Global Warming...New Report...and it ain't happy news

xingu

Reply Tue 10 Apr, 2007 08:37 pm
http://www.truthdig.com/images/eartothegrounduploads/TheHug363.jpg
0 Replies

blatham

Reply Wed 11 Apr, 2007 05:52 am
Be fair, though. It doesn't cost that scientist a damn dime to say "we need to act now on global warming, even though we don't really have a good idea on how much we need to do or even if it will do any good at all." In fact, he's on the receiving end of grant money. But GM has to fork up the design money even if meeting the regulation is completely impossible, or else just close up operations in those states. They don't have a responsibility to be objective - it's directly affecting their interests, they're representing those interests.

If that scientist is wrong, he shrugs, says "okay, guess I was wrong," and goes on to another area of research. But nobody's proposing to pay GM back (if they're even still around - we're not talking about a healthy company.)

The idea of local regulation for contributions to global warming is, if I can put it bluntly, somewhat silly. Unlike other areas of pollution, where local pollutants affect the local population, CO2 emissions have more or less an equal effect everywhere, no matter where they're sourced.

An invitation to fairness...how could I refuse. Pleased to make your acquaintance. Your presentation above is sophisticated but leaking at just about every seam. You work in business or investment or in marketing, yes?

"It doesn't cost a scientist a damn dime...". How about a structural engineer employed by the state to verify adherence to building codes or a chemist in the FDA spot-checking the purity and integrity of products coming out of a pharmaceutical company or a scientist doing ANY sort of work at all? That their paycheck is determined by other than the conclusions their research leads to is hardly a deficiency of science. It is the converse which ought to concern you...where that scientist is in the employ of a company who has a vested interest, particularly a serious interest, in one particular conclusion...because then it very likely WILL cost that scientist your damn dime.

But note that you frame this portion of your argument around money. Integrity to the pursuit of science or even personal reputation as a scientist doesn't seem to enter in your survey of scientists' motives here (thus my supposition on your line of work).

This next is related. "He's on the receiving end of grant money". This doesn't reveal much about your line of work but it does point to what materials you read. It is a staple PR line promulgated and disseminated by potentially affected sectors of the business community (energy, autos, etc) designed to throw the scientific community's motives into disrepute. Ironically, it is essentially arguing, "They are like us...greed or self-interest drives them so therefore they aren't to be trusted in their conclusions and statements." Cute trick.

Who is coming up with all this "grant money" which now employs armies of atmospheric scientists and biochemists and entymologists? What were these fellows and fellowesses doing before the 'GW windfall'...pumping gas? Are you suggesting that absent the GW-related areas of on-going research they would be out of work and on the dole? Do you have a graph that shows some rocket-like uptrend in the employment of scientists since the GW debate emerged?

That GM "doesn't have a responsiblity to be objective" is functionally amoral. The same would apply to the pig farm upwind of your home. You are apparently willing, as a consequence of an ideological stance, to put up with neighbors I'm not going to put up with.

Local address to or local remedies in the direction of GW are "silly". Only if one assumes the only way to get things done is through the absolutism of authoritarian or totalitarian fiat. In the US, activism at the community level is altering how states deal with these questions and that is having effects on how the federal government will have to deal with these questions. Activism in countries all over the world is having the same consequences.
0 Replies

georgeob1

Reply Wed 11 Apr, 2007 09:58 am
Local activism also gave us the Salem Witch trials.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Wed 11 Apr, 2007 10:15 am
georgeob1 wrote:
Local activism also gave us the Salem Witch trials.

Don't get frightened, george: you're not on that list.

Not yet.
0 Replies

georgeob1

Reply Wed 11 Apr, 2007 10:22 am
Thank you Walter. I'll count on your support if the issue ever comes to a decision.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Wed 11 Apr, 2007 10:27 am
I'm born in a town with the nickname "witch town", my mother was known in her youth at grammar school as the "little black witch", my father wrote some essays about witches - do you really think you choose the right person for support ... ? :wink:
0 Replies

Reply Wed 11 Apr, 2007 11:35 am
blatham wrote:
An invitation to fairness...how could I refuse. Pleased to make your acquaintance. Your presentation above is sophisticated but leaking at just about every seam. You work in business or investment or in marketing, yes?

