THE MEANING OF OZ - All you need to know!

izzythepush

Reply Tue 9 Apr, 2019 01:03 am
@hingehead,
Our new 50p piece, celebrating leaving the EU, was due to be released on 29th March. It hasn't been.
0 Replies

Olivier5

Reply Fri 6 Sep, 2019 08:38 am
Saw a rather surprising series of pics in WaPo on "bachelor and spinster balls" in Australia, by a certain Ingvar Kenne. Seems like loads of fun.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/photography/2019/06/28/surreal-photos-two-year-odyssey-experiencing-rural-australias-bachelor-spinster-balls/

https://www.washingtonpost.com/resizer/YYAS5pXw1xuZQ2JWrN1V5nDFOxA=/1484x0/arc-anglerfish-washpost-prod-washpost.s3.amazonaws.com/public/Q6EXDGUY5MI6TGQW3RKR5JNEHM.jpg

https://www.washingtonpost.com/resizer/euzi1epYcIXDBUEsg6YUMxuQyTw=/1484x0/arc-anglerfish-washpost-prod-washpost.s3.amazonaws.com/public/PY5LB5EY5MI6TGQW3RKR5JNEHM.jpg

http://ingvarkenne.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/11/002_Lowood_BNS_1153.jpg
hingehead

Reply Sat 7 Sep, 2019 06:54 am
@Olivier5,
B&S balls are the pits

Unless of course you like to drive 500k to throw up on someone.
Olivier5

Reply Sat 7 Sep, 2019 07:31 am
@hingehead,
What's with the colors?
hingehead

Reply Sun 8 Sep, 2019 04:14 pm
@Olivier5,
Coloured Runs and Festivals sort of got trendy four or five years ago (vaguely inspired by India's Holi festival) - unsurprising that it's trickled down the B&S scene - here's the local company that sells the powders https://www.colourpowderaustralia.com.au/
0 Replies

Builder

Reply Mon 10 Feb, 2020 06:50 pm
Droughts and flooding rains.

Three weeks after I extended our pipes out into the dam ten metres, to get clean water to the irrigation pumps, we had 15 megalitres at least overnight enter the dam, overflowing the spillway.

Such a land of contrasts.
cherrie

Reply Tue 11 Feb, 2020 09:47 pm
@Builder,
Either bushfires or floods. Or both at the same time.

Eastern Victoria has had so much rain lately that they are being warned about flash flooding, landslides, falling trees and wet and slippery conditions on tracks and roads.

Firefighters have been pulled out of some areas because it has become too dangerous for them to work while it's so wet.

The irony of it.
Builder

Reply Wed 12 Feb, 2020 04:37 pm
@cherrie,
It's a late wet season; much too late for many, unfortunately.

I'm yet to hear word from those who lost it all, whether they're being dicked around by insurers, or not.

Still raining here, with more to come.

Lakeside living ain't so grand, when the lake comes up under your feet.

Must look at clearing the spillway of weeds today, and maybe get the digger in there.
cicerone imposter

Reply Fri 14 Feb, 2020 12:39 pm
@Builder,
When the majority buys their home, they don't think about the potential natural disasters that can impact their home. By luck, we bought our home that's 125 feet above sea level, and we didn't learn this until many years after we bought it. However, we did notice during the rainy season that our street always drained the water down the street. Pure luck.
Builder

Reply Fri 14 Feb, 2020 06:54 pm
@cicerone imposter,
We actually moved into the mountains, because where we were, was only metres above sea level, and there's lots of seismic activity in the Ring of Fire on New Zealand's north island.

If that one goes big time, our whole east coast is going under.

0 Replies

margo

Reply Mon 24 Feb, 2020 11:53 am
Drought, fire, flooding rains! We've got 'em all - at once.

Dorothea Mackellar understated.
blatham

Reply Mon 24 Feb, 2020 03:02 pm
@margo,
I saw some coverage on the flooding. Sorry.
0 Replies

Kris148

Reply Sat 9 May, 2020 11:54 pm
@msolga,
To this Australian the following is cringeworthy.
GOVERNOR-GENERAL: neither a governor nor a general, the G-G is the old school tie that binds the country to its colonial past. Worn around the neck of the body politic.
0 Replies

Kris148

Reply Sun 10 May, 2020 12:03 am
@margo,
Yes that was some summer. Was a bit like the seven plagues of Egypt in the Bible. The hottest dry spell on record, some of the most extreme of all cyclones flooding large parts our tropical north and the most ferocious wildfires that scorched large swathes of our massive island continent.
0 Replies

Kris148

Reply Tue 12 May, 2020 08:36 pm
@msolga,
FLAG: as symbols go, it's unsurpassable. Australians have fought for their flag, marched under it, competed for it, performed for it, even sacrificed themselves for it. And that's just the one with the gloved kangaroo on it.

Laughing I am a proud Australian but I dislike our national flag.. the one with a foreign flag on it. Yes people say that is our heritage. C'mon we loosened the apron strings in 1901 when we started to self govern ourselves as a nation. The flag is a connection to our colonial past..which is extinct.
hingehead

Reply Tue 12 May, 2020 10:13 pm
@Kris148,
My favourite line from the 2000 Olympics was Gerry Seinfeld (who I don't particularly like) commenting on the Australian flag "I love it, Britain at night".
Kris148

Reply Wed 13 May, 2020 04:46 am
@hingehead,
Precisely. The Yanks still see us as a Brit possession. It grates me.
jespah

Reply Wed 13 May, 2020 06:18 am
@Kris148,
No, we don't. Seinfeld was (likely) making a joke. And a lousy one at that. He makes a ton of jokes that fall flat and that was probably one of them.

The rest of us? People who know you're independent know better. And people who don't probably don't realize you were ever a possession of the UK.
roger

Reply Wed 13 May, 2020 11:10 am
@jespah,
Some of us still think Australia is almost as big as Texas.

Many of them are from Texas.
glitterbag

Reply Wed 13 May, 2020 11:19 am
@roger,
That's funny (but sadly true)
0 Replies