Global Warming...New Report...and it ain't happy news

blatham

Reply Sat 3 Mar, 2007 04:12 am
this is just getting embarassing now

?
0 Replies

blatham

Reply Sat 3 Mar, 2007 04:15 am
Human rights? Not important (eg torture, injustice, poverty)
Climate warming? Malarky.
But kids phucking? ALARUM!!!!!!!

To quote John Cleese..."You have to remember that you are dealing with people who are functioning at a very low level of mental health."
Quote:
Evangelical's Focus on Climate Draws Fire of Christian Right

By LAURIE GOODSTEIN
Published: March 3, 2007
Leaders of several conservative Christian groups have sent a letter urging the National Association of Evangelicals to force its policy director in Washington to stop speaking out on global warming.

The conservative leaders say they are not convinced that global warming is human-induced or that human intervention can prevent it. And they accuse the director, the Rev. Richard Cizik, the association's vice president for government affairs, of diverting the evangelical movement from what they deem more important issues, like abortion and homosexuality.

The letter underlines a struggle between established conservative Christian leaders, whose priority has long been sexual morality, and challengers who are pushing to expand the evangelical movement's agenda to include issues like climate change and human rights.

"We have observed," the letter says, "that Cizik and others are using the global warming controversy to shift the emphasis away from the great moral issues of our time."

Those issues, the signers say, are a need to campaign against abortion and same-sex marriage and to promote "the teaching of sexual abstinence and morality to our children."

The letter, dated Thursday, is signed by leaders like James C. Dobson, chairman of Focus on the Family; Gary L. Bauer, once a Republican presidential candidate and now president of Coalitions for America; Tony Perkins, president of the Family Research Council; and Paul Weyrich, a longtime political strategist who is chairman of American Values.

http://www.nytimes.com/2007/03/03/us/03evangelical.html
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Sat 3 Mar, 2007 06:15 am
From my favourite encyclopedia conservapedia (more here)

Quote:
Global warming is a phrase which commonly refers to a scientific theory and to political proposals that follow if the theory is accepted. The scientific theory is widely but not universally accepted within the scientific community. Conservatives who are opposed to the political proposals that flow from acceptance of the theory, are properly skeptical of the motivations of the theorists, and challenge the scientific validity of portions of the theory.
It should be noted that these scientists are motivated by a need for grant money in their field of climatology. Therefore, their work can not be considered unbiased, though no more than any scientist in any other field . Also, these scientists are mostly liberal athiests, untroubled by the hubris that man can destroy the Earth which God gave him.

http://i10.tinypic.com/33w0bwl.jpg

That's exactly THE argument to convince me.
0 Replies

blatham

Reply Sat 3 Mar, 2007 07:15 am
LOL! Walter, that is a truly brilliant focusing on the matter.
0 Replies

Foxfyre

Reply Sat 3 Mar, 2007 07:40 am
Sigh. The "close their eyes, ears, and nose tunnel visioned let's go with the poltiically correct and consider absolutely nothing else group' is apparently completely out of ammunition because, in typical fashion, they have turned their focus from any discussion of issues to attacking, accusing, and/or ridiculing those who still have open minds.

And they call us silly.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Sat 3 Mar, 2007 07:51 am
Did you write that entry to conservapedia, Foxfyre?

But you're right. We really should have a look at the first post again ...

http://i4.tinypic.com/2wmju9z.jpg
0 Replies

Foxfyre

Reply Sat 3 Mar, 2007 07:56 am
Wherever the shoe fits, Walter. Wherever the shoe fits.
0 Replies

parados

Reply Sat 3 Mar, 2007 09:15 am
I am curious what the difference is between an open mind and an empty mind?
0 Replies

Foxfyre

Reply Sat 3 Mar, 2007 09:41 am
parados wrote:
I am curious what the difference is between an open mind and an empty mind?

Empty minds aren't interested in facts that don't fit or that they don't understand. Open minds look at and consider all the facts even if some don't fit with what they want to believe.

I thought that was rather obvious, but apparently not.
0 Replies

parados

Reply Sat 3 Mar, 2007 09:45 am
You mean like the second law of thermodynamics?
0 Replies

Foxfyre

Reply Sat 3 Mar, 2007 09:48 am
I don't know. Put it into context and let's see if it is pertinent to the discussion. My son is a mechanical and petroleum engineer and knows a lot about thermodynamics. I can assure you, he got absolutely nothing of that from me however. I admit to being quite uneducated on that subject.
0 Replies

parados

Reply Sat 3 Mar, 2007 10:03 am
Foxfyre wrote:

Empty minds aren't interested in facts that don't fit or that they don't understand. ...

We had a rather lengthy discussion where you claimed that heat was created by ice forming which was pointed out violated the second law. Followed by you denying you ever claimed it as a theory.
0 Replies

blatham

Reply Sat 3 Mar, 2007 10:46 am
Foxfyre wrote:
Sigh. The "close their eyes, ears, and nose tunnel visioned let's go with the poltiically correct and consider absolutely nothing else group' is apparently completely out of ammunition because, in typical fashion, they have turned their focus from any discussion of issues to attacking, accusing, and/or ridiculing those who still have open minds.

And they call us silly.