Cute, yet wrong. (Don't feel bad, you'd have never guessed.)

You're missing something of the larger point, so I'll guess you haven't been keeping up with the thread. I'm not trying to impugn the motives of the scientists per se (and in fact, if you read the actual scientific reports as opposed to things like "executive summaries", most of the scientists involved are considerably less certain than most of the activists!)

However, from the view of the scientist, the question is one of theoretical risks versus theoretical costs. Surely you've heard the argument that, since damages due to global warming may be very large, we should act now even though we can't accurately estimate the effects? If you're attacking global warming as an intellectual exercise, that sort of statement is reasonable - spending a little money now to avoid a tremendous expense later is a reasonable exercise.

However, for GM (or any other auto company, or in fact practically all of our heavy industry), the question is not an academic one. The money they have to spend in order to attempt to meet these targets is actual money, not a discounted estimate of future disaster - it has to come out of their budget somewhere. So who's going to get paid less? Which parts supplier is going to have to close a plant? How many people are put out of work when people spend their money on other cars, made by manufacturers who didn't have to tilt at this particular windmill? (Yes, yes, "it could come out of profits." Have you looked at GM's finances lately?)

I'm certain that you'd agree that, at some level, GM has a responsibility to remain a going concern, keeping its workers employed and that pension fund funded, right? Or are you incapable of making the mental transition between "oh, it's a big company, screw it!" and the human misery that lies behind a statement like that?

As for the rest of it, if we're talking about the value of activism, in this case, precisely what -is- that value? How much are your efforts actually worth? The fact is, you don't know whether this sort of thing will actually be any good or not; from here, it looks like someone shouting, "Hey, if we all piss into the wind at the same time, it will stop blowing!"

That's not to say that it's inevitable, but there are actual figures involved here. You don't know them, though. In fact, I'll ask, are you even interested in those figures? Specifically, I'll re-iterate the list of questions I put up a few posts back. What temperature are we shooting for? How much of a cut in CO2 emissions would be necessary to achieve that temperature? (I'll omit the problem of exporting industry to third-world nations with poor pollution controls, for the moment...) If you can't answer either question, why do you care about the topic?
0 Replies

parados

Reply Wed 11 Apr, 2007 12:00 pm
GM is free to not spend the money. They are not required to spend it. They just will lose the ability to sell cars in those states where they don't meet the standards. I am sure Toyota, Honda and others will be happy to take the market share that GM is giving up by not spending the money.

This is not about no car company can do it. This is about a couple of car companies trying to prevent their lack of foresight and lack of investment having a financial impact on their bottom line.

GM loses or gains market share all the time, most loses lately. It's called the free market. It doesn't mean people lose their jobs and are thrown into the street. Your argument isn't even based on reality at this point. People in NH and Ca will still buy vehicles. Those vehicles will still have to be built and transported. The jobs may move around but it isn't the end of the car companies or all auto workers.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Wed 11 Apr, 2007 12:04 pm
On the other hand, GM companies in Europe (Opel [Vauxhall] and Saab) are trying to catch up and really not doing that bad at all.
0 Replies

hamburger

Reply Wed 11 Apr, 2007 12:59 pm
while we are talking about the automakers ...
a pretty interesting article appeared in today's newspaper :
japanese automakers are increasing their production in JAPAN !
while for some years now the japanese have been building more plants overseas - particularly in north-america - , they have now concluded that they want to build more cars in japan and export them !
i imagine that they must feel themselves to be in a pretty strong position to take this action .
hbg

Quote:
Japan opens more auto plants in Japan as 'Big Three' slash U.S. jobs
Nation's car builders open new plants for the first time in many years.
By Yuri Kageyama
THE ASSOCIATED PRESS

TOKYO -- At a time when Detroit's "Big Three" are closing plants and slashing jobs to revive their ailing business, their Japanese counterparts are opening plants in Japan for the first time in decades.

