THE MEANING OF OZ - All you need to know!

msolga

Reply Tue 3 Feb, 2009 09:20 pm
@Dutchy,
Quote:
I could rave on and on but whose is listening.

Me.

Because I know (all too well) of what you speak!

Something like 1300 train cancellations in Melbourne over a few days, last week, for the very same reason!
Dutchy

Reply Tue 3 Feb, 2009 09:26 pm
@msolga,
I think privatising well run public utilities is a no-no, worst thing any Government can do, the results of their ineptness is now all around us. On a brighter note msolga I'm opening a cold stubby of beer, cheers. Laughing
hingehead

Reply Tue 3 Feb, 2009 09:35 pm
@Dutchy,
Same in all the states Dutchy - and I heard some industry spokesperson saying they need govt assistance to upgrade their infrastructure!

So they buy, at rock bottom prices, all the infrastructure taxpayers have installed and maintained for generations, don't maintain it to maximise profits, then cry poor. F*** ME ROAN.
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Tue 3 Feb, 2009 09:43 pm
@Dutchy,
Thing is, heaps of public/government funds are still required, despite these privatisations!
Izzie

Reply Wed 4 Feb, 2009 12:59 pm
@msolga,
Oh........ how's Cairns doing?

Mega floods from what I see on the news here... and roaming crocs? Shocked
msolga

Reply Wed 4 Feb, 2009 06:37 pm
@Izzie,
Good morning, Izzie.

I think we'll have to wait for a hinge first-hand account for that one. Let's get the info from the horse's mouth, hey?
Hinge?
... but I think I can safely say it's most likely pretty wet in Cairns right now! Wink
0 Replies

hingehead

Reply Thu 5 Feb, 2009 01:03 am
@Izzie,
Plenty of rain Izzie but no local flooding. We are cut off from the rest of the country though - so the supermarkets are pretty well empty of perishables, and tinned food. Hope the roads reopen before the next cyclone heats up (due this weekend apparently). Getting very sick of being damp.
hingehead

Reply Thu 5 Feb, 2009 01:03 am
@hingehead,
And no more crocs than usual.
Dutchy

Reply Thu 5 Feb, 2009 01:55 am
@hingehead,
Another 43 one for us on Friday and possibly 44 on Saturday before the long awaited cool change arrives on Sunday! You beauty. Incredible seeing all the flooding in Queensland whilst we in South Australia are drying up more and more.
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Thu 5 Feb, 2009 11:06 pm
@hingehead,
Quote:
We are cut off from the rest of the country though - so the supermarkets are pretty well empty of perishables, and tinned food.

Big package of essential items has been sent north fron southern Oz, hinge. Should be on your doorstep any minute now!
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Thu 5 Feb, 2009 11:19 pm
Tomorrow.

Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked

Eek!

Surely it can't be this bad? Can it?:

'Worst day in history': Brumby warns of fire danger
February 6, 2009 - 12:02PM

Quote:
Victorians should cancel whatever plans they may have had for tomorrow and take whatever steps necessary to prepare for what Premier John Brumby is calling the "worst day in the history of the state".

With temperatures set to soar to the mid-40s throughout Victoria, Mr Brumby said the conditions were worse than those that preceded the devastating bushfires of Ash Wednesday or Black Friday.

"It's just as bad a day as you can imagine and on top of that the state is just tinder-dry. People need to exercise real common sense tomorrow," he said.

"If you don't need to go out, don't go out, it's a seriously bad day.

"If you don't need to travel, don't travel.

"Don't go on the roads. If you don't need to use the public transport system, don't use it.

"If you can stay at home, stay at home.

"If you've got relatives who are elderly, if you've got friends, if you've got neighbours, please call on them.

"Ring them ... it's going to be a terrible day for anyone who is ill or who is old.

Mr Brumby said he expected Melbourne to reach 43 or 44 degrees with similar temperatures throughout the state, reaching as high as 46 in Mildura.

He said if anything, the expectation was for the day to be even hotter rather than cooler.

He recalled scenes last week of wooden power poles self-igniting.

"I can't stress this enough, I know that the chief fire officer has been out and he said it will be as bad as you can get and he's not exaggerating," Mr Brumby said.

http://www.theage.com.au/national/worst-day-in-history-brumby-warns-of-fire-danger-20090206-7zf1.html
msolga

Reply Thu 5 Feb, 2009 11:23 pm
@msolga,
Then, following all this, next a top temperature of 2o C has been predicted for Tuesday!

Out witth the jumpers & socks?

What the heck is going on here? Confused
hingehead

Reply Thu 5 Feb, 2009 11:53 pm
@msolga,
Quote:
What the heck is going on here?

That thing that GWB denied was happening?
msolga

Reply Fri 6 Feb, 2009 12:03 am
@hingehead,
Which thing?

I mean which particular thing?

He denied many things. I've lost track ....

Wink
dlowan

Reply Fri 6 Feb, 2009 04:34 am
@msolga,
Global warming

msolga

Reply Fri 6 Feb, 2009 07:03 pm
@dlowan,
Oh duh, of course! (Sorry guys, my brain has turned to sludge.)

Well obviously he was very wrong indeed to deny the bleeding obvious!! I'm hoping his pants are on fire as I type! I'm hoping JH's pants are burning, too!

Just been down the street to Sydney Road. On foot. (Well, am I going to drive the car when the walk takes just 5 minutes? Just because it's like a furnace - a very windy one - out there?) ... And I'm here to report that I wouldn't be at all surprised if a few folks go over the edge today. The heat was bad enough last week. But combined with the ferocious wind! Momma mia! Shocked

Nothing for it but to head for my favourite air conditioned movie house this arvo. And just hope the promised cool change arrives before it's time to leave there.

Wishing you folk in SA & country Victoria the best in surviving this day from hell.
0 Replies

dadpad

Reply Fri 6 Feb, 2009 07:07 pm
http://i8.photobucket.com/albums/a40/dadpad/P3150082.jpg
msolga

Reply Fri 6 Feb, 2009 07:14 pm
@dadpad,
That haze, dadpad...

Smoke?

Aghhhh, I hope not! Sad
0 Replies

dadpad

Reply Fri 6 Feb, 2009 07:18 pm
I think its smoke drift from Gippsland
Dutchy

Reply Fri 6 Feb, 2009 07:20 pm
@dadpad,
We have the same haze hanging over Adelaide but it is the result of a dust storm north of the City. 40 degrees at the moment and waiting for the cool change to arrive. Laughing
0 Replies