Global Warming...New Report...and it ain't happy news

Foxfyre

Reply Wed 18 Apr, 2007 03:07 pm
I'll just refer you to the MANY postings by hurricane experts that are already on the thread, Walter.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Wed 18 Apr, 2007 03:10 pm
Well ... "the hurricane experts are mostly not concurring with that at all".

Thanks, Foxfyre.
0 Replies

Foxfyre

Reply Wed 18 Apr, 2007 03:42 pm
You're welcome Walter. (My intent was not to imply that the hurricane experts posted on the thread, but there have been many postings of articles or opinions written by hurricane experts that have been posted over many months.)
0 Replies

mysteryman

Reply Wed 18 Apr, 2007 04:40 pm
Its hard to take the global warming crowd seriously when their self appointed leader,Al Gore,says that man may have only 10 years left to save the world.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2006/01/25/AR2006012502230.html

Quote:
He's palling around with Larry David of "Curb Your Enthusiasm," who says, "Al is a funny guy." But he is also a very serious guy who believes humans may have only 10 years left to save the planet from turning into a total frying pan.

If thats the case,why are we having this discussion?
Its not possible to reverse the supposed effects in 10 years.
0 Replies

okie

Reply Wed 18 Apr, 2007 09:15 pm
It seems pertinent to post the meaning of a word here:

fanatic: - A person marked or motivated by an extreme, unreasoning enthusiasm, as for a cause.
0 Replies

Advocate

Reply Thu 19 Apr, 2007 09:14 am
If Al Gore is an fanatic, I guess that the vast majority of climate scientists may be so described. Gore has done an invaluable job in publicizing a very important point of view. As usual, conservatives activate their swift-boating attacks on anything or anyone who is viewed as liberal.
0 Replies

McGentrix

Reply Thu 19 Apr, 2007 10:00 am
It's a very biased point of view. It's hard to discount opposing professional views and evidence that Gore's "science" just isn't right.
0 Replies

okie

Reply Thu 19 Apr, 2007 10:43 am
Advocate wrote:
If Al Gore is an fanatic, I guess that the vast majority of climate scientists may be so described. Gore has done an invaluable job in publicizing a very important point of view. As usual, conservatives activate their swift-boating attacks on anything or anyone who is viewed as liberal.

If anyone thinks we have only 10 years left, I think that person is a fanatic. How many predicitions of doom have been made along those lines in the past, and we are still alive and well, a long time after the predictions time lines.

I do not believe all those climate scientists believe as Al Gore does.

"Swift boaters" are only correcting the record. Sorry it bursts your balloon.
0 Replies

miniTAX

Reply Thu 19 Apr, 2007 10:51 am
Advocate wrote:
Gore has done an invaluable job in publicizing a very important point of view.
Source
0 Replies

miniTAX

Reply Thu 19 Apr, 2007 10:56 am
okie wrote:
If anyone thinks we have only 10 years left, I think that person is a fanatic.
Al Gore is just parroting the Chief Alarmist, James Hansen, director of the GISS (NASA), "inventor" of the 10 year deadline et the "tipping point".

I don't know if Al Gore is fanatic but what is sure is he is a deadly hypocrite. If he really thinks we have only 10 years left, he wouldn't consume 20x the energy of an average American household in he sole Tennesee house (he has several mansions). This guy is a crook, for sure. A crook panicking because his dirty tricks is beeing discovered (Kyoto is unravelling, sea rise is NOT accelerating, the Earth is cooling since 1998, no new Katrina, the Chindians couldn't care less about CO2 ...)
0 Replies

okie

Reply Thu 19 Apr, 2007 11:21 am
miniTAX, thanks for enumerating all the errors in Gore's documentary. For myself, the claims were so fantastic that basically I didn't care to bother to even examine the claims and identify all the errors, as they are just obvious to the most casual honest observer, but your work on it is appreciated. It is amazing that Gore's film is being shown all over the country here in classrooms as honest science. No wonder the kids are all indoctrinated with this stuff, and then the level headed people are left with the job of trying to undo all this disinformation, which is not an easy thing to do. Gore has not done a service by bringing attention to this, he has done very serious damage to the science and the educational system. Instead of doing honest science, we are left with trying to combat all of this propaganda.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Thu 19 Apr, 2007 11:27 am
okie wrote:
For myself, the claims were so fantastic that basically I didn't care to bother to even examine the claims and identify all the errors, as they are just obvious to the most casual honest observer, but your work on it is appreciated. It is amazing that Gore's film is being shown all over the country here in classrooms as honest science.

