Global Warming...New Report...and it ain't happy news

Foxfyre

Reply Tue 15 May, 2007 08:50 am
au1929 wrote:
Foxfyre

Yes oil companies are not villains there jusrt out to make a profit. Is that why it is projected that a gallon of regular gasoline will exceed $4.00 by memorial day. That despite the price of a barrel of oil remaining relatively stable. Profit hell, killing is more like it.
Regarding our do nothing government they periodically wake up and make pronouncements regarding how they are going to attack a problem they "Just became aware of". A project that unfortunately will take umpty,umpty years to complete. To bad cars can' run on the hot air coming from Washington. If they could the problem would be solved. Embarrassed Embarrassed

While I agree there is more hot air than quality programs coming out of Washington, oil prices are not stable at this time and are at risk. Oil prices jumped to more than $72/barrel last month and have not yet retreated from that though the futures suggest prices will drop back into the $60's in June if there are no more negative events. The President's threatened new regulations affects the price of gasoline as does any new unrest in the Middle East as does political deals intentionally shifting markets to and fro.

The oil companies could sell gasoline for significantly less money if each state and or municipality did not have its own requirements for forumlations requiring the refineries to shut down and reformulate for each separate standard. If everybody would agree on one for each grade of gasoline, the refineries would have a lot less down time and could make a lot more gasoline for a lot less money.

Also if the 'greenies' would allow more refineries to be built, we would have far less disruption when a big refinery has a mishap or otherwise has to shut down for maintenance and/or retooling.

The oil production companies do profit when oil prices are high. (So do the states receiving depletion benefits from that production--New Mexico is awash in cash right now.) The oil companies don't set the price for a barrel of oil though. That price is set by the commodities market.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Tue 15 May, 2007 09:03 am
Another possibilty would be be to reduce oil consumption.

But as you explianed, Foxfyre, that's something which would change your lifstyle and thus is unacceptable. (But reduces the price at the pumpstation Laughing )
0 Replies

Foxfyre

Reply Tue 15 May, 2007 09:05 am
I wonder if you would have anything to post at all Walter if you couldn't misrepresent what I say and what I do?
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Tue 15 May, 2007 09:12 am
Exactly where did I misrepresent what you said and/or did?

(I admit, I didn't link both BP-sites, sorry, but they are easily to find.)
0 Replies

okie

Reply Tue 15 May, 2007 09:13 am
I laugh every time I hear a lib. complain about oil prices. They are not in favor of drilling for new oil, and anybody with even a beginning knowledge of supply and demand knows that more supply means more competition of product and lower prices, so what do they expect? As it is, the world is gobbling up virtually every drop of oil that can be produced. Obviously, drilling in places like ANWR would not solve the problem, but it would at least show some benefits at the margins.

And I thought libs are in favor of higher prices. And to be honest, higher prices are the principle factor that will spur other technologies.
0 Replies

miniTAX

Reply Tue 15 May, 2007 09:13 am
Steve 41oo wrote:
Quote:
This year, creative attacks on the world's energy problems are everywhere.
Energy problems? Surely the market will determine that as prices rise, fuel will be used more sparingly and new petroleum resources will come on stream until the price drops? Er well no its a bit more complicated than that...but never mind you of so much faith in the market can always stick bananas in your tank.

A nice video for you Steve (here) with the usual fear peddlers in chief, namely Campbell, Heinberg...

Man, those guys keep telling for decades peak-oil is here in less than 3 years and now, they go on video to sell their snakeoil. Mad
Avoid if you are in a depressive or succidal mood :wink:
0 Replies

au1929

Reply Tue 15 May, 2007 09:17 am
Foxfyre
Have you noticed how quickly the price at the pump is raised when the cost of a barrel of oil rises. The explanation being it is raised to compensate for the cost of replacement oil. However, it would seem based upon the reluctance or slowness to lower the price at the pump the same does not hold true when the price of the replacement oil retreats.
0 Replies

miniTAX

Reply Tue 15 May, 2007 09:17 am
Foxfyre wrote:
You're turning nuts into energy?
YES, just need some spare parts and they'll be at work Laughing
http://www.provelo.org/IMG/jpg/EpaveStJosseDelhaizeCity_3.jpg
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Tue 15 May, 2007 09:21 am
okie wrote:
I laugh every time I hear a lib. complain about oil prices.

