THE MEANING OF OZ - All you need to know!

djjd62

Reply Fri 30 Jan, 2009 08:04 am
another pic, this is a view to the left of the previous pic
a wood lot behind a neighbours house
http://i471.photobucket.com/albums/rr73/djjd1962/100_0517.jpg
0 Replies

hingehead

Reply Fri 30 Jan, 2009 08:04 am
@msolga,
Quote:
But, the media reaction has been very upsetting, too. So much about the family publicly revealed (poor, poor family, as if they don't have enough grief & horror to cope with, without their identity being revealed as well! My heart heats for those 2 little boys who were with their father at the time of the incident.) ... & so much information about the father (the "murderer") revealed. I'm seriously wondering if some of the published media information could adversely affect his trial.

I think Deb said it was unusual in that it wasn't a murder/suicide. Apparently the father is an unconsolable, uncommunicative wreck. What the heck happened? How could he drive his two boys to the family court afterward? It was the little girl's first day at school - what created such a 'limited' snap? How can you harm a four year old? What drives you to that point?

This is when I wish that there was a God and heaven made up for the lost experiences that little girl will never have. What a shitty planet.
dlowan

Reply Fri 30 Jan, 2009 08:13 am
@hingehead,
Erk. I looked at the media coverage for the first time a little while ago.

Filming that man is just wrong.

NAMING the family is wrong...that little boy has to go to school!

People at work in tears today.

It's all just too sad.
djjd62

Reply Fri 30 Jan, 2009 08:14 am
@hingehead,
we had a story similar to this in canada about 4 years ago, it ended differently, a man who had been arguing with his estranged wife, grabbed his 5 year old daughter and took off with her, police found him and followed him to a freeway overpass, but before the could react he threw the girl over the edge to the road below and then jumped over himself

the little girl was badly injured but did survive, the man died of his injuries, it was a custody battle gone horribly wrong
msolga

Reply Fri 30 Jan, 2009 08:32 am
@djjd62,
Quote:
it was a custody battle gone horribly wrong

I'm not sure if there's a custody battle in this particular case, but there is/was a family court hearing planned. For soon.
Quite a deal of discussion on ABC radio this morning (related to the WestGate Bridge incident) about the stress of "resolving" matters relating to divorces/separations in the family court. Seems the "process" can be extremely detrimental for some people & some snap under the pressure.
msolga

Reply Fri 30 Jan, 2009 08:34 am
@dlowan,
Quote:
Filming that man is just wrong.

NAMING the family is wrong...that little boy has to go to school!

Yes. Exactly.
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Fri 30 Jan, 2009 08:47 am
@msolga,

A young girl's death: a nation wants answers:
SMH

Quote:
.....Dr McIntosh said the wrong kind of help was still being offered to some separating couples that pushed them into deeply adversarial court proceedings which could tip an emotionally unstable parent over the edge.

Heather Nancarrow, director of the Queensland Centre for Domestic and Family Violence Research, said violence was always a choice. Some men killed their children as the ultimate act of violence against their former partner.

"The main problem is the Family Court process needs better ways to assess the risks to women and children," she said.........

http://www.smh.com.au/news/national/a-young-girls-death-a-nation-asks-why/2009/01/30/1232818725580.html
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Fri 30 Jan, 2009 09:22 am
@msolga,
msolga wrote:

Quote:
it was a custody battle gone horribly wrong

I'm not sure if there's a custody battle in this particular case, but there is/was a family court hearing planned. For soon.
Quite a deal of discussion on ABC radio this morning (related to the WestGate Bridge incident) about the stress of "resolving" matters relating to divorces/separations in the family court. Seems the "process" can be extremely detrimental for some people & some snap under the pressure.

I nearly snap under the pressure, and I am not one of the warring parties...but just being exposed to them is enough!! For the kids....doesn't bear thinking about.

I couldn't agree more that under Howard the law has moved backwards re acknowledging the risks posed by these sorts of (predominantly) men.

Not that there can ever be a perfect way of assisting in such situations.

msolga

Reply Fri 30 Jan, 2009 04:36 pm
@dlowan,
Quote:
I nearly snap under the pressure, and I am not one of the warring parties...but just being exposed to them is enough!! For the kids....doesn't bear thinking about.

One aspect of your job I definitely don't envy, Deb.
There must be some really, really bad days to recover from. Sad
msolga

Reply Fri 30 Jan, 2009 05:01 pm
9:50 am in Melbourne. It's warming up already, BUT only a maximum of 37 c today! I can't believe this is a cause for rejoicing Neutral , but it's definitely an improvent on yesterday .

