Global Warming...New Report...and it ain't happy news

parados

Reply Wed 14 Mar, 2007 11:42 am
High Seas wrote:
georgeob1 wrote:

parados wrote:
There is a difference between probability and predictability. Chaos theory means I can't predict where the ball on a roulette wheel will fall on a given spin. But probability theory tells me the likelyhood of it falling into the 00. If I put a second 00 on the wheel, I still can't predict based on chaos theory but I have changed the probability of the ball falling on the 00. I can quite easily figure that probability.

Not all random variables have Normal distributions (I mean the statistical definition of that term) - or even symmetrical ones.

Parados - anyone as thoroughly discredited as yourself on probability theory would do well to stay away from that topic, at least on the selfsame thread.

Our host, Blatham, will tell you about our poker-playing expedition (on an evening when Lola was out of town) in which he discovered there ain't no chaos theory involved - just that some of us will only bet on distributions we estimate to be Poisson; alas, you can't even tell binomial from Cauchy <G>
I see you don't have much to contribute other than personal attacks. Perhaps I am not so discredited as you wish others to believe.
0 Replies

High Seas

Reply Wed 14 Mar, 2007 11:46 am
Nonsense, Parados, but that probability is asymptotically equal to 100% in your case.

Cycl - I'm glad you went back and checked, but you missed the relevant page: 2 more pages will do it.
0 Replies

georgeob1

Reply Wed 14 Mar, 2007 11:49 am
Cycloptichorn wrote:

I think this is rather hyperbolic. My 'side' of the debate are those who are concerned with climate change, whether it's AGW or not.

Cycloptichorn

Then we are on the same side.

(hyperbole?)
0 Replies

georgeob1

Reply Wed 14 Mar, 2007 01:37 pm
High Seas wrote:

Our host, Blatham, will tell you about our poker-playing expedition (on an evening when Lola was out of town) in which he discovered there ain't no chaos theory involved - just that some of us will only bet on distributions we estimate to be Poisson; alas, you can't even tell binomial from Cauchy <G>

It's worse than that! Conditional probabilities; Bayes theorem; non-independent events; sampling with and without replacement -- all offer opportunities to fall into the pit -- in addition to to assumptions about the probability distribution.

Then, of course, there is the human impulse for the irrational draw on an inside straight. Ok, who was the big winner??
0 Replies

Cycloptichorn

Reply Wed 14 Mar, 2007 02:00 pm
georgeob1 wrote:
Cycloptichorn wrote:

I think this is rather hyperbolic. My 'side' of the debate are those who are concerned with climate change, whether it's AGW or not.

Cycloptichorn

Then we are on the same side.

(hyperbole?)

Perhaps I should have been more clear: my side are the ones who are not only concerned, but who think we should start taking preventative measures before the problem grows out of control.

We've discussed different ways to do this before; I don't think the chicken littles should discount the good argument that it's never too early to start preventative medicine. For example, standards which force newer production facilities to be cleaner than old ones used to be, while grandfathering the old ones in - allows society to plug along just fine, but makes changes for the future.

Yet, when this is brought up, you see the worst sort of attacks against those who propose such initiatives, that they are 'anti-business.' I hate that, how people who are concerned about the future of our world are portrayed as some sort of controlling haters.

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies

spendius

Reply Wed 14 Mar, 2007 02:27 pm
Get your eyeballs on the Sunday Times Magazine feechewer about global warming.

It's enough to make a 10 year old howl at the moon.
0 Replies

georgeob1

Reply Wed 14 Mar, 2007 02:31 pm
Cycloptichorn wrote:

Perhaps I should have been more clear: my side are the ones who are not only concerned, but who think we should start taking preventative measures before the problem grows out of control.

So far we are on the same side.

Cycloptichorn wrote:

We've discussed different ways to do this before; I don't think the chicken littles should discount the good argument that it's never too early to start preventative medicine. For example, standards which force newer production facilities to be cleaner than old ones used to be, while grandfathering the old ones in - allows society to plug along just fine, but makes changes for the future.

