THE MEANING OF OZ - All you need to know!

dlowan

Reply Sun 1 Feb, 2009 04:06 pm
@hingehead,
Oh for Pete's sake!

This is getting SILLY.

I think South Australians are going to have to become refugees.

hingehead

Reply Sun 1 Feb, 2009 04:10 pm
@dlowan,
I'm emailing you some water right now!
dadpad

Reply Sun 1 Feb, 2009 04:16 pm
@hingehead,
Water we can put to good use. Keep your wind though
hingehead

Reply Sun 1 Feb, 2009 04:22 pm
@dadpad,
I'm laying off the baked beans as of now.
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Mon 2 Feb, 2009 01:24 am
@dlowan,
Quote:
And we recently caught some utterly mad woman who lit god knows how many fires

Are you in a position to shed any light on such folk, Deb? (I understand, of course, that this is not at all your area of expertise ...)

But to live within a community & to get your thrills from lighting fires at extremely dangerous times ..... possibly ( ?) knowing that your fire-lighting activities could cause terrible destruction, even death, to people you might know ....

Is this sort of compulsion in the league of say, an out-of-control gambling addiction, or a heroin addiction ... or what ? Is it something that the person is incapable of fighting?

What the hell compells these people to do such things? It makes absolutely no sense to me.

0 Replies

msolga

Reply Mon 2 Feb, 2009 01:34 am
@dlowan,
Quote:
And only 38 C on Tuesday! (101 F)

I'll believe it when I see it.

Aw you poor things. Wishing for 38 C as an improvement! Shocked Sad

Much cooler in Melbourne today. I was outside at lunchtime at work & there was the distinct possibility of rain (or something!) in the air, as the temperature dropped dramatically. Heard a roll of thunder or two, but nothing much happened after that. But, at least it felt kinda hopeful! And made the afternoon at work much more bearable.
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Mon 2 Feb, 2009 01:46 am
@hingehead,
Streuth! What next???! Shocked
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Mon 2 Feb, 2009 02:13 am
Today's Petty.:

http://www.theage.com.au/ffximage/2009/02/01/020209OP_gallery__570x400.jpg
Dutchy

Reply Mon 2 Feb, 2009 04:32 am
@msolga,
A little cooler in Adelaide today, still broke the 100 degree mark with 39C and 38 is forecast for Tuesday, followed by more days of 43! They're now advising the elderly to spend their days in major airconditioned shopping centres to save power costs in running their airconditioners at home!
hingehead

Reply Mon 2 Feb, 2009 04:44 pm
@Dutchy,
Will the mall authorities play rap music to move them on?
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Tue 3 Feb, 2009 07:33 pm
@Dutchy,
I hope they're providing free-of-charge buses to transport the olds to & from these air conditioned shopping centres, Dutchy. What a fascinating way to spend a hot day! Laughing
Dutchy

Reply Tue 3 Feb, 2009 07:39 pm
@msolga,
Hi msolga, I kid you not, I went to the big Westfield shopping plaza nearby at 7am yesterday morning and all the pensioner parking spots were taken, highly unusual for that time of the day! Cool change predicted to arrive on Sunday at last but not after a couple of more warm days. Ran out of beer hence I was on the road early yesterday to stock up. Laughing
msolga

Reply Tue 3 Feb, 2009 07:42 pm
@Dutchy,
7 am. Gosh. that's early.

Did you manage see what they were doing there? Maybe they were all getting the shopping over & done with, early? Wink
Dutchy

Reply Tue 3 Feb, 2009 07:47 pm
@msolga,
6am I get up msolga, 7 days a week, after 6 hours sleep. I noted all the benches were occupied but also the coffee shops were doling a roaring trade. Once I had my Crown Lager, which was on a special, I was off home.
msolga

Reply Tue 3 Feb, 2009 07:53 pm
@Dutchy,
Quote:
....I noted all the benches were occupied but also the coffee shops were doling a roaring trade

Well, at least the coffee shops in Adelaide won't be going broke (like so many other businesses could), Dutchy! Wink

Seriously though, some folk must be close to the edge, after weeks of excruciating heat in SA?

Dutchy

Reply Tue 3 Feb, 2009 08:16 pm
@msolga,
There have been quite a number of deaths attributed to this heat msolga, in particular were blackouts deliberately occurred, will be interested to see what the Coroner has to say if he decides to hold an inquest into some of these sudden deaths of elderly people.
msolga

Reply Tue 3 Feb, 2009 08:27 pm
@Dutchy,
You're saying that in some cases the power was deliberately cut off, Dutchy ... & that some people died during that time?
Dutchy

Reply Tue 3 Feb, 2009 08:43 pm
@msolga,
Yes indeed msolga. The authorities have a special list of areas where they deliberately cut the power for a number of hours on days of extreme power usage. Our Premier Mike Rann is calling for a list of suburbs for load-shedding blackouts to be publicly released, as pressure mounts on independent electricity authorities to change their policy of secrecy. You see the public gets NO warnings when these cuts occur and upto now they won't say which areas will be affected. Talking of bloody bureaucrats!
msolga

Reply Tue 3 Feb, 2009 09:01 pm
@Dutchy,
A secret "special list" & deliberate black outs without any prior warning?
Streuth.
So I take it that electricity had been privatised in SA, as it has in Victoria (along with just about everything else that moves! Rolling Eyes )?

Dutchy

Reply Tue 3 Feb, 2009 09:15 pm
@msolga,
msolga wrote:

A secret "special list" & deliberate black outs without any prior warning?
Streuth.
So I take it that electricity had been privatised in SA, as it has in Victoria (along with just about everything else that moves! Rolling Eyes )?

dLowan will back me up on that one msolga once she gets on line, and yes they sold our ETSA (Electricity Trust of SA) into private hands some years ago along with our E&WS (Engineering & Water Supply). Well, you can see the result every day, breakdown after breakdown as they don't maintain the lines and pipes! They only attend when a breakdown occurs. The various governments have done nothing to the infrastructure either so we are really in one hell of a mess, particularly when it comes to water, I could rave on and on but whose is listening. Laughing