I have been busy (striking before the iron gets hot!!):

I've collected 3 loads of washing from the clothesline! (It did dry overnight!) Now I can face the coming week with total confidence! 24 pairs of clean nickers! Yay.Laughing

Watered the most desperate, stressed plants with grey water. (I saw wrigglers, about to hatch in the buckets, hinge. Worrying about that Dengue threat now.)

Observed the totally dead "lawn" in my backyard. All yellow & crunchy under my feet.

Fresh water for the cat bowls, fresh water for the bird bath ...

Opened every single door & window in my little house. Fresh, clean air (Aaaaah!) before the shut-down/drawn blinds regime for the rest of the day.

Resisted the appeal to chase my cat up & down the (outside) decking. An invitation to play. Is she crazy or something? I was hot & sweaty enough from collecting the clothes & bringing them inside! Silly critter.Smile

Thinking this afternoon would be an excellent time to visit my favourite cinema & watch a movie in air conditioned comfort! I think I'd better drive the car there, though ... something like 1300 (Shocked) cancelled trains in Melbourne, in the past 2 days.

I'm thinking of djjd & other northern hemisphere A2Kers, knee-deep in snow. Sounds good to me! Very Happy

Thinking of the folk in northern Victoria & the vulnerable (to bushfires) areas of SA. Thinking of the folk in Gippsland, as I here nasty predictions of wind changes this afternoon on the news. Good luck, everyone. Fingers crossed!
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Fri 30 Jan, 2009 06:10 pm
@msolga,
msolga wrote:

Quote:

One aspect of your job I definitely don't envy, Deb.
There must be some really, really bad days to recover from. Sad

I think I have stopped recovering and I am just slowly deteriorating.

It's a question of who runs out first...me or the mortgage!
msolga

Reply Fri 30 Jan, 2009 06:22 pm
@dlowan,
Quote:
I think I have stopped recovering and I am just slowly deteriorating.

It's a question of who runs out first...me or the mortgage!

<Giving the wabbit under the chin scritches & head pats, plus a nice, juicey carrot>

Ah I know that that's heat stroke-induced talk, Deb. (Though I have absolutely no illusions about the strains of your work. And that doing it for a long time could undertandably wear one down, from time to time. )

But it's been a tough week & you are probably not your naturally reslient self this morning. (Let's face it. Who is? Certainly not me! Wink )

dlowan

Reply Fri 30 Jan, 2009 06:38 pm
@msolga,
Lol!!! Nah.

You know, seriously, I've been doing this stuff for nearly 30 years.

I'm tired. Heat or no heat.

But, I presume ANYbody is tired after 30 years!!!

msolga

Reply Fri 30 Jan, 2009 06:46 pm
@dlowan,
Of course they are!

And of course I was! Which is why my fabulous "career path" (ha!) ended up derailed & out the window!

Wink
msolga

Reply Fri 30 Jan, 2009 06:49 pm
@msolga,
... I'm still letting you keep the carrot, despite this not being a crisis! Wink
dlowan

Reply Fri 30 Jan, 2009 06:52 pm
@msolga,
Oh? What, if one may presume to ask, was your "fabulous career path"?
dlowan

Reply Fri 30 Jan, 2009 06:53 pm
@msolga,
You're a Mensch.

It's kind of a slow, ongoing crisis, really...so the carrot will be good.

msolga

Reply Fri 30 Jan, 2009 07:07 pm
@dlowan,
Ha! My fabulous career path!
I was an absolutely obsessive, addicted, committed public school teacher (& unionist!).)
While recognizing, pretty early on, that I was not "administration material" (Ugh! Eeek! No, no!) I managed to find many intriguing & satisfying "side" projects & diversions, one or two I became very good at. Anyway, I foolishly imagined that that I could remain happily committed in the face-to-face classroom situation indefinitely, ideals & energy intact! I have never been particularly interested in getting rich & definitely not "advancement" into administration. But you have no idea of how much the other stuff meant to me.
I'm here to say I couldn't pull that one off. It looks rather like political romanticism to me now. But, till I became bitter & twisted Wink , I was perfectly happy for years, so i shouldn't complain too much. Nothing like a thwarted idealist, I always say!
msolga

Reply Fri 30 Jan, 2009 07:10 pm
@dlowan,
Quote:
You're a Mensch.

It's kind of a slow, ongoing crisis, really...so the carrot will be good.

My pleasure.

I understand that type of crisis. I really do!
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Fri 30 Jan, 2009 07:22 pm
@msolga,
But...you're still a teacher, no?