THE MEANING OF OZ - All you need to know!

Ionus

Reply Sat 19 Dec, 2009 04:55 am
@farmerman,
I worked on the killing floor, tripe section and condemned area in an abattoirs when I was 15, and it always amazed me how on survival exercises some people cant even kill a chook when they are hungry. The men of the world are turning into a pack of handbag carrying sooks.

But I always turned my nose up at something on survival if I thought it would make me sick. You cant take the risk of loseing all that water if it is for real, so why not play the game seriously. Eating a skunk is plain silly.
0 Replies

Ionus

Reply Sun 20 Dec, 2009 12:37 am
@farmerman,
Quote:
Those .... can really run if theyve a mind to chase something.
We had a helicopter land with a chip detector light in downtown croc country. Another was dispatched with a tradesman and it was given the all clear. On pulling out the second crew saw a croc chase the first helicopter and jump and snap at the skids. The helicopter was doing in excess of 40 knots and the croc stayed with it for about 3 secs !! If the croc had of grabbed it, the helicopter would most probably have come down hard. The croc was at least 20' in length.

Because we tended to look like trees in our camo, we were all told that if a goannna runs towards you put your arms over your head. When it reaches the highest "branch" flick it off your arms. Removing them from someone's face is a bad idea.
0 Replies

dadpad

Reply Sun 20 Dec, 2009 01:30 am
@farmerman,
that would be why i suggested removing the coolant before you go.
0 Replies

dadpad

Reply Wed 23 Dec, 2009 01:04 am
Port Lincoln under threat from major fires.

If I'm not mistaken thats Dutchies home base.
msolga

Reply Wed 23 Dec, 2009 01:23 am
@dadpad,
I know that's where Dutchy's son & family lives, dp.

He was about to/perhaps already has, set off to visit them for the Christmas holiday.

Be safe Dutchy & family!
msolga

Reply Wed 23 Dec, 2009 02:42 am
@msolga,
Dutchy, if you should see this, I sincerely hope this hasn't impacted on you & yours. And not too much on anyone else, either! I know how much you were looking forward to this holiday break with your family. I'm hoping, when/if you see this, that calm has been restored & that not too much damage has been done in Port Lincoln the community. Thank heavens for the cool change! Phew.:

Homes destroyed as bushfire rages
Posted 52 minutes ago
Updated 1 hour 56 minutes ago

http://www.abc.net.au/reslib/200912/r490954_2548288.jpg
The CFS warns the blaze is still burning strongly but expects fire crews to bring it under control overnight. (ABC News)

Weather conditions are easing around Port Lincoln in South Australia, where a bushfire has destroyed five properties and the State Emergency Services headquarters.

The temperature has dropped and the wind is easing in the area, however authorities say the fire is still extremely dangerous and burning out of control.

Quote:
At the height of the drama, residents fled "for their lives" as thick smoke blanketed much of the town.

The Country Fire Service (CFS) says it is starting to contain another bushfire burning near Kingston in the state's lower south-east.

The Port Lincoln fire is near Kurara, New West and Robertson Roads and Hilltop Drive and is travelling east.

People in this area are being advised to shelter indoors immediately and stay off the roads.

People should not attempt to leave or enter this area as the roads will not be safe.

Port Lincoln Mayor Peter Davis says there have been no reports of deaths but he is concerned.

"I shouldn't be surprised if there's been loss of life, particularly when it ignited ... that was an explosive situation around three or four hours ago," he said.

Mr Davis says there has been significant property loss but conditions have eased.

"Clearly there are still hotspots but because the wind speed is below 10 knots it's moderated enormously," he said.

Homes without power

More than 6,000 homes in the area are still without power.

Port Lincoln resident Michael Sleep, who sent photos of the blaze to ABC Online, says an earlier change had worsened the fire.

"Things got pretty scary. Wind changed direction and there was smoke everywhere with ash blowing in. Had to get on the roof and block and fill the gutters," he said.

CFS spokeswoman Hayley Cahalan says water bombing aircraft are being used in Port Lincoln.

"The fire has destroyed multiple homes possibly in the number of five to six at this stage, but that is unconfirmed," she said.

Ms Cahalan says 150 firefighters and 30 fire trucks are trying to contain the blaze, but she says some water bombing aircraft cannot be used because of local conditions.

"The temperature and the turbulence being generated by the fire has meant that some of the aircraft are not able to operate. It's not safe for them to be up in the air due to the serious nature of this fire," she said.

Ms Cahalan says fire crews will be back-burning through the night at Kingston to bring the fire there under control.

She says smoke will make travelling in the area dangerous.

Belinda Gibson from the weather bureau says the temperature has now eased to about 33 degrees in Port Lincoln.

She says conditions should continue to ease overnight.

"Now that the change has come through Port Lincoln has cooled down. Down at Kingston I imagine it's probably cooled down a little bit," she said.

"The winds should start to be easing back through the evening, increasing humidity and lowering the temperature."

More than half of South Australia's 15 fire ban districts have been subject to catastrophic fire danger ratings today, due to hot and windy weather.

http://www.abc.net.au/news/stories/2009/12/23/2779706.htm
dlowan

Reply Wed 23 Dec, 2009 03:44 am
@msolga,
Oh boy. Is posted as "contained" on CFS web site.