We laugh every time when we hear any American complain about the oil prices - those, you've got now, where here in ... well, about 1980, I think.
0 Replies

miniTAX

Reply Tue 15 May, 2007 09:22 am
au1929 wrote:
Foxfyre
Have you noticed how quickly the price at the pump is raised when the cost of a barrel of oil rises. The explanation being it is raised to compensate for the cost of replacement oil. However, it would seem based upon the reluctance or slowness to lower the price at the pump the same does not hold true when the price of the replacement oil retreats.

Nice theory AU but untrue Exclamation
0 Replies

okie

Reply Tue 15 May, 2007 09:24 am
I know, Walter. I found out personally. We do have our share of whiners, thats for sure. Some people think they should give it away. Some of the same people that complain about gas prices go buy cigarettes at whatever it is now, $4 bucks a pack, what is it these days?
0 Replies

hamburger

Reply Tue 15 May, 2007 09:24 am
here is an interesting point of view from the bank of nova scotia - one of canada's major banks and doing business worldwide - on "GOING GREEN" .
if you don't have the time to read the whole article , here is a summary in a few words :
- the challenges and costs are going to be quite enornous ,
- BUT "At the same time, the green agenda will unleash enormous business and employment opportunities".

the way i see it : we can either get onboard or be left behind .
while china is one of the major polluters right now , once china realizes there is money to be made going green , they'll likely come in like a steamroller (a non-polluting one Laughing ) and give other deveeloped countries tough competition .
we only have to go back about twenty years ago when hardly anyone would have thought china would ever build aircraft parts for boeing or provide computer gear for american defence contractors ... now many chinese products have become integral to industry worldwide .
something to think about !
hbg

Quote:
Going Green... Don't Plan On Business As Usual, according to Scotiabank's Chief Economist

08:17 EDT Tuesday, May 15, 2007

TORONTO, May 15 /CNW/ - Responding to emerging environment issues, governments in the major developed nations are changing regulations, taxes and subsidies to achieve ambitious long-term environmental and energy conservation targets, according to Scotia Economics' latest flagship report, Global Outlook, entitled Going Green... Don't Plan On Business As Usual.

"These policy actions will have a big impact on industrial competitiveness and relative economic performance among regions," said Warren Jestin Chief Economist, Scotiabank. Adapting to the fallout from climate change, which can take the form of severe droughts and other extreme weather conditions, also carries enormous costs.

By 2020, the European Union (EU) is aiming to reduce greenhouse gas (GHG) emissions by at least 20 per cent from 1990 levels, derive 20 per cent of its energy from renewable sources and trim 20 per cent of its primary energy consumption. Achieving these goals will be a big challenge since they require massive public and private investments and the integration of EU power markets.

In the U.S., President Bush has committed to reducing national gasoline usage by 20 per cent over the next decade, a goal also aimed at restraining petroleum imports that currently exceed US$300 billion annually. In the absence of national targets for reducing emissions, California and other states are tightening emission limits and mandating the use of alternative energy sources such as wind and solar.

The greening of the policy agenda has rapidly gathered momentum in Canada as well. "Ottawa and the Provinces are setting new environmental targets and unveiling multi-billion-dollar spending initiatives," said Jestin. The new federal accelerated depreciation incentive for machinery and equipment purchases also will help support energy-efficient investments.

Jestin reports that "Ottawa has opened the door to equivalency agreements that will allow each Province and Territory to lead its own clean air agenda. This flexible approach recognizes both the unprecedented co-operation required among all levels of government and each jurisdiction's different industrial structure, prior policy settings and resources."

"But as Kermit the Frog told us years ago, it's not that easy bein' green," said Jestin. A wide array of technologies and processes is being championed to mitigate environmental impact, yet the path from innovation to implementation is often not smooth.