Yet, when this is brought up, you see the worst sort of attacks against those who propose such initiatives, that they are 'anti-business.' I hate that, how people who are concerned about the future of our world are portrayed as some sort of controlling haters.
Cycloptichorn

I think I agree with the principle you state here, but am confused by the conclusion you draw from it.

For example -- the Bush Administration proposed a relaxation of certain provisions in the Clean Air Act which required that any significant modification to the coal fired power plants that were 'grandfathered in' under the Act, would automatically require that the plants be brought into full compliance with measures enacted long after they were licensed and built. The Bush Administration proposed that modifications that would inprove the plant's efficiency (and therefore reduce its fuel consumption and emissions be allowed, without also requiring full compliance (which in most cases would be both economically and prectically infeasible). The fact is that many such innovations had been deferred by the power companies precisely because of the disincentives built into the act. The environmental community, the AGW zealots and the Democrats rose up in universal condemnation of this proposal, characterizing it as a license for business to make more profits at the expense of the environment -- a bald lie.

Who here is misportraying whom?
0 Replies

Cycloptichorn

Reply Wed 14 Mar, 2007 02:45 pm
georgeob1 wrote:
Cycloptichorn wrote:

So far we are on the same side.

Cycloptichorn wrote:

Cycloptichorn

I think I agree with the principle you state here, but am confused by the conclusion you draw from it.

For example -- the Bush Administration proposed a relaxation of certain provisions in the Clean Air Act which required that any significant modification to the coal fired power plants that were 'grandfathered in' under the Act, would automatically require that the plants be brought into full compliance with measures enacted long after they were licensed and built. The Bush Administration proposed that modifications that would inprove the plant's efficiency (and therefore reduce its fuel consumption and emissions be allowed, without also requiring full compliance (which in most cases would be both economically and prectically infeasible). The fact is that many such innovations had been deferred by the power companies precisely because of the disincentives built into the act. The environmental community, the AGW zealots and the Democrats rose up in universal condemnation of this proposal, characterizing it as a license for business to make more profits at the expense of the environment -- a bald lie.

Who here is misportraying whom?

I'm not exactly sure - that's a complicated situation, lol, let me think about it for a minute.

Of, course I have to keep in mind the possibility that it is you who are mis-portraying some portion of this story, Smile

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies

georgeob1

Reply Wed 14 Mar, 2007 03:32 pm
Cycloptichorn wrote:
I'm not exactly sure - that's a complicated situation, lol, let me think about it for a minute.

Of, course I have to keep in mind the possibility that it is you who are mis-portraying some portion of this story, Smile

Cycloptichorn

A fair reaction. I'm not above the temptation, but have not done so in this case.

It is a significant issue in that about 52% of our electrical power is generated by old, grandfathered coal-fired powerplants. Significant enhancements in combustion control and fuel metering technology have been deferred because of the disincentives built into the Clean Air Act. Very likely some environmentalists would prefer to keep the economic pressure on the owners, so that the plants will be abandoned for other, unnamed technologies. The problem is that the alternatives are much more expensive and that environmentalists generally oppose the construction of new powerplants of any design anywhere.
0 Replies

miniTAX

Reply Wed 14 Mar, 2007 05:41 pm
On a lighter note, this news:
Quote:
A North Pole expedition meant to bring attention to global warming was called off after one of the explorers got frostbite.

Just remind me of last month's congress hearing on GW cancelled because of ... exceptional snow on Capitol Hill. http://images.forum-auto.com/images/perso/1/deux-sans-six.gif
0 Replies

Brand X

Reply Wed 14 Mar, 2007 05:48 pm
I love the last line where it's admitted that global warming is unpredictable.

Quote:
"They were experiencing temperatures that weren't expected with global warming," Atwood said. "But one of the things we see with global warming is unpredictability."
0 Replies

georgeob1

Reply Wed 14 Mar, 2007 07:02 pm
Actually what this 'scientist' meant to say was, "But one of the things we see with the weather is unpredictability."

