THE MEANING OF OZ - All you need to know!

hingehead

Reply Thu 10 Aug, 2017 11:48 pm
@eurocelticyankee,
PS - for some reason many of our tourists and expat workers seem to 'beef up' the accent overseas. It's getting a lot milder here (so much TV and music from elsewhere).

I'm thankful for the 'loud Australian' when I'm overseas. I pretend I don't speak English and head in the other direction.

What really freaks me though is people getting South African, New Zealand and Australian accents mixed up. WTF?
izzythepush

Reply Fri 11 Aug, 2017 12:50 am
@hingehead,
hingehead wrote:

PS - for some reason many of our tourists and expat workers seem to 'beef up' the accent overseas.

If they don't we can't copy them.

0 Replies

Builder

Reply Sat 12 Aug, 2017 02:13 pm
@hingehead,
Quote:
It's getting a lot milder here (so much TV and music from elsewhere).

Depends where "here" is, Hinge. The northwest, and the NT, and anywhere west of the great divide, on the east coast, Strine is still strong.

Most noticeable amongst the rodeo and campdraft "set".

When I came back from the west Kimberley, people called me Crikey for a while.
0 Replies

eurocelticyankee

Reply Sun 13 Aug, 2017 01:55 pm
Thanks one and all for info on Aussie dialects, i'll impress me Aussie mates when i tell them to ease up on the strine there mate.

Now for something completely different.

Wallaby burgers, are they alright to eat, what do they taste like and is it considered ok to eat them in Oz?.
It seems we have, i was going to say a herd but apparently it's a mob, living on Lambay island just off Dublin.
A mob?, it doesn't augur well when a group of anything is called a mob.

Anyhow a what the Brits would call, entrepreneurial chappie and we would call a cute whore has got a licence to cull a few and sell them in his butcher shop and i was just wondering should i or shouldn't i.
The animal rights lobby are well pissed off about it.
hingehead

Reply Sun 13 Aug, 2017 06:00 pm
@eurocelticyankee,
Can't say I've eaten wallaby. But I have eaten plenty of kangaroo. It can be challenging to cook - easy to overdo. Should be rare/medium rare - really hot pan. Serve with Shiraz :-)

I can understand the animal activists sentiments, but if we're going to eat meat I think kangaroos are a hell of lot better on the environment than beef cattle.

And if you have to cull anyway - why waste the protein?
0 Replies

hingehead

Reply Sun 13 Aug, 2017 06:08 pm
@eurocelticyankee,
PS - it's very lean meat, so can tend to dryness when cooked.
Builder

Reply Mon 14 Aug, 2017 01:12 am
@hingehead,
Makes average jerky. Both roo and wallaby are slightly gamey to taste, and cubed on a skewer, and cooked over flame rather briefly is a good way to keep the juice in.

The thing with roos and wallabies is, if the fodder is abundant, they produce endlessly. They unfortunately do need to be culled, because they will overpopulate when on easy street.
eurocelticyankee

Reply Mon 14 Aug, 2017 05:54 am
@Builder,
Thanks H/H and Mr B,
Well by the sound of it i don't think it would be my cup of tea, so i'll probably give it a miss. I like a nice juicy steak, although i couldn't agree with you more about the effect the beef industry is having on the environment.

It's a bit of an issue over here at the moment. We're the biggest beef exporter in Europe and 5th largest in the world. That's saying something for a country the size of Ireland. We're possibly too dependent on it and then you have the good ol' EU about to impose heavy fines on us for all sorts of reasons. Over production of milk, emissions, blah blah, etc.

G'day guys.
http://oldmooresalmanac.com/4910/
0 Replies

margo

Reply Tue 15 Aug, 2017 01:11 am
Whaddya mean we have accents???

I don't have a bloody accent. I speak like a proper person!
hingehead

Reply Wed 16 Aug, 2017 10:02 pm
@margo,
wotcha garn on abowt?
dlowan

Reply Thu 17 Aug, 2017 12:17 am
@hingehead,
Euroceltic Yankee's question re dialects above.
cicerone imposter

Reply Thu 17 Aug, 2017 11:07 am
@margo,
Yea. I just read your post, and didn't notice any accent.
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Tue 5 Sep, 2017 11:02 am
@dlowan,
JEEEZUS H CHRISE> I ve jus been listening to a "tourist show" from OZ. ALL it was was a terror laden commercial about how EVERYTHING in Australia i gonna kill you while you sleep. This one was about the Australian Paralysis tick. Ever hear of it???

Wait till Australia reconnects with the SubAsian Continent. Theres enough evil creatures that are gonna get loose all over NK ,Japan,China and Inja that people will be decimated from poison bites , stings, and bacterial infested licks.

hingehead

Reply Tue 5 Sep, 2017 05:18 pm
@farmerman,
Yep, paralysis ticks are a huge issue where I am. The local vet even keeps a running list in the foyer of cases treated monthly so you can see when it's peaking (usually early dry season) and be doubly vision.

Both our dogs have had them - but we noticed the symptoms pretty quickly and each only had to overnight while they got the serum.

The older dog got a second one on her eyelid a couple of years ago, had to have her sewn shut while she healed but she's still going strong (17 next birthday!).

The ticks excrete into the blood stream of the animal they're taking the blood from - the symptoms are pretty dramatic, in 24 hours you'll notice your dog bump into things, throw up yellow bile, lose appettite, then start losing control of rear legs (we've never got to that last one but I've heard lots of other people have).

I have heard of one human getting one - but from memory the symptoms weren't quite the same.
0 Replies

hingehead

Reply Tue 5 Sep, 2017 05:24 pm
Guess I was wrong about Australia being more internally mobile than the US!

http://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2013/05/16/article-2325290-19CDD5E4000005DC-846_634x378.jpg

Although this is from the Daily Mail -which sucks.
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2325396/New-Zealanders-mobile-nation-quarter-swapped-cities-past-years.html
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Wed 6 Sep, 2017 04:53 pm
@farmerman,
Unfortunately, fear works on many. We've been having a doomsday scenario on the stock market for the past couple of years. Many poor souls sold their equity/funds investments, and put them into bonds that pays nothing.
From June 25, 2017: "With the stock market near a record high, investors are feeling pretty good about themselves. And that may be a bad sign.

"Fear tactics seems to be the pundits rhetoric for every year." Just look at the US economy; it keeps growing at over 2% every year. Our one year return is 12.8% which is a mix heavy in equities over bonds, just the opposite of what expert financial pundits tells us how to invest. If they're so smart, why are they still working? I retired early, and have enjoyed great returns except in 2008-2009. Don't listen to the fear mongers; they don't know what they are talking about. If we had followed the pundits recommendations, our returns for the past year would have been under $2,000 for every $100,000 invested, not the $12,800 we got.
Here's the 10 year graph on the stock market. You decide.
https://tradingeconomics.com/united-states/stock-market
tsarstepan

Reply Fri 16 Mar, 2018 01:05 pm
@cicerone imposter,
tsarstepan

Reply Sat 14 Apr, 2018 08:45 pm
@tsarstepan,
tsarstepan

Reply Sun 6 Jan, 2019 11:00 am
@tsarstepan,
0 Replies

margo

Reply Mon 7 Jan, 2019 01:45 pm
Oh! Good grief!

Although #2 is partially correct. There are some disused/abandoned tunnels under Sydney. There are occasional tours of them. The other stuff is crap!