That's because there's strong demand for fuel-efficient small cars such as the Toyota Yaris and Honda Fit -- all of which are made in Japan -- and luxury models and hybrids, most of which are made here.

But there's also a shift away from the conventional wisdom that automakers are best off making cars in the same region where they sell.

Toyota, Nissan and Honda realize that the roots of their success lie in the management and production strategies developed and honed at home -- from outstanding quality control to their extensive supplier networks -- and that expanding in Japan may be the smartest way to meet demand for certain types of vehicles.

"It doesn't make sense to produce everything abroad," said Tsuyoshi Mochimaru, auto analyst with Deutsche Securities in Tokyo. "The idea is that rethinking quality begins in Japan."

Among the recent boosts in production here:

• Honda Motor Co. is planning its first plant opening in Japan in 30 years. The new car-assembly and engine plants will be running by 2010, creating 2,200 jobs.

• Toyota Motor Corp. is adding a new line at a plant in southwestern Japan to double production of engines for luxury models. The engine plant, which opened in 2005, marked Toyota's first plant opening in Japan in about 20 years; the new line, starting in 2008, will add 500 jobs.

• Nissan Motor Co. completed a second engine facility last year to make engines for luxury cars and other models. It's expanding another engine plant in Yokohama, southwest of Tokyo.

Honda and Toyota have key North American operations based in Torrance.

Thierry Viadieu, a Nissan executive who has overseen alliances, said the plant openings in Japan mark a new stage of growth from earlier decades when the main goal was simpler: Get out of Japan to produce cars where they're being sold.

Multinational manufacturers need to be sophisticated in their production strategies, coordinating output among their far-flung plants, amid increasingly intense competition, he said.

Nissan, for example, imports all of its Infiniti luxury models sold in North America from Japan -- and for now, that makes sense, said Nissan Chief Operating Officer Toshiyuki Shiga.

"We don't start out with the idea that we need plants in Japan," Shiga said. "Each plant taking up the challenge leads to Nissan's overall competitiveness."

Kazuo Aoki, general manager at the Union of Japanese Scientists and Engineers, an organization that promotes technology, said the fundamentals of ensuring quality are based in Japan, which boasts top parts suppliers and steelmakers.

In the 1980s and 1990s, Japanese automakers busily set up plants abroad, including North America, to cut costs and blunt the "Japan-bashing" among some Americans who blamed them for the loss of U.S. jobs.

Some U.S. legislators have revived complaints about Japan's success at the expense of American manufacturers. Sen. Debbie Stabenow, D-Mich., who represents thousands of Detroit-based auto workers, has said that the Japanese have an unfair edge from a weak yen, which makes it easier to underprice American rivals.

Such complaints have struck a sensitive nerve for some Americans worried about the fates of U.S. auto companies, which are slashing jobs and closing plants.

General Motors Corp. lost $10.4 billion in 2005 but underwent massive restructuring and trimmed its losses to $2 billion in 2006. Ford Motor Co. lost $12.7 billion last year, while DaimlerChrysler has decided to put up money-losing Chrysler for sale.

Toyota is steadily encroaching on their home turf. Autodata Corp.'s figures for March gave Toyota a 16 percent of the U.S. market, behind GM, with 22 percent, and Ford, with 17 percent.

Toyota is exporting nearly half the vehicles it sells from Japan. Last year, the figure was 46 percent, up from about 38 percent in 2005 because of a surge in U.S. demand and the inability of U.S. factories to keep up with demand.

One of Toyota's hot cars, the Prius hybrid, is made only in Japan.