Obviously those who decide(d) that aren't such well educated persons as you are.
0 Replies

okie

Reply Thu 19 Apr, 2007 11:38 am
Thanks for the dig, Walter. Well, I do happen to know a few teachers, and in regard to elementary and high school, many just sort of go with the flow, whatever is popular, and I will not deny the movement, including Gore's message, is popular among a large segment of the population. I mean all the little kiddees want to save the earth, its creatures, and celebrate "mother earth." After all, they grow up watching talking animals and documentaries on evil corporations.
0 Replies

old europe

Reply Thu 19 Apr, 2007 11:45 am
okie wrote:
Thanks for the dig, Walter. Well, I do happen to know a few teachers, and in regard to elementary and high school, many just sort of go with the flow, whatever is popular, and I will not deny the movement, including Gore's message, is popular among a large segment of the population. I mean all the little kiddees want to save the earth, its creatures, and celebrate "mother earth." After all, they grow up watching talking animals and documentaries on evil corporations.

Aw, I don't know. The Walt Disney Company was founded in 1923... so I would guess that you grew up with talking animals and documentaries, too. And it certainly didn't affect you.
0 Replies

maporsche

Reply Thu 19 Apr, 2007 11:52 am
miniTAX wrote:
okie wrote:
Al Gore is just parroting the Chief Alarmist, James Hansen, director of the GISS (NASA), "inventor" of the 10 year deadline et the "tipping point".

I don't know if Al Gore is fanatic but what is sure is he is a deadly hypocrite. If he really thinks we have only 10 years left, he wouldn't consume 20x the energy of an average American household in he sole Tennesee house (he has several mansions). This guy is a crook, for sure. A crook panicking because his dirty tricks is beeing discovered (Kyoto is unravelling, sea rise is NOT accelerating, the Earth is cooling since 1998, no new Katrina, the Chindians couldn't care less about CO2 ...)

Apparently Gore's house only uses energy generated from methods that do not generate CO2 (wind, solar, etc). I heard him make this statement during his congressional visit on C-span a few weeks ago.
0 Replies

Foxfyre

Reply Thu 19 Apr, 2007 11:59 am
maporsche wrote:
miniTAX wrote:
okie wrote:

Apparently Gore's house only uses energy generated from methods that do not generate CO2 (wind, solar, etc). I heard him make this statement during his congressional visit on C-span a few weeks ago.
0 Replies

Advocate

Reply Thu 19 Apr, 2007 12:12 pm
First, Gore (and others) didn't say that the world will die in 10 years. They are saying that we have a small window in which to change our ways relative to our use of fossil fuels. After that period, changes will not help. A NASA scientist, who the administration tried to muzzle, said the same thing.

The shots made at Gore's film come from the Competitive Institute, which is hardly an unbiased group. His film has solid support from respected scientists, but not from right-wing organizations.

Gore's home is essentially an office building. It uses a bit more power because the home serves as the base for his business, film, and other activities. But the charges DO constitute good swift-boating.
0 Replies

maporsche

Reply Thu 19 Apr, 2007 12:14 pm
miniTAX wrote:
sea rise is NOT accelerating, the Earth is cooling since 1998, no new Katrina

Sea level rise IS happening.
The Earth is NOT cooling.
And Katrina happened only 20 months ago.

What are you smoking?
0 Replies

okie

Reply Thu 19 Apr, 2007 12:30 pm
Haven't you heard the news, they now think global warming should cause less hurricanes, so how could Katrina be caused by global warming?

http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2007/04/070417182843.htm
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Thu 19 Apr, 2007 12:34 pm
Regarding sea level rise, miniTax can easily get answers for his region and departement in 3 rue Fondaudège :wink:
0 Replies