"Globally, meaningful progress requires major adjustments in all nations. China, the second-largest annual producer of GHG emissions after the U.S., India, and many other emerging industrial nations rely on coal-burning power generation to help fuel their fast-track growth," adds Jestin. "These emerging nations are going to have a very difficult time implementing, let alone affording, the huge expenditures needed to reduce pollution intensity and improve energy efficiency."

Canada's potential as an energy super-power hinges on developing its massive non-conventional petroleum resources, largely in Alberta. As oil sands output ramps up, investment in new technology will be needed to limit the relatively high GHG emissions from their extraction. While a number of options have been proposed to meet the substantial power demands of major resource developments, all of the alternatives carry multi-billion-dollar price tags.

New environmental requirements are not the only factors altering the competitive landscape. Intense global competition, the soaring loonie, high energy prices, and on a longer-term basis, the aging of the baby boom generation, greatly complicate strategic planning. At the same time, the green agenda will unleash enormous business and employment opportunities.

From a Canadian perspective, the gradually decelerating trend in domestic activity that emerged in mid-2006 has continued into the early part of 2007. This more moderate economic profile is expected to persist, with output growth averaging just 2.3 per cent this year and 2.7 per cent in 2008. The downgrading in growth expectations remains centred on the manufacturing sector, which is grappling with intense international competition and the rise in the Canadian dollar in recent years.

"Given the moderation in U.S. growth now underway and the renewed strengthening in the Canadian dollar, further production cuts and factory job losses are likely in the coming months," said Mr. Jestin. "Looking further ahead, however, these cost cutting measures alongside an accelerated pace of business investment should eventually put the sector on a firmer footing. It should also begin to narrow the wide performance gap between the manufacturing-dominated economies of Central Canada and the resource-rich Western provinces."

After three straight years of robust expansion, U.S. real economic growth will likely drop to an average of around 2.5 per cent over the next two years as the continuing downturn in the housing sector puts greater pressure on consumer spending. The external sector should prove supportive, however, as a weakening U.S. dollar and ongoing strong foreign demand point to continuing gains in export volumes.

The developing Americas region as a whole will post a slower, yet more sustainable, economic expansion. Growth differentials between the more stable, better-performing economies, Brazil, Chile, Mexico, Peru and Colombia, and the post-crisis fast-growing countries, Argentina and Venezuela, will tend to narrow.

Western Europe is on a moderate growth trajectory averaging around two - 2.5 per cent through 2008. Nevertheless, the combination of higher interest rates, an appreciating euro, slower growth in overseas markets and fiscal deficit reduction will dampen the rate of expansion.

Japan is also on track to record moderate GDP growth of about 2 per cent. The impetus will come largely from business investment and foreign trade, as the government remains focused on spending restraint, and consumer spending gains will remain subdued. Developing Asia, led by China and India, will remain in the top ranks of the global growth charts.

From a provincial perspective, British Columbia should remain near the top of the growth pack this year and next, led by activity in the construction sector. Large-scale expansion in the oil sands will continue to spur growth in Alberta as the construction boom spills over into the non-resource and service sectors. Saskatchewan's economy is expected to grow by close to three per cent this year and next, benefiting in part from strong support from the mining sector and the impact of increased North American biofuel production. Manitoba should also witness steady growth through 2008 mainly due to public investment in infrastructure, as well as expansion of hydroelectric and wind power capacity.

The expansions in Ontario and Quebec are expected to lag the national average in both 2007 and 2008, as their beleaguered manufacturing sectors continue to weigh on production. However, Ontario's large service and construction sectors will help keep the province moving ahead, while Quebec will benefit from expanded hydro investments.

New Brunswick's economy will be supported by several energy-related construction projects underway, and by the mining sector that is being buoyed by strong global demand and high commodity prices. Nova Scotia will also benefit from increased energy and metal mining production. Newfoundland and Labrador should rival Alberta for the top growth spot in 2007 as output rebounds in the offshore oil, and metal mining sectors. Prince Edward Island will likely lag the other Atlantic provinces because of a lack of major construction projects, though food and aerospace manufacturing should continue to expand.