Analysts say the recent production boom in Japan also reflects how Japanese automakers have dispersed production -- small cars and high-end models in Japan, pickup trucks in Thailand, and bigger trucks in the U.S. -- so strong local demand, labor costs, tax laws and other factors make that place the best choice.

The Japanese have much at stake in maintaining the legacy of quality production methods and management philosophies in Japan, said Anand Sharma, co-founder of TBM Consulting Group.

"They have to keep that spirit alive, and they have to have some of that production there so that spirit doesn't fade away," Sharma said.

source :
JAPANESES AUTOMAKERS ENJOY BOOM IN BUSINESS
0 Replies

blatham

Reply Wed 11 Apr, 2007 05:41 pm
Quote:
Cute, yet wrong. (Don't feel bad, you'd have never guessed.)

Well, that's interesting. You frame these issues in much the same manner as our site economist (thomas).

Quote:
You're missing something of the larger point, so I'll guess you haven't been keeping up with the thread.

Larger? Interesting choice of words.

Quote:
I'm not trying to impugn the motives of the scientists per se (and in fact, if you read the actual scientific reports as opposed to things like "executive summaries", most of the scientists involved are considerably less certain than most of the activists!)

Less certain about what? But perhaps you could clarify your earlier comment re scientists on the chase for grant dollars.

Quote:
However, from the view of the scientist, the question is one of theoretical risks versus theoretical costs. Surely you've heard the argument that, since damages due to global warming may be very large, we should act now even though we can't accurately estimate the effects? If you're attacking global warming as an intellectual exercise, that sort of statement is reasonable - spending a little money now to avoid a tremendous expense later is a reasonable exercise.

Those aren't scientific questions at all. They are (valid) policy or economics questions.

Quote:
However, for GM (or any other auto company, or in fact practically all of our heavy industry), the question is not an academic one. The money they have to spend in order to attempt to meet these targets is actual money, not a discounted estimate of future disaster - it has to come out of their budget somewhere.
Sure. But any and all initiatives or policies such a company engages (eg a marketing decision, a research project, retooling, etc) can be described similarly. The decision that Goodyear and GM made to gain control of electric trolley production and then eviscerate production so that they could sell rubber tires and diesel engines was a non-academic decision. The decision that tobacco companies made and make to increase nicotine levels in their products are non-academic decisions. The decision that GM (or was it Chrysler) made to not bother with a recall of their auto with the poorly designed petrol tank (which would ignite in some percentage of rear-end accidents immolating some roughtly determinable number of men or women or children) because economic estimates indicated that resulting law suits and damages would be a smaller dollar figure than the recall...well, there's another non-academic question for ya. Or we could speak about the resistance of the auto industry to seatbelt and air bag inclusion in their products.

Quote:
So who's going to get paid less? Which parts supplier is going to have to close a plant? How many people are put out of work when people spend their money on other cars, made by manufacturers who didn't have to tilt at this particular windmill? (Yes, yes, "it could come out of profits." Have you looked at GM's finances lately?)
Let's not pretend, first of all, that GM's board or its shareholders are going to share your and my empathy for Joe Smith, recently unemployed lineworker at Hubcaps Are Us. But for me and I'm sure for you, you bet there is a moral element to this aspect.

Quote:
I'm certain that you'd agree that, at some level, GM has a responsibility to remain a going concern, keeping its workers employed and that pension fund funded, right? Or are you incapable of making the mental transition between "oh, it's a big company, screw it!" and the human misery that lies behind a statement like that?

That would be level 3. I don't visit it often, but for you... You are making a moral argument but a simplistic one which begs the answer you desire. GM, if we concur that it actually does have moral responsibilities to the community in which it operates and to the employees which make its operations possible, has many other moral responsibilities as well, eg the safety of their product, truth in advertising, physical operations which do not pollute at unreasonable or harmful levels, etc. A business operation has a far greater range of moral responsibilities than simply surviving for the sake of its employees/and or shareholders.

