Global Warming...New Report...and it ain't happy news

Foxfyre

Reply Sun 11 Mar, 2007 07:55 am
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Sun 11 Mar, 2007 08:13 am
Foxfyre wrote:
Well I think credible people don't compromise professionalism in the interest of brevity. To state unprovable scientific absolutes to criticize an opposing scientific opinion is unprofessional.

That would lead to the consequence that credible scientist couldn't write letters to the editors of "normal" papers.

Well, I do believe that people interested in the climatologic science done at Natural Environment Research Council, the University of Reading, the Imperial College London, the University of Oxford, the University of Exeter and the QUEST Programme are already informed about it by various other sources.
-------------

So you liked that program, Foxfyre, and agree with it?

Do you think, everything was shown in the correct scientic and professional manner? (NB: it was a documentary running over nearly two hours and not a Letter to the Editor)

Would do you think how the various persons "critised" others? What that done professionally? (Again, it wasn't a short film.)
0 Replies

Foxfyre

Reply Sun 11 Mar, 2007 08:23 am
Walter Hinteler wrote:
Foxfyre wrote:
Well I think credible people don't compromise professionalism in the interest of brevity. To state unprovable scientific absolutes to criticize an opposing scientific opinion is unprofessional.

That would lead to the consequence that credible scientist couldn't write letters to the editors of "normal" papers.

Well, I do believe that people interested in the climatologic science done at Natural Environment Research Council, the University of Reading, the Imperial College London, the University of Oxford, the University of Exeter and the QUEST Programme are already informed about it by various other sources.
-------------

So you liked that program, Foxfyre, and agree with it?

Do you think, everything was shown in the correct scientic and professional manner? (NB: it was a documentary running over nearly two hours and not a Letter to the Editor)

Would do you think how the various persons "critised" others? What that done professionally? (Again, it wasn't a short film.)

I haven't seen the program and have no opinion at all about it. I hope it did represent the point of view of the AGW skeptics accurately. I do have a problem with scientists who state unprovable scientific absolutes and I have a HUGE problem with those who presume to silence anyone offering a different scientific opinion.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Sun 11 Mar, 2007 08:26 am
Foxfyre wrote:

I haven't seen the program and have no opinion at all about it. I hope it did represent the point of view of the AGW skeptics accurately. I do have a problem with scientists who state unprovable scientific absolutes and I have a HUGE problem with those who presume to silence anyone offering a different scientific opinion.

Well, those Letters to the Editor are about the program and/or the critics about the program here in the previous Observer.

Where do those named in my quote above scientists state unprovable scientific absolutes?

Does your response mean that those to be heard/seen on Channel 4 are are provable? Or no absolutes?
0 Replies

Foxfyre

Reply Sun 11 Mar, 2007 08:34 am
Read the letter again Walter. It is making unqualified statements re global warming and stating them as absolutes. Had they prefaced their remarks that "models suggest......" or "there is significant evidence for....." or some other qualifying factor in their statements, I would have no problem with them. But they come across as fanatics who are convinced they know it all and will brook no point of view other than their own.

I prefer this point of view re a discussion of the film:

Quote:
Philip Stott, professor emeritus of biogeography at the School of Oriental and African Studies in London who also features in the film, warned the issue was too complex to be down to one single factor, whether CO2 or clouds.

He said: "The greenhouse effect theory worried me from the start because you can't say that just one factor can have this effect.

"The system is too complex to say exactly what the effect of cutting back on CO2 production would be, or indeed of continuing to produce CO2.

"It's ridiculous to see politicians arguing over whether they will allow the global temperature to rise by 2C or 3C."

Mr Stott said the film could mark the point where scientists advocating the greenhouse effect theory, began to lose the argument.

He continued: "It is a brave programme at the moment to give excluded voices their say, and maybe it is just the beginning.

"At the moment, there is almost a McCarthyism movement in science where the greenhouse effect is like a puritanical religion and this is dangerous."

In the programme Mr Calder said: "The greenhouse effect is seen as a religion and if you don't agree, you are a heretic."

He added: "However, I think this programme will help further debate and scientists not directly involved in global warming studies may begin to study what is being said, become more open-minded and more questioning, but this will happen slowly."
SOURCE
0 Replies

cjhsa

Reply Sun 11 Mar, 2007 08:36 am
The world hates the USA and GW Bush because we of course caused 9/11 and then invaded a very world friendly country. Global warming is going to kill us all, and Al Gore is an oscar winner.

Thank you liberal wack-nut media!
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Sun 11 Mar, 2007 08:40 am
Foxfyre wrote:
Read the letter again Walter. It is making unqualified statements re global warming and stating them as absolutes. Had they prefaced their remarks that "models suggest......" or "there is significant evidence for....." or some other qualifying factor in their statements, I would have no problem with them. But they come across as fanatics who are convinced they know it all and will brook no point of view other than their own.

Quote:
[...]

That's not a Letter to the Editor but he's -partly- quoted in that magazine.

