners in 2004, when I say 'stole' what they really did was choose not to renew the leasing option for all the customers who wanted them. The movie "Who killed the electric car" is a pretty good showing of what they did.

As of today I do not know of any production electric cars, maybe you could elighten me to the one's you're talking about.
0 Replies

okie

Reply Sat 16 Jun, 2007 12:58 am
I don't know much about the various electric cars, but I have seen some on ebay. You can go to ebay motors and search for electric cars and there will be used ones and maybe even new ones of various types, and here are a couple of links to manufacturers. There may be more, and I don't know if the links provided are the main ones or the best ones.

http://www.gemcar.com/
http://www.zapworld.com/

At any rate, rest assured that no company has the power to stop a product if it is viable. If there is a sufficient market for any kind of electric car, the market would explode and everybody and his brother would be starting companies, designing various makes and models, and getting rich doing it.

One important point about all of this. Gasoline cost is still fairly cheap for most families budgets, in comparison with everything else. For example, I have looked into buying a very efficient small car for driving around town or for short distances, but when you put the pencil to it, the economic advantage is not there after you add the extra investment, the insurance cost and everything else associated with an extra vehicle. I would have to consider such a vehicle as an extra vehicle, because I would still need my standard car to travel across country or for interstate driving just a hundred miles from here. The electric car has limited use, so until it can totally replace my standard car, it is nothing more than a rich man's luxury. If gasoline rises alot more in price, perhaps to $5 per gallon, then another car begins to become more viable in terms of possibly saving money. Right now, the sales of highly efficient street legal small gasoline powered scooters are booming, but even in with those vehicles, I have talked to people that say they might just break even with fuel savings vs the cost of owning one after a year or two.
0 Replies

Steve 41oo

Reply Sat 16 Jun, 2007 05:38 am
okie wrote:
I don't know much about the various electric cars, but I have seen some on ebay. You can go to ebay motors and search for electric cars and there will be used ones and maybe even new ones of various types, and here are a couple of links to manufacturers. There may be more, and I don't know if the links provided are the main ones or the best ones.

At any rate, rest assured that no company has the power to stop a product if it is viable. If there is a sufficient market for any kind of electric car, the market would explode and everybody and his brother would be starting companies, designing various makes and models, and getting rich doing it.

One important point about all of this. Gasoline cost is still fairly cheap for most families budgets, in comparison with everything else. For example, I have looked into buying a very efficient small car for driving around town or for short distances, but when you put the pencil to it, the economic advantage is not there after you add the extra investment, the insurance cost and everything else associated with an extra vehicle. I would have to consider such a vehicle as an extra vehicle, because I would still need my standard car to travel across country or for interstate driving just a hundred miles from here. The electric car has limited use, so until it can totally replace my standard car, it is nothing more than a rich man's luxury. If gasoline rises alot more in price, perhaps to $5 per gallon, then another car begins to become more viable in terms of possibly saving money. Right now, the sales of highly efficient street legal small gasoline powered scooters are booming, but even in with those vehicles, I have talked to people that say they might just break even with fuel savings vs the cost of owning one after a year or two.

Lots of people wont admit they like driving a big car. They bought the big car because the liked it, not because they need it. Having bought it used it and taken it forgranted, they then try to use economics to justify it, but they overlook the cost to the environment. When carbon rationing comes in you wont have a choice. New vehicles will by law have to return much better mileage, which means smaller engines, and if you still own a Hummer, you wont be able to afford the extra carbon credits you need to keep it running.
0 Replies

maporsche

Reply Sat 16 Jun, 2007 08:09 am
okie wrote:

Okie, I really suggest you check out the movie "Who Killed the Electric Car". There is a market for these cars such as the GM EV1 and GM did kill it despite the thousands of sale offers for cars that were already in people's garages. GM had the power and they stopped it.

As far as your links go, there is only one car on there that I would consider an actual car, and that is this one

http://www.zapworld.com/ZAPWorld.aspx?id=4560

Which hasn't even been developed yet. The rest are more like motorcycles. That car is exciting though, 350 miles per charge in a 5 seater SUV. Very cool stuff.

Here is some info on the EV1 and Who Killed the Electric Car.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Who_Killed_the_Electric_Car%3F
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/General_Motors_EV1

At any rate, I've come to the conclusion that an electric car is the most logical replacement for gasoline powered cars. Hydrogen and ethanol will never get off the ground to replace gasoline. Besides they will still use internal conbustion engines which require oil to run, have thousands of parts that can break and need replacement, etc. The electric motor is a much simpler design and requires much less maintenence. And the electric power grid is already in place in every home in america.

I think the "Plug in Hybrid" design is probably the most probable in the short term. You can modify a Prius for about $6000 that will give it around 115-180 miles per gallon.
0 Replies

georgeob1

Reply Sat 16 Jun, 2007 08:58 am
Since our electricaL power is produced 52% by coal; 20% by nuclear reactors; 16% by natural gas; 6% by hydroelectrical dams; and 6% by everythng else - the use of plug-in electrical cars would, in effect substitute those fuels for gasoline. Moreover the associated power transformation chain for electrical vehicles (thermal to mechanical, to electrical, and back to mechanical) involves two extra tranformations, each associated with substantial power losses. As a result, I suspect more net fuel consumption might be required to power them.