Quote:
As for the rest of it, if we're talking about the value of activism, in this case, precisely what -is- that value? How much are your efforts actually worth? The fact is, you don't know whether this sort of thing will actually be any good or not; from here, it looks like someone shouting, "Hey, if we all piss into the wind at the same time, it will stop blowing!"

Here's where you really sound like an economist. What is, one might ask you, the "precise value" of your posting here? Or, I could ask you to elucidate the precise value of Rosa Parks refusal to move to the back of the bus. Or Jenny Strothers marching in a sufferage protest? Of that odd German fellow nailing stuff to the door of the church? Or Ghandi's life? Or...or...or?

Quote:
That's not to say that it's inevitable, but there are actual figures involved here. You don't know them, though. In fact, I'll ask, are you even interested in those figures? Specifically, I'll re-iterate the list of questions I put up a few posts back. What temperature are we shooting for? How much of a cut in CO2 emissions would be necessary to achieve that temperature? (I'll omit the problem of exporting industry to third-world nations with poor pollution controls, for the moment...) If you can't answer either question, why do you care about the topic?

I don't know those figures. I also don't know that figures related to success rates of coated stents compared to other medical techniques for enhancing blood flow in the heart, but I happily let the boys who know their stuff put two of them into me. I expect you would too. You'd probably care.
0 Replies

georgeob1

Reply Wed 11 Apr, 2007 06:13 pm
Actually the AGW proposition is -- spend enormous sums now to avoid uncertain prospects of spending a little later.

This is hardly a rational economic choice.
0 Replies

Foxfyre

Reply Wed 11 Apr, 2007 07:36 pm
And that wouldn't be a problem except for the phenomenon as Milton Friedman was fond of saying: "The one thing you can be most sure of in this life is that everyone will spend someone else's money more liberally than they will spend their own."
0 Replies

Reply Wed 11 Apr, 2007 11:25 pm
blatham wrote:
Well, that's interesting. You frame these issues in much the same manner as our site economist (thomas).

Guilty as charged - economics minor. ;p

You raise an excellent point that the "global warming issue", if you will, has several aspects across different disciplines.

The first is scientific. Is the world actually heating up? Safe to say yes at this point, isn't it?

The next is also scientific. Is global warming affected by human-produced greenhouse gases? Not quite as safe to say - the best models that we have only give us an imperfect understanding of climate, because climate is dependent not only on a lot of long-term, easy to measure variables, but also on ones that are short-term, chaotic as hell, and simply do not function in the model. Think about the effects of albedo on heat absorption, of cloud coverage on albedo, of climate patterns on cloud coverage. That's not -in- the model. It's not because the modelers don't realize that it's important - it's simply that it's impossible for us to simulate, so what we do is simulate that which we do understand, and then plug in various fudge factors for the stuff we can't model until we get something that looks like it can produce today from yesterday's data. There's quite a bit of uncertainty even now, but for the sake of argument, I won't contest the point here.

The next question is, how MUCH warming? Related, what would be the effects of this warming? We don't really have a good answer for either of these, just some estimates, and these are really susceptible to the particular assumptions and fudges in the model. We can safely say that we're not staring at an extinction-of-humanity problem - we're not as hot as it's been in recorded history. Short of that, there's a lot of wild-assed guesses flying around.

Having gotten this far should give us a notion of how much CO2 equals how much warming. Certain, no, but at least we have numbers to look at.

At this point it becomes an economic issue. What are the costs and benefits observed at any given temperature? What emission level corresponds to that temperature? How much does that level of emissions restrict other economic activity? What methods of amelioration are available to us? Basically, what are our real alternatives?

Once we reach that far, it becomes a political question. CAN we do it? How do the costs compare with all the other calls on the public purse? This is pretty dependent on the economic aspects - or rather, making a political judgment in the absence of the economic aspects is just rash.