To view a recent Webcast of Scotiabank's Chief Economist, Warren Jestin, and ScotiaMcLeod's Director of Equity Trading, Fred Ketchen, presenting the Global Outlook, visit www.scotiabank.com.

The Global Outlook and other Scotia Economics publications are available at www.scotiabank.com and on Bloomberg at SCOE.

Scotia Economics provides clients with in-depth research into the factors shaping the outlook for Canada and the global economy, including macroeconomic developments, currency and capital market trends, commodity and industry performance, as well as monetary, fiscal and public policy issues.

GOING GREEN
0 Replies

miniTAX

Reply Tue 15 May, 2007 09:25 am
Walter Hinteler wrote:
We laugh every time when we hear any American complain about the oil prices - those, you've got now, where here in ... well, about 1980, I think.
No, no, in constant dollar, it's much cheaper now.
http://pichuile.free.fr/price%20per%20barrel%20infl%20adj%201970-2005%20cotd.gif
0 Replies

au1929

Reply Tue 15 May, 2007 09:27 am
miniTAX
Nothing theoretical about it.
0 Replies

okie

Reply Tue 15 May, 2007 09:31 am
miniTAX wrote:

miniTAX, thanks for pointing that out. I had heard that, but nice to see the graph, and that goes a long ways in explaining why the prices have not affected the economy more adversely than they have.
0 Replies

Cycloptichorn

Reply Tue 15 May, 2007 09:32 am
okie wrote:
miniTAX wrote:

miniTAX, thanks for pointing that out. I had heard that, but nice to see the graph, and that goes a long ways in explaining why the prices have not affected the economy more adversely than it has.[/quote]

Plz note that the graph shows price of oil, not the price of gasoline, which is currently at a pretty high level.

In 1998, I used to fill up my Mustang for 99 cents a gallon. Here, 9 years later, the price has quadrupled. You can say what you want about prices not being high, but that's a big rise in a short time frame.

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies

miniTAX

Reply Tue 15 May, 2007 09:39 am
hamburger wrote:
here is an interesting point of view from the bank of nova scotia - one of canada's major banks and doing business worldwide - on "GOING GREEN" .
if you don't have the time to read the whole article , here is a summary in a few words :
- the challenges and costs are going to be quite enornous ,
- BUT "At the same time, the green agenda will unleash enormous business and employment opportunities".
When my wife graduated from University in biology 15 years ago, her profs keep telling her, get specialized in ecology, there'll be plenty of jobs (they couldn't care less to make belles promises, what is in their interest is to fill their classes not what their students would have become). She had some first carrers in biology then stops working to follow me in my job and to raise the kids. Now she works again (btw not for money but for her mental balance) and all she can find is beeing a teacher (that's rather nice with few work hours and plenty of holidays)... just like the vast, vast majority of her classmates. None of them, even those with PhDs have found anything in the ecology or environment fields.

That's the reality. So before giving grand advice, ask yourself a simple question: if you have a kid, would you entice him to specialize in a field related to the environment for his professionnal future? Think about it.
0 Replies

miniTAX

Reply Tue 15 May, 2007 09:46 am
Cycloptichorn wrote:
In 1998, I used to fill up my Mustang for 99 cents a gallon. Here, 9 years later, the price has quadrupled. You can say what you want about prices not being high, but that's a big rise in a short time frame.
Then ask the taxman, not the oil driller :wink:
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Tue 15 May, 2007 09:51 am
miniTAX wrote:

Well, okay - but: we (Germans) have to work 4.8 minutes for a liter petrol, an US-American 1.8 minutes.
(In 1980 it was in Germany something like 12 minutes.)
0 Replies

Cycloptichorn

Reply Tue 15 May, 2007 09:52 am
miniTAX wrote:
Cycloptichorn wrote:
Then ask the taxman, not the oil driller :wink:

I'm pretty sure that taxes upon gasoline have not risen significantly in the last 9 years, so I'm not sure what I would ask the taxman exactly...

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies