IF A TREE FALLS IN THE FOREST . . .

BoGoWo

Reply Sat 29 Mar, 2003 10:53 am
ah, the thankless task of research!

Bye the way; if a tree falls on you, do you hear it?
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Sat 29 Mar, 2003 11:11 am
No, you only hear a creaking sound and a swish...... Wink c.i.
0 Replies

CodeBorg

Reply Sat 29 Mar, 2003 10:44 pm
... and the sound of an elephant sighing.
0 Replies

JoanneDorel

Reply Sat 29 Mar, 2003 10:55 pm
When I first discussed this I was very young and it was my older cousin who was a freshman in college who was trying to explain the theory to me. Now I can tell you I do not remember my opinion or his. So I guess I didn't hear him and that I must not have spoken but does the fact that I remember that there was a conversation count.
0 Replies

pueo

Reply Sat 29 Mar, 2003 10:58 pm
BoGoWo wrote:
ah, the thankless task of research!

Bye the way; if a tree falls on you, do you hear it?

never had a tree fall on me, but i once fell on a tree trying to imitate evel knevel. as i recall the tree did not make a sound. the only sounds that were heard were my moaning in pain and the laughter of my companions.
0 Replies

Diane

Reply Sat 29 Mar, 2003 11:06 pm
I wonder, if after falling, the tree said, "Help, I've fallen and I can't get up!" Too bad Joe's tape recorder stopped--if it actually stopped. Will we ever know? Just who is doing the research?

I sort of wonder if CodeBorg should be included.....he seems to like wasabi way too much! It worries me that I have experimented with something really stupid. It was a long ago, riding in a car with my best friend and her parents. They seldom invited me to travel with them after that. Embarrassed
0 Replies

JoanneDorel

Reply Sat 29 Mar, 2003 11:10 pm
Diane you've got it they do make a sound we just do not understand tree talk.
0 Replies

Diane

Reply Sat 29 Mar, 2003 11:14 pm
Tree talk sounds so nice.
0 Replies

Diane

Reply Sat 29 Mar, 2003 11:15 pm
I mean the thought of tree talk sounds nice. Isn't there a song. T Talked to the Trees?
0 Replies

JoanneDorel

Reply Sat 29 Mar, 2003 11:21 pm
Yes and know you have me remembering the noise pine trees make in the wind and Aspens quaking. Wow, what lovely thoughts.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Sat 29 Mar, 2003 11:36 pm
Yeah, and we can 'branch' into any subject that suits you. Wink c.i.
0 Replies

Diane

Reply Sat 29 Mar, 2003 11:39 pm
Well, I think I'll go to bed thinking of wind whispering through the pines and aspens quaking. Goodnight, all.
0 Replies

JoanneDorel

Reply Sat 29 Mar, 2003 11:41 pm
Good night, maybe add some palm trees swaying in a sea breeze.
0 Replies

Joe Nation

Reply Sun 30 Mar, 2003 07:49 am
Okay, I told my assistants to look for rings.

They reported the tree had no rings or jewelry of any kind.

We had a brief staff meeting.

They have returned to the site for further study.

Note: Hour sixteen contains a seven minute section wherein the sound of the leaves in the wind makes a rhythmic (8/4 22 bar) statement followed by a ten second pause then there is an combination of the calls a bird to a bird, the thwack of a branch upon a branch, and the footfalls of possibly a deer. Underlying that is the tapping of a nuthatch or a woodpecker sounding much like a finely tuned snare. I've sent it to Twyla Tharp.
0 Replies

BillW

Reply Sun 30 Mar, 2003 09:36 am
Catch that woodpecker - he is the culprit. Must have pecked that tree to death!
0 Replies

BoGoWo

Reply Sun 30 Mar, 2003 10:13 am
going back to Joanne's discussion with her cousin (for scientific insight);

I thought I would bring up a related question.

If you have a discussion with someone, and you are not there, do you hear it? (Hmm, I wonder if, perhaps, her cousin fell over?)
0 Replies

BillW

Reply Sun 30 Mar, 2003 10:24 am
I do it all the time - anyway, my wife tells me so!
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Sun 30 Mar, 2003 10:49 am
BoGoWo, Another mystery of life. Sometimes a twin living in another part of the country will react to some devastation experienced by his/her sibling. Sometimes another family member will feel something is wrong, which turns out to be true. It's wierd how things happen to us humans. c.i.
0 Replies

Diane

Reply Sun 30 Mar, 2003 05:43 pm
BoGoWo, I can answer your question with a definite yes! My younger son could sit there with a bored, far away look on his face when I was scolding him; when I asked him what I had just said (sure that he wouldn't be able to), he would repeat it almost word for word. Maddening.
0 Replies

PatriUgg

Reply Tue 1 Apr, 2003 07:40 pm
Trees
Okay, now I'm curious... How many people have read, or heard about
The Secret Life of Plants?
Incredible, fascinating book that shows how plants are able to communicate (among other things).

It made me think about what we know and really don't know yet (humility), and that talking to plants and trees works so well on many different levels.

Perhaps the tree didn't make a noise because it didn't fall. It was only sitting.
0 Replies