If you're questioning what the value of non-economic activities are, well... I could go into the classic discussion of utility, but I'd just sound even more like an economist, heh. However, I'll point out that none of the things you listed were compulsory. To make an analogy closer to the current discussion, there's no reason why Toyota or Honda (or even GM) can't produced a reduced-emissions car and sell as many of 'em as they can get people to buy. However, when you're talking about setting a government regulation to mandate that auto manufacturers produce those models (or worse, not produce any models but those), "will this make GM happy" isn't a consideration. It's not so much to ask, "will making them do it actually do any good?"

Actually, were I in need of heart surgery, I'd read up on the various options. Expert advice is valuable, but it's not the only thing. On the other hand, while your heart surgeon had doubtless implanted several stents before, your climatologist has never before successfully predicted changes in the climate! ;p
0 Replies

blatham

Reply Thu 12 Apr, 2007 05:56 am
Quote:
Guilty as charged - economics minor. ;p
Request for forgiveness under consideration.

Quote:
You raise an excellent point that the "global warming issue", if you will, has several aspects across different disciplines.

The first is scientific. Is the world actually heating up? Safe to say yes at this point, isn't it?

The next is also scientific. Is global warming affected by human-produced greenhouse gases? Not quite as safe to say - the best models that we have only give us an imperfect understanding of climate, because climate is dependent not only on a lot of long-term, easy to measure variables, but also on ones that are short-term, chaotic as hell, and simply do not function in the model. Think about the effects of albedo on heat absorption, of cloud coverage on albedo, of climate patterns on cloud coverage. That's not -in- the model. It's not because the modelers don't realize that it's important - it's simply that it's impossible for us to simulate, so what we do is simulate that which we do understand, and then plug in various fudge factors for the stuff we can't model until we get something that looks like it can produce today from yesterday's data. There's quite a bit of uncertainty even now, but for the sake of argument, I won't contest the point here.

Understood and acknowledged.

Quote:
The next question is, how MUCH warming? Related, what would be the effects of this warming? We don't really have a good answer for either of these, just some estimates, and these are really susceptible to the particular assumptions and fudges in the model. We can safely say that we're not staring at an extinction-of-humanity problem - we're not as hot as it's been in recorded history. Short of that, there's a lot of wild-assed guesses flying around.

Yes, that's how I see it too (from my admittedly dilettantist perspective). Of course, on that scale between 'nuttin happening' and 'extinction of humans' there are a lot of seriously ugly potential outcomes. And there are value questions here which don't resolve easily person to person and for which mathematical models are entirely useless. For example, I am deeply troubled, as a moral matter, by the extinction of a species even if I am inconsistent (cockroaches vs cuddly polar bears).

Quote:
Having gotten this far should give us a notion of how much CO2 equals how much warming. Certain, no, but at least we have numbers to look at.

At this point it becomes an economic issue. What are the costs and benefits observed at any given temperature? What emission level corresponds to that temperature? How much does that level of emissions restrict other economic activity? What methods of amelioration are available to us? Basically, what are our real alternatives?

Once we reach that far, it becomes a political question. CAN we do it? How do the costs compare with all the other calls on the public purse? This is pretty dependent on the economic aspects - or rather, making a political judgment in the absence of the economic aspects is just rash.

Again, yes. But with two significant if difficult provisos. First, the moral issues here which are insufficiently addressed with a Radio Shack calculator and second, the matter of whose data or calculations or public statements and policy recommendations are (or are likely to be) biased such that real states of affairs are purposefully hidden from view.

Quote:
If you're questioning what the value of non-economic activities are, well... I could go into the classic discussion of utility, but I'd just sound even more like an economist, heh. However, I'll point out that none of the things you listed were compulsory. To make an analogy closer to the current discussion, there's no reason why Toyota or Honda (or even GM) can't produced a reduced-emissions car and sell as many of 'em as they can get people to buy. However, when you're talking about setting a government regulation to mandate that auto manufacturers produce those models (or worse, not produce any models but those), "will this make GM happy" isn't a consideration. It's not so much to ask, "will making them do it actually do any good?"