Stirling and Forest Range (Adelaide Hills) still expanding.
msolga

Reply Wed 23 Dec, 2009 07:50 pm
@dlowan,
How are things today, Deb? (I just saw Dutchy's Port Lincoln post on his birthday thread. Sigh.)

Now we (in Victoria) are on fire alert!

Is there no end to this? Rolling Eyes Neutral

Thank heavens it's cooled down today. Yesterday was just hideous!
Dutchy

Reply Wed 23 Dec, 2009 08:50 pm
@msolga,
Hi msolga. Just been through the fire raged area (only 1km from the marina where son lives) and it is a heart breaking story, I spotted at least a dozen homes completely destroyed but they say there are probably more in the backblocks. 5 firefighters have been injured but no other caualties as of now. Weather cool and overcast, not like the 40 plus we had yesterday. All this just before Xmas, so sad.
0 Replies

dadpad

Reply Thu 24 Dec, 2009 03:08 am
Good to hear from you dutch
Dutchy

Reply Sun 27 Dec, 2009 11:40 pm
@dadpad,
Have posted a few pictures of the fire from Port Lincoln on the 'yabber-liner' thread. http://able2know.org/topic/111721-876#post-3857286
msolga

Reply Mon 28 Dec, 2009 06:23 am
@Dutchy,
Thanks, Dutchy. I've just had a look. Terrible.
0 Replies

dadpad

Reply Wed 30 Dec, 2009 02:16 am
It appears to be Western Australia's turn to burn. Nothing like sharing it around.
msolga

Reply Wed 30 Dec, 2009 06:51 pm
@dadpad,
Yes, Nothing like it, dp! Wink
Times like this I almost (not quite! Wink ) feeling like migrating to some other place, with sane weather patterns!

Another ghastly hot one today. sigh.

Here's wishing all us Oz folk a happy end to 2009 (Please don't drink & drive!) & a terrific 2010! Very Happy
Dutchy

Reply Wed 30 Dec, 2009 08:02 pm
@msolga,
Let me join you msolga and wish everybody a Happy and Healthy New Year. Smile
0 Replies

dadpad

Reply Sun 10 Jan, 2010 04:21 pm

Soldier, gardener, firefighter and good bloke dies helping others
SELMA MILOVANOVIC AND DANIEL FLITTON
January 11, 2010 Melb Aust
WHEN flames destroyed everything around tiny Tolmie, north-east of Mansfield, three years ago, Hugh Monroe was in a fire truck helping protect his community.

He volunteered elsewhere last fire season, first dousing flames at Boolarra in the Latrobe Valley before being sent to Alexandra during the Black Saturday inferno and attending some of Victoria's worst fires.

Yesterday, the 62-year-old volunteer lost his life and four of his brigade mates were injured when the fire tanker he was driving rolled on the way to another blaze, near his home town.
http://www.theage.com.au/national/soldier-gardener-firefighter-and-good-bloke-dies-helping-others-20100110-m0o9.html

My community is saddened and shocked. I went fly fishing with Hugh and he was kind enough to guide some Swedish friends on a flyfishing day trip with me. Our firefighting volunteers are held in high esteem and their contibution valued.
dlowan

Reply Sun 10 Jan, 2010 04:27 pm
@dadpad,
Damn.

0 Replies

msolga

Reply Mon 11 Jan, 2010 02:50 am
@dadpad,

Quote:
WHEN flames destroyed everything around tiny Tolmie, north-east of Mansfield, three years ago, Hugh Monroe was in a fire truck helping protect his community.

He volunteered elsewhere last fire season, first dousing flames at Boolarra in the Latrobe Valley before being sent to Alexandra during the Black Saturday inferno and attending some of Victoria's worst fires.

Yesterday, the 62-year-old volunteer lost his life and four of his brigade mates were injured when the fire tanker he was driving rolled on the way to another blaze, near his home town.

People like Hugh Monroe are the backbone of communities like yours, dp. What to huge loss to you all. My commiserations.

0 Replies

msolga

Reply Fri 15 Jan, 2010 08:57 am
Just curious & comparing notes with other places in Oz:

Are you guys being inundated with various government-subsidized energy saving offers?
The latest door knockers are offering free ceiling insulation (which I already have, so .... )

A few weeks ago I had the low energy usage light fixtures offer. A man arrived on my doorstep & offered to replace all my light globes for free. I told him that I didn't invite people who I didn't know into my house, which annoyed him a bit, but said I'd happily accept a light globe & install it myself. After a bit of attempting to persuade me to allow him to change my globes, he went off to his van & came back with this big box ... 25 light globes! Shocked I don't actually have 25 light sockets to put them in! Anyway, our taxes at work.

Now, if the government offered to subsidize a water tank (or 2 or 3) I'd jump at the offer! Now that would be useful!
Dutchy

Reply Fri 15 Jan, 2010 02:40 pm
@msolga,
Hi msolga. My wife was approached in our local shopping centre by one of those energy saving people, they had a stand there, and was given a pamphlet to fill in about our house etc. She brought it home and I verified the organisation on the Internet, submitted the form and was duly contacted by phone and told they would attend my house at a certain date, and time. Low and behold, right on the dot a panel van turn up, a guy got out and replaced every light bulb in my house with these new type of energy saving lights FREE OF CHARGE. That was 18 months ago. Those new lights are pretty expensive, check them in the supermarket, but we got them all for free. They say there is no such thing as a free lunch but this certainly was!
0 Replies