What's your favourite drink?

JPB

Reply Sat 22 Jan, 2005 04:30 pm
Slappy Doo Hoo wrote:
I think the whole Northeast is going to be severly hammered tonight.

We've been getting hammered since last night so with all this talk of wine I've decided to join suit. I'm on my second glass of riojo.
0 Replies

Slappy Doo Hoo

Reply Sat 22 Jan, 2005 04:35 pm
I knew it would come to this.

At the liquor store today, getting stocked up for tonghts festivities and tomorrow's day of football.

Checking out the different refrigerated sections, and I see a line of cans displayed on the inside of the door, like they display energy drinks at 7-11.

It's a red and black can of Bud, the largest distributor of alcohol to the US's white trash market.

I read the display "a little bit extra," and it lists caffeine, ginseng, and guarana(which is just the herbal form of caffeine), and 6.8% alcohol.

I knew I'd see this someday, and I thought it was funny as hell. An energy beer drink. I picked up a can of course.
0 Replies

Slappy Doo Hoo

Reply Sat 22 Jan, 2005 04:35 pm
I like riojo. Good wine to make sangria with.

F$%K!!! I should have thought of that earlier...could have whipped up a batch for tomorrow when I'm hungover.
0 Replies

JPB

Reply Sat 22 Jan, 2005 04:38 pm
Sangria's ok with the right food but I'm more of a 'straight up' kind of girl. If I'm going to drink I don't want to fight the fruit for the booze.
0 Replies

fallen angel2

Reply Sat 22 Jan, 2005 04:41 pm
warm sake goes well with a good steak
0 Replies

panzade

Reply Sat 22 Jan, 2005 05:24 pm
fallen_angel wrote:
warm sake goes well with a good steak

I forgot that last time I ordered in a Chinese restaurant it was a sizzling steak platter and I had sake with it. It WAS good.

Had a Mojito in Vancouver recently. I really like them.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Sat 22 Jan, 2005 08:29 pm
I like sake too, but cannot fling around judgements on different ones.

Single malts (signal malts, eh?) on the other hand - I like Laphroig, Talisker, older Glenmorangie, and some I forget the names and ages of. (My ex and I had a pal who had his home bar stocked with fine stuff. We never drank all so much, but when we went to his house for dinner, which was once a week or two, we'd have a proper cocktail and talk about the week - and perhaps watch the old Washington Week in Review, before going to the kitchen to cook together, which then involved opening a bottle of wine. Well, to be accurate, the wine was opened a slight bit earlier so it could breathe...
Fine man, scholar, and good friend, gone now and I (we) miss him.

And his scotches and bourbons and calvados' and poirs. Sigh.

A tip of the glass to Harvey Goldstein, professor of English, USC.
0 Replies

JPB

Reply Sat 22 Jan, 2005 08:40 pm
I've tried Laphroig and Glenfiddich but my 2nd favorite to Oban is Dalwhinnie. The discovery of Oban was interesting. DH and I had started an evening off with a glass of Dalwhinnie before heading out to a Chinese rest. for dinner. We asked what they had for single malts and were told that they kept a bottle of Oban for a special customer. We tried it and went shopping the next week. A few months later we went to a different Chinese restaurant and asked what they had for single malts and were told that they kept a bottle of Oban for a special customer. We laughed, shared a glass of Oban and wondered if it was the same special customer hitting Chinese restaurants throughout Chicagoland or if there was something special about the combination of Oban and chinese food. It doesn't really matter, we enjoy it with chinese food and sitting at home on a snowy evening in the winter. I tried to pick up a bottle at Christmastime and was told the distributer couldn't get any so we're currently out. It's worth trying if you ever go to a Chinese restaurant and they stock it for a special customer!
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Sat 22 Jan, 2005 08:58 pm
Smiling... I'm sure I liked Oban too, and Glendronoch and Bruichladdich (sp?) when I tried it. And I forgot to mention MacAllan (sp?) and can't remember if I like the 12 yr more than the 18, which I wasn't supposed to.

It's been a while, I can't afford the stuff myself.

But I'm smiling since we became friends with a fellow from Vietnam, who used to serve us special tea at his cafe, in a teapot. (Remy Martin)

Those were the days.
0 Replies

makemeshiver33

Reply Sat 22 Jan, 2005 11:15 pm
Humm....lets see......

Beer: MGD...longneck
Hard stuff: Tequilla, Old Charter 10 yo w/coke

Mixed: Tom Collins, Alabama Slammer,Bahama Mama, 3 Rum Punch
0 Replies

Slappy Doo Hoo

Reply Sun 23 Jan, 2005 11:18 am
MGD? Where do I begin? You realize they make good beer these days, right?

I drank that Bud "E" crap can last night. It was the weirdest thing ever. It definitely had sugar in it, it was sweet. F'n Bud.
0 Replies

makemeshiver33

Reply Sun 23 Jan, 2005 07:49 pm
Slappy......yes darlin'...I realize they make good beer these days. And I happen to think that MGD is good beer. It suits MY taste buds just fine, ty.
0 Replies