You studied journalism at university, Foxfyre, and worked with various papers.
You surely know the difference - I do remember what I work it is to shorten those page-long ltters to some readable short paragraphe when I had to do it.

And again: these are responses not only to that Channel 4 program but (mainly) to the report here by McKie.

I've read that report as well as I've seen the program (though that not completely, I must admit).
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Sun 11 Mar, 2007 08:42 am
cjhsa wrote:
The world hates the USA and GW Bush because we of course caused 9/11 and then invaded a very world friendly country. Global warming is going to kill us all, and Al Gore is an oscar winner.

Thank you liberal wack-nut media!

Neither the Channel 4 program had anything about such nor the critics to that program or the previous report about it in the Observer.
0 Replies

Foxfyre

Reply Sun 11 Mar, 2007 08:48 am
Walter Hinteler wrote:
Foxfyre wrote:

Quote:
[...]

That's not a Letter to the Editor but he's -partly- quoted in that magazine.

You studied journalism at university, Foxfyre, and worked with various papers.
You surely know the difference - I do remember what I work it is to shorten those page-long ltters to some readable short paragraphe when I had to do it.

And again: these are responses not only to that Channel 4 program but (mainly) to the report here by McKie.

I've read that report as well as I've seen the program (though that not completely, I must admit).
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Sun 11 Mar, 2007 09:02 am
Foxfyre wrote:
Not a letter to the editor? It sure appeared to be a letter to somebody.

I was referring to your link above which was the announcment report (published on March 4) of the Channel 4 program 'The Great Global Warming Swindle' (broadcasted on March 8).

Quote:
"Lifestyle Extra" is "a website [is] run by a small team of developers whose job it is to collate relevant, interesting, dynamic content from various sources, in an easy-to-use format, that users appreciate".
0 Replies

hamburger

Reply Sun 11 Mar, 2007 09:47 am
foxfire wrote :

Quote:
Science is pretty solidly unified--there is pretty much a universal consensus even--that AIDS is 100% preventable. All that is required to combat Aids is to be in a mutually monogamous relationship with an uninfected partner, don't share needles with infected people, and carefully screen blood etc. before exposing somebody to it, and be born to parents who are not HIV positive. It is pretty indisputable that everybody who does this will be in no danger of contracting AIDS.

There is no universal consensus re preventing global warming however, and even where consensus exists, there is a pretty good margin of error allowed.

I think there is no way to realistically compare the prevention of AIDS with the prevention of global warming.

usually children don't get to pick their parents .
hbg
0 Replies

miniTAX

Reply Sun 11 Mar, 2007 10:23 am
hamburger wrote:
i have probably found the best and easily understandable information re. global warming on the "lloyd's of london" website - see link at bottom ....

LLOYD'S OF LONDON
hbg, thank you for your link.
Just a remark: your link says this in bold
"Fact: Last year, natural catastrophes killed 97,000 people and cost the insurance industry $83 billion - more than ever before"
I found this kind of statement doubiously misleading and once again, I raise the question of conflict of interests. Common sense would say : you can't use absolute cost but only normalised cost ! World GDP has increased by more than 1600% in one century, meaning that the average home is way richer "than ever before", so with more things to be damaged "than ever before" but also with premium prices for insurance company higher "than ever before".

My mother would say don't trust the realter explaining the cracks in the wall of your future home, trust an independant carpenter. So I wouldn't trust the insurer for climate change impacts questions.

And if I read a risk assessment expert, I would hear quite another voice.
Here are some conclusions of a workshop on "climate change and disaster losses" sponsored by Munich Re and organized in Germany. Not really something to get hysterical about isn't it ? (except if you want to squeeze out more bucks from the insurees)
Quote:
(emphasis mine)
11. Because of issues related to data quality, the stochastic nature of extreme event impacts, length of time series,
and various societal factors present in the disaster loss record, it is still not possible to determine the portion of
the increase in damages that might be attributed to climate change due to GHG emissions
12. For future decades the IPCC (2001) expects increases in the occurrence and/or intensity of some extreme
events as a result of anthropogenic climate change. Such increases will further increase losses in the absence of
disaster reduction measures.
13. In the near future the quantitative link (attribution) of trends in storm and flood losses to climate changes
related to GHG emissions is unlikely to be answered unequivocally.

0 Replies

miniTAX

Reply Sun 11 Mar, 2007 10:27 am
Walter Hinteler wrote:
Especially for miniTAX:

http://i16.tinypic.com/2nqy80k.jpg

:wink:
Thanks Walter.
But what environmental crime had your parents committed before 1950 to have warmer winters by then, I wonder Laughing
BTW, you'll note there are 2 benefits versus 1 drawback of warm weather: vegetable prices down and bustling eateries versus less activities for ski resort (everybody knows that ALL French go to ski resorts and just a few eat vegetables). I'll take the benefits.
0 Replies

miniTAX

Reply Sun 11 Mar, 2007 10:35 am
For those who wish, here is online the full documentary previously cited. Maybe Parados may look at the CO2 moments in the film since I've given up explaining him the CO2 cycle without images :wink:

