THE MEANING OF OZ - All you need to know!

msolga

Reply Fri 30 Jan, 2009 07:30 pm
@dlowan,
Yes, but I've made adjustments - a much more equal split between personal & work time. A very good thing (for me), I think, though it definitely won't make me rich! Wink (Other post-educator plans sort of went right off the radar following the Big Spilt (after 20 years) with Mr Wonderful. But not to worry, not now, anyway.... )
dlowan

Reply Fri 30 Jan, 2009 07:43 pm
@msolga,
So...the split works for you?

Sigh.

How'd you do it, if you don't object to saying?

I'd love to go .8, but the mortgage calls.

msolga

Reply Fri 30 Jan, 2009 07:44 pm
@msolga,
... & something I wouldn't have believed possible, say 10 -15 years ago. It is actually possible to do a good job while developing a bit of detachment in the workplace! I now pretty much block out the outrageous political stuff which drives me crazy, if I let it & focus on the stuff I enjoy. ie kids & curriculum.
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Fri 30 Jan, 2009 07:54 pm
@dlowan,
Quote:
So...the split works for you?

Sigh.

How'd you do it, if you don't object to saying?

I'd love to go .8, but the mortgage calls

Well, Deb, I figured I just couldn't keep doing what I'd been doing for years or something was gonna give.... & other (personal) factors (some beyond my control) meant that I had to change how I lived. After that, it was mainly adjusting, adjusting, adjusting .... (& no longer having a mortgage certainly helps!)
Thing is, I'm considerably less wealthy (ha!) but I have a lot more time for essential things like shopping, keeping myself fed, etc I'm a lot less frazzled, too. .... I found, too, the less time I worked, the less $$$$ I spent, or needed to spend! It's by no means a perfect situation, but it's as good as I can get it.
dlowan

Reply Fri 30 Jan, 2009 07:59 pm
@msolga,
Indeed.

I have zoned out of a lot of political stuff too.

On ya, Felix!!!

(Doesn't that mean happiness?)
msolga

Reply Fri 30 Jan, 2009 08:04 pm
@dlowan,
Quote:
I have zoned out of a lot of political stuff too.

Good move. Too much involvement in the internal political stuff is a way to madness!

The external variety you can rail at, oppose, but it doesn't affect you nearly as much, as personally. It can make your job shittier than it need be, but. Wink
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Fri 30 Jan, 2009 08:21 pm
OK, I'm going to be really, really brave now. I'm going to venture outside (into the furnace!) & head off to Carlton for a movie. Wish me luck. It is not nice out there!

(Nice talking to you, Deb. Smile )
dlowan

Reply Fri 30 Jan, 2009 08:23 pm
@msolga,
Enjoy!!! Which one?

I oughta be doing that, plus delivering a film to a sick friend.

0 Replies

dadpad

Reply Fri 30 Jan, 2009 10:28 pm
Max Temp Today 42.4°C at 3:09 PM Min Temp Today 21.8°C at 7:07 AM.
http://www.mansfieldweather.com.au/

rainfall total
Jan 2009 7.8 mm
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Sun 1 Feb, 2009 03:59 am
Search on for suspected arsonist in Vic bushfires
Posted 3 hours 49 minutes ago
Updated 2 hours 19 minutes ago

http://www.abc.net.au/reslib/200901/r334757_1514908.jpg
About six fires have broken out in the past 24 hours (ABC TV)

Quote:
Victorian police are appealing for information from the public as they search for an arsonist believed responsible for the 6,500-hectare fire in the state's east which has destroyed homes.

Police say they had been investigating deliberately lit fires in the Latrobe Valley and the surrounding Gippsland area before the Delburn Complex fire took hold late last week.

About six fires have broken out in the past 24 hours and while lightning is believed to be the cause of four of them, it is suspected an arsonist may be behind two.

Police are waiting for fire conditions to ease further before investigators can thoroughly inspect the area where the blaze is believed to have started.

