Global Warming...New Report...and it ain't happy news

Foxfyre

Reply Mon 5 Mar, 2007 01:16 pm
Walter Hinteler wrote:
Foxfyre wrote:
That some non-climatologists have reviewed a paper and signed off that it looks good to them is not persuasive to me.

However, Allègre, a retired geochemist, is persasive. (He' still working with the Institut de Physique du Globe de Paris [geology, geochemistry, geophysics, and seismology], so the retirement is not a problem.)

Why in this case?

Not to me. I can read reasonably well and saw that he was not a climatologist. But when people start throwing out the number of 1300 or 1500 or "thousands of' scientists or 'almost all credible scientists' etc. as being on board with global warming, they don't seem to care what the person's expertise or discipline is either. So the issue is not one of credibility so much as an issue of support for AGW. Can you say whether all those "thousands" of scientists who signed on to the theory of global warming are active in their disciplines? I don't think anybody ever asked.

Do you see it is a problem?

(P.S. Just because a person retires, all his expertise and/or knowledge does not just fly out the window you know.)
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Mon 5 Mar, 2007 01:25 pm
No, it's not a problem for me as long as they've worked on this subject.
0 Replies

georgeob1

Reply Mon 5 Mar, 2007 01:27 pm
Steve 41oo wrote:
The position of the sceptics really puzzles me.

No-one[/b] denies that CO2 is a greenhouse gas. It's transparent to high frequency radiation from the sun, but absorbs the lower freqency radiation reflected from the earth's surface. Furthermore no one denies that there is considerably more CO2 in the atmosphere than before industrialisation. (When we started releasing billions of tonnes of CO2 in a geological blink of the eye, which had hitherto been trapped for eons).

The standard position is that warming is thus anthropogenic, i.e. is a result of man's activities.

But lets take the sceptical argument that warming has caused increased CO2 concentration, and that the Sun is the fundamental culprit. If[/b] that is the case, is that really justification for the continued and unregulated spewing out of carbon dioxide which we all agree is a greenhouse gas? If there is nothing we can do to turn the sun down a bit, dont we have just the same obligation not to make the situation worse by pumping out vast quantities of a known greenhouse gas?

The sceptics position seems to be one of despair. "There is nothing we can do about warming, so turn up the air conditioning while we still have enough fuel".

Steve, There are some important omissions and flaws in your argument above, as well as some undeniable truths. We agree on the effect of the industrial age and rising human population on the CO2 content of the atmosphere, and that this contributes to observed warming.

However, given that the earth's geological and climatilogical history is so continuously variable, we don't agree on the notion that what is observed is, or will continue to be, the only or even the dominant effect on climate change.

Science has learned a great deal about the dynamic behavior of coupled, highly non-linear systems, and the practical limits on mathematically modelling them, during the last several decades. The most fundamental new understanding comes in what is popularly called chaos theory. It, itself, arose from an early attempt to use modern computing power to model and accurately forecast weather patterns locally and across large areas. The attempt failed - and it stil fails - because of what was called "sensitive dependence on initial conditions". That means that such mathematical models quickly yield vastly different results when even the most infinitesmal change is made to the starting conditions. The models happily chug along, producing distributions that look like weather, but bear only a random connection with what actually unfolds in the real world. Moreover the underlying problem is mathematically intractable: there is no level of initial precision able to eliminate the large discrepancies.

The various numerical models used to forecast the shifts in ocean currents and climatological pattern that get so much public attention all have that characteristic and fundamental limitation. You may ask, "Why, knowing all that, do they publish these results?" I don't really know the answer. Perhaps it is because they have nothing better to go on; the result is, at least possible; and the publication gets them lots of attention, prominence, and further research grants. You may also ask, "Why does the public so blithely accept these forecasts, when they know, from their own experience, that meteroroligists (scientists) cannot even forecast the occurrence of a major storm a few weeks from the present?" I don't know the answer to that one either. Perhaps I should put the question to you.