Pretty clearly, the individual resisting 'political correctness' is Cizik.
0 Replies

Foxfyre

Reply Sat 3 Mar, 2007 12:47 pm
parados wrote:
Foxfyre wrote:

Empty minds aren't interested in facts that don't fit or that they don't understand. ...

We had a rather lengthy discussion where you claimed that heat was created by ice forming which was pointed out violated the second law. Followed by you denying you ever claimed it as a theory.

When you can cite what I actually DID say Parados instead of what you want me to have said, we'll probably have more productive discussions. I did NOT say that heat was created by ice forming. At least I certainly did not intend to say that heat was created by ice forming. I did say that heat is emitted (i.e. released, given up) when water freezes. I think you'll have a really hard time disputing that, too. And I don't even put that one into the theory class.
0 Replies

Steve 41oo

Reply Sat 3 Mar, 2007 12:59 pm
Foxfyre wrote:
...I did NOT say that heat was created by ice forming. At least I certainly did not intend to say that heat was created by ice forming...
well it is so you were correct, but I think you dont appreciate the difference between heat and temperature.
0 Replies

Foxfyre

Reply Sat 3 Mar, 2007 01:00 pm
Steve 41oo wrote:
Foxfyre wrote:
...I did NOT say that heat was created by ice forming. At least I certainly did not intend to say that heat was created by ice forming...
well it is so you were correct, but I think you dont appreciate the difference between heat and temperature.

Isn't temperature a measurement of the amount of heat that is present? If it has a different definition I would be grateful to know that.
0 Replies

Steve 41oo

Reply Sat 3 Mar, 2007 01:12 pm
Foxfyre wrote:

Isn't temperature a measurement of the amount of heat that is present?

no its just a number, without dimension.

more later dinner on table gotta go
0 Replies

georgeob1

Reply Sat 3 Mar, 2007 01:16 pm
Temperature is a measure of the average kinetic energy of the molecules of a substance. Heat is a term used for a quantity of that energy that is transferred from one material to another. Changes of phase (solid to liquid and liquid to gas & the reverse) occur at constant temperature. They involve substantial heat transfer (input) to break down the chrystalline bonds (ice to water), or to break the liquid bonds (wator to vapor) among the molecules, which otherwise maintain a constant average kinetic energy in the process. The amount of heat required to melt a pound of ice at 32 deg F (at sea level) is about 1000 times the heat required to raise its temperature one deg. F.
0 Replies

Foxfyre

Reply Sat 3 Mar, 2007 01:27 pm
georgeob1 wrote:
Temperature is a measure of the average kinetic energy of the molecules of a substance. Heat is a term used for a quantity of that energy that is transferred from one material to another. Changes of phase (solid to liquid and liquid to gas & the reverse) occur at constant temperature. They involve substantial heat transfer (input) to break down the chrystalline bonds (ice to water), or to break the liquid bonds (wator to vapor) among the molecules, which otherwise maintain a constant average kinetic energy in the process. The amount of heat required to melt a pound of ice at 32 deg F (at sea level) is about 1000 times the heat required to raise its temperature one deg. F.

Okay, for us thermodynamically challenged, could you put that into layman's terms as to what happens to the heat that is released when water freezes or becomes colder?
0 Replies

hamburger

Reply Sat 3 Mar, 2007 01:40 pm
okie asked :

Quote:
A thought here, just what qualifies a person to be a "scientist?" A BS good enough? Or is a Masters or PhD (piled higher and deeper) required? Do you have to actually practice the science degree for a number of years, or does a degreed person still wet behind the ears qualify?

just listing the first page of the ninety canadian scientists who signed the open letter to the prime minister of canada (all ninety names are in the link given previously .
imo these scientists represent a good cross-section of disclines and faculties :

Quote:
Dr. Philip H. Austin
Associate Professor, Earth and Ocean
Sciences University of British Columbia
Principal Investigator, NSERC/CFCAS Clouds
and Climate Research Network

Dr. David Barber
Canada Research Chair in Arctic System
Science
Faculty of Environment
University of Manitoba.

Dr. Danny Blair
Associate Professor
PARC-MB Hydro Climate Change Research
Professor Department of Geography,
University of Winnipeg

Dr. Jean-Pierre Blanchet
Professeur au Département des sciences de
la Terre et de l'atmosphère,
Institut des sciences de l'environnement,
Université du Québec à Montréal

Dr. George J. Boer
Senior Scientist, Canadian Centre for Climate
Modelling and Analysis
Environment Canada

Dr. James Bruce, O.C., FRSC
Canadian Policy Representative
Soil and Water Conservation Society

Dr. William Mark Buhay
Assistant Professor
Department of Geography
Center for Forest Interdisciplinary Research
University of Winnipeg

Dr. Ian Burton, FRSC
Professor Emeritus, University of Toronto.
Independent Scholar and Consultant.
Scientist Emeritus, Meteorological Service of
Canada

Dr. Andrew B.G. Bush
Co-Editor, Atmosphere-Ocean
Dept. of Earth and Atmospheric Sciences
University of Alberta

Dr. Stephen Calvert, FRSC
Professor Emeritus
Department of Earth and Ocean Sciences
University of British Columbia

Dr. Alan Manson