Finally neither our existing power transmission grid or even our basic power generating capacity have the marginal capability over existing demand to accomodate such a large new requirement. Massive new investment in coal-burning or nuclear plants would be required, along with an associated huge increase in the capacity of the power distribution grid.

From the perspective of limiting airborne emissions this would work if the doubling of our power generation capacity were done with nuclear reactors. We have the nuclear fuel and the technology required to do it, but the cost would be great, and the political opposition to it likely insurmountable. Indeed, even the construction of new coal burning plants would have a tough going.
0 Replies

Thomas

Reply Sat 16 Jun, 2007 09:16 am
georgeob1 wrote:
Since our electricaL power is produced 52% by coal; 20% by nuclear reactors; 16% by natural gas; 6% by hydroelectrical dams; and 6% by everythng else - the use of plug-in electrical cars would, in effect substitute those fuels for gasoline. Moreover the associated power transformation chain for electrical vehicles (thermal to mechanical, to electrical, and back to mechanical) involves two extra tranformations, each associated with substantial power losses. As a result, I suspect more net fuel consumption might be required to power them.

In that case, perhaps we should revive the Stanley Steamer. And what about nuclear-powered cars? The possibilities are endless.
0 Replies

High Seas

Reply Sat 16 Jun, 2007 09:20 am
I've seen lots of plans for nuclear-powered cars, planes, rockets - and they all fail on the shielding weight needed. On ships extra weight doesn't matter.
0 Replies

georgeob1

Reply Sat 16 Jun, 2007 10:14 am
Given that the Braydon steam cycle has a higher thermodynamic efficiency than either the Otto or Deisel cycles at typical operating temperatures & pressures, perhaps we should bring back the Stanley. In fact the much greater complexity of the steam engine would prohibit that.

Incredible as it may seem to those rightly concerned about shielding and the consequences of a crash, the USAF did indeed attempt to build a nuclear powered aircraft, back in the late 1950s. The prototype plant still exists at the DoE Idaho National Laboratory near Arco - a fenced off mausoleum. The reactor was of a very primitive design, due in part to weight considerations and it provided for manual operation of the control rods. An operator error (fatal to the operator in question) yielded a "prompt criticality" accident that in effect turned the facility momentarily into a high energy microwave oven. The project was quickly abandoned.

Interestingly on a ship the combined weight (and volume) of an oil-fired steam plant and its fuel, is a good deal greater than that of a reactor plant and its shielding. Even a thirty year old Nimitz class carrier has more than twice the aviation fuel and ammunition storage capacity of a conventionally-powered carrier of the same size and displacement. Modern Naval reactors use highly enriched fuel; are loaded with boron and other neutron-absorbing "poisions" to limit reactivity early in plant life; have very high power densities; and don't need refuelling for the life of the ship.
0 Replies

Steve 41oo

Reply Sat 16 Jun, 2007 11:45 am
georgeob1 wrote:

Finally neither our existing power transmission grid or even our basic power generating capacity have the marginal capability over existing demand to accomodate such a large new requirement. Massive new investment in coal-burning or nuclear plants would be required, along with an associated huge increase in the capacity of the power distribution grid.

From the perspective of limiting airborne emissions this would work if the doubling of our power generation capacity were done with nuclear reactors. We have the nuclear fuel and the technology required to do it, but the cost would be great, and the political opposition to it likely insurmountable. Indeed, even the construction of new coal burning plants would have a tough going.
Indeed. Nuclear power is the way to go. Except for the problems associated with fission Sad

In a series of solutions suggested by me (#2) i suggest scooping up He3 from the surface of the moon and combining it with deuterium from seawater in a nuclear fusion plant to produce water and a great deal of heat. (Smile)
0 Replies

maporsche

Reply Sat 16 Jun, 2007 03:33 pm
georgeob1 wrote:
Since our electricaL power is produced 52% by coal; 20% by nuclear reactors; 16% by natural gas; 6% by hydroelectrical dams; and 6% by everythng else - the use of plug-in electrical cars would, in effect substitute those fuels for gasoline. Moreover the associated power transformation chain for electrical vehicles (thermal to mechanical, to electrical, and back to mechanical) involves two extra tranformations, each associated with substantial power losses. As a result, I suspect more net fuel consumption might be required to power the

The government says that our power grid as it exists today can handle up to 180 million plug in hybrids. There are approximately 220 million cars in the US. So you're wrong there.

http://www.autoblog.com/2006/12/12/turn-off-your-ac-nations-power-grid-can-handle-180-million-evs/

And you're right, it is not a zero-emission solution, but electric power plants run A LOT more efficiently than an internal combustion engine.

But I'm all for new nuclear power plants.
0 Replies

Cycloptichorn

Reply Sat 16 Jun, 2007 04:49 pm
Plugins also can be recharged at night; during the lowest hours of traditional usage...

But I as well am all for new nuclear power plants.