There are other interesting properties of chaotic dynamic systems. They are somewhat self-regulating and, though their variations and continuing excursions are inherently unpredictable, their average behavior tends to repeat itself. They tend, in the long term, to damp out the effects of external changes. This is why the almanac and other empirical predictions of average climatology are practically useful. What implications this may have for the case of human generated increases in CO2 deposits in the atmosphere are hard to tell, but they do suggest that nature tends to resist unbounded excursions due to single variables. This is also a well-known principle of empirical science.
0 Replies

parados

Reply Mon 5 Mar, 2007 01:28 pm
Are you saying that all those scientists that worked on the IPCC are crackpots? Please provide some evidence to back up that they are. Or are you able to discount their science simply because you disagree with it?
0 Replies

Cycloptichorn

Reply Mon 5 Mar, 2007 01:29 pm
georgeob1 wrote:
Steve 41oo wrote:
The position of the sceptics really puzzles me.

No-one[/b] denies that CO2 is a greenhouse gas. It's transparent to high frequency radiation from the sun, but absorbs the lower freqency radiation reflected from the earth's surface. Furthermore no one denies that there is considerably more CO2 in the atmosphere than before industrialisation. (When we started releasing billions of tonnes of CO2 in a geological blink of the eye, which had hitherto been trapped for eons).

The standard position is that warming is thus anthropogenic, i.e. is a result of man's activities.

But lets take the sceptical argument that warming has caused increased CO2 concentration, and that the Sun is the fundamental culprit. If[/b] that is the case, is that really justification for the continued and unregulated spewing out of carbon dioxide which we all agree is a greenhouse gas? If there is nothing we can do to turn the sun down a bit, dont we have just the same obligation not to make the situation worse by pumping out vast quantities of a known greenhouse gas?

The sceptics position seems to be one of despair. "There is nothing we can do about warming, so turn up the air conditioning while we still have enough fuel".

Steve, There are some important omissions and flaws in your argument above, as well as some undeniable truths. We agree on the effect of the industrial age and rising human population on the CO2 content of the atmosphere, and that this contributes to observed warming.

However, given that the earth's geological and climatilogical history is so continuously variable, we don't agree on the notion that what is observed is, or will continue to be, the only or even the dominant effect on climate change.

Science has learned a great deal about the dynamic behavior of coupled, highly non-linear systems, and the practical limits on mathematically modelling them, during the last several decades. The most fundamental new understanding comes in what is popularly called chaos theory. It, itself, arose from an early attempt to use modern computing power to model and accurately forecast weather patterns locally and across large areas. The attempt failed - and it stil fails - because of what was called "sensitive dependence on initial conditions". That means that such mathematical models quickly yield vastly different results when even the most infinitesmal change is made to the starting conditions. The models happily chug along, producing distributions that look like weather, but bear only a random connection with what actually unfolds in the real world. Moreover the underlying problem is mathematically intractable: there is no level of initial precision able to eliminate the large discrepancies.

The various numerical models used to forecast the shifts in ocean currents and climatological pattern that get so much public attention all have that characteristic and fundamental limitation. You may ask, "Why, knowing all that, do they publish these results?" I don't really know the answer. Perhaps it is because they have nothing better to go on; the result is, at least possible; and the publication gets them lots of attention, prominence, and further research grants. You may also ask, "Why does the public so blithely accept these forecasts, when they know, from their own experience, that meteroroligists (scientists) cannot even forecast the occurrence of a major storm a few weeks from the present?" I don't know the answer to that one either. Perhaps I should put the question to you.

There are other interesting properties of chaotic dynamic systems. They are somewhat self-regulating and, though their variations and continuing excursions are inherently unpredictable, their average behavior tends to repeat itself. They tend, in the long term, to damp out the effects of external changes. This is why the almanac and other empirical predictions of average climatology are practically useful. What implications this may have for the case of human generated increases in CO2 deposits in the atmosphere are hard to tell, but they do suggest that nature tends to resist unbounded excursions due to single variables. This is also a well-known principle of empirical science.