That, of course is the whole point.
0 Replies

miniTAX

Reply Thu 15 Mar, 2007 01:57 am
georgeob1 wrote:
Actually what this 'scientist' meant to say was, "But one of the things we see with the weather is unpredictability."
A scientist who need a failed Arctic expedition to see that "weather is unpredictable" should be given the igNobel prize. http://images.forum-auto.com/icones/smilies/cry.gif
This year, the prize would go to another who realized the Earth is spinning.
0 Replies

blatham

Reply Thu 15 Mar, 2007 05:20 am
Well, the weather is unpredictable. But that's a relative term. Let's say that the weather is far far less predictable than the acute and beautiful suffering available to those ignored few casting their plaintive cries into the cold cold void.
0 Replies

Foxfyre

Reply Thu 15 Mar, 2007 07:47 am
Do you get the feeling lately that ANY change of any kind in the flora or fauna anywhere on the planet will now be blamed on global warming?

Wednesday, March 14, 2007. 12:03pm (AEDT)
Climate change blamed for cockroach migration
0 Replies

Foxfyre

Reply Thu 15 Mar, 2007 08:07 am
And this from the "We're all doomed, Doomed, DOOMED!!!!" camp.

I did like Paige's phrase "eco-McCarthyism" targeting the skeptics. And I couldn't help but note that it is now all the Republican's fault that the USA has neither acknowledged global warming nor formulated a comprehensive plan to combat global warming. As I see it, the President has gone fully public in acknowledging global warming and has pushed for a number of things that would be positive with or without global warming. Also it was the Democrat president who refused to sign Kyoto and I don't know any Democrats in Congress who were encouraging him to get on board with Kyoto. Or who are pushing Kyoto now for that matter.

The extreme tunnel visioned bias of the US Media can be stunning sometimes. At least Paige was given a voice in the piece here:

Global warming story hits critical massWidespread impacts

"If the scientists are anywhere near right, we can expect massive dislocations," said Fialka, of the Wall Street Journal's Washington, D.C., bureau. As always, the biggest burden will fall on the poor when sea levels rise and disease vectors grow in developing countries, he said, adding that those impacts will subsequently require the charity of developed industrial countries.

The next section of an Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change (IPCC) report, focusing on global warming impacts, is due to be released at a meeting in Belgium next month. A draft version of the report says that, within a few decades, hundreds of millions of people will face water shortages, while tens of millions will be flooded out of their homes. Tropical diseases like malaria will spread, pests like fire ants will thrive and by 2050, polar bears will mostly be found in zoos. By 2080, hundreds of millions of people could face starvation, according to the IPCC draft report.

"We live in a country where more people care about the death of Anna Nicole Smith than the death of a planet," said moderator Judy Muller, a long-time NPR contributor and associate professor at the University of Southern California's Annenberg School of Journalism.

Most of the panelists agreed that there has been a huge change in public perception of the global warming issue just in the past year. After explaining that the story has been reported for several decades, they tried to answer the question of why it has taken so long to catch hold.

The challenge at this point may be explaining the full import of global warming, said ABC News correspondent Bill Blakemore, who's been reporting on the issue for more than two years.

Blakemore, who has covered numerous wars over the years, said global warming is the most challenging story he's worked on.

"It's surreal to have pre-eminent scientists tell us very seriously that civilization as we know it is over," Blakemore said. "The scale is unprecedented. It touches every aspect of life."

Cost and consensusPolitical context

Paige also said he sees a form of eco-McCarthyism on the rise, with the fixation on "consensus" leading to a muzzling of dissenting voices.

"Let's silence everybody who doesn't agree," Paige said, characterizing the mood as he perceives it and claiming that there are legitimate scientists out there who have valid questions about the state of global warming science. But those voices are not being heard, he said, expressing concern about the potential loss of civil liberties in the rush to find a solution to the problem.

"We had a chance to have a reasonable debate," Linden replied. "Instead we had denial. The Bush administration and a Republican Congress had years and years to frame a response to global warming that doesn't involve government regulation," Linden continued.

But that never happened because the Republican leadership never acknowledged that global warming exists, said panelist Margaret Kriz, who covers energy and the environment for the National Journal.

