THE MEANING OF OZ - All you need to know!

Builder

Reply Wed 13 May, 2020 03:20 pm
@Kris148,
Quote:
The flag is a connection to our colonial past..which is extinct.

Unfortunately, they exported their classist "legal" system, along with their penchant for paedophilia.

Hopefully we're on the road to eradicating the latter, by reforming the former.

Both seem rather entrenched in that other British colony, north of Mexico.

cicerone imposter

Reply Wed 13 May, 2020 04:36 pm
@Builder,
How Did the Americans Win the Revolutionary War ...
www.wonderopolis.org/wonder/how-did-the...
Also known as the American Revolution and the United States War of Independence, the conflict would quickly grow from a small civil war to a full-blown international conflict. By the time the British surrendered at Yorktown, Virginia, in 1781, the Americans had basically won their independence. Fighting would finally come to a formal end in 1783.
cicerone imposter

Reply Wed 13 May, 2020 04:39 pm
@cicerone imposter,
American colonies declare independence. In Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, the Continental Congress adopts the Declaration of Independence, which proclaims the independence of the United States of America from Great Britain and its king.
Builder

Reply Wed 13 May, 2020 08:19 pm
@cicerone imposter,
Heard of the Eureka Stockade rebellion, CI?

It was all about asserting the people's rights over the taxation/theft by our colonial overlords, (sound familiar?) and was the precursor to our independence.

hingehead

Reply Thu 14 May, 2020 05:28 pm
@jespah,
jespah wrote:
No, we don't. Seinfeld was (likely) making a joke. And a lousy one at that. He makes a ton of jokes that fall flat and that was probably one of them.

I think there's a misunderstanding here - Seinfeld was absolutely making a joke and it was good one. Neither Kris nor I are offended by it, it makes our point. You do realise our flag is the union jack next to a field of stars, right?

I'm probably misunderstanding your point, sorry.

https://www.ausyflags.com.au/wp-content/uploads/2019/02/australia-2270790_1920-e1549452737941.jpg

Note the stark difference between it and the New Zealand flag

http://www.mytripolog.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/08/new-zealand-flag-large-size.jpg

There's a bit of theme with former colonies
https://www.purposegames.com/images/games/background/134/134022.jpg

We've been perpetually in the place Canada was in the great flag debate (which they sorted in 1965 - remember this was their national flag until then
https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/e/e3/Flag_of_Canada_%281957%E2%80%931965%29.svg/300px-Flag_of_Canada_%281957%E2%80%931965%29.svg.png
Tell me that wouldn't give you a different impression of Canada if it was still their national flag.

Kris148

Reply Thu 14 May, 2020 08:18 pm
@cicerone imposter,
You are to be congratulated for sticking it to your colonial masters. How did those that regarded themselves as British finally change sides to the Revolutionary Army.
0 Replies

Kris148

Reply Thu 14 May, 2020 08:23 pm
@Builder,
Here here. Problem was once we gained our independence in 1901.. the Brits still considered us as their colonial serfs.
Kris148

Reply Thu 14 May, 2020 08:28 pm
@hingehead,
India had its own flag after independence. Even our former colony PNG made a new flag. Yet we nongs hold onto a colonial emblem that is more British than Australian. It is also so close to the Kiwi flag that I'm sure foreigners are confused which is which. We continue to have the change flag debate but sadly no referendum. Even our Kiwi cussies had one for theirs. I fear we will not have a flag change as well as another Republican referendum until our dear old Liz either abdicates or .............
0 Replies

Builder

Reply Thu 14 May, 2020 08:30 pm
@Kris148,
Australia is what I consider to be a sacrifice zone. The Brits used us for nuclear testing (not just at Maralinga) and the yanks use us for their snooping at Pine Gap and Exmouth. Soon to expand their military presence at RAAF base Tindal and Darwin.

Can't seem to give our resources away cheap enough, either.
Kris148

Reply Thu 14 May, 2020 08:35 pm
@Builder,
and the yanks use us for their snooping at Pine Gap and Exmouth. Soon to expand their military presence at RAAF base Tindal and Darwin.

I am fine with the Yanks presence on our soil. With China sniffing around our territory we need our American friends. I am also ok selling off our resourses cheaply to our friends and allies.
0 Replies

Kris148

Reply Thu 14 May, 2020 08:40 pm
There's a bit of theme with former colonies

Some Brits are living in Cookoo land still thinking they possess their empire.
0 Replies

hingehead

Reply Thu 14 May, 2020 11:20 pm
@Kris148,
Quote:
Here here. Problem was once we gained our independence in 1901.. the Brits still considered us as their colonial serfs.