'Actually doing good' seems like it ought to be the goal and the measure. But as I implied, I see little reason to accept the viewpoint of GM or Exxon (or the front groups they have set up and fund) as to what it is that constitutes the 'good' and progress or not towards it.

Quote:
Actually, were I in need of heart surgery, I'd read up on the various options. Expert advice is valuable, but it's not the only thing. On the other hand, while your heart surgeon had doubtless implanted several stents before, your climatologist has never before successfully predicted changes in the climate! ;p
From the onset of symptons to the point where my heart said, "ah...phuck it" was about one hour. I didn't even have time to readjust my aura or polish a crucifix or cast aspersions on George Bush or any of those other normally dependable steps to grace. Research was out of the question. Be forwarned.
0 Replies

parados

Reply Thu 12 Apr, 2007 07:23 am

An interesting analogy and one that seems to ignore many things.

Climatologists have successfully predicted changes in climate. The question is was their prediction better than mere chance? Are they more likely to be accurate than what normal chance would allow. I say yes. That doesn't make them accurate all the time nor even make the success rate better than 50% but then the same can be said about surgeon's implanting stents. They don't have a 100% success rate either.
0 Replies

okie

Reply Thu 12 Apr, 2007 08:03 am
blatham wrote:

Guilty as charged - economics minor.

Welcome to the forum, and refreshing to see another logical opinion here.
0 Replies

Diest TKO

Reply Thu 12 Apr, 2007 09:48 am
Foxfyre wrote:
And that wouldn't be a problem except for the phenomenon as Milton Friedman was fond of saying: "The one thing you can be most sure of in this life is that everyone will spend someone else's money more liberally than they will spend their own."

I think this "phenomenon" is evaluated from the wrong side fo the mirror. I say that people with money are are more comfortable with the people without money spending. Case and point, taxes. The rich fight for tax cuts which in no way affect their sustainablility while lower income families pay taxes which can actually have a detrimental effect on their life.

Either way the government needs money to execute plans etc, but the rich think that the less fortunate need to through in their nickel first.

Being so critical of what finances are needed to address such a global issue is ultimately fopolish on your own behalf. The rain falls on us all, and we all get wet.
0 Replies

Foxfyre

Reply Thu 12 Apr, 2007 09:53 am
Diest TKO wrote:
Foxfyre wrote:

I think this "phenomenon" is evaluated from the wrong side fo the mirror. I say that people with money are are more comfortable with the people without money spending. Case and point, taxes. The rich fight for tax cuts which in no way affect their sustainablility while lower income families pay taxes which can actually have a detrimental effect on their life.

Either way the government needs money to execute plans etc, but the rich think that the less fortunate need to through in their nickel first.

Being so critical of what finances are needed to address such a global issue is ultimately fopolish on your own behalf. The rain falls on us all, and we all get wet.

Yup, but it is the self-proclaimed save-the-planet gurus and scientists who dictate to the rest of us what we must do, what we must pay, what we must sacrifice to combat global warming while they are not scaling back their own lifestyles one iota and, rather than sacrificing, they are personally profiting from their proclamations.

When the Al Gore's of the world start taking the train or bus instead of jetting all over the place private planes; when the big gun gurus and scientists sell their BIG houses and move into environmentally friendly small cottages, when they ALL are driving electric cars instead of their SUVs, Lincolns, and Cadillacs, I would be much more inclined to take them more seriously. As it is, it is hard to believe they're really buying into their own hype.
0 Replies

okie

Reply Thu 12 Apr, 2007 09:54 am
Diest TKO wrote:
The rich fight for tax cuts which in no way affect their sustainablility while lower income families pay taxes which can actually have a detrimental effect on their life.

Low income wage earners often receive more income tax money than they pay in, due to earned income credits. It can amount to thousands of dollars per family, part of the Bush tax cuts that supposedly only rewarded his rich friends. Of course the media does not report this. Check it out.
0 Replies