THE MEANING OF OZ - All you need to know!

hingehead

Reply Sun 12 Feb, 2017 05:03 pm
@Builder,
Did you hear about the FOI request that shows that the Government was advised that the SA blackouts were not the fault of renewables, but the storm damage to the distribution network?

It's hard not to escape the conclusion that this government is looking for ways to discredit renewables at the behest of the fossil fuel lobby.

I'm about to hunt out the reason (unless one of you can enlighten me) why the back up gas generators were not turned on in the recent black out - and are they owned by the same fossil fuel lobbyists trying desperately to discredit renewables and shore up their profits?

https://theconversation.com/why-did-energy-regulators-deliberately-turn-out-the-lights-in-south-australia-72729
0 Replies

Builder

Reply Mon 13 Feb, 2017 03:16 am
The cockwombles pretending to manage our future are handing around a chunk of coal in parliament, if that gives you some idea of their "efforts" towards a renewable future, Hinge.

When you don't actually have to pay for anything, like power and water and accommodation, like these parasites in parliament, I guess it's okay to poo-pooh renewable energy, and pretend that digging whopping big holes in the ground, and burning stuff, is quite modern, really.

hingehead

Reply Mon 13 Feb, 2017 05:20 pm
@Builder,
I've been thinking a lot lately, but haven't refined it, about the most efficient way of carbon sequestration. I think it's coal. We use it to store millions of tons of carbon extracted from the atmosphere for millions of years by plant life.

Now these idiots think they can return it to the atmosphere in a million times shorter time span and not affect the environment.
farmerman

Reply Mon 13 Feb, 2017 05:36 pm
@hingehead,
weve been working on repumping CO2 down deep into serpentine layers (There 's nice 'ns in OZ)
Just read about Pa C sequestration into serpentine rock
Builder

Reply Tue 14 Feb, 2017 11:40 pm
@farmerman,
There's more than a few brilliant solutions to carbon sequestering afloat at the moment. What's needed, rather desperately (going on our recent heat "events") it would seem, is for the money currently wasted on the denial industry, being spent on the various viable methods at our disposal, and allocating future budget assetts for R and D into even better methods.

It's rather ironic, that those who are in the decision-making seats, won't actually be around to reap what they are currently sowing.
0 Replies

tsarstepan

Reply Thu 3 Aug, 2017 09:45 am
I know it's winter in the Upside Down world ... but ... come on. This thread is deader than the Great Barrier Reef on any given day... (?) [if that makes sense].
How to torture an Australian ... as well as other people from other countries.

https://i.imgur.com/ikoHiAh.jpg
Builder

Reply Fri 4 Aug, 2017 02:28 am
@tsarstepan,
I'd actually like to know who decided that north was up, and south was down, tsarstepan.

For mine, the heaviest end of any mobile structure weighs more, so the arctic end of the earth must be the bottom of the orb.
roger

Reply Fri 4 Aug, 2017 02:33 am
@Builder,
We put it to a vote and you're sucking hindmost teat.
Builder

Reply Fri 4 Aug, 2017 02:39 am
@roger,
I never saw the poll. Who voted?
roger

Reply Fri 4 Aug, 2017 03:19 am
@Builder,
Northern hemisphere.
Builder

Reply Sat 5 Aug, 2017 02:38 am
@roger,
We've heard about you people, on fox nooz.

Expat Aussie Roopurt Mudrock has various programmes on your species.
0 Replies

izzythepush

Reply Wed 9 Aug, 2017 04:24 am
Quote:
An Irish vet with two university degrees has been told by a computerised test that her spoken English is not good enough for an Australian visa.
Louise Kennedy, originally from County Wicklow, applied for permanent residency after two years in Australia.
She had been working as a vet in Queensland.
Ms Kennedy told the Irish Independent she thought there had been a mistake after she had failed the oral section of an English test.
"It was even such a pain to take the whole day off work to do the test and then be told I can't speak English," she said.
The mandatory test involved writing, reading and speaking, with the oral section scored by voice-recognition technology.
Ms Kennedy, who is married to an Australian and expecting her first child, said the oral test involved reading a paragraph that appeared on screen and it was "very, very easy".
However, she was told she had scored 74 points - below the 79 points required for a residency visa.
"I just thought (it was a mistake) and I'll ring them up and they'll listen to it again," she said.
The vet said she believed the failure was caused by flaws in the voice-recognition technology.
The company that runs the test, Pearson, told the Australian Associated Press there were no problems with its system.
Sasha Hampson, the head of English for Pearson Asia Pacific, said the immigration department set the bar very high for people seeking permanent residency.
Ms Kennedy said she had been offered the chance to re-do the test free of charge due to "possible interference" caused by construction work outside the centre.
She also said she had begun the process of applying for a more expensive spouse visa as there may not be enough time for her to re-do the test and and receive a skilled immigrant visa before her skilled worker visa expired.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-40868315
hingehead

Reply Wed 9 Aug, 2017 08:28 pm
@izzythepush,
eurocelticyankee

Reply Thu 10 Aug, 2017 02:20 am
@hingehead,
That's one of the things i love about Ireland and the UK, the different dialects. A few miles can make the difference in what dialect you're hearing.
Listening to them you would never think somebody from cork was from the same country as say someone from Donegal, same planet even.

I've never been to Oz but i'm assuming it's the same there. I cant imagine you all sound like Mick Dundee or the Trivago girl.
I'd assume it's the same the world over.

Oh that jockey in the sketch is definitely from Kerry, what you reckon Imur?. Smile
izzythepush

Reply Thu 10 Aug, 2017 03:08 am
@eurocelticyankee,
eurocelticyankee wrote:

I cant imagine you all sound like Mick Dundee or the Trivago girl.

Some sound like Harold Bishop.
eurocelticyankee

Reply Thu 10 Aug, 2017 03:27 am
@izzythepush,
I haven't watched Neighbours in a long long long time, still probably not long enough. I refuse to watch soaps, can't stand them.
But if i remember correctly Harold was an up-market Aussie. Church going, nicey nicey. No doubt a pervert.
izzythepush

Reply Thu 10 Aug, 2017 03:46 am
@eurocelticyankee,
I stopped watching soaps when my wife died. Harold Bishop is often used as an analogy on the Last Leg when British presenter Josh Widdicombe explains something to Ozzie Adam Hills.
eurocelticyankee

Reply Thu 10 Aug, 2017 03:53 am
@izzythepush,
I am sorry for your loss Izzy.

I've never watched the Last Leg but i will check it out.
izzythepush

Reply Thu 10 Aug, 2017 07:21 am
@eurocelticyankee,
Thanks, it was thirteen years ago now so I'm quite used to it, and I don't have to watch soaps.
0 Replies

hingehead

Reply Thu 10 Aug, 2017 11:45 pm
@eurocelticyankee,
It's kind of funny, but we do have mild accents. South Australians are particularly easy to pick. But.... it's nothing like England - even I can pick a geordie a mile off. Scousers, Lancs, Yorkshire, even Cornwall and Somerset are pretty easy to get.

The US has some pretty distinct accents too. Bahstan, Noo Joisey, all that.

The problem for Australians (apart from relatively few generations of occupation) is we are much more mobile than either the UK or the US. So relatively small proportion stay anywhere near where they grew up. Pre-industrial we wandered aimlessly snapping up land or mining for gold, and post-industrial looking for a better a city or escaping to the country.
0 Replies