Imagine dealing with, learning about, and attempting to operate an engine that you didn't understand. Would you utilize caution, or not?

The AGW wackos demanding that we return to the caves are one thing; advising caution is a whole other matter. We are not currently acting very cautious while dealing with a system which we effect, but do not understand.

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies

kelticwizard

Reply Mon 5 Mar, 2007 01:30 pm
But the fact is, after telling us that she bases her opinion on"credible climatologists", Foxfyre spend a whole post quoting an article about a geochemist who converted to her side-not a climatologist.
0 Replies

cjhsa

Reply Mon 5 Mar, 2007 01:31 pm
You have a 50-50 chance of being right. It's either gonna get warmer, or colder. Pick one.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Mon 5 Mar, 2007 01:33 pm
Foxfyre wrote:

(P.S. Just because a person retires, all his expertise and/or knowledge does not just fly out the window you know.)

Disn't notice that sentence when I posted.

As well as you perhaps overead what I posted about the retirement and what his academic work is/was about.

Generally, I think, people don't loose their scientific credentials at all with their retirement. Sometimes, perhaps even mostly, their voice is better heard afterwards.
0 Replies

Foxfyre

Reply Mon 5 Mar, 2007 01:39 pm
kelticwizard wrote:
But the fact is, after telling us that she bases her opinion on"credible climatologists", Foxfyre spend a whole post quoting an article about a geochemist who converted to her side-not a climatologist.

Could you cite where I told anybody that I base my opinion on credible climatologists? Could you have the decency to at least reference my comments re the scientist in question?

I swear when somebody becomes a rabid liberal, space aliens visit and remove cognitive ability to read what's there and installs trick mirrors that make people see all sorts of things that don't exist. (For the humor impaired, this is an exaggeration for emphasis, not that I think the liberals can understand that.)

I really do insist that I be quoted and characterized accurately by those who seem to be unable to articulate their own convictions but devote their waking hours attempting to excoriate and discredit others.
0 Replies

Foxfyre

Reply Mon 5 Mar, 2007 01:47 pm
parados wrote:
Are you saying that all those scientists that worked on the IPCC are crackpots? Please provide some evidence to back up that they are. Or are you able to discount their science simply because you disagree with it?

If I was saying that all those scientists that worked on the IPCC were crackpots, you would have found something that even approximated that particular language or reasonable facsimile. (Geez, the space alien business must be booming these days.)
0 Replies

old europe

Reply Mon 5 Mar, 2007 02:09 pm
Foxfyre wrote:
Could you cite where I told anybody that I base my opinion on credible climatologists?

I don't think that anybody accused you of basing your opinion on credible climatologists, Foxy...
0 Replies

parados

Reply Mon 5 Mar, 2007 02:10 pm
cjhsa wrote:
You have a 50-50 chance of being right. It's either gonna get warmer, or colder. Pick one.
Yep. But when Richard Lindzen who also said it was 50/50 was given the opportunity to bet on it getting colder in the next 20 years at 2:1 odds in his favor he declined. He suggested he would make the bet if it was 50:1 odds

I guess he believes so much in his ideas that he isn't willing to bet on the same odds he says it is.
0 Replies

Steve 41oo

Reply Mon 5 Mar, 2007 03:54 pm
cjhsa wrote:
Very silly argument. Either the sun's gonna get up tomorrow or it wont. Pick one. Either the bus arrives or it dont. Pick one. 50/50? I dont think so.