"The people who set the agenda didn't believe, so for all practical purposes, it didn't exist," Kriz said, singling committee chairs like James Inhofe, who loudly claimed that global warming was a hoax, using his leadership role on the Senate Environment and Public Works Committee as his pulpit.

Linden said those denialists are now losing credibility by changing their tune.

"They're now saying the climate is changing, but that it's natural," he scoffed. "It's not as if global warming will only hit liberals. It's an equal-opportunity destroyer. And the hardest thing of all will be admitting that those insufferable environmentalists were right," Linden said.

'Inconvenient' presentation
0 Replies

georgeob1

Reply Thu 15 Mar, 2007 08:40 pm
miniTAX wrote:
georgeob1 wrote:
A scientist who need a failed Arctic expedition to see that "weather is unpredictable" should be given the igNobel prize. http://images.forum-auto.com/icones/smilies/cry.gif
This year, the prize would go to another who realized the Earth is spinning.

... or that sunspots are associated with large variations in the energy radiated from the sun.

... or that instabilities in the the viscous flow of air or water cannot be accurately modelled numerically.

... or that the climate of the earth has never been stable over geologic time.

... or that reversals (or even collapse) of the earth's magnetic field have happened hundreds of times in the geological record -- and will likely happen again, and that each such event has enormous potential to alter the radiant energy from the sun reaching the surface of the earth.

... or that water vapor is the overwhelmingly greatest contributor to the greenhouse effect.

etc, etc.
0 Replies

okie

Reply Thu 15 Mar, 2007 10:00 pm
georgeob1 wrote:

... or that the climate of the earth has never been stable over geologic time.

One of the points I try to remind people is that nature, by definition, is cyclical. It always has been and always will be. Virtually everything in nature is cyclical. In fact, I don't know of anything right now that does not have some kind of cycle attached to it. Whether you talk about the sun, the moon, tides, earthquakes, seasons, night and day, famines, times of plenty, droughts, wet periods, reproduction of animals, humans, disease cycles, rarity and over population of insects, extinction of species and rise of new species, flu viruses, the list is endless, perhaps even wars, which are also a product of nature, human nature.

I have also brought up the fact that man has intelligence given him by nature to invent machines, which are actually part of nature, so the production of CO2 by man, for example, is not really totally artificial. It is spawned by natural intelligence, all part of nature. Just as beaver dams are part of nature, so are humans' houses, cars, airplanes, and all the rest.

This does not precude the fact that man is also intelligent enough to mitigate some of the hazards he has produced, so the mitigation is also part of nature. But the debate should be whether everything is worth mitigating. Does a beaver mitigate the effect of his dams?

To make a long story short, if anyone believes the climate should be static, they are simply ignorant. And if anyone believes any climatic change is bad by definition, that is also ignorant.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Sat 17 Mar, 2007 12:07 am
An interview with Sir Nicholas Stern in today's Guardian:

Stern consequences

Quote:
He is reluctant to take credit for the current focus on environmental matters. "Others have made their contribution and I hope we made ours," he says. That contribution, running to almost 700 pages, said the expected increase in extreme weather, with the associated - and expensive - problems of agricultural failure, water scarcity, disease and mass migration, means global warming could swallow up to 20% of the world's GDP. The cost of addressing the problem, it said, could be limited to about 1% of GDP, provided it starts on a serious scale within 10 to 20 years.
... ... ...

Sir Nicholas has been given much of the credit for the fact that global warming now tops the public and political agendas. His review last October was hailed by Tony Blair as the most important document to land on his desk, and no discussion of climate change is complete without a reference to Sir Nicholas's headline conclusion - that it is cheaper to tackle the issue than to wait and deal with the consequences.
But there has also been criticism. William Nordhaus, the esteemed Yale University professor of economics, said Sir Nicholas's unambiguous conclusions brought to mind the one-handed economist demanded by former US president Harry Truman, who complained that they would always say on the one hand this and the other hand that.