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies

georgeob1

Reply Sat 16 Jun, 2007 06:22 pm
maporsche wrote:

The government says that our power grid as it exists today can handle up to 180 million plug in hybrids. There are approximately 220 million cars in the US. So you're wrong there.

I think you shpuld do some more research on this point. The link you cited was not the government or any other authoritive source. Take a look at the Department of Energy Web sites and you will see that both our transmission & distribution networks and our power generating capacity are seriously underinvested. There is little redundancy or surge capacity in the grid and little marginal generation capacity remaining, and much of that is consists of very old plants. Most of the recent new capacity has been in the form of relatuively less efficient gas fired plants which, because of their relative simplicity, are used intermittently to meet peak daily demands.
0 Replies

okie

Reply Sat 16 Jun, 2007 06:32 pm
maporsche wrote:

Okie, I really suggest you check out the movie "Who Killed the Electric Car". There is a market for these cars such as the GM EV1 and GM did kill it despite the thousands of sale offers for cars that were already in people's garages. GM had the power and they stopped it.

I've heard of the movie but haven't seen it, but really have no interest in it because it is obviously nothing more than propaganda. Similar to all the other conspiracy theories where big oil or big cars bought the magic carburetor or some magic design by the mysterious inventor. Maybe the stories also have the inventors disappearing and so on. Such is nothing more than somebody's imagination going off the deep end. If there is a buck to be made with a new technology, rest assured the companies will be manufacturing it faster and faster just to keep up with sales. Also it is a free country and none of the technology is all that mysterious, it is being worked on by many people, and is fairly well known in terms of the different designs, so there are plenty of people and companies that would love to sell a practical electric car. I don't know the details of the GM cars, but it most assuredly had something to do with investment vs projected return, with the making of parts and warranties also a concern. I am guessing, but I don't have to see a movie to make a better guess than a propaganda movie.
0 Replies

maporsche

Reply Sat 16 Jun, 2007 07:21 pm
georgeob1 wrote:
maporsche wrote:

I think you should do some more research on this point. The link you cited was not the government or any other authoritive source. Take a look at the Department of Energy Web sites and you will see that both our transmission & distribution networks and our power generating capacity are seriously underinvested. There is little redundancy or surge capacity in the grid and little marginal generation capacity remaining, and much of that is consists of very old plants. Most of the recent new capacity has been in the form of relatuively less efficient gas fired plants which, because of their relative simplicity, are used intermittently to meet peak daily demands.

I'm sorry, I should have known from reading some of your previous posts that you don't like to do your own research. I should have realized that you already have fully formed opinions on certain matters and refuse to research anything that may refute those previously held opinions. Well, I'm doing you a favor and providing the government sources you asked for.

Here is the study that was completed by the Department of Energy (notice the .gov in the URL, specifying a government entity), specifically the by the Pacific Northwest National Laboratory. It was released on or near December 11th 2006. It's a 39 page document so I doubt you'll take any time to read it. Let me extract some points for you.

http://www.pnl.gov/energy/eed/etd/pdfs/phev_feasibility_analysis_combined.pdf

Quote:
The U.S. electric power infrastructure is a strategic national asset that is underutilized most of the time. With the proper changes in the operational paradigm, it could generate and deliver the necessary energy to fuel the majority of the U.S. light duty vehicle fleet. In doing so, it would reduce greenhouse gas emissions, improve the economics of the electricity industry, and reduce the U.S. dependency on foreign oil. Two companion papers investigate the technical potential and economic impacts of using the existing idle capacity of the electric infrastructure in conjunction with the emerging plug-in hybrid electric vehicle (PHEV) technology to meet the majority of the daily energy needs of the U.S. LDV fleet.

Quote:
For the United States as a whole, 84% of U.S. cars, pickup trucks and sport utility vehicles (SUVs) could be supported by the existing infrastructure, although the local percentages vary by region.

Quote:
This has a gasoline displacement potential of 6.5 million barrels of oil equivalent per day, or 52% of the nation's oil imports
0 Replies

maporsche

Reply Sat 16 Jun, 2007 07:22 pm
okie wrote:
maporsche wrote:

I've heard of the movie but haven't seen it, but really have no interest in it because it is obviously nothing more than propaganda. Similar to all the other conspiracy theories where big oil or big cars bought the magic carburetor or some magic design by the mysterious inventor. Maybe the stories also have the inventors disappearing and so on. Such is nothing more than somebody's imagination going off the deep end. If there is a buck to be made with a new technology, rest assured the companies will be manufacturing it faster and faster just to keep up with sales. Also it is a free country and none of the technology is all that mysterious, it is being worked on by many people, and is fairly well known in terms of the different designs, so there are plenty of people and companies that would love to sell a practical electric car. I don't know the details of the GM cars, but it most assuredly had something to do with investment vs projected return, with the making of parts and warranties also a concern. I am guessing, but I don't have to see a movie to make a better guess than a propaganda movie.

There you go with that "obviously" word again..........

I should have known you wouldn't do any of your own research either. I had hopes for you...maybe you'll come around.
0 Replies