In a two horse race the horse with three legs tends to come second. Why dont you engage brain before letting fly with fingers and keyboard?
0 Replies

miniTAX

Reply Mon 5 Mar, 2007 04:41 pm
parados wrote:
Do you know how many they are, "all those" scientists that worked on the IPCC report ? About 400 authors ! No more.
All in all, you have about 2500 scientists involved in the report, most of them are reviewers, ie they can review , criticize or even appeal to the pope but if the authors decided NOT to include their review, their point will NOT be on the IPCC report.

Just to compare, this year is christianed the Polar Year, lauching intense studies & research about the poles. Guess how many people will work on the subject: 50,000. Just for the poles!!!
So, the so called scientific "consensus" about AGW is a joke. The very fact that politicians and activists are so desperate for a consensus shows that it is about anything except science.
0 Replies

okie

Reply Mon 5 Mar, 2007 09:03 pm
A little investigation into the polar bear scare. We all are aware of pictures of helpless polar bears clinging to pieces of ice, drifting helplessly into the sunset, to starve or drown in the open seas. Well, guess what, polar bears enjoy swimming for long distances, and this is their habitat. Also, populations of polar bears are apparently not decreasing, but probably increasing. This site claims the following:

"Just last week I posted a piece at this blog stating that despite claims in the popular press and scientific literature to the contrary, polar bear numbers are actually increasing. I wrote that numbers have increased from about 5,000 to 25,000 over the last 30 years."

http://www.jennifermarohasy.com/blog/archives/001826.html

Another inconvenient truth for the environmentalist whackos and global warmers.
0 Replies

gustavratzenhofer

Reply Mon 5 Mar, 2007 09:05 pm
I'm sure there's a site out there, okie, that validates the existence of dinosaurs. Would you believe it?
0 Replies

High Seas

Reply Mon 5 Mar, 2007 09:06 pm
Ah, I thought I'd look in. Somebody asked about glaciers covering the northern hemisphere, so I'll answer for North America:

Quote:

[Laurentide Ice Sheet, until 10,000 years B.C.]

At its maximum extent it spread as far south as latitude 37° N and covered an area of more than 5 million sq mi (13 million sq km). In some areas its thickness reached 8,000-10,000 ft (2,400-3,000 m) or more.

http://www.britannica.com/ebc/article-9369833

Note to GeorgeOB: tks yr IM fm long ago, sorry no reply possible on this board as my current a/c is new and has no IM sending capability yet.
0 Replies

High Seas

Reply Mon 5 Mar, 2007 09:09 pm
..and of course our paleolithic ancestors kept driving their SUVs, so the whole Laurentide Ice Sheet vanished by the year 2300 Smile
0 Replies

okie

Reply Mon 5 Mar, 2007 09:15 pm
gustavratzenhofer wrote:
I'm sure there's a site out there, okie, that validates the existence of dinosaurs. Would you believe it?

There are probably descendants of dinosaurs around, although likely called something else.

gustavratzenhofer, if you have solid evidence of the impending extinction of polar bears, I would like to see it.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Mon 5 Mar, 2007 11:35 pm
okie wrote:
A little investigation into the polar bear scare. We all are aware of pictures of helpless polar bears clinging to pieces of ice, drifting helplessly into the sunset, to starve or drown in the open seas. Well, guess what, polar bears enjoy swimming for long distances, and this is their habitat. Also, populations of polar bears are apparently not decreasing, but probably increasing. This site claims the following:

"Just last week I posted a piece at this blog stating that despite claims in the popular press and scientific literature to the contrary, polar bear numbers are actually increasing. I wrote that numbers have increased from about 5,000 to 25,000 over the last 30 years."

http://www.jennifermarohasy.com/blog/archives/001826.html

Another inconvenient truth for the environmentalist whackos and global warmers.

I don't know if (and why) this is or should be incovenient.
I'd thaught, any increase of that number would be welcomed.

Besides that:

Quote:
Population estimates for the Circumpolar North range from 16,000 to 35,000 bears. The figure of 22,000 is accepted as a working number. Scientists agree that in many areas, data are lacking entirely.
Polar Bears International
0 Replies