THE MEANING OF OZ - All you need to know!

tsarstepan

Reply Mon 7 Jan, 2019 01:47 pm
@margo,
margo wrote:

The other stuff is crap!

DROP BEARS KILLED JFK! Mad Embarrassed Crying or Very sad Mad
hingehead

Reply Mon 7 Jan, 2019 04:36 pm
@tsarstepan,
I'm a drop bear and so's my wife!
glitterbag

Reply Mon 7 Jan, 2019 04:53 pm
@hingehead,
I had to look that up!!!!! Good scary stuff.
cicerone imposter

Reply Mon 7 Jan, 2019 06:10 pm
@glitterbag,
The word Australia when referred to informally with its first three letters becomes Aus. When Aus or Aussie, the short form for an Australian, is pronounced for fun with a hissing sound at the end, it sounds as though the word being pronounced has the spelling Oz.
Why is Australia called Oz? - Times of India
https://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/Why-is-Australia-called-Oz/articleshow/2116820.cms
hingehead

Reply Mon 7 Jan, 2019 07:46 pm
@cicerone imposter,
Wouldn't that be a buzz rather than a hiss?

I don't know how many Americans know how much Australians wince inside when you call us 'ossies' and not 'ozzies'.

Not sure why we turn the S into a Z but we do it for mosquitoes too - i.e we call them mozzies, not mossies.
hingehead

Reply Mon 7 Jan, 2019 07:48 pm
@hingehead,
In case I didn't make the pronunciation difference clear consider the difference between Pisa and Pizza.
0 Replies

cherrie

Reply Mon 7 Jan, 2019 07:59 pm
@hingehead,
hingehead wrote:

I don't know how many Americans know how much Australians wince inside when you call us 'ossies' and not 'ozzies'.

Oh god yes!
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Mon 7 Jan, 2019 08:34 pm
@hingehead,
I agree with you; I just happened to copy that one from the net.
hingehead

Reply Mon 7 Jan, 2019 09:04 pm
@cicerone imposter,
Yeah I read your cited source - some Indian guy in 2008.
cicerone imposter

Reply Tue 8 Jan, 2019 10:57 am
@hingehead,
What’s wrong with that “Indian guys” opinion? We are open to any interpretation that’s better.
hingehead

Reply Tue 8 Jan, 2019 04:34 pm
@cicerone imposter,
Like I said in my first reply Tak - it's not a hissing sound it's a buzzing sound - apart from that he's right. Australian have long truncated words and added an E or O sound to the end. it wasn't uncommon, mid last-century, for an expat to comment "I'd like to get back to Aussie for my brother's wedding." But Aussie has always been pronounced Ozzie (even though the 'aus' in 'Australia' is always pronounced 'oss').

It's not much of progression to shorten Aussie to Oz - I'm guessing around the mid to late 50s - as evidence by the birth of Oz Magazine.

The fact that it references a logic-denying, make-believe land (west of California) run by an incompetent wizard adds to the resonanance.

cicerone imposter

Reply Tue 8 Jan, 2019 05:03 pm
@hingehead,
hingehead, I've visited the Land Down Under twice, and have not had any problems with the sound of words. Have also been to Scotland, Ireland, and England, several times. I guess my ear is accustomed to different pronunciation of words having traveled to 88 countries. That brings to mind the sound of English words spoken by our parents. A proper hard R is actually just as difficult to pronounce as an L for Japanese speakers, and the hardest words to pronounce are those with both sounds (for example, parallel).l's and r's."
hingehead

Reply Tue 8 Jan, 2019 05:06 pm
@cicerone imposter,
I never suggested otherwise. But a lot of Americans say ossie instead of ozzie and it's fingernails on the blackboard of the Australian soul.
cicerone imposter

Reply Tue 8 Jan, 2019 10:03 pm
@hingehead,
Bless your tender heart.
hingehead

Reply Tue 8 Jan, 2019 10:38 pm
@cicerone imposter,
Thank you for not mentioning my soft head.
0 Replies

hingehead

Reply Thu 10 Jan, 2019 11:26 pm
https://i.pinimg.com/564x/3e/cb/93/3ecb93bedb22c0510bb6a08eaf3e9c8c.jpg
glitterbag

Reply Fri 11 Jan, 2019 12:09 am
@hingehead,
OK, but do you guys really call Speedo's Budgie Smugglers? I like that so much better.
hingehead

Reply Fri 11 Jan, 2019 12:45 am
@glitterbag,
Absolutely, a recent prime minister was famous for wearing them - and the National Broadcaster often reported on them:
https://www.facebook.com/abcnews.au/posts/tony-abbott-has-a-new-pair-of-budgie-smugglers-to-add-to-his-collectionthe-prime/10154337426364988/
glitterbag

Reply Fri 11 Jan, 2019 02:06 am
@hingehead,
Well, it's much more accurate than freaking Speedos.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Fri 11 Jan, 2019 04:24 pm
@hingehead,
"Floss" is something we use to clean our teeth with.