I semi-disagree with this, in that plenty of Australians considered us the Brits' colonial serfs too.

Thus the slaughter from Gallipoli to Singapore, Menzies creepy stalking of Queen Elizabeth, Howard's sabotage of the Republic Referendum and the continued existence of recalcitrants like Tony Abbott and the simpering David Fecking Flint, national convenor of Australians for Constitutional Monarchy.
Setanta

Reply Thu 14 May, 2020 11:37 pm
Credit where it's due, though. John Curtin refused to knuckle under to Churchill. He refused to release Australian troops being shipped back to Oz for service in Burma. He also announced that Australia would tie its fortunes to the United States (irritating the **** out of Churchill). He got the act passed which effectively made Oz an independent dominion. Then, in 1943, when the immediate threat of Japanese invasion was past, he loosened ties with the U.S., and strengthened ties with London. I don't claim to be an expert of Australian history, but Curtin impressed me as setting an independent course for the nation.
Kris148

Reply Fri 15 May, 2020 12:56 am
@hingehead,
Menzies creepy stalking of Queen Elizabeth Please explain. I agree with all else you posted tho I admire Tony Abbott. Is a man of his convictions.
Kris148

Reply Fri 15 May, 2020 01:06 am
@Setanta,
Correct. If not for the brave actions of John Curtin we'd probably be speaking Japanese today. Some credit also to Menzies who was our first leader not to kow tow to Churchill. Curtin, tho, like many Australians was unimpressed.. nay deeply insulted.. by MacArthur's allegations that Aussie troops were cowards and "not up for a fight". Our General Blamey also tore strips off him. The pipe smoking American general was made to eat his words a year or so later when our out manned and armed Diggers stopped the Japs at Kokoda then pushed them out of PNG. There was an excellent Aussie mini series about this in the 80s. Love to watch that again. Now what was it called.
0 Replies

ascribbler

Reply Fri 15 May, 2020 07:19 am
@Kris148,
Quote:
I admire Tony Abbott.

"No man is the suppository of all wisdom."

https://www.pri.org/stories/2014-04-24/11-ways-tony-abbott-ruining-australia-and-threatening-whole-world

Kris148

Reply Fri 15 May, 2020 09:33 pm
@ascribbler,
Depends whether you agree with all his policies. I agree with some of those eleven points. Against big time reintroduction of knighthoods, which got short shift when suggested. His climate change policies..archaic, defunding the exceptional CSIRO, backing further Israel settlements in Palestine, and finally, allowing coal companies to dredge and dump soil for a port near the Great Barrier Reef.
0 Replies

hingehead

Reply Sat 16 May, 2020 03:14 am
@Kris148,
"I did but see her passing by, but yet I love her till I die" Menzies quoting English poet Thomas Ford in reference to Queen Elizabeth II during her 1954 tour of Australia.
https://www.smh.com.au/national/we-did-but-see-her-20040207-gdib5u.html

Tony Abbott should be convicted: climate change denying, paedophile supporting misogynist that he is. His vocal support of an the openly racist fascist dictator of Hungary Viktor Orban shows his true character (now that he doesn't have to pretend to be a decent human being post-politics)
https://www.theguardian.com/australia-news/2019/sep/13/tony-abbott-doubles-down-on-praise-for-hungarys-far-right-pm-viktor-orban

Wore his christianity on his sleeve while doing the most incredibly unchristian things to refugees - and staining our politics for over a decade (although he is not alone in that).
Builder

Reply Sun 17 May, 2020 01:59 am
@hingehead,
Abbott is such a simpleton, you've gotta wonder at the how and why he got anywhere near the role in the first instance.

Such is the power of the Mudrock press, that the destruction of Julia Gillard by Rupert and co. meant that, for a very short time, Abbott appeared to be our nation's leader.

The current tory mob are no better, but then the ALP seems bereft of talent as well.

Penny Wong aside, there's nothing or nobody of note at all.
ascribbler

Reply Sun 17 May, 2020 02:54 am
@Builder,
Goodness, someone thumbed you down, I can't help but wonder who.

Yeah, Penny is superlative, although some people don't like her for some reasons.

To be fair, Tony is a Rhodes Scholar and his daughter won a scholarship too.