There has been gossip about the reasons Sir Nicholas will leave the Treasury at the end of this month to return to academic life at the London School of Economics. And the review's support for action to curb greenhouse gas emissions, just as the government is pushing for domestic and international measures to do just that, has even been labelled as another dodgy dossier.

For either a green prophet of doom or a shady conspirator, Sir Nicholas seems relaxed. He admits that he flies too much and has yet to replace all the lightbulbs in his house with low energy versions. If all the attention has gone to his head, he does not show it.

He is reluctant to take credit for the current focus on environmental matters. "Others have made their contribution and I hope we made ours," he says. That contribution, running to almost 700 pages, said the expected increase in extreme weather, with the associated - and expensive - problems of agricultural failure, water scarcity, disease and mass migration, means global warming could swallow up to 20% of the world's GDP. The cost of addressing the problem, it said, could be limited to about 1% of GDP, provided it starts on a serious scale within 10 to 20 years.

The simplicity of this headline finding cut through the complications and caveats (the report itself warns the figures should not be taken too literally) and shifted the debate into new territory, at least in the UK. Although the report was written mainly for an international audience, it remains to be seen whether it, and Sir Nicholas's globetrotting, will kick start the stalled negotiations on a successor to the Kyoto Protocol. He says: "Everywhere we went, people have been engaged in the discussion, which is very healthy. Now everybody has to find their own way to what they conclude from that."

The review has its roots in the 2005 G8 summit at Gleneagles. Sir Nicholas says: "There were two subjects, Africa and climate change. The previous year I'd written a report for the Commission for Africa. We got quite a long way on Africa and Gordon [Brown] felt this was very much on the basis of serious, careful analysis." The chancellor asked Sir Nicholas to perform a similar analysis to push forward the international effort on global warming. "Not to look for consensus, but to establish some of the basic issues and conclusions."

Chief among those is that a failure to cut emissions will be devastating. Critics such as Richard Tol of the Economic and Social Research Institute in Dublin complain that the report's conclusions are "alarmist and incompetent" and argue that it should be seen as a political document, not an impartial assessment of existing knowledge.

Sir Nicholas says: "It's about providing an analytical basis for policy, whilst at the same time trying to be specific about policy. It's not a political document in the sense of making a narrow party case or a narrow case for a particular position. It's false to suggest there was any view on the way this should come out at the beginning."

Critics have focused on the way the report treats future generations, which will be most affected by decisions we make today because it takes time for the heat trapped by our carbon emissions to build up. Much of what is going to happen over the next 30 or 40 years is already determined.

So the policy decisions we take now in terms of reducing emissions will have implications in 50, 100 or 150 years. Sir Nicholas believes the damage future generations will suffer at our hands is greater than generally perceived. Other economists, including Professor Nordhaus, disagreed and an academic bun fight ensued.

Sir Nicholas says: "Many other economists have taken [our] position so we're not peculiar in this at all." Some climate change sceptics tried to portray these disagreements as undermining the case for action. In fact, even the most strident of his academic tormentors also stressed the need to reduce emissions.

Sir Nicholas says his team also took a different approach in the way they treated the scientific evidence. Rather than just working with the most likely scenarios, they took into account the smaller chances of far more severe events unfolding. And those events tend to be the most expensive. "You take into account the different probabilities and what kind of damages could follow," he says. "And at each stage where you've got a 'could', you've got a probability distribution. So you have to build that into the story. We're starting to be able to do that."

... ... ...

0 Replies

Foxfyre

Reply Sat 17 Mar, 2007 10:15 am
With just about all the pro-AGW spokesmen operating on a do-as-I-say instead of a do-as-I-do agenda, I wonder how many people they will inspire to do anything proactive instead of just spouting off and posting on message boards? It really is difficult to take these guys seriously.

http://images.ucomics.com/comics/jh/2007/jh070316.gif

Quote:
in Belgium, Al Gore is looked upon as a hero, a superman, the only man in the world who can save the planet. And the discussion about climate change in the media and among politicians is not about the scientific data and conclusions, but only about the question whether we are doing enough to fight climate change and whether we are making enough new laws to save our planet
SOURCE________________
0 Replies