The number of property losses continues to rise.

The fire has destroyed homes, property and livestock in the Yinnar, Boolarra, Mirboo North and surrounding areas.

Victorian emergency authorities have revised the number of houses destroyed by the huge fire to 29.

Sixty-four sheds and a piggery have also been lost and fire crews are continuing assessments around the worst hit areas of Boolarra and Durlimarla.

Residents of those townships are now returning to their properties.

A cool change and light drizzle has brought some relief to hundreds of crews fighting the blaze, but the CFA expects more wind changes to cause problems with the blacking out operation.

Authorities say the main threat to communities has passed, for now. ... <cont>

http://www.abc.net.au/news/stories/2009/02/01/2479414.htm

0 Replies

msolga

Reply Sun 1 Feb, 2009 04:07 am
Half of all bushfires deliberately lit: report
Posted 8 hours 11 minutes ago

Quote:
A report from the Australian Institute of Criminology has found that half of all bushfires are deliberately lit.

The report says that the damage bill from arson is about $1.6 billion per year.

It says there are inconsistencies in the ways fire agencies throughout Australia record data and that getting a consistent figure about deliberately lit bushfires is difficult.

It makes a number of recommendations including better education campaigns in the community and schools.

It also recommends areas vulnerable to bushfires be protected by restricted access and other means. .....

http://www.abc.net.au/news/stories/2009/02/01/2479368.htm
farmerman

Reply Sun 1 Feb, 2009 05:15 am
@msolga,
Are these deliberate fires resulting from campfires gone awry or were they actual arson?

msolga

Reply Sun 1 Feb, 2009 05:28 am
@farmerman,
Arsonists, they're talking about, farmer.
In a report on tonight's news, a comparision was made between the number of bushfires fires in 2 states - Victoria & South Australia.
Though SA has had a much rougher time with extreme heat compared to Victoria this summer, the number of bushfires there was considerably less. The Premier of SA put this down to "preventative measures" in his state ... including authorities visiting known arsonists & and letting them know that they were "being watched" during periods of high risk.
Apparently some folk find it exciting (or something Confused) to deliberately light fires at a time when they'll have maximum impact. I don't get it at all ...
dlowan

Reply Sun 1 Feb, 2009 08:26 am
@msolga,
And we recently caught some utterly mad woman who lit god knows how many fires.
djjd62

Reply Sun 1 Feb, 2009 08:32 am
@dlowan,
in the north of canada we've had problems with arson and wildfires, one speculation a few years ago was employment, people setting fires and then joining fire crews

pretty sad if that was the case
dlowan

Reply Sun 1 Feb, 2009 08:36 am
@dlowan,
Hey! Cool change!!

Down to 39 C tomorrow!

Or so they say.

And only 38 C on Tuesday! (101 F)

I'll believe it when I see it.

At that level for the week..allegedly..then back to 43 on Friday. (110 F)

Supposed to be 25 on Sunday!!

What is this, two weeks of this, or more?

I forget!

dlowan

Reply Sun 1 Feb, 2009 08:37 am
@djjd62,
I think the pathology tends to be more that they are fire-fighters cos they love fire.
djjd62

Reply Sun 1 Feb, 2009 08:38 am
@dlowan,
reverse the temps and it's the same here, today above freezing and then getting progressively colder as the week goes by
0 Replies

djjd62

Reply Sun 1 Feb, 2009 08:41 am
@dlowan,
the people suspected of starting the fires aren't official firefighters, they're civilians that work with the real fire crews, they hire them to clear brush ahead of fire lines and cut ridges to try and stop fire advancement, they might get a month or more of work in areas where employment is at a premium
0 Replies

hingehead

Reply Sun 1 Feb, 2009 04:03 pm
Cyclone Ellie went to Mission Beach and liked it so much she decided to stay and kick back. I know how she feels.
http://www.bom.gov.au/fwo/IDQ65001.gif?1233502074529