The great global warming spindle[/size]
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Sun 11 Mar, 2007 10:52 am
miniTAX wrote:
But what environmental crime had your parents committed before 1950 to have warmer winters by then, I wonder

I don't know about the environmental crimes my parents did before 1950 - I'm glad, they didn't do any during the Nazi regime.
0 Replies

parados

Reply Sun 11 Mar, 2007 10:57 am
Quote:
What does this mean relative to the global warming doomsday scenarios? The prediction (say) that the Atlantic conveyor current that transports heat from the tropics to the Arctic might shut down owing to the melting of the Ice cap cannot be supported by any analysis of the model for atmosphere and oceanic flows. Convective and density induced circulation in liquids is highly complex and easily motivated by even small differences in the absence of other forces.
There is where you lose me again george. Since the system is so complex then you can't predict that the current will continue to flow even without melting ice caps. That would mean it is as likely for the system to stop flowing tomorrow as it is for it to continue to flow would it not?

This also leads to the statement that an analysis of the models can't predict that they currents won't shut down. Again, this leads us back to the 50/50 argument. Even the scientists that proposed that this might happen wouldn't give it a 50% chance of occurring.
0 Replies

parados

Reply Sun 11 Mar, 2007 11:04 am
miniTAX wrote:
For those who wish, here is online the full documentary previously cited. Maybe Parados may look at the CO2 moments in the film since I've given up explaining him the CO2 cycle without images :wink:

The great global warming spindle[/size]

Considering you still have not told us where all the CO2 from fossil fuels has gone mini, I see no reason to believe you understand a damn thing about the CO2 cycle.

1. We have an increase in CO2 in the atmosphere.
2. We have burned fossil fuel which gives off CO2 into the atmosphere
3. You claimed the increase in CO2 in the atmosphere was caused by the increase in heat and not vice versa.
4. The only reason you gave for that increase in CO2 was the ocean was the source.

So.. where did the CO2 from the fossil fuels dissappear to? Feel free to reference the CO2 cycle. I seem to understand it better than you do.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Sun 11 Mar, 2007 11:05 am
miniTAX wrote:
... sponsored by Munich Re and organized in Germany...

München Re on "Georisks":
Quote:
It is up to the state to take proactive measures against natural catastrophes by passing appropriate laws (e.g. regarding building safety and land use). It is also the state's responsibility to give the public basic protection and issue timely warnings.

Nevertheless: Foxfyre abd you have convinced me by now:

climate change is either un-scientific or makes everyday-life much better.
0 Replies

Foxfyre

Reply Sun 11 Mar, 2007 12:55 pm
hamburger wrote:
foxfire wrote :

Quote:
Science is pretty solidly unified--there is pretty much a universal consensus even--that AIDS is 100% preventable. All that is required to combat Aids is to be in a mutually monogamous relationship with an uninfected partner, don't share needles with infected people, and carefully screen blood etc. before exposing somebody to it, and be born to parents who are not HIV positive. It is pretty indisputable that everybody who does this will be in no danger of contracting AIDS.

There is no universal consensus re preventing global warming however, and even where consensus exists, there is a pretty good margin of error allowed.

I think there is no way to realistically compare the prevention of AIDS with the prevention of global warming.

usually children don't get to pick their parents .
hbg

That's very true and a baby born HIV positive is a pure tragedy but that is still one of the sources of HIV. This is one of the strongest reasons to convince the adults to not engage in behavior that spreads this disease and we would then see it essentially vanish from the Earth within a generation. Human beings are capable of eliminating HIV from the entire population. We know how to do that whether or not we will likely do it.

In contrast no amount of effort by huimankind is likely to eliminate CO2 from the atmosphere or the primary sources of CO2 and the debate is to determine what, if anything, we should be doing about that.
0 Replies

Foxfyre

Reply Sun 11 Mar, 2007 01:10 pm
Walter Hinteler wrote:
miniTAX wrote:
... sponsored by Munich Re and organized in Germany...

München Re on "Georisks":
Quote:
It is up to the state to take proactive measures against natural catastrophes by passing appropriate laws (e.g. regarding building safety and land use). It is also the state's responsibility to give the public basic protection and issue timely warnings.

Nevertheless: Foxfyre abd you have convinced me by now:

climate change is either un-scientific or makes everyday-life much better.

I don't know. Would you call climate change scientific? Is the Earth or moon or stars or the wind or a comet scientific? Or are these just things that exist that science can describe, evaluate, measure, and/or explain?

I think science is pretty good at showing that climate change can be beneficial or non beneficial for the living things on Earth depending on what the change is. There is no rhyme or reason to what prompts a New Mexico pinon tree to produce pinon nuts, but in the years a lot of the trees do, the pinon and mountain jays reproduce like crazy. In the years they don't, the jays sometimes don't even build a nest. I suspect that should the trees stop producing at all we would see few jays in these parts.

I am sure that broad long term climate shifts cause humans and other living things to migrate and/or go dormant or become extinct while new species evolve. And I'm not at all convinced that there is anything we can